chaishai

MENA diet/exercise thread

1,807 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline
Olivia, the segments sounds great! And your pickings from the FM sounds delicious. I'm not sure how to cook Green Beans, but yeah googling does do some good! I'll think of titles if one hasn't already been picked..

Have you guys ever tried out CSA (Community Supported Agriculture)? Here's the website: http://www.localharvest.org/csa/

It's basically programs that you could register with local farmers to receive packages of fresh produce while keeping the middleman out -- also I heard the produce are much better than the markets. I'm thinking of trying it out once I'm more settled in my current situation.

I think I'll be around this thread more now: I think I gained extra weight (about 10-15 lbs) since the "recent events" in my life :( (Not eating much, so it pretty much messed up my metabolism).

Yeah, local harvest is way more healthy than non-local harvest. By the time "fresh" fruits and vegetables reach you in the store, they have been picked underripe (which means they don't have all the nurtrients to begin with), are likely a good shipping hybrid but not bred for nutrition, have been put to sleep in oxygen-less trucks for shipping (or containers), and are several weeks old... during these weeks, every day they sit still, they lose nutrients. Frozen, on the toher hand, is picked fresh and rip and then flash frozen within a couple of days... 2-3 at the most... from harvest. Frozen is way more healthy. Local harvest is, of course, the best. growing some of your own is even better-- even if you only have an apartment and need to work around things by using pots, it's still better. And for those who think they can't do it in a small yard...

http://pathtofreedom.com/

the above has some great tips... and I love their journal photos and gallery:

http://urbanhomestead.org/journal/

The above really try to mostly eat out of their garden as well, which is awesome.

None of my posts have ever been helpful. Be forewarned.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I AM IN!!!

And as some of you may know, when I posted here before, I am a certified personal trainer at a popular gym here in the states.

I just want to say that even trainers can fall off the wagon!

however, I have never let myself go for this long and this dramatically

amazing how long it takes to get to where you want and how little time to undo what you have accomplished

in one year I went from a size 4, 125 lbs to now a size 8 and I dont need to say how much I am now,

let's just say 20lbs in one year :help:

I know exactly what it takes to get to where i want and it can be done

we need discipline in all 3 areas....#1 first and foremost is DIET..what we take in and how much..quality and quantity

#2 lots of cardio...the more fat you have the more you have to burn daily and take in much less #3 resistance training

I am sure we all know this and with Ramadan here I started feeling this was an easy way for me to lose weight however, this fasting is not a healthy way to lose...i mean not drinking water is very dangerous esp in heat of summer

we need water and not eating all day, then stuffing ourselves late at night is not going to help our metabolism

plus we all know you need to stop eating by 7 at the latest everyday..this helps weightloss alot

my most fit time was when i was a vegetarian and living in india

i stopped eating american style...no more processed, frozen, packaged, overly fatty foods

all fruits and veggies...some little carbs....i mean losing meat and carbs really worked alot for me

but i was so healthy

i would eat 6 times a day..like every 2-3 hours..this is really much more effective and keeps you satisfied

I didnt eat the chips, candy and take out foods...they just werent available

it is hard in our culture....i mean taking out meat you need to make sure you replenish those nutrients, mainly protein and vitamins lost when not eating meat. for me, i was barely taking in much dairy that time too

BUT dairy is so necessary for us, as women...bones, teeth and even for weight loss and management

we just need to take little steps one day at a time

dont cut out everything at once....choose one category at a time to eliminate

move move move at least 30-40 mins daily

even for me now, not working in a gym full time anymore has me strapped for time

and after 3 kids I know how hard it is and how long it takes to get into shape

for those of us who are so serious...you can make major changes in as little as 4- 6 weeks with serious dedication

good luck to you all

and i am not waiting for the new year to make my changes

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH! :thumbs:

Edited by sandrila

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
Thx ladies. At the FM I got peaches, pears, cherry tomatoes, and green beans. I have no idea how to cook the green beans but I bet I can google it online. I just know I like these kind especially cooked and eaten fresh.

As for the series I am having a lot more ideas. I am going to talk to my advisers on Tuesday because Monday is a Holiday. That is s a good thing because I have a lot of homework. Thanks for the name suggestion Julianna. I am thinking more about the name for the series of videos and to put a time limit on it. I need something short. I am thinking it's more about my last year in college and what I'm doing and what interests me. I could call it, "Olivia-The final year of college." I need something catchy. Maybe "My Senior Year!" or "Senior Class", or "Upper Classman" or "The Last Path to Graduation!"

