*julez*

The 2008 United Kingdom Interview Thread!

2,529 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline
Congratulations Babblesgirl and Ladyynara!! They are finally going to let us in, and ACTUALLY STAY!

One way to look at all of this.... if our relationships can survive separation for this long, and all the anxiety which went with it, we have a pretty solid foundation on which to build a successful marriage. In the past 18 months - Marty moved back to the USA, he got divorced from his former wife, we both changed jobs, we bought a house, survived USCIS, and we have planned a wedding. Those are pretty high up there on the list of most stressful things to do, and our relationship is only stronger. Like I said before, life is pretty good right now :lol:

I know! Yesterday at the embassy at moments it felt a bit surreal really. I was sitting there waiting for my number to be called and there's all those people there every single day (admittedly most of them are non-immigrant visa applicants) and I'm thinking "all the stress and anxiety of the last few months awaiting the USCIS decision culminates in THIS?" It just seemed odd that it wasn't more glamorous or at least gruelling (other than the waiting around) - if you know what I mean.

I'm not complaining though. What a great feeling it is knowing it's all over and we can actually be together.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know what you mean Babblesgirl! We even had the same American lady interview us at window 16 :) We must have been in the same room, as we were still queueing for the courier at 10:30am.

Grats on your approval!

---------------------------------------

14/Jul/97 - Met Rick in UK

04/Nov/97 - Travelled to US on visitors visa

01/Jan/98 - Married in US

1998 - 2000 - Long process with Immigration obtaining Green Card #1.

20/May/2003 - Left US for UK

11/Feb/2004 - Child #1 born

14/Jul/2005 - Child #2 born

August 2007 - Decide we need to move back to USA. Kicking self for not getting citizenship.

24/Sep/2007 - I-130 sent

28/Sep/2007 - I-130 NOA1

12/Dec/2007 - I-130 Approved

11/Jan/2008 - Police Certificate applied for

11/Jan/2008 - DS-230 part 1 sent off

14/Jan/2008 - Medical booked for Jan 21st

21/Jan/2008 - Medical in London - all clear!

24/Jan/2008 - Statement of readiness sent to embassy

09/Feb/2008 - Police clearance arrived

14/Mar/2008 - Interview at 9am!! APPROVED!

18/Mar/2008 - Visa arrived!

22/Mar/2008 - Being made homeless!

23/Mar/2008 - Flight to USA!!

12/Apr/2008 - Greencard arrived!

Done with immigration until I can apply for citizenship in 2011.

Timeline

Thought I'd post a review. It's a bit long and detailed but hopefully it will give those of you waiting some idea of what goes on.

My appointment was at 10am. My mum was hassling me to join the queue at 9am but it was very busy and the nice police officer told me to return at 9.40am. We went to sit in the park and played I-spy to settle my nerves (yes, I felt like a big kid!). We were amazed at how the US were ever allowed to build such a monstrosity in a square filled with such beautiful Edwardian architecture.

At 9.40am I joined the queue where you are asked to show your passport and then you can wait in line. It is here that they give you small clear plastic baggies for mobile phones etc. The signs say you need your appointment letter ready and the D-156. I had an alphabetical folder all organised and itemised but was still struggling to get out the correct paperwork especially standing outside with nowhere to set your stuff down. You see a lot of people with barely any paperwork and I assume these were all visitor visa applicants. Fortunately, the lady in front of me (who I shall refer to as 'P') had a big folder like me and we got chatting. She was not aware of VJ but her fiance had contacts in immigration and so she seemed fully aware of what would be required. We were not asked to move forward to security until around 10.45am but the time really flew because we had so much to talk about.

Finally the 10am appointments were called forward and a grumpy chap checked I actually had an appointment. In the security office it is much like going through airport security. If you take a mobile phone you can leave it in this office. They just give you a number.

