chaishai

MENA diet/exercise thread

1,807 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Iraq
Timeline

Hmmm, i never come in this thread. I don't have goals to lose weight, but I really enjoy reading the ideas you all have. I run a couple times a week and do some push-ups, sit-ups, weights sometimes. It helps me have more energy and keep my muscles more toned. I have been trying to stick to more water because sodas definitely make me feel more bloated and make running more difficult. I naturally don't eat big meals. I am the slowest eater I have ever met and eat less than most people though I love to snack throughout the day (which makes up for the smaller meals). Lately I have been avoiding processed foods as much or canned vegetables. I try to use fresh vegetables (or else frozen if I must) and I cook meat in healthier ways. I do all these things just to feel better and it does help when I stick with it.

Married: May 28th, 2007

Arrived in the US: December 10th, 2008

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline
All my pants are 12s, and they're all way too big. Some of them won't even stay up at all, they just slide right down. Yes, I'm gonna have to buy new work clothes too. My tops are pretty much fine, but I need all new pants. Little by little...

I did a lot of cardio today, so tomorrow will be a good time to do planks.

Oh yeah, that's a huge difference! So this means you've met your size goal, right? or are you still going to try for the extra weight to come off? I think I remember you're shaped differently than me, but I was gong to say if you keep going on the weight loss, size 4-8 isn't that different as you can wear the same pants and your hips' width should keep them up.. unless you don't have that particular curve going on. you'll definately need new pants, but your clothes won't fall off as much as from a 12 to an 8.

Hmmm, i never come in this thread. I don't have goals to lose weight, but I really enjoy reading the ideas you all have. I run a couple times a week and do some push-ups, sit-ups, weights sometimes. It helps me have more energy and keep my muscles more toned. I have been trying to stick to more water because sodas definitely make me feel more bloated and make running more difficult. I naturally don't eat big meals. I am the slowest eater I have ever met and eat less than most people though I love to snack throughout the day (which makes up for the smaller meals). Lately I have been avoiding processed foods as much or canned vegetables. I try to use fresh vegetables (or else frozen if I must) and I cook meat in healthier ways. I do all these things just to feel better and it does help when I stick with it.

non-processed frozen vegetables are often more healthy than fresh in the grovery store-- unless you're growing your own or getting from a farmer's market. Fresh in teh store are picked before they are ripe and are stored in O2-free trucks for shipping.. and are pretty old by the time they get to you comparitively, and lack a lot of nutrients they would have gotten if they were ripe when picked. Frozen is often picked actually ripe and then frozen within a day or two of harvest so it's much more nutritious.

None of my posts have ever been helpful. Be forewarned.

Timeline
All my pants are 12s, and they're all way too big. Some of them won't even stay up at all, they just slide right down. Yes, I'm gonna have to buy new work clothes too. My tops are pretty much fine, but I need all new pants. Little by little...

Oh yeah, that's a huge difference! So this means you've met your size goal, right? or are you still going to try for the extra weight to come off? I think I remember you're shaped differently than me, but I was gong to say if you keep going on the weight loss, size 4-8 isn't that different as you can wear the same pants and your hips' width should keep them up.. unless you don't have that particular curve going on. you'll definately need new pants, but your clothes won't fall off as much as from a 12 to an 8.

non-processed frozen vegetables are often more healthy than fresh in the grovery store-- unless you're growing your own or getting from a farmer's market. Fresh in teh store are picked before they are ripe and are stored in O2-free trucks for shipping.. and are pretty old by the time they get to you comparitively, and lack a lot of nutrients they would have gotten if they were ripe when picked. Frozen is often picked actually ripe and then frozen within a day or two of harvest so it's much more nutritious.

Thanks Jackie, I appreciate the advice about the vegetables. I had no idea!

Timeline
I need 12's.

I donated all the 18/20's, and the 16's, but I kept some of the 14's around.

We can make a side thread of the MENA clothes swap :) I didn't know you were losing weight! Have you kept up with couch to 5k?

Timeline

You're welcome!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Well, my size goal is an 8, but since ON runs big I don't really think I'm there yet. I want to lose the last 5 pounds. Hopefully that will mean that I'm an 8 anywhere. Although that doesn't really matter so much. I'm pretty happy with where I am, but I think those last 5 pounds will just be the icing on the cake.

Jackie, I'd send you all my 12s, but I'm gonna save them for maternity clothes!

V. interesting about the frozen veggies, btw!

Edited by Jenn!

Timeline
Well, my size goal is an 8, but since ON runs big I don't really think I'm there yet. I want to lose the last 5 pounds. Hopefully that will mean that I'm an 8 anywhere. Although that doesn't really matter so much. I'm pretty happy with where I am, but I think those last 5 pounds will just be the icing on the cake.

Jackie, I'd send you all my 12s, but I'm gonna save them for maternity clothes!

V. interesting about the frozen veggies, btw!

That's what I am wearing now-- my jeans I had saved for maternity clothes! grrr!

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline
My husband has started walking at the park with me. He takes his soccer shoes along in case there's a pick-up game, so I'm going to fill up my mp3 player just in case I need the company one of these days. We walked 1.5 miles yesterday and would have done 2, but a thunderstorm came in. The last time I really lost weight successfully, I was walking 3 miles a day, so I want to work back up to that as soon as possible. He's also really encouraging me to stop drinking sodas. I drink a lot of diet sodas, but he doesn't really believe they have no calories. I know they're really not healthy anyway, calories aside, so I'm trying, but it's sure difficult. I'm not fond of plain water, so I'm putting a little lemon in it. I'm having leftover lentils and tomatoes for lunch. We've been hitting the farmers' market on the weekends, and I'm packing my lunches these days instead of hitting the fast food places, so there's some progress, even if the scale isn't moving as much as I'd like.