You know, you can take the green beans and stir fry them (quickly) in some olive oil and garlic with a touch of salt and pepper. I am growing black-seeded asparagus beans (a kind of yard-long bean) and I've been doing the same all summer-- soooo yummy. I've also been making fresh soups. Soups are cool as long as you use something low sodium for the broth and drink the broth... because all the minerals and vitamins you lose in the cooking process you recover in the broth. It's a nice change from fresh sometimes.

What color cherry tomatoes? I have these yellow marble tomatoes which are heavenly. They are tiny and yellow and look like marbles (ummm go figure lol) and I have one plant.. and it has over 300 tomatoes on it right now. I've been saving seed because this is such an awesome tomato and I didn't have the seed for it.

"Gate to Graduation"? Sometimes alliteration can sound really good in a short title.

LOL @ staring into the fridge. i do that!

Oh I like that title! *Snag!* I may try stir frying the beans like you said. Then next Saturday I'll make a soup with a new batch of beans. I love sipping broths and it's getting colder here so soups are more appealing. I picked up the vegetable broth cubes at the store to make some soups with. Still trying to stick with the vegetarian theme. The cheery tomatoes were red marbles. I've been eating those up and their almost gone. I love tomatoes. Maybe I will do a cherry tomato plant in Egypt next summer on our balcony? Think I could smuggle some of your seeds? :devil:

Now getting myself motivated to finish all my homework and do some cardio at the gym today or the windsor pilates set I have at home? Hmmm... First day of exercise... Maybe I should take it easy on myself and start with an hour walk each day for the first two weeks conditioning myself for exercise again after not doing a routine for so long? When I tried the running program with couch to the 5k this summer I got shin splints almost right away.

Olivia, the segments sounds great! And your pickings from the FM sounds delicious. I'm not sure how to cook Green Beans, but yeah googling does do some good! I'll think of titles if one hasn't already been picked..

Have you guys ever tried out CSA (Community Supported Agriculture)? Here's the website: http://www.localharvest.org/csa/

It's basically programs that you could register with local farmers to receive packages of fresh produce while keeping the middleman out -- also I heard the produce are much better than the markets. I'm thinking of trying it out once I'm more settled in my current situation.

I think I'll be around this thread more now: I think I gained extra weight (about 10-15 lbs) since the "recent events" in my life :( (Not eating much, so it pretty much messed up my metabolism).

Thx for the recommendation! I'll check it out. Glad you're going to be around this thread more now. :thumbs:

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

Timeline
I AM IN!!!

And as some of you may know, when I posted here before, I am a certified personal trainer at a popular gym here in the states.

I just want to say that even trainers can fall off the wagon!

however, I have never let myself go for this long and this dramatically

amazing how long it takes to get to where you want and how little time to undo what you have accomplished

in one year I went from a size 4, 125 lbs to now a size 8 and I dont need to say how much I am now,

let's just say 20lbs in one year :help:

I know exactly what it takes to get to where i want and it can be done

we need discipline in all 3 areas....#1 first and foremost is DIET..what we take in and how much..quality and quantity

#2 lots of cardio...the more fat you have the more you have to burn daily and take in much less #3 resistance training

I am sure we all know this and with Ramadan here I started feeling this was an easy way for me to lose weight however, this fasting is not a healthy way to lose...i mean not drinking water is very dangerous esp in heat of summer

we need water and not eating all day, then stuffing ourselves late at night is not going to help our metabolism

plus we all know you need to stop eating by 7 at the latest everyday..this helps weightloss alot

my most fit time was when i was a vegetarian and living in india

i stopped eating american style...no more processed, frozen, packaged, overly fatty foods

all fruits and veggies...some little carbs....i mean losing meat and carbs really worked alot for me

but i was so healthy

i would eat 6 times a day..like every 2-3 hours..this is really much more effective and keeps you satisfied

I didnt eat the chips, candy and take out foods...they just werent available

it is hard in our culture....i mean taking out meat you need to make sure you replenish those nutrients, mainly protein and vitamins lost when not eating meat. for me, i was barely taking in much dairy that time too

BUT dairy is so necessary for us, as women...bones, teeth and even for weight loss and management

we just need to take little steps one day at a time

dont cut out everything at once....choose one category at a time to eliminate

move move move at least 30-40 mins daily

even for me now, not working in a gym full time anymore has me strapped for time

and after 3 kids I know how hard it is and how long it takes to get into shape

for those of us who are so serious...you can make major changes in as little as 4- 6 weeks with serious dedication

good luck to you all

and i am not waiting for the new year to make my changes

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH

! :thumbs:

