IR5FORMUMSIE

Recipe Board

131 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I just received an Alumni magazine from my High School. Mr Ho was the cook and he was and still is great! They included one of his recipes (which I haven't tried before) - but I bet it is really good and if you like Asian food you will probably like it!

Mr. Ho's Sichuan Chicken

mrhossichuanchicken.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I posted this recipe ion another thread but I figured I would post it here too...

here is the perogie recipe if anyone is interested...

Dough: mix 1 cup of flour, 1/2 small egg and about 1/4 cup of margarine together with a pastry blender. then add about 1/2 tablespoon sour cream and about 1/4 cup water. Knead until blended. Let dough rest about 30 minutes.

Filling: Boil and mash 5 medium-large potatoes and mix with about 1/4 cup of cheese whiz or shredded cheddar cheese, 1 onion, chopped fine and salt and pepper to taste... Let cool...

Roll out dough on a floured surface, very thin. Cut out round shapes and fill with about a tablespoon of filling, fold in half and pinch closed. Drop perogies 4 or 5 at a time into a pot of boiling salted and oiled water. Stir carefully. when the water boils again and they rise to the top (3 to 5 minutes) they are done. Remove and drain. Drop them into melted 1/4 cup of margarine, flip throughly to coat. Keep them warm in the oven. Serve with sour cream...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
I posted this recipe ion another thread but I figured I would post it here too...

here is the perogie recipe if anyone is interested...

Dough: mix 1 cup of flour, 1/2 small egg and about 1/4 cup of margarine together with a pastry blender. then add about 1/2 tablespoon sour cream and about 1/4 cup water. Knead until blended. Let dough rest about 30 minutes.

Filling: Boil and mash 5 medium-large potatoes and mix with about 1/4 cup of cheese whiz or shredded cheddar cheese, 1 onion, chopped fine and salt and pepper to taste... Let cool...

Roll out dough on a floured surface, very thin. Cut out round shapes and fill with about a tablespoon of filling, fold in half and pinch closed. Drop perogies 4 or 5 at a time into a pot of boiling salted and oiled water. Stir carefully. when the water boils again and they rise to the top (3 to 5 minutes) they are done. Remove and drain. Drop them into melted 1/4 cup of margarine, flip throughly to coat. Keep them warm in the oven. Serve with sour cream...

####### what the hell is a pastry blender? Can I do it in a regular bowl instead at all?

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

So "French Food at Home" is on food tv right now and she just made a savory cake, which is kind of unusual. Anyway it sounds good - wasn't even sure what 'lardoon' was - basically adding fat!

Bacon and Olive Aperitif Cake

Ingredients:

1-1/2 cups flour

1-1/2 tsps baking powder

1/2 tsp ground pepper

3 x eggs, lightly beaten

1/2 cup plus 1 Tbsp butter, melted

2/3 cup olives, pitted and sliced

4 ounces bacon, about 4 slices, cut into lardoons and fried

1 cup Grated Gruyere cheese or grated Parmesan

Pinch of salt, to taste

1 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary (optional)

Directions:

Heat the oven to 350ºF/180ºC. Butter and flour a loaf pan. Sift the flour and baking powder into a mixing bowl, and stir the pepper through. Beat the eggs into the flour. Beat in the melted butter. Stir through the remaining ingredients to distribute evenly. Spoon the batter into the pan and bake 45 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool slightly. Remove from pan. Slice, and serve with drinks. link

Bacon_and_Olive_Aperitif_Cake_001.jpg

Filed: Timeline
So "French Food at Home" is on food tv right now and she just made a savory cake, which is kind of unusual. Anyway it sounds good - wasn't even sure what 'lardoon' was - basically adding fat!

Bacon and Olive Aperitif Cake

I've never heard of that show, but it sounds good. I used to like Jacques Pepin (mostly because I liked his accent :P) but he's not on in the US. :(

Anyway, that reminds me of a fabulous recipe I have for Crescia, which is an Italian cheese bread. It is absolutely delicious, and is fabulous toasted with lots of butter the next day. (Or the same day if you can't wait. :lol:)

CRESCIA

1/4 tsp granulated sugar

1 cup warm milk

2 tbsp quick-rising (instant) dry yeast

3 eggs

2 egg yolks

2/3 cup butter, melted

3/4 tsp pepper

1/2 tsp salt

*3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (approx)

1 1/2 cups grated Parmesan cheese

1 cup grated Romano cheese

1 egg white

In small bowl, dissolve sugar in milk. Sprinkle in yeast; let stand for 10 minutes or until frothy.

