chaishai

MENA diet/exercise thread

1,807 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline
We had an all meat chili for dinner. Well...I should say I had the all meat chili (Hicham added some spicy chili beans to his). It is really good and better than using the prepared mixes as it has no sugar in the recipe. What I did not tell Hicham is that I substituted 2 pounds of ground turkey breast for the ground beef to reduce the fat content. :whistle: This recipe is really good and you can add what you like to make it more spicy. For instance, I doubled all the spices and added some cayenne pepper for good measure (yes...we like things hot around here). It cooked all day in the crock pot and was delicious!

Twila

All-Meat Chili (6 servings)

2 pounds of ground beef

1 chopped onion

3 cloves garlic, crushed

1 can (14.5 oz) tomatoes with green chilies

1 can (4 oz) tomato sauce

4 tsps ground cumin

2 tsps dried oregano

2 tsps unsweetened cocoa powder

1 tsp paprika

1. Brown the meat and drain. Add the onion, garlic, tomatoes, tomato sauce, cumin, oregano, cocoa, and paprika. Stir to combine.

2. Turn the burner to low, cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Uncover and simmer for another 15 to 20 minutes, or until the chili thickens a bit. Serve with your favorite toppings.

oooooh cocoa powder, antioxidants, me likey!

we are off wine for a while so i need other sources of antioxidants. although i probably had enough antioxidants thru wine in the past year to increase the longevity of an entire country

where do you get tomatoes with green chillies?

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline
We had an all meat chili for dinner. Well...I should say I had the all meat chili (Hicham added some spicy chili beans to his). It is really good and better than using the prepared mixes as it has no sugar in the recipe. What I did not tell Hicham is that I substituted 2 pounds of ground turkey breast for the ground beef to reduce the fat content. :whistle: This recipe is really good and you can add what you like to make it more spicy. For instance, I doubled all the spices and added some cayenne pepper for good measure (yes...we like things hot around here). It cooked all day in the crock pot and was delicious!

Twila

2 pounds of ground beef

1 chopped onion

3 cloves garlic, crushed

4 tsps ground cumin

2 tsps dried oregano

1 tsp paprika

1. Brown the meat and drain. Add the onion, garlic, tomatoes, tomato sauce, cumin, oregano, cocoa, and paprika. Stir to combine.

2. Turn the burner to low, cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Uncover and simmer for another 15 to 20 minutes, or until the chili thickens a bit. Serve with your favorite toppings.

we are off wine for a while so i need other sources of antioxidants. although i probably had enough antioxidants thru wine in the past year to increase the longevity of an entire country

Looks yummy, Twila ! We love chili, and we always make it with ground turkey. I add dark red kidney beans -- sometimes even some cooked macaroni (bad bad bad if you're avoiding those carbs), served with grated cheese and maybe some sliced green onion on top.

Chaishai -- you can usually find them in the canned tomato section, alongside the plain diced tomatoes. They're just called "Diced Tomatoes with Green Chilies" -- Ro-Tel is a pretty famous label, also Hunt's and some other brands make it... and down here in South Texas the large grocery store chains have their own brands. If your local grocery store doesn't stock them, try a place that caters to the Latin market. You can get them in mild or hot... according to your tolerance....

(F)

-MK

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

Too bad what happened to a once thriving VJ but hardly a surprise

al Nakba 1948-2015
66 years of forced exile and dispossession

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

ate chicken noodle soup, 1/2 bag of milano cookies and some jarlsberg cheese for dinner. I feel like my avatar.

:blush:

I'll be good tomorrow I promise. I'm making this for supper and can't wait! I'll let ya know how it is once I've had it.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/re...6_37299,00.html

Edited by bridget

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

Timeline

Twila

2 pounds of ground beef

1 chopped onion

3 cloves garlic, crushed

4 tsps ground cumin

2 tsps dried oregano

1 tsp paprika

Looks yummy, Twila ! We love chili, and we always make it with ground turkey. I add dark red kidney beans -- sometimes even some cooked macaroni (bad bad bad if you're avoiding those carbs), served with grated cheese and maybe some sliced green onion on top.

Chaishai -- you can usually find them in the canned tomato section, alongside the plain diced tomatoes. They're just called "Diced Tomatoes with Green Chilies" -- Ro-Tel is a pretty famous label, also Hunt's and some other brands make it... and down here in South Texas the large grocery store chains have their own brands. If your local grocery store doesn't stock them, try a place that caters to the Latin market. You can get them in mild or hot... according to your tolerance....