Then around the corner towards the main entrance of the embassy. You are asked again to show your appointment letter and they issue you a number on a sticky label. Non-immigrant visas are in the 1000's and immigrant visas in the 5000's. You walk up the stairs to the left of the main desk and take a seat in the waiting room. At 11am ish the waiting room was heaving. There are monitor screens showing how many of each type of visa are waiting and which desk is dealing with which number. There are also tannoy announcements to indicate which number needs to go to which numbered station. The numbers seem to come fast and furiously and people come and go between the waiting area and the interview stations. Be aware that the 5000's are not called as frequently because there are only a handful waiting at a time. P and I sat down together still chatting but this time the nerves started to build and it seemed like a long wait.

At 12.40am they called P's number and I knew I would be next. It took around 30 minutes for my number to be called and I started to panic about not having thought about responses to questions they might ask. Silly really because I had nothing to worry about. P had returned to the waiting area in the meantime where she was filling out a pink form. When my number was called I went to interview desk 14 where a really pleasant English man was waiting with my papers. He asked first for my passport and the DS-156. He handed back the DS-156 saying I had already submitted it. He then asked me to sign the DS-156K (the one they tell you not to sign when you submit packet 3). He stuck the sticky number on my passport and asked me to go to desk 12 to pay my $131.00 (£65) and return with the receipt. At some point he also seemed to be checking me biometrically against the photo I supplied.

Back at desk 14 the gentleman asked me for my photographs, birth certificate and copy, police certificate and copy and finance info. I explained I had a co-sponsor and handed the two piles of info over separately. He handed back the originals He looked through it all carefully but efficiently and said 'brilliant!' and smiled at me when he finished. At this point I told him I also had a notarised letter of intent from my fiance. He said it was not required but he would add it to my file anyway. He told me that all the papers were in order, gave me a pink form to fill out and asked me to return to the waiting area to be called for interview.

Back in the waiting area I found the nearest empty chair and began filling out the pink form which is basically details where the visa should be sent and you hand this in to the courier desk right at the end. P came back to sit with me and we remarked on how easy it all seemed to be so far. We were preparing ourselves for a long wait but P's number was called again very soon after. Approximately 10 minutes later my number was called and I made my way up to desk no. 16.

There I met a blonde wavy haired American lady who greeted me with a massively warm smile. She asked if I had waited very long and I shrugged and replied 'Ah I've waited a long time for this day, a couple more hours won't make any difference'. She smiled and got me to do my fingerprinting. She remarked on how clear my prints were 'A+ for fingerprints! Shame there isn't a high paying career for someone with such wonderful prints!'. She then began to ask me some questions, but actually it felt like we were simply having a chat over coffee or something. She was so enthused and gentle with her questioning and I didn't feel once like it was an interrogation. One question naturally led to the next as it would in a normal conversation and I probably said more than I needed to;

How did you and your fiance meet?

Which chat room?

Some light hearted discussion over our joint interests and what we both did for a living.

When was that?

How often have you visited him?

When did you decide you wanted to get married?

Explained here that we decided to get married in April last year and that the official engagement occurred at Christmas.

You're not married yet are you!?

Probably because I said 'decided to get married' and mentioned a visit to Las Vegas in the previous questions. She seemed more amused than anything.

Has he visited you at all?

Explained not and his financial circumstances plus the fact I have great holidays as a school teacher

She then said 'Right well, everything seems great!' She explained in detail what would happen now. That my visa was approved pending the medical results and fingerprint checks (she explained these need to be checked against their systems to ensure I am not a criminal), that as soon as those clear the visa will be sent out to me by courier. Explained all the AOS stuff and wished me a very happy life. The tears were welling up at this point but I held back. All the time she was just smiling at me and so I commented ' You have such a lovely job!' and she replied 'well, usually yes with people like you but sometimes I have bad news to deliver.' I thanked her about 50 times and went to join the courier desk queue.