Oh wow! Great to have you too! I know what you mean. The last five years I've been gaining 20lbs a year too! The majority of the weight came on in the first year though. Now I'm saying the same thing, "Enough". When I lay down in bed I feel choked with fat. It doesn't make me feel very attractive to my Husband either. I remember my happy weight was in the 120 range as well and I was a size 6 but I was way more active then. I did something everyday and was in the best shape of my life. Now I'm older and way over my ideal weight. I just want to get to my ideal weight first which is 150 because that is what is recommended for my health wise. Once I'm in that range it will be my first real accomplishment. Then I am willing to go down from there to my goal weight of 135. If I am still feeling I could lose some then I would seek the 120 range. I may need to allow for adjustment of goals.

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

Timeline
Oh I like that title! *Snag!* I may try stir frying the beans like you said. Then next Saturday I'll make a soup with a new batch of beans. I love sipping broths and it's getting colder here so soups are more appealing. I picked up the vegetable broth cubes at the store to make some soups with. Still trying to stick with the vegetarian theme. The cheery tomatoes were red marbles. I've been eating those up and their almost gone. I love tomatoes. Maybe I will do a cherry tomato plant in Egypt next summer on our balcony? Think I could smuggle some of your seeds? :devil:

Now getting myself motivated to finish all my homework and do some cardio at the gym today or the windsor pilates set I have at home? Hmmm... First day of exercise... Maybe I should take it easy on myself and start with an hour walk each day for the first two weeks conditioning myself for exercise again after not doing a routine for so long? When I tried the running program with couch to the 5k this summer I got shin splints almost right away.

And, depending on how sneaky you want to be and what you want to say, you can choose Gate or Gait... :)

There are some really great vegan and vegetarian broth cubes without salt that i would try to look for... chances are you will add less sodium than they have in those prepackaged soups, and thus you'll be healthier.

You could totally smuggle some of my seeds-- or any seeds-- into Egypt :) How cool does it get at night when you're going? Tomatoes want 70-80*F weather at night to ripen.

You may want to work up to yuor exercising.. maybe do the walk and some mild resistence stuff.

Welcome Sandrilla!

Timeline

And, depending on how sneaky you want to be and what you want to say, you can choose Gate or Gait... :)

There are some really great vegan and vegetarian broth cubes without salt that i would try to look for... chances are you will add less sodium than they have in those prepackaged soups, and thus you'll be healthier.

You could totally smuggle some of my seeds-- or any seeds-- into Egypt :) How cool does it get at night when you're going? Tomatoes want 70-80*F weather at night to ripen.

You may want to work up to yuor exercising.. maybe do the walk and some mild resistence stuff.

Welcome Sandrilla!

I'll have to ask Waleed how cool it gets in the summer as I don't know coz I haven't lived there before during the summer. I think I will do the walk. What sort of things can I do for resistance?

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

Timeline
I'll have to ask Waleed how cool it gets in the summer as I don't know coz I haven't lived there before during the summer. I think I will do the walk. What sort of things can I do for resistance?

Are you going to Alexandria? Cairo? It's Alex, isn't it?

Well, I'd start with 15 crunches, 20 side leg-lifts on each side, and 5 girlie (knees on the floor) push ups. See how you feel from there. If you haven't done things in forever, you may feel that's hard. if you are in better shape, you can repeat :) I think you'll need to work up some before you do more actual resistence, but body-weight exersizes are awesome.

Edited by julianna

Filed: Timeline

Well, I'd start with 15 crunches, 20 side leg-lifts on each side, and 5 girlie (knees on the floor) push ups. See how you feel from there. If you haven't done things in forever, you may feel that's hard. if you are in better shape, you can repeat :) I think you'll need to work up some before you do more actual resistence, but body-weight exersizes are awesome.

I :luv: the kitties!!

Timeline

Awww, thanks! I don't usually show them, i'm kind of protective over my kitties lol. It's Belfry, Ptolemy, and Mudpuddle from L-R, ages 5, 11, and 8 respectively :)

Filed: Other Country: Argentina
Timeline

Awww, thanks! I don't usually show them, i'm kind of protective over my kitties lol. It's Belfry, Ptolemy, and Mudpuddle from L-R, ages 5, 11, and 8 respectively :)

I love your Kittehs too...Ptolemy reminds me of my cat, Buddy...he passed away 4 years ago - but he really was my buddy. I always say, "There is nothing like a big ole orange cat!" :luv::luv::luv:

Edited by Staashi

Filed: Timeline

Ptolemy looks like a luv bug! Reminds me of my Frankie:) I had a tabby cat...his name was Fat Frank. I adored him :) He passed away from cancer...it was the hardest thing ever. I don't think there is a cat out there like him. (we always feel that way don't we?)