In large bowl, whisk together eggs, egg yoks, butter, pepper and salt until smooth; stir in yeast mixture. Beat in 3 cups (750 ml) of the flour in 3 additions; beat for 3 minutes. Beat in Parmesan and Romano cheeses until combined.

Turn out dough onto lightly floured surface. knead, adding remaining flour if necessary to prevent sticking, for 5 minutes or until dough is stiff but elastic and somewhat moist.

Divide dough in half; shape each half into 8-inch square. Roll up into cylinders. Place in 2 greased 8x4 inch (1.5 L) loaf pans. cover and let rise in warm draft-free place for 3 1/2 hours or until dough comes about 3/4 inch above rim.

Whisk egg white until foamy; brush over tops of loaves. Bake in centre of 375o oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until deep brown and loaves sound hollow when tapped on bottom.

Turn out onto rack. Let cool.

(For a slightly softer bread, use olive oil instead of butter.)

*I've only made this recipe with Canadian all-purpose flour, which has a higher gluten content than American all-purpose flour. It may be necessary to substitute bread flour if you live in the US.

iagree.gif

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

if any of you have any favorite, Sheperds Pie recipes would love to see them.. Its one of my husbands favorite things and I tried to make it when I first moved to Canada and got married..he liked it but didnt love it..his mom used to make one that he loved but she passed away last year and I dont have her recipe..

Since were moving in April, Im already planning a Canada Day dinner for him..Sheperds Pie and homemade Butter Tarts (got the recipe from Canadian Living)...Last summer I purchased a bunch of Canada Day themed tableware..table cloths, plates, cups, decorations etc...I got enough so that I could bring them out for my husbands first Canada Day and Thanksgiving away from Canada..

Kimmbo (Las Vegas,NV,USA)

Barry (Brampton,ON,CANADA)

Im an American married to a Canadian, I have no kids, yet Im a grandmother, I can pick things up off the floor with my toes

I-130

----------------

Feb/26/07 Sent I-130 (VSC)($190 US)

March/2/07 Rcv'd at VSC

March/5/07 NOA-1

July/23/07 NOA2(147 days)

I-129F

--------------

March/16/07 Sent I-129F (Chicago) ($170 US)

March/21/07 Received in Chicago

March/22/07 NOA-1

April/10/07 Transferred to VSC

April/23/07 Email from USCIS (case pending at VSC)

July/23/07 NOA2(129 days)

July/28/07 Rcv'd at NVC

July/31/07 NVC sent to Montreal

Aug/3/07 Montreal Rcv'd

Aug/8/07 Packet 3 Received

Aug/10/07 Packet 3 Sent

Aug/13/07 Packet 3 Received in Montreal

Oct/17/07 Medical Scheduled (Dr Seiden)

Jan/25/08 INTERVIEW MONTREAL...APPROVED!

Feb/6/08 Montreal sends Visa, finally!

Feb/8/08 Received Visa (14 days)

April/18/08 Moving Day/POE Sarnia

AOS/EAD

--------------

June/21/08 AOS/EAD package sent ($1010)

June/23/08 Received in Chicago

June/30/08 Check cashed

July/01/08 Received NOA's for I-765 & I-485 (dated June 27th)

July/02/08 Touch

July/07/08 Received Biometrics letter (dated July 1st)

July/18/08 Biometrics appt 8am

Aug/30/08 EAD card received (approval dated Aug 26th)

Sept/04/08 Applied for SSN

Sept/15/08 Social Security card received

Jan/23/09 letter received with interview date

March/10/09 INTERVIEW 9:30am...APPROVED!!

March/19/09 Welcome Letter received

March/23/09 GREENCARD RECEIVED, DONE WITH USCIS UNTIL 2019!

Timeline
if any of you have any favorite, Sheperds Pie recipes would love to see them.. Its one of my husbands favorite things and I tried to make it when I first moved to Canada and got married..he liked it but didnt love it..his mom used to make one that he loved but she passed away last year and I dont have her recipe..

Since were moving in April, Im already planning a Canada Day dinner for him..Sheperds Pie and homemade Butter Tarts (got the recipe from Canadian Living)...Last summer I purchased a bunch of Canada Day themed tableware..table cloths, plates, cups, decorations etc...I got enough so that I could bring them out for my husbands first Canada Day and Thanksgiving away from Canada..

That is such a cute idea kimmbo!

