Teacher Mark

Interracial marriages surge across U.S.

133 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I am white and my husband is from Nigeria. I've had one friend ask me if he married me for the Greencard. My family has been very accepting. We are in Washington and prior to living here 5 years ago, I would have thought this was a really racist area. However, I've had NO comments when we've been out at restraunts or stores or whatever.

K-1 Visa Journey

03/10/2007 - Sent I-129F to NSC

06/05/2007 - Approved

06/25/2007 - NVC Case Number received

07/05/2007 - Fiance received Packets 3 and 4

09/06/2007 - INTERVIEW----- APPROVED

09/13/2007 - VISA IN HAND

09/14/2007 - POE AT JFK

10/26/2007 - Wedding

01/17/2008 - Email from CRIS that I-129 was approved!

AOS Journey

10/28/2007 - AOS mailed to Chicago via Federal Express

10/29/2007 - AOS received at Chicago

11/05/2007 - NOA for I-131, I-485, I-765

12/28/2007 - Biometrics

12/29/2007 - Case appeared on USCIS website

12/31/2007 - EAD Card Production Ordered; AP Approved

01/10/2008 - AP Received in mail

01/12/2008 - EAD Card Recieved in mail

07/24/2008 - AOS Interview

07/30/2008 -Card Production Ordered

08/11/2008 - GREEN CARD RECIEVED

04/30/2010 - ROC mailed to CA via USPS Express Mail

08/10/2010 - EAD Card Production Ordered; AOS Approved

04/24/2011 - Mailed N-400

05/12/2011 - Received I-797C

06/08/2011 - Biometrics

07/25/2011 - N-400 Interview

07/25/2011 - Oath Ceremony

MY HUSBAND IS A US CITIZEN!!!

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

And it still is. Although I hear it rarely, it's around.

What's a Spook? I think you mean the word that rhymes with Stick.

Back in the day,spook was another way to say the "N" word. :angry:

Jeffery AND Alla.

0 kilometers physically separates us!

K-1 Visa Granted... Wednesday, 21 May 2008

Alla ARRIVED to America... Wednesday, 12 November 2008

russia_a.gif Алла и Джеффри USA_a.gif

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

My opinion is that people that give you ####### are shallow dumb people.

The problem is that alot of the Americans just know their own country and nothing else,damn alot of them cant even find countries on the map and then make stupid comments...

Even worse when they cant find their own country on the map...LOL

If somebody would ever give me ####### for being German I would tell them that no American is really real American with expeption to the Native Americans.

My husbands familiy came from Germany,France just as an example.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Panama
Timeline
My opinion is that people that give you ####### are shallow dumb people.

The problem is that alot of the Americans just know their own country and nothing else,damn alot of them cant even find countries on the map and then make stupid comments...

Even worse when they cant find their own country on the map...LOL

If somebody would ever give me ####### for being German I would tell them that no American is really real American with expeption to the Native Americans.

My husbands familiy came from Germany,France just as an example.

I so used to getting #######,I just laugh.When I was a little,people would actually come up to me and ask,"What are you?"The reason some Americans can't find other countries on the map is because they do not take an interest in other cultures nor are they exposed to any other culture.As an adult,I get"Your Dominican right ?" I'll reply no,I'm Panamanian-American,and then I'll get,"What's that?" I just laugh. :lol:

May 7,2007-USCIS received I-129f
July 24,2007-NOA1 was received
April 21,2008-K-1 visa denied.
June 3,2008-waiver filed at US Consalate in Panama
The interview went well,they told him it will take another 6 months for them to adjudicate the waiver
March 3,2009-US Consulate claims they have no record of our December visit,nor Manuel's interview
March 27,2009-Manuel returned to the consulate for another interrogation(because they forgot about December's interview),and they were really rude !
April 3,2009-US Counsalate asks for more court documents that no longer exist !
June 1,2009-Manuel and I go back to the US consalate AGAIN to give them a letter from the court in Colon along with documents I already gave them last year.I was surprised to see they had two thick files for his case !

June 15,2010-They called Manuel in to take his fingerprints again,still no decision on his case!
June 22,2010-WAIVER APPROVED at 5:00pm
July 19,2010-VISA IN MANUELITO'S HAND at 3:15pm!
July 25,2010-Manuelito arrives at 9:35pm at Logan Intn'l Airport,Boston,MA
August 5,2010-FINALLY MARRIED!!!!!!!!!!!!
August 23,2010-Filed for AOS at the International Institute of RI $1400!
December 23,2010-Work authorization received.
January 12,2011-RFE

Timeline
I so used to getting #######,I just laugh.When I was a little,people would actually come up to me and ask,"What are you?"The reason some Americans can't find other countries on the map is because they do not take an interest in other cultures nor are they exposed to any other culture.As an adult,I get"Your Dominican right ?" I'll reply no,I'm Panamanian-American,and then I'll get,"What's that?" I just laugh.

Way to go,your totally right.

Well I was used to getting ####### in Germany as a kid,I half British and they used to tease me as the "Foreign one" and all that back there.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
I am white and my husband is from Nigeria. I've had one friend ask me if he married me for the Greencard. My family has been very accepting. We are in Washington and prior to living here 5 years ago, I would have thought this was a really racist area. However, I've had NO comments when we've been out at restraunts or stores or whatever.