Here I saw P again, about 6 places in front of me in a VERY long slow queue for the courier service. We exchanged our good news and then an hour and a half later I had paid my £14.00 + £10.50 for before 10am delivery and went out to see how my eternally patient mother was doing in the park.

Apparently a police officer had approached her and said 'Are you waiting for someone in there?' pointing to the embassy 'expect 3 to 4 hours!'.

Thank you so much for the detailed review!!! Every one Darren reads makes him a little less anxious about our impending unscheduled-as-of-yet interview...we sent off packet 3 yesterday!!!

Dawn

Our journey to be together (work in progress)

March 2007 - Met online

1/28/08 - Sent I-129F to VSC

5/13/08 - Visa in hand!!!

7/7/08 - POE

7/11/08 - legal wedding

7/20/08 - AOS/EAD/AP sent to Chicago Lockbox

11/18/08 - AOS approved!!!

11/25/08 - Received welcome letter...and Green Card!!!

12/21/08 - ceremonial wedding

10/9/10 - Sent I-751 and started the fresh hell that is ROC

10/14/10 - NOA1 for ROC

10/29/10 - received appointment for Biometrics

11/22/10 - Biometrics appointment

Currently: Living blissfully with my Essex lad...

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Hi all,

My fiance is working on packet three and plans to mail it back on Monday. He wants to schedule a work related trip (not to the US) at the end of April but plans to be home for his interview at the beginning of May. He's already scheduled his medical for middle of next week so that won't be a worry. I don't know how fast the London embassy is scheduling interviews at the moment but I can't think that he'd be in before late April/beginning of May as it'll take a week for them just to receive his packet. I advised him to include a note, acknowledging the understanding that scheduling is a huge task for them, but requesting that his interview be after the 1st of May. How quickly are interviews coming from London right now? And has anyone ever requested something such as this before? And to what success?

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!!

Meg

unitedkingdom-.gif

newzealand-.gifunitedstates-.gif

10/11/2005 We met!

K-1

10/27/2007 Sent I-129F to VSC

05/09/2008 Interview. Approved.

06/23/2008 Point of Entry

07/02/2008 JP Wedding Date

AOS Paperwork

08/21/2008 Mailed AOS Paperwork

08/27/2008 Check Cashed/Case Opened

10/11/2008 Church Wedding

03/05/2009 Greencard Arrived!

Timeline

Cover letters explaining any unusual circumstances seem to work well in London.

If you're returning packet 3 now and let things run their natural course I imagine you would get a date in April. The interview dates appear to be within 2 to 6 weeks of returning the packet. I actually think it would be helpful for them to know when you're available, particularly if this date is later than what they might actually have given you and they seem to be very helpful when they can.

You have nothing to lose by including a cover letter. If you have to reschedule an interview that may delay things further. Good luck!

Thank you so much for the detailed review!!! Every one Darren reads makes him a little less anxious about our impending unscheduled-as-of-yet interview...we sent off packet 3 yesterday!!!

I thought I waffled on a bit but I think it's helpful to read everyone's reviews. People have differing experiences but it's good to have some gauge on what to expect.

Are you hoping for an interview during your visit?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

great review, babbles! so cool to hear how simple it was for you... I'm so very glad :)

I'm also so very glad that my own interview was so early - is my ninety minutes a record? ;)

061017001as.thumb.jpg

The Very Secret Diary of Legolas Son of Weenus - by Cassandra Claire

Day One: Went to Council of Elrond. Was prettiest person there. Agreed to follow some tiny little man to Mordor to throw ring into volcano. Very important mission - gold ring so tacky.

Day Six: Far too dark in Mines of Moria to brush hair properly. Am very afraid I am developing a tangle.

Orcs so silly.

Still the prettiest.

Day 35: Boromir dead. Very messy death, most unnecessary. Did get kissed by Aragorn as he expired. Does a guy have to get shot full of arrows around here to get any action? Boromir definitely not prettier than me. Cannot understand it. Am feeling a pout coming on.

