Ol D

Contacting cogressman for help

7 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

My mother was denied in getting her tourist visa in Russia. (I am a permanent resident applying for my citizenship.)

When she had her interview a c/o asked if she has more children in Russia (she doesn't); if she is divorced (my mother is divorced for 33 years and my father died a couple years ago). But my mother has her job in Russia and owns a small apartment. Anyways c/o said that he doesn't see strong ties in Russia and denied her in tourist visa.

Unfortunately, we can't visit my mother now and have to wait for at least 8 months. Our son was born two months ago, and it would be a very hard trip for him.

I wanted my mother to come for a visit so she could see her first grandson. Is it worth to apply again?

Can congressman help in this situation?

Thanks a lot.

----------------------------------------------------------------

01/15/2004 Got Married in Russia, St.Petersburg

CR1

03/22/2004 mailed out I-130 app to CSC

03/24/2004 1st NOA; California

08/13/2004 Online status: Approved I-130 through CA

K-3

04/21/2004 Mailed out I-129f K3 packet to Missouri

04/28/2004 1st NOA; Missouri

11/03/2004 "touched"

11/04/2004 "touched"

11/05/2004 approved

11/08/2004 got 2NOA by mail

11/10/2004 NVC received and assigned a case#

11/17/2004 2NOA by email

11/18/2004 NVC forwards petition to Moscow

12/11/2004 received Packet 4 from Moscow

12/14/2004 Saw the interview date set on-line

NVC

08/16/2004 Received by NVC

09/13/2004 assigned a case#

09/28/2004 NVC sends I-864 & IV fee bills

10/19/2004 recieved I-864 & IV fee bills

10/22/2004 sent the I-864 & IV fee bills to NVC

10/24/2004 NVC got the I-864 & IV fee bills

11/12/2004 NVC entered I-864 & IV fee bills to their system

11/17/2004 recieved DS-230 and I-864 forms

12/7/2004 NVC entered DS-230&I-864 forms to their system

12/21/2004 NVC completed case review

12/28/2004 NVC forwards petition to Moscow

01/14/2005 recieved by Moscow consulate

02/10/2005 successful CR1 interview

My mother was denied in getting her tourist visa in Russia. (I am a permanent resident applying for my citizenship.)

When she had her interview a c/o asked if she has more children in Russia (she doesn't); if she is divorced (my mother is divorced for 33 years and my father died a couple years ago). But my mother has her job in Russia and owns a small apartment. Anyways c/o said that he doesn't see strong ties in Russia and denied her in tourist visa.

Unfortunately, we can't visit my mother now and have to wait for at least 8 months. Our son was born two months ago, and it would be a very hard trip for him.

I wanted my mother to come for a visit so she could see her first grandson. Is it worth to apply again?

Can congressman help in this situation?

Thanks a lot.

It is a very common reason to deny tourist visa. She can try again. Your mom can take her apartment ownership paper, job paper, etc. You can write a letter (explain that you want your mom to see your new born child, your mom will go back to Russia after spending sometime with you, and it is not possible for you to visit your mom at this time) to Embassy which your mom can take with her for the interview, if she tries again. Your Congressman can write the Embassy, but it is upto the Embassy whether to issue tourist visa or not. Good luck.

I-130 Timeline with USCIS:

It took 92 days for I-130 to get approved from the filing date

NVC Process of I-130:

It took 78 days to complete the NVC process

Interview Process at The U.S. Embassy

Interview took 223 days from the I-130 filing date. Immigrant Visa was issued right after the interview

Ol D

Sorry to hear this.

In my case a Senator helped. My dad was denied his tourist visa in June 2007. I live in Illinois and called Senator Barack Obama's offices (all 6 of them).

Someone from 2 of his offices in the Immigration department returned my call. (I believe they were both summer interns)

They wrote a letter to the Embassy in Cape Town and when my dad returned a few days later a tourist visa was issued for 4 weeks.

(My situation was that my mom was already here on vacation- she has a 10 year tourist visa and they first said because she was here, my dad would have to come when she was at home - my parents wanted to vacation together !!! anyhow, My son was 1 last year - also my parents first grandson, and it would be my dad's first time seeing him.

My dad however has 2 other children in SA (my sister and brother), my sister was still in school, he also owns a house and his own business that he has had for 28 years... so he has a lot of ties to SA)

Anyhow, the bottom line is that in my case a letter from the Senator did help my dad's case and Senator Obama's office was extremely helpful! Although they did tell me that their involvement would not guarantee an approval.

I can't tell you whether she should apply again or not (it's expensive!) but it did help me.

good luck to you - I know the sad feeling I had when my dad called me and told him he was denied :(:crying:

Sept 10, 2001... Arrived in US (J1)

Sept 2002... AOS (J1 to F1)

March 2003...AOS Approved

May 2003... Flew to SA. Reapplied for F1. RFE and Finally Approved. 2 year F1 visa in Passport.

