IR5FORMUMSIE

Recipe Board

131 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Wow, the make your own cook book thing is sooooo cool krikit!! I have some pork tenderloin I have already cooked that I could use in this recipe, but I think I was going to make pork tacos :lol:

Hey someone should make this recipe and take some pictures!

Oh I was just thinking about this curry http://www.justclickasia.com/yeo-s-singapo...urry-gravy.html - if you like curry that is not too hot and not too mild but just right - you might like this yeo's singapore curry gravy.

It's one of my favorites.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
Wow, the make your own cook book thing is sooooo cool krikit!! I have some pork tenderloin I have already cooked that I could use in this recipe, but I think I was going to make pork tacos :lol:

Hey someone should make this recipe and take some pictures!

Oh I was just thinking about this curry http://www.justclickasia.com/yeo-s-singapo...urry-gravy.html - if you like curry that is not too hot and not too mild but just right - you might like this yeo's singapore curry gravy.

It's one of my favorites.

Mmmmm. I love curry. :dance: If you like Thai food, this recipe is AWESOME:

CHIANG MAI NOODLE SOUP

1 can coconut milk

2 tbsp Thai red curry paste (I used green)

1 tsp ground turmeric (I used curry powder)

1 lb bitesize chicken (I used leftover roast chicken and threw in some shrimp)

2 cups chicken stock (I only had 1 3/4. so what)

4 tbsp fish sauce1 tbsp soy saucejuice of 1/2 - 1 lime (depends on size and juiciness. I had a huge juicy lime so I only used 1/4.)

I also added sliced red & yellow peppers, onion, and some mushrooms.

Saute veggies (if using) and raw chicken in bit of oil. Remove from pan. Pour in 1/3 of the coconut milk and bring to boil for a few minutes. Lower heat and stir in curry paste and turmeric. Add rest of coconut milk, chicken stock, fish sauce, and soy sauce. Bring to simmer, stirring frequently. Add chicken & veg and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in lime juice.

The recipe actually calls for blanched fresh egg noodles but I used basmati rice. I mounded the rice on one side of the bowl, then ladled the soup into the other side.

Edited by Krikit
iagree.gif

Timeline
Hey krikit, when you were talking about getting bagels from the Jewish bakery the other day - are those the ones you said were bread like?

No, the bread-like ones are at the grocery stores. The Jewish bakery has the real ones. :thumbs:

Oh good, so I don't have to bake them then :lol:

You guys are sooooo impressive with all the things you cook :) I probably never should let hubby read this thread ... then he may actually expect ME to cook!

I did make this the other night. It is really simple, just a sandwich that I had a lot at a restaurant I went to when in college, and I recreated it. I don't have an actual recipe with amounts, I just do things according to what I have in my kitchen and to taste.

Cook chicken breasts, then cut into either small chunks or shred.

Saute onions and peppers (I like to use red, yellow and green peppers when I have them).

Add cooked chicken to the pan with the onions and peppers. Add salsa and let it simmer for a little (this is to taste).

Add cheese to the mix. I use muenster cheese simply because that was what the sandwich in college had on it, but I imagine cheddar would be yummy as well. Hubby loves cheese so I tend to use a lot for him, making a yummy gooey mess!!!

Serve mixture on a hard roll ... I like to toast the roll first just to get it even crustier.

Then tell husband that since you cooked, he has to cook the rest of the week!!! (It doesn't usually work, but is worth a try!)

2e020152f8374f4fbd9014e3cc2c05fe.jpg

catcatadb20080508_-7_My%20child%20is.png

For those who like to purchase their produce seasonally, Florida's citrus and strawberries are now in season. And now I'm going to do a little mini vent. EVERYTHING'S BUY-ONE-GET-ONE-FREE here!!! Now seriously. If I can barely make it through ONE bag of tangerines or ONE pound of strawberries, HOW IN THE HECK AM I GOING TO EAT TWO?!!! It would be nice if you could donate perishables to a food bank. Not that I know where any food banks are here. Hmm. Maybe I'll ask the church what to do with all my free stuff.

iagree.gif

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
For those who like to purchase their produce seasonally, Florida's citrus and strawberries are now in season. And now I'm going to do a little mini vent. EVERYTHING'S BUY-ONE-GET-ONE-FREE here!!! Now seriously. If I can barely make it through ONE bag of tangerines or ONE pound of strawberries, HOW IN THE HECK AM I GOING TO EAT TWO?!!! It would be nice if you could donate perishables to a food bank. Not that I know where any food banks are here. Hmm. Maybe I'll ask the church what to do with all my free stuff.