Frodo off to Mordor with Sam. Tiny little men caring about each other, rather cute really.

Am quite sure Gimli fancies me. So unfair. He is waist height, so can see advantages there, but chunky braids and big helmet most off-putting. Foresee dark times ahead, very dark times.

Timeline

Hi Everyone,

I'm sooooo glad we've found this thread. It's great! I had another question. Is it appropriate to send photocopies of my W-2 and my income tax files for both myself and my mother (our cosponser) with my fiance to the London interview? I've read about getting official copies from the IRS but it'd be so much faster and easier if copies of my own personal files were acceptable. Any thoughts? Thank you!!

Edited by Meg and Grae

unitedkingdom-.gif

10/11/2005 We met!

K-1

AOS Paperwork

Timeline
Hi Everyone,

I'm sooooo glad we've found this thread. It's great! I had another question. Is it appropriate to send photocopies of my W-2 and my income tax files for both myself and my mother to the London interview? I've read about getting official copies from the IRS but it'd be so much faster and easier if copies of my own personal files were acceptable. Any thoughts? Thank you!!

I personally don't have a clue what all this tax terminology means but I can tell you what J and his mom sent me - which the guy commented 'brilliant' on.

For J:

Notarised I-134

Recent Bank Statement showing student loan deposit

Notarised Statement of non-filing of income tax

Statement of Student Financial Aid including grants, loans and scholarships received

For J's mom:

Notarised I-134

Earnings statement/pay check copies for the past 3 months

Photocopies of W-2 and Form 1040 for the past 3 years (2004 -2007)

Letter from employer stating employment status/annual salary and commencement of employment.

Hope this helps :)

Timeline
Hi Everyone,

I'm sooooo glad we've found this thread. It's great! I had another question. Is it appropriate to send photocopies of my W-2 and my income tax files for both myself and my mother to the London interview? I've read about getting official copies from the IRS but it'd be so much faster and easier if copies of my own personal files were acceptable. Any thoughts? Thank you!!

I personally don't have a clue what all this tax terminology means but I can tell you what J and his mom sent me - which the guy commented 'brilliant' on.

For J:

Notarised I-134

Recent Bank Statement showing student loan deposit

Notarised Statement of non-filing of income tax

Statement of Student Financial Aid including grants, loans and scholarships received

For J's mom:

Notarised I-134

Earnings statement/pay check copies for the past 3 months

Photocopies of W-2 and Form 1040 for the past 3 years (2004 -2007)

Letter from employer stating employment status/annual salary and commencement of employment.

Hope this helps :)

Thank you so much. The fact that the guy called your packet "brilliant" is all I needed to hear! :-) I'll be sending much of the same things.

unitedkingdom-.gif

10/11/2005 We met!

K-1

AOS Paperwork

Yay! I got approved!!! 3 and a half hours in that place with about 10 minutes of conversation with a nice man at window no 12 and a very nice American lady (not the infamous Chinese lady) at window no. 16. Had a few probs with the medical on Wednesday but found out today after the interview that the Senior medical officer signed me off last night!! My med stuff is being forwarded to the embassy no later than it would have had nothing gone wrong! YAY!

Anyway, as part of my acceptance speech I would like to thank the following people: :D

I would like to thank the nice American lady at window no.16 without whom none of this would be possible.

Julezabelle for keeping me sane and helping me out so much with organising things pre-interview :luv:

Tomsandi for having two interview dates and being super generous and helping me get an early interview date.

StP and Aly for making me laugh and keeping me going when I got a bit low.

And everyone on the UK board for being supportive to everyone going through interview in London. I felt so much better knowing what I would face in there. So thanks everyone for your reports!

Anyway that's me done. I should also thank my Mum for giving birth to me and waiting outside the embassy for me for almost 4 hours.