Funny story....when I used to order chinese food...the man that would come to deliver...every time he saw Frank he'd yell out in his Asian accent..."Ohhhh Mr. Lion (wyon) how you doing?" He was gigantic...so scary to most because of his size but a total luv bug. And the delivery guy would bring him treats so Fat Frank LOVED chinese food night! :devil:

I love your Kittehs too...Ptolemy reminds me of my cat, Buddy...he passed away 4 years ago - but he really was my buddy. I always say, "There is nothing like a big ole orange cat!" :luv::luv::luv:

OMGoodness....similar story :(

Timeline

We moving to Hurghada which is on the Red Sea. We'll be in Cairo first and I think the wedding will be in either Cairo or Luxor depending on the family. Really I'm not planning it the family is doing it which makes it nicer for me. They just ask garden or ferry boat. lol. I think I want a wedding dress like I saw in todays daily thread of the siggy's. She looked like a doll!

Ok back to reality. I'll go do those exercises and see.

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

there really are so many things you can do in home without equipment at all

JUST YOUR OWN BODY WEIGHT

and when you are just starting out DONT STRESS YOURSELF TOO MUCH, dont make unrealistic expectations and just do what you can

work yourself up gradually

i should talk right? this has been the hardest, most depressing year for me

all this immigration, living without my husband and feeling so hopeless and helpless

well we can always take back our life and find ourselves again and that is what i plan to do

this ramadan...this is the time for me and thank god i came across this thread again

you all have motivated this sad personal trainer

isnt it true that you can give the advice but not take your own?

well now I just want to start to eat better and less and just do whatever exercise I can do when I can

I have started 3 weeks ago by simply walking about 3 miles a day on my lunchbreak

it takes about 40 mins...it makes me feel so much better plus getting the sun in too!

just little steps...nothing too stressful...right...breath in..breath out :hehe:

Timeline

Yeah, Ptolemy is a luv bug. he loves to sit on you at all times, sleep wth you, play tag, play chase, etc. He's gotten smaller a bit this year, and I can tell he's getting older now. He used to be about 16lbs but now he's more like 13-14... still a fine weight but I can tell he's slowing down. I had a cream-colored male before as a kid who died of toxoplasmosa when he was 12. I loved him so much.

Belfry, OTOH, gets very lovey and snuggley.. and is now almost 20lbs. he's kind of big too... like he's (Ok, I went and measured him lol) 26" long (head to butt, so not counting his tail which is 16" long) and 16" tall. WHen he gets really in a snuggley mood it's kind of painful lol...he's so heavy and he's all over you. Ammar made friends with them now, and when I asked him he said he wouldn't/couldn't eat them in an emergency because it would be like eating your friend. Awww. So, that's good. He also talks a lot and will talk for over 10 minutes if you answer him back.

Puddles is generally very quiet, isn't interested in being touched, but loves "fetch." He also loves sleeping under the covers with you.

Filed: Other Country: Argentina
Timeline

Ptolemy looks like a luv bug! Reminds me of my Frankie:) I had a tabby cat...his name was Fat Frank. I adored him :) He passed away from cancer...it was the hardest thing ever. I don't think there is a cat out there like him. (we always feel that way don't we?)

Funny story....when I used to order chinese food...the man that would come to deliver...every time he saw Frank he'd yell out in his Asian accent..."Ohhhh Mr. Lion (wyon) how you doing?" He was gigantic...so scary to most because of his size but a total luv bug. And the delivery guy would bring him treats so Fat Frank LOVED chinese food night! :devil:

OMGoodness....similar story :(

Actually, I just realized it...Buddy's been gone 5 years. I was on my way to Mass and I had seen Buddy next to the driveway and I knew he was ok...well, when I backed down the driveway I hit him - he had jumped in front of the car. I didn't kill him instantly, but we had to take him to the emergency room and they put him down, as there was nothing that could be done for him. He was such a great cat, but my heart broke that night. :cry:

The coolest thing about Buddy was that I could open the door and call him and like a dog he would come running. He also would love to go on walks with my family - sometimes though when the walk went too long he would tire out - so, we'd have to throw him over our shoulder to take him home. Just imagine a 15lb housecat thrown over your shoulder. :lol: He was my greatest cat...and I almost don't want another one because he was just so special.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.