Well my Husband loves my Shepards pie - it's nothing fancy - but here goes.

I either use roast or steak for the pie and I slow cook whatever i'm using - until it's at the falling apart texture. I cook it in a bit of seasoned water (usually in the oven wrapped up in tin foil as I don't use a slow cooker). Seasoned with worcheshire sauce, salt, pepper and some garlic.

For the potatoes - I just make mashed potatoes with milk and a bit of butter.

I fry some onions, add that to the meat after it's cooked, I use canned gravy x 2. Once I have put the meat and onions in the crockery bowl I use in the oven I add the gravy and some more worcheshire sauce and sometimes more garlic.

Put the mashed potatoes on top, sprinkle with grated cheese and bake it for about 1/2 an hour, voila!

Not very exotic, but it tastes good!

Edited by trailmix

I either use roast or steak for the pie and I slow cook whatever i'm using - until it's at the falling apart texture. I cook it in a bit of seasoned water (usually in the oven wrapped up in tin foil as I don't use a slow cooker). Seasoned with worcheshire sauce, salt, pepper and some garlic.

I fry some onions, add that to the meat after it's cooked, I use canned gravy x 2. Once I have put the meat and onions in the crockery bowl I use in the oven I add the gravy and some more worcheshire sauce and sometimes more garlic.

Put the mashed potatoes on top, sprinkle with grated cheese and bake it for about 1/2 an hour, voila!

Here's my twist:

Bottom Layer -

Brown lean ground, drain; saute onions and garlic; mix with the meat and a dash (or 2 or 3 or ...) of worcestershire and HP, salt & pepper to taste

Middle Layer -

Can of whole kernel corn, drained and grated cheese OR can of baked beans and no cheese (all in the preference)

Top Layer -

Mashed potatoes, spread evenly; slap on a tbsp of butter and spread across the pototates, then take a fork and stroke the top making ridges.

Bake 30-45 minutes at 325 and then a quick broil to brown/toast the top

Removal of Conditions

04-14-10 I751 Application sent

04-19-10 NOA1

06-01-10 Biometrics in Detroit

08-10-10 Card Production Order

08-24-10 Green Card Received

AOS Journey

10-06-07 POE Detroit

10-12-07 Married

10-19-07 Mailed AOS Package

10-24-07 AOS package delivered

10-29-07 NOA1 Date

11-07-07 Applied for SSN, Received within 2 weeks

12-11-07 Biometrics in Detroit

12-21-07 I-485 Transferred to CSC

12-31-07 I-765 Card Production Ordered; I-131 Approved

01-07-08 I-131 Received

01-10-08 I-765 Approval Notice Sent

01-12-08 I-765 Received

02-21-08 RFE - Medical

03-18-08 RFE returned

04-07-08 RFE received at CSC

07-15-08 Card Production Order

07-21-08 Green Card Received

K1 Journey

09-12-06 I129F Application sent

09-20-06 NOA1, Receipt Notice

01-22-07 NOA2, Approval Notice

02-08-07 Petition forwarded to Mtl

03-02-07 Pkg 3 Received

03-17-07 Pkg 3 Returned

08-15-07 Montreal Interview, APPROVED

09-11-07 Visa Received

• 1 year later...
Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

OMG... I LOVE IT!!! Canadian recipes! We (okay, rather I) had two bridal showers this past weekend and received MANY cooking items that we registered for. I'm SOOOO excited to get these into my recipe box! Yea!! Thanks, Krikit for finding this!

Event Date

ROC

9/24/11 - Mailed I-751 packet to CSC

9/26/11 - NOA1 Receipt Date

9/28/11 - Check cashed

10/1/11 - NOA1 arrived in mail

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Here's my twist:

Bottom Layer -

Brown lean ground, drain; saute onions and garlic; mix with the meat and a dash (or 2 or 3 or ...) of worcestershire and HP, salt & pepper to taste

Middle Layer -

Can of whole kernel corn, drained and grated cheese OR can of baked beans and no cheese (all in the preference)

Top Layer -

Mashed potatoes, spread evenly; slap on a tbsp of butter and spread across the pototates, then take a fork and stroke the top making ridges.

Bake 30-45 minutes at 325 and then a quick broil to brown/toast the top

Additional twist to Shepard's pie:

cook the ground beef with onion...add a can of undiluted Campbell's tomoto soup and a can of green beans. no additional water required - would be too soupy (haha)

top with mashed taters...which I would load with butter and cheese mashed in

Bake at 375 for a half hour

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.