Sidd

N-400, I-751 and Divorce

2 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Hi Everyone:

I really need some advice. I filed for my PGC I-751 application on Jan 11, 2007. I have not receieved the 10 year PGC yet. They are really slow at NSC. It will be 3 years on March 21st, 2007 with my permanent status.

1. If I don't get my 10 year PGC by march 21th, 2007, Can i apply for the N-400 since I will be 3 years, on March 21th, 2007?

2. What happens to my 10 year PGC application?

3. Main question: I am getting a divorce but she is willing to wait till I file for my N-400 in march, which i think i can. What happens if i get divorced after we apply for N-400? Do i have to withdraw my N-400 or it does not matter since it's already been filed?

4. Does the spouse have to be present for the N-400 interview?

Any other suggestions would be much appreciated! Thanks everyone

Hi Everyone:

I really need some advice. I filed for my PGC I-751 application on Jan 11, 2007. I have not receieved the 10 year PGC yet. They are really slow at NSC. It will be 3 years on March 21st, 2007 with my permanent status.

1. If I don't get my 10 year PGC by march 21th, 2007, Can i apply for the N-400 since I will be 3 years, on March 21th, 2007?

2. What happens to my 10 year PGC application?

3. Main question: I am getting a divorce but she is willing to wait till I file for my N-400 in march, which i think i can. What happens if i get divorced after we apply for N-400? Do i have to withdraw my N-400 or it does not matter since it's already been filed?

4. Does the spouse have to be present for the N-400 interview?

Any other suggestions would be much appreciated! Thanks everyone

You file the citizenship application based on your total time as a permanent resident. It doesn't matter whether conditions are in effect or not. If it takes them a long time to adjudicate your I-751, you don't need to wait until they've finished deciding it. But they do have to finish the I-751 before they can grant you citizenship. In the worst case, the adjudicator at your citizenship interview will finish the I-751 a few moments before he starts interviewing you for the N-400. You don't have to worry about it, just file the N-400 when you're eligible.

If you're applying based on three years of continuous residence because you're married to and living in valid marital union with a US Citizen, then the marriage must remain in effect until you take the oath of citizenship. If the marriage terminates based on divorce or death at any time before citizenship is granted, then you can't become a citizen based on that application. Like any other single LPR, you'd have to file an N-400 no earlier than 90 days before you've completed five years of permanent residence. That's the way the law is written, and there have been sad cases where the USC spouse died shortly before the oath was to have been administered. The alien was ruled ineligible to naturalize, through no fault of his own.

04 Apr, 2004: Got married

05 Apr, 2004: I-130 Sent to CSC

13 Apr, 2004: I-130 NOA 1

19 Apr, 2004: I-129F Sent to MSC

29 Apr, 2004: I-129F NOA 1

13 Aug, 2004: I-130 Approved by CSC

28 Dec, 2004: I-130 Case Complete at NVC

18 Jan, 2005: Got the visa approved in Caracas

22 Jan, 2005: Flew home together! CCS->MIA->SFO

25 May, 2005: I-129F finally approved! We won't pursue it.

8 June, 2006: Our baby girl is born!

24 Oct, 2006: Window for filing I-751 opens

25 Oct, 2006: I-751 mailed to CSC

18 Nov, 2006: I-751 NOA1 received from CSC

30 Nov, 2006: I-751 Biometrics taken

05 Apr, 2007: I-751 approved, card production ordered

23 Jan, 2008: N-400 sent to CSC via certified mail

19 Feb, 2008: N-400 Biometrics taken

27 Mar, 2008: Naturalization interview notice received (NOA2 for N-400)

30 May, 2008: Naturalization interview, passed the test!

17 June, 2008: Naturalization oath notice mailed

15 July, 2008: Naturalization oath ceremony!

16 July, 2008: Registered to vote and applied for US passport

26 July, 2008: US Passport arrived.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.