If anyone asks if he married you for the Greencard, just tell them you don't think so, but just in case he did, you locked his Greencard up in a safe deposit box and only you have the key. :jest:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

Hi...

We've never had any problems here, but I have encountered a few idiots in Scotland.

It was not the men who said anything-it was only women. Both of us are considered "white", but I am somewhat darker than he is. I encountered some seriously backward people who assumed I was from the ME, simply b/c I didn't look like them, and made some HORRIBLY ignorant comments and was called a few nice slurs-

(behind my back, of course).

His family are ALL wonderful, and treat me as their own daughter. My family loves him as well.

I think I may have heard the "green card" comment from a friend or two-before they met him. It never really did offend me, as they were just trying to look after me. Their concern did not insult me in the least.

Rose

"I have spread my dreams under your feet

Tread softly because you tread on my dreams"

-Yeats

Timeline
His family are ALL wonderful, and treat me as their own daughter. My family loves him as well.

I think I may have heard the "green card" comment from a friend or two-before they met him. It never really did offend me, as they were just trying to look after me. Their concern did not insult me in the least.

Well thats great,my husbands family have totally accepted me too.

Besides my brother in law married a Mexican,so I think both of my husbands brothers like foreign women LOL.

Ha a greencard what do they think Europe is a third world country and we have nothing better to do than give your life's up for our SO's!!! Again shallow people that let of comments like that!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Maybe I'm so used to being with my husband that I don't notice (and definetly don't care) about other people's remarks. My family and friends all love my husband and accept him the way he is. We all know that color is not important...

My mother has told me a couple times how happy she is with my sister (who recently got married too) and my decisions in husbands. That made me feel good.

My mother was married to my dad for 18 years before going through a horrible divorce. Now she is remarried to my step-dad who is black. Her parents (my grandparents) like him but told her in the beginning that they can be friends, just not marry. I think that now they have accepted him though I'm sure they'd be happier if he were white.

Eleven + years later they're still together and I have a little sister. It's funny because my husband is not considered black (he's Native American + European), yet he's darker than my step-dad.

My husband and I live in Florida so there are tons of latinos here. I actually think there is less racism here than in Brazil. As far as our interracial relationship, I forget we're in one so I don't notice, but I don't think people look at us strange or anything. BUT, in Brazil people stared at us ALL THE TIME. I'm sure a lot had to do with me and my pasty white skin (since we lived in the Amazonian region), but it never bothered us, people were just curious.

11/2004 - Met in Brazil

09/2006 - Apply for K1

03/2007 - K1 approved

04/2007 - Apply for AOS & EAD

07/2007 - EAD approved

01/2008 - Conditional Residency approved

11/2009 - Apply to remove conditions

02/2010 - Permanent Residency approved

11/2010 - Apply for Citizenship

03/2011 - Citizenship approved

07/2011 - Moved back to Brazil

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline
Hi...

We've never had any problems here, but I have encountered a few idiots in Scotland.

It was not the men who said anything-it was only women. Both of us are considered "white", but I am somewhat darker than he is. I encountered some seriously backward people who assumed I was from the ME, simply b/c I didn't look like them, and made some HORRIBLY ignorant comments and was called a few nice slurs-

(behind my back, of course).

Rose

It's funny how some people think that everyone marrying an American is after a Green Card. In my case, when I told my brother I was getting married he asked whether my SO (the USC) was after a UK visa. "Umm no, since I'm moving over there". He replied "Well that's ok then". :wacko:

Timeline

I always tell people that my husband didn't want to move here in the first place - which is true - and that my husband asked me to stay in Brazil (where we met).

Yet when I told a Brazilian girl this she told me that my husband was being selfish to ask me to stay there since life is better here.

Goes to show you can't please everyone, so I stopped trying a long time agoooooo.....

11/2004 - Met in Brazil

09/2006 - Apply for K1

03/2007 - K1 approved

07/2007 - EAD approved

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
I always tell people that my husband didn't want to move here in the first place - which is true - and that my husband asked me to stay in Brazil (where we met).

Yet when I told a Brazilian girl this she told me that my husband was being selfish to ask me to stay there since life is better here.

Goes to show you can't please everyone, so I stopped trying a long time agoooooo.....

Why even bother telling people that? You can't make people think different from what they're not already thinking. (Especially on VJ, where people know that lots of scammers at first try to convince the USC to stay or live in their country. Don't know if this conversation happened on VJ or in real life; just saying.)

Filed: Timeline

Why even bother telling people that? You can't make people think different from what they're not already thinking. (Especially on VJ, where people know that lots of scammers at first try to convince the USC to stay or live in their country. Don't know if this conversation happened on VJ or in real life; just saying.)

I disagree. I think we all have the ability to change people's perceptions.

Timeline

If I choose to tell some people that then it's up to me.

I've never said anything like that on VJ.

11/2004 - Met in Brazil

09/2006 - Apply for K1

03/2007 - K1 approved

07/2007 - EAD approved

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

s

If I choose to tell some people that then it's up to me.

I've never said anything like that on VJ.

First, I've seen you say that around VJ a few times, but that's neither here nor there. My point was not to be offensive. I just meant, why waste time? You know in your heart that he's not here for a GC, but some people are going to expect that he is, even if they see you together... I decided to stop worrying about it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.