Anything with high fructose corn syrup (which is not a natural substance) causes weight gain, so your DH is right :)

But HFCS isn't in no-calorie diet soda, correct? I know there are plenty of chemicals in them anyway, and I'm better off without it. (Possibly TMI:

A friend once told me her doctor told her her urethra was partially clogged from drinking diet sodas - ack!

) I'm just hooked on my diet Coke in the morning. :blush: But I've cut that out, and I'm upping the water and veggies little by little.

I was feeling pretty blah yesterday, but my energy is up today. I walked 2 miles at 3.5 mph yesterday evening at the park while hubby played soccer. That put me at the top of my target heart rate, so I'll stick with that until the heart rate drops and I don't feel like I'm working as hard. I started logging everything on the Daily Plate a couple of days ago. It's so helpful! Thanks to those of you who recommended it.

My coworker's been on WW for a few weeks. The other day, she told me she'd shrunk out of some of her pants and asked if I'd like to try them. I always thought she was thinner than I was, even before she started dieting, but I tried them anyway, and they fit. Now I want to outshrink them too. Yay for second-hand clothes!

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.

Timeline
But HFCS isn't in no-calorie diet soda, correct? I know there are plenty of chemicals in them anyway, and I'm better off without it. (Possibly TMI:

A friend once told me her doctor told her her urethra was partially clogged from drinking diet sodas - ack!

) I'm just hooked on my diet Coke in the morning. :blush: But I've cut that out, and I'm upping the water and veggies little by little.

I was feeling pretty blah yesterday, but my energy is up today. I walked 2 miles at 3.5 mph yesterday evening at the park while hubby played soccer. That put me at the top of my target heart rate, so I'll stick with that until the heart rate drops and I don't feel like I'm working as hard. I started logging everything on the Daily Plate a couple of days ago. It's so helpful! Thanks to those of you who recommended it.

My coworker's been on WW for a few weeks. The other day, she told me she'd shrunk out of some of her pants and asked if I'd like to try them. I always thought she was thinner than I was, even before she started dieting, but I tried them anyway, and they fit. Now I want to outshrink them too. Yay for second-hand clothes!

Actually, it contains:

Carbonated Water

High Fructose Corn Syrup

Caramel Color

Phosphoric Acid

Natural Flavors

Caffeine

Aspartame (NutraSweet brand)

Potassium Benzoate

Citric acid

Aspartame and HFCS are both pretty bad!

I have a regular soda addiction. I am trying to be below 20oz a day, but sometimes? it's not happening. I imagine if I cut it I should drop some weight, right?

Timeline

Actually, it contains:

Carbonated Water

High Fructose Corn Syrup

Caramel Color

Phosphoric Acid

Natural Flavors

Caffeine

Potassium Benzoate

Citric acid

I have a regular soda addiction. I am trying to be below 20oz a day, but sometimes? it's not happening. I imagine if I cut it I should drop some weight, right?

I'm the USC.

Timeline

Actually, it contains:

Carbonated Water

High Fructose Corn Syrup

Caramel Color

Phosphoric Acid

Natural Flavors

Caffeine

Potassium Benzoate

Citric acid

Edited too slowly...I'm finding conflicting information. :lol:

Wikipedia doesn't list HFCS as an ingredient in Diet Coke. link

Another site does list it. link And of course, Coke's own website is no help. It looks like maybe there's a Coke Light sold overseas (I think Morocco has it) that does have HFCS.

I've always thought HFCS had to bring calories along with it, so I never read the label closely enough.

If it does have it, that should certainly explain why diets seem so difficult, and that's reason enough to stay away.

I never wanted to believe the theories about aspartame, but maybe there's something to it. If so, my brain is surely pickled by now.

I'm the USC.

Timeline

You're welcome!

OMG, I am so sorry Julianna, thank you for the tips about veggies. I don't know what I was looking at when I thought she wrote that. I must have been out of it :bonk:

Timeline
Edited too slowly...I'm finding conflicting information. :lol:

Wikipedia doesn't list HFCS as an ingredient in Diet Coke. link

Another site does list it. link And of course, Coke's own website is no help. It looks like maybe there's a Coke Light sold overseas (I think Morocco has it) that does have HFCS.

I've always thought HFCS had to bring calories along with it, so I never read the label closely enough.

If it does have it, that should certainly explain why diets seem so difficult, and that's reason enough to stay away.

I never wanted to believe the theories about aspartame, but maybe there's something to it. If so, my brain is surely pickled by now.

Aspartame causes a lot of people to feel nauseous, sluggish, etc. Whether the Diet coke has HFCS or not, it will dehydrate you ever time you drink it, so it will cause you to retain water (in addition to the sodium it has). We'll just have to grab a bottle and look at the back.

OMG, I am so sorry Julianna, thank you for the tips about veggies. I don't know what I was looking at when I thought she wrote that. I must have been out of it :bonk:

Oh, that's OK! People have never gotten my name right for years and so I figured that was all that was going on lol! Even when I type it out, I get a lot of Jackie, Jennifer, Joyce, etc. :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.