chaishai

MENA diet/exercise thread

1,807 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline
Where are you ladies??!? I did the challenge and I did 2 miles on the treadmill and eliptical so it was good. Now it's just the diet part....

I, the committee of one, elect you to make teh new challenge of the day :)

None of my posts have ever been helpful. Be forewarned.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Thanks for the suggestions about the personal trainer, Julianna and Jen, I'll let you know how it all goes.

I wasn't able to do the 3 miles yesterday. I had to stop at 2.5, but I kept up with the 10:00 mile pace, so that was good at least. Maybe next week...

Timeline

Question for those of you that do Weight Watchers...

I'm not doing WW, but a lot of food has points on it, so I just wanted to get an idea of how many points you can eat in a day. I'm sure it's based on current weight and goals, etc., but just a rough idea. 20? 30?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I'm not doing WW, but a lot of food has points on it, so I just wanted to get an idea of how many points you can eat in a day. I'm sure it's based on current weight and goals, etc., but just a rough idea. 20? 30?

30 would be a high. I would stick to the low 20's if you want to lose rapidly. High 20's to do it slowly and comfortably. That's for you, though, someone bigger would need to be in the lower 30's.

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

Timeline

30 would be a high. I would stick to the low 20's if you want to lose rapidly. High 20's to do it slowly and comfortably. That's for you, though, someone bigger would need to be in the lower 30's.

Ok, thanks. That sounds about right.

I saw the PT. It was a short session and it was with 2 other people (so I guess it's not really very personal, is it?), but I was able to get a few questions in there. I learned that you really should do strength training before cardio (I always do it after), and ideally you'd even alternate days - 1 hour cardio one day, the next day 1 hour of strength. I'd always thought that you should do cardio every day if possible.

She showed me how to use some of the stuff in the gym that I've been scared of, namely the bosu and the big exercise ball. I think it'd be good for me to start using these things. I've been doing higher weight and fewer repetitions on the machines and pretty soon I'll be selling tickets to the gun show, so I'd better take it down a notch.

Timeline

I ate almost a whole bag of microwave popcorn last night. It was regular too, not light. Ugh, it wasn't even very good because I burnt it a bit. Extra time in the gym today to make up for that! :dead:

Timeline
I ate almost a whole bag of microwave popcorn last night. It was regular too, not light. Ugh, it wasn't even very good because I burnt it a bit. Extra time in the gym today to make up for that! :dead:

Not as bad as me. I ate 2 waffles, 2 hard-boiled eggs, and a baked potato with butter, chives, and salt. I also consumed about 3 sodas and 6 glasses of water. I have no idea why, but coke and bread was mostly what kept my stomach from hurling, and so I was sipping on it all day. That was probably one of the worst balanced meal-days ever.

Timeline

Not as bad as me. I ate 2 waffles, 2 hard-boiled eggs, and a baked potato with butter, chives, and salt. I also consumed about 3 sodas and 6 glasses of water. I have no idea why, but coke and bread was mostly what kept my stomach from hurling, and so I was sipping on it all day. That was probably one of the worst balanced meal-days ever.

Is that all you ate all day? That's not a lot at all!

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hubby and I walked a couple of miles yesterday (broken in half) and a mile the day before. A couple of days before that, I dragged myself around the block. It's not taking as long to bounce back as I'd feared. We're broke, so we've called a moratorium on restaurants, and we're eating healthier as a result. I still need to plan meals more carefully, but the main thing is to get active again. The only time I really lost a lot of weight easily, I was walking three miles a day, rain or shine, and eating carefully but not obsessing. That's where I want to be again.

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline
I wanna be on the BIGGEST LOSER! Why are they only casting teams of two? ARGH!!!!!

My sister wanted me to audition with her. I like my anonymity. :blush:

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Jenn ~ just curious, did the pt give an explanation why we should be doing weights before cardio? I have been doing it after like you. I thought doing cardio first warms the muscles then keeps the heart rate elevated during the strength training. Anyway, just feels as if I am burning more calories this way :unsure:

6042646_bodyshot_300x400.gif

weight.png

Timeline
Is that all you ate all day? That's not a lot at all!

Well it had a lot of butter, so a lot of calories for virtually nothing. I;ve been feeling REALLY nauseous for the past few days and eating is what cures it... but it's like I have to be constantly eating something with bread or that is heavy. It's weird. I don't know what this is. I think PMS.

Timeline
Jenn ~ just curious, did the pt give an explanation why we should be doing weights before cardio? I have been doing it after like you. I thought doing cardio first warms the muscles then keeps the heart rate elevated during the strength training. Anyway, just feels as if I am burning more calories this way :unsure:

This was my reasoning as well. She said that doing cardio before weights means that your muscles are already fatigued by the time you get to your strength training, which means that you won't get as much benefit AND you're at greater risk for injury. But she also said that if for whatever reason you like to do cardio first, that is ok, but not preferred.

ETA: regarding the warming up of muscles before weights...even though you're doing weights first, she said you should walk 10 minutes on the treadmill before you begin

Edited by Jenn!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

if the weather cooperates, here's the workout schedule:

finish moving brush to the burn pile, burn it. dethatch the yard around the house. dump the probably half dozen sweeper loads from that. cut more bushes down and load up the trailer again for the next burn.

anyone with experience with a rake most welcome to help out. :thumbs:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.