Jan 21 2004... Married in Chicago

Aug 2004... Applied for AOS, Petition for spouse and EAD

Feb 2005... Joshua, our little cutie pie is born on SuperBowl Sunday

May 2005... EAD Approved

Dec 17 2005... AOS & Petition approved (2 year green-card received)

Aug 4 2007... Mailed in I-751 = $275 (remove conditions)

Aug 31 2007... Everything returned, filed too early, wrong fee

Sept 17 2007 Refiled to NSC

Sept 18 2007... Delivered by DHL to NSC

Oct 10 2007... Received at CSC

Oct 15 2007... Check cashed, transfered to CSC

Oct 15 2007... Received 1st notice with application number and 1 year extension. Notice Dated 9/19/07

Nov 1 2007... tried walk-in biometrics, refused

Nov 8 2007...Biometrics completed. Staff at Naperville ASC were great!

Nov 9 2007... Last touch

March 7 2008... Card production ordered!!!!!!!! 5 months, 2 weeks and 5 days

March 12 2008... Case Status: Approval notice sent

March 15 2008...Green card received in mail...so done with USCIS done for a few years!!!!!! :)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline
Ol D

Sorry to hear this.

In my case a Senator helped. My dad was denied his tourist visa in June 2007. I live in Illinois and called Senator Barack Obama's offices (all 6 of them).

Someone from 2 of his offices in the Immigration department returned my call. (I believe they were both summer interns)

They wrote a letter to the Embassy in Cape Town and when my dad returned a few days later a tourist visa was issued for 4 weeks.

(My situation was that my mom was already here on vacation- she has a 10 year tourist visa and they first said because she was here, my dad would have to come when she was at home - my parents wanted to vacation together !!! anyhow, My son was 1 last year - also my parents first grandson, and it would be my dad's first time seeing him.

My dad however has 2 other children in SA (my sister and brother), my sister was still in school, he also owns a house and his own business that he has had for 28 years... so he has a lot of ties to SA)

Anyhow, the bottom line is that in my case a letter from the Senator did help my dad's case and Senator Obama's office was extremely helpful! Although they did tell me that their involvement would not guarantee an approval.

I can't tell you whether she should apply again or not (it's expensive!) but it did help me.

good luck to you - I know the sad feeling I had when my dad called me and told him he was denied :(:crying:

Lucky for you, Barack Obama is a lot more useful than most senators. :lol:

Your dad looks like he has a lot more ties than this person's mother does... I mean, to the OP ... you can try to get a congressman involved but with tourist visas, the onus is on you to prove you do not intend to immigrate and all interviews take place with the assumption that IS your intent. If they don't feel your evidence is strong enough, they won't approve it. My sister in law owns a business and has an apartment in Peru, and they'll never approve her. My other sister in law leaves at least one of her kids there, and her husband, (also has a house, but no job) and has never had any issue at the POE or getting approved for a tourist visa.

It's all dependent on the situation.

this is the way the world ends

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

A CO can approve or deny a visa any time he/she wants or for whatever reasons, if any. Visas are denied daily all over the world and it will be a very good struck of luck to have a senator's office help you get a loved one here. I also know of people who have absolutely nothing tying them to their home country with intentions to stay in the States for good and get a visa approved right away. And I also know people who have no desire to stay in the States, who own property, have good jobs, good money in their bank accounts and have been denied time and time again.

It's a gamble.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Isn't it strange the way the embassy has unfettered decision making power. My in-laws were denied their tourist visas in Bogota this week. They are in their 60's, own a farm, and have strong ties to home. Their, or his problem was he has a brother who is a political refugee and a sister who is married in the US, as well as my wife. The CO denied the visa based on the fact he could not find any of the above in the computer system. He went as far as saying all were here illegally, including my wife who has her green card. I am writing my senators even though I know there is not much they can. I don't mind being turned down if the reason is legit, but to arbitrarily deny based on false information just doesn't sit well. Wish there was more we could do.

Doug

I-130

2006 09 06 Mailed I-130

2006 09 07 Rec'd at CA Center

2006 09 13 I-130 NOA1 receipt date

2006 11 22 NOA2, approved

2007 02 15 Case complete at NVC

2007 02 21 Case forwarded to Bogota Embassy

2007 02 23 Case received at Embassy

2007 04 12 Interview,VISA GRANTED

I-751- Removing Conditions

2009 04 08 Overnight Application

2009 04 09 Rec'd Application at CSC

2009 04 17 Rec'd NOA

2009 05 10 Called CSC - No Biometrix letter, 45 day Inquiry starts

2009 05 18 Made Info Pass appointment for June 2

2009 05 26 Rec'd response and copy of Bio Appt letter dated May 14, Appt on May 28

2009 05 27 Biometrix-walked in a day early and completed appointment

2009 06 01 Approved Conditions Removed (rec'd Congratulations letter on June 9)

2009 06 12 Touched but nothing changed on USCIS website

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.