(F)

-MK

Thanks! Our supermarkets usually have everything, I probably just never noticed this!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Chaishai-- pure red grape juice has the similar levels of antioxidants as the red wine! My father doesn't drink alcohol and when his doctor recommended the red wine for his heart, he stated that and the doctor returned with the red grape juice. To get the same levels he was told to drink a full 8oz glass instead of the obviously smaller ammount of red wine. Apparantly sparkling red grape juice by welches also has high levels and is a bit more concentrated than regular red.

Yesterday, Ammar wanted an omlette which he ate in the form of 3 sandwiches. I ate some saifun, an egg, some mushrooms, onions, soy sauce, olive oil, summer squash, cabbage, and spinach. Still feeling tired and run down. I have no idea why i am feeling so tired this past week-- it's like I cannot get it together. I am worried I may be coming down with something, or it could be PMS or both I guess.

None of my posts have ever been helpful. Be forewarned.

Timeline
Chaishai-- pure red grape juice has the similar levels of antioxidants as the red wine! My father doesn't drink alcohol and when his doctor recommended the red wine for his heart, he stated that and the doctor returned with the red grape juice. To get the same levels he was told to drink a full 8oz glass instead of the obviously smaller ammount of red wine. Apparantly sparkling red grape juice by welches also has high levels and is a bit more concentrated than regular red.

Yesterday, Ammar wanted an omlette which he ate in the form of 3 sandwiches. I ate some saifun, an egg, some mushrooms, onions, soy sauce, olive oil, summer squash, cabbage, and spinach. Still feeling tired and run down. I have no idea why i am feeling so tired this past week-- it's like I cannot get it together. I am worried I may be coming down with something, or it could be PMS or both I guess.

PMS makes me super tired

what is saifun?

i made what i said i was going to make last night but then got distracted by something upsetting and burnt it. we ate the veggies that survived on the top of the pan but oh well.

tonight is mediterranean sea bass cooked in a crust of kosher salt and salad, maybe quinoa too. and some grape juice! yum!

Timeline
PMS makes me super tired

what is saifun?

i made what i said i was going to make last night but then got distracted by something upsetting and burnt it. we ate the veggies that survived on the top of the pan but oh well.

tonight is mediterranean sea bass cooked in a crust of kosher salt and salad, maybe quinoa too. and some grape juice! yum!

Saifun are asian noodles made from bean and potato starch... sometimes called bean thread. It's 170 calories per bundle, and 1 bundle is definately enough for one person. I hate burning food. I did that 3 times in a row last week with the rice!

How do you cook and crust your fish?

Timeline
PMS makes me super tired

what is saifun?

Saifun are asian noodles made from bean and potato starch... sometimes called bean thread. It's 170 calories per bundle, and 1 bundle is definately enough for one person. I hate burning food. I did that 3 times in a row last week with the rice!

How do you cook and crust your fish?

i dont know how my husband is going to cook and crust the fish :lol:

ill let you know tonight or tomorrow though!

he has done it before i didnt watch him, and we were watching anthony bourdain (love him) in sicily and they did it there so we said oh we should do that again! we meaning he. so tonights the night, cant wait!

your noodles are sorta like shirataki noodles, tofu noodles 40 cals per bag and a bag is more than enough if you are making with veggies or whatever. they are the best!

Timeline

Great, thanks! Dhs are great for doing that kind of cooking :) i made the grape leaves last week, and by *I* I mean him. He was watching me and then said he'd do it. Worked for me.

Timeline
Great, thanks! Dhs are great for doing that kind of cooking :) i made the grape leaves last week, and by *I* I mean him. He was watching me and then said he'd do it. Worked for me.

My husband is such a control freak about stuff like that he does the same thing. So basically if I want something and he doesnt feel like cooking but he sees me doing it and knows he can do it better i KNOW i can get him to do it. Its funny how being together for a long time teaches you how to work each other :whistle:

He made the salt fish today. he mixed kosher salt with enough water to make a paste, covered the fish and baked it for 20 mins in the oven i dont know at what temp. it was sooooo moist. but we had it with a quinoa mix that had dried veggies and stuff in it and that kind of sucked and took away from the fish. oh well.

i have an AMAZING recipe that im going to make for dinner tomorrow night, ill post it tomorrow am. if anyone likes chilean sea bass.... look out!

OH and does white wine have antioxidants? :innocent:

Edited by chaishai

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
Ommmmmmmmmmmm. I'm on cloud nine from an intense meditation session I had and maybe that piece of carrot cake I shouldn't have had. lol (L)

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

The weather is so nice and I got out and walked about 4 miles today! I know my bad foot is going to be cussin me tonight! Now...if the weather will just stay nice so I can do this everyday!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.