:lol: *takes a bow*

Congratulations Babblesgirl and Ladyynara!! They are finally going to let us in, and ACTUALLY STAY!

One way to look at all of this.... if our relationships can survive separation for this long, and all the anxiety which went with it, we have a pretty solid foundation on which to build a successful marriage. In the past 18 months - Marty moved back to the USA, he got divorced from his former wife, we both changed jobs, we bought a house, survived USCIS, and we have planned a wedding. Those are pretty high up there on the list of most stressful things to do, and our relationship is only stronger. Like I said before, life is pretty good right now :lol:

I agree!!! I have maintained for a long while now that going through this process has helped us pave the way for a brilliant future together :D

Babbles - I am so glad it went well even if it did take ages!!! Do you really have to take the DS-156 with you? I have copies but I also sent it back with my packet 3 I think... Also do you need a copy of the police certificate? I have copies of my birth certificate but not my police certificate... it's not exactly hard but still :P

Ummm... I think that is all I have to panic about at the moment... that and my medical... I am not too sure how to prove my vaccinations as I have a print out that looks really lame as it is baically just a screen print... Ahhh - now I am beginning to panic!!! LAME!!!

(¯`v´¯).•*¨`*•?.•´*.¸.•´*

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

10 Year GC Received 03/16/11 - Apply for Citizenship 01/28/12!

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Updating our story and website @ Jeraly.com!

Ucavm8.png?5mOl2yoSa4X9m8.png?i1gWjM94

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

August 2008 AOS Spreadsheet is here! • • • July 2007 K-1 Spreadsheet is here!

Timeline
Babbles - I am so glad it went well even if it did take ages!!! Do you really have to take the DS-156 with you? I have copies but I also sent it back with my packet 3 I think... Also do you need a copy of the police certificate? I have copies of my birth certificate but not my police certificate... it's not exactly hard but still :P

Ummm... I think that is all I have to panic about at the moment... that and my medical... I am not too sure how to prove my vaccinations as I have a print out that looks really lame as it is baically just a screen print... Ahhh - now I am beginning to panic!!! LAME!!!

I took copies of everything just in case. I over did it really because the DS-156 was not required as I had already submitted it with packet 3. Plus they didn't look at any relationship evidence.

The police certificate is yours so copy it (the copy says 'FRAUD' across it, don't worry)and hand both over when asked for, they will return the original of that and the birth certificate when you have your interview. Writing that review it was hard to remember what happened when but I think they kept the originals at first and then the lady at No.16 returned them to me.

The print of the vaccinations sounds fine. Don't stress over that.

eta: The signs outside the embassy say have your DS-156, passport and appointment letter ready. They didn't look at the DS-156 outside either. Maybe it's for non-immigrant interviews.

I think when I go to Asda next Friday I am going to pick myself up a little project book with plastic wallets in to put things in that are separate from my main visa file which has everything in from NOA1 to NOA2 to police check etc... Then at least I know I only have what I need and I can order it differently to my real visa file which is chronological :)

OMG - what do I say if they ask if I got married - I know I will look guilty even though as far as they are concerned I am not married legally... Will have to remember to take ring off as well which will be horrible :lol:

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

Timeline

I got a folder with alphabetical sleeves and made a key ordering things according to the packet 3 checklist, then used the extra pockets for the additional evidence and finally the medical stuff. It's useful because now I can just chuck it all in my suitcase and not have to worry about losing anything.

As far as being married - legally you are not and that's what they're interested in. I think it will complicate things if you tell them about the ceremony, but ultimately this is your choice. At least, legally you are still free to marry.

Yeah - I have no intention of mentioning the ceremony unless they specifically ask. In fact my wedding planner has sent us a letter confirming that we have postponed it if they ask because we sent the contract with our initial I-129f saying the wedding date was the 11th Feb. Obviously we have postponed the actual wedding and we are using our planner again for the smaller ceremony we have in August so that will be cool but still... it is a little scary!!

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.