Well, you could take that extra freebie on strawberries and freeze them. If you slice them and place them on a cookie sheet you can place them in the freezer and "flash" freeze them...a quick freeze...and bag them up in a ziploc freezer bag. Of course, they're not as firm as fresh when you thaw them out, but they're great in smoothies and such. :)

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Interesting Krikit!! The last time i went to the grocery store they had a sign saying that they didn't think there would be inventory of strawberries due to cold weather.. and whatever we DID get would be expensive.. huh.. I need to move to Florida.. I LOVE fruit..

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

This is a picture of Joel's favourite cake: Red Velvet Cake. It's from scratch, but Duncan Hines does make a Red Velvet Cake mix in the box. The box mix isn't as moist as homemade, but will do when you don't feel like doing one from scratch.

JoelsBirthdayCake.jpg

Red Velvet Cake

2 - 1oz bottles red food colouring

3 TB cocoa

1/2 cup vegetable shortening (recipe calls for Crisco)

1 1/2 cup sugar

2 eggs

1 c. buttermilk

2 1/4 cup plain flour

1 tsp vinegar

1 tsp vanilla

1 tsp soda

1 tsp salt

Cream shortening and sugar. Add eggs and food colouring. Beat for 10 mins. Add buttermilk, slowly add flour, cocoa, salt, and vanilla. Beat well after each addition. Lightly hand mix in batter vinegar and soda. Bake in greased and floured 8 inch cake pans at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes.

Cream Cheese Frosting

1 stick margarine

1 large and 1 small package cream cheese

1 tsp vanilla

1 box confectioner's (powdered) sugar

1 c chopped pecans (optional)

Cream margarine and cream cheese. Add confectioner's sugar and vanilla. Mix well, then add nuts if desired. Spread on cooled cake layers.

Edited by KarenCee

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Interesting Krikit!! The last time i went to the grocery store they had a sign saying that they didn't think there would be inventory of strawberries due to cold weather.. and whatever we DID get would be expensive.. huh.. I need to move to Florida.. I LOVE fruit..

Oh. Interesting. Well all I can say is that all the U-Pick farms here are fully up and running. And I paid $3.99 for 2 lbs of strawberries yesterday..... that I didn't pick. Been there. Done that. Aching back still vivid in memory. :dead:

Well, you could take that extra freebie on strawberries and freeze them. If you slice them and place them on a cookie sheet you can place them in the freezer and "flash" freeze them...a quick freeze...and bag them up in a ziploc freezer bag. Of course, they're not as firm as fresh when you thaw them out, but they're great in smoothies and such. :)

Think I'm going to have to do that. :thumbs:

iagree.gif

This is a picture of Joel's favourite cake: Red Velvet Cake. It's from scratch, but Duncan Hines does make a Red Velvet Cake mix in the box. The box mix isn't as moist as homemade, but will do when you don't feel like doing one from scratch.

Hmm. I'll have leftover buttermilk from when I make my cranberry blueberry bran muffins. Looks like a good way to use it. Thanks Karen.

iagree.gif

Timeline

I have heard of red velvet cake but never really knew that it was red because it was colored with red food dye. I had decided it had some kind of alcohol or cherries added to it. Well now I know! That cake looks delicious, I love cake.

I'm going to make Gnocchi tonight for supper. A nice salad will accompany it. Here's the recipe. Anyone made it? I lost my Mom's recipe for it, haven't made it for Gene since I've been here, but thought I would tonight. I found this one on-line that is pretty much the same as the recipe I lost, so I'm giving it a whirl.

6 potatoes, peeled and boiled, mashed very very well (I whip them)

3 cups flour

2 - 2 1/2 glasses warm water

2 eggs

Pinch of salt

Put flour in large bowl. Make well in flour. Add eggs and water, a little at a time. Knead until dough is smooth but firm and soft. Roll into strips about 1/2 inch thick. Cut into 1 inch pieces and either roll on spiral grooved board or make a dent with 2 fingers. (I wrap them around the end of a wooden spoon so they are indented a little bit) Drop Gnocchi's into rapidly boiling, salted water and cook until Gnocchi's rise to the top.( About 5-10 min.) Remove and drain thoroughly. Place in serving dish. Cover with well seasoned tomato sauce. Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese.

carlahmsb4.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.