Udella&Wiz

What the heck did they do to the Heinz Ketchup???

310 posts in this topic

Down with bottled water!!! :protest:

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Don't you guys have a water softener? Fixes the water spots right up. I had ruined my entire set of glassware a few years ago & finally broke down and replaced my old water softener and it's all good now. As for the tap water I've found that one of those reverse osmosis systems that are professionally installed under the sink or in the basement work wonderfully. My ice cubes are crystal clear, water tastes great etc...

Bashing the entire US because you don't like the brands of food where you live (and i'm sure you have options) or because the water in your town is gross is just silly. I could go to many places in Canada and say what a dump, the water sucks, the food & toothpaste taste weird (because it's different than what i'm accustomed to) but I won't bash the entire nation because of it. Some of the comments here are pretty negative and honestly are hurtful. I was amused at first, then I got offended, now I am just hoping the reason for all this negativity is just because of homesickenss. I hope you guys don't really all hate the US this much. It makes me sad :(

3/5/11 sent LOC paperwork

3/9/11 date of NOA

?/?/?? biometrics appointment

*raises hand* We use soft water.

No one is bashing, we just like our food a certain way and I don't feel like eating everything with HFCS in it, it's gross and makes things taste poopy.

Other than that, yay America! oh and the health care sucks but whatever. :lol:

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Timeline
*raises hand* We use soft water.

No one is bashing, we just like our food a certain way and I don't feel like eating everything with HFCS in it, it's gross and makes things taste poopy.

Other than that, yay America! oh and the health care sucks but whatever. :lol:

Wow, the healthcare sucks too? :( Another stab to my heart (i'm a nurse). My fiance (canadian) came to the doctor with me when I was ill and was very impressed. Said you'd never see that good service in Canada. Interesting. Also where he is you have to wait at least a year if you want a new doctor. I'm by no means an expert on Canada's healthcare system but am intrigued by the comments I keep hearing. (Also, please don't think I'm trying to start anything here. I just had to comment that it hurt to read all the negativity.)

I hope you just mean it sucks because you have to pay for health insurance here. I saw a post a while back stating that Canada's taxes were insane because you actually are paying for healthcare via taxes. I have no idea if that's true but nothing is free anywhere ever. Someone has to pay and it's usually the little guy.

I'm going to have to do some taste testing with this HFCS issue next week when I'm visiting him. I've already had candybars in Canada and detected no difference. So what am I checking for? Ketchup of course, and the mac & cheese, but what else is a big difference? The toothpaste I have to believe because last time I was there I forgot mine, used his and thought omg what is wrong with this stuff, ewwww! lol To me it had a weird tang or something. I think it was Colgate but i'm not sure.

3/9/11 date of NOA

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Don't you guys have a water softener? Fixes the water spots right up. I had ruined my entire set of glassware a few years ago & finally broke down and replaced my old water softener and it's all good now. As for the tap water I've found that one of those reverse osmosis systems that are professionally installed under the sink or in the basement work wonderfully. My ice cubes are crystal clear, water tastes great etc...

Bashing the entire US because you don't like the brands of food where you live (and i'm sure you have options) or because the water in your town is gross is just silly. I could go to many places in Canada and say what a dump, the water sucks, the food & toothpaste taste weird (because it's different than what i'm accustomed to) but I won't bash the entire nation because of it. Some of the comments here are pretty negative and honestly are hurtful. I was amused at first, then I got offended, now I am just hoping the reason for all this negativity is just because of homesickenss. I hope you guys don't really all hate the US this much. It makes me sad :(

Aww don't be sad CBR! Even Canadian's have to vent once in a while :)

I hear you, I get offended when people bash Canada and I'm not like a flag waver or anything but, like you, I try to see where the person is coming from, try not to take it personally.

I just re-read this thread and I personally don't see any U.S. bashing? I see a lot of ketchup bashing though :thumbs:

CBR, in no way am I meaning to hurt your feelings.

Canada has universal health care. We don't pay for everyday life situations. We do pay through taxes, but at least it's coming out slowly. Not everyone can afford thousands of dollars at one time. I don't have to pay money to have a a baby. I don't have to pay money if I break an arm or a leg.

Watch the movie "Sicko" and you'll see what I'm talking about.

I've had no problems getting in to see my doctor. I can make an appointment and get in to see him that week, sometimes the same day. We have good doctors here just as you do. The only difference is, more than 1/2 of America can't afford to go see one.

I've heard of horror stories from the States, like a man who lost 4 fingers in an accident. His insurance wouldn't cover the entire operation and so he had to choose ONE finger to be put back on his hand. Just one. That's all he could afford.

Another story of a single mother, her daughter needed medical aid for an emergency. She took her to the hospital only to found out that they wouldn't help her because her insurance wasn't covered at that particular hospital. No one would help her and by the time she got to another hospital, the child died.

I've heard of 9/11 workers (the ones with the respiratory problems) who can't get treatment in the States and they went down to Cuba and got treated, no questions asked...FOR FREE.

America is so worried about the war and oil but they aren't taking care of their own people!

America is a great country, one of the most powerful but they really need to take a look at what they are doing and try to use their power more wisely.

I mean no disrespect to you whatsoever.

Edited by ~Laura and Nick~

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Timeline

Thanks Trailmix, I understand. I'm not a flag waver for the US either, it just got to me I guess. Probably stress making me take it personally. I just always thought Canada was a great country and the people friendly so it got to me. I didn't like to think that Canadians felt this way. I want you to all like it here and feel welcome and comfortable.

Perhaps if I moved there thought I'd start noticing the subtle differences too and if I were homesick I'd want the familiarities of home, idk.

3/9/11 date of NOA

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Thanks Trailmix, I understand. I'm not a flag waver for the US either, it just got to me I guess. Probably stress making me take it personally. I just always thought Canada was a great country and the people friendly so it got to me. I didn't like to think that Canadians felt this way. I want you to all like it here and feel welcome and comfortable.

Perhaps if I moved there thought I'd start noticing the subtle differences too and if I were homesick I'd want the familiarities of home, idk.

I'm sure there'd be a lot on the bored who would probably think we were just whining, after all our cultures are so similar.. but sometimes I think that's what smarts so much.. you THINK it should be so similar..

The HFCS that we're going on about.. it basically means that we can't eat ANY processed food in the US or we have to eat that #######.. that's a pretty major life change.. those things that we used to love to eat- now all taste differently and more importantly are not healthy to eat any more. SO.. it makes a trip to the grocery store pretty darn frustrating. I've found the stuff hidden in things I"d never expect -tomato sauce and bread being good examples, so it feels a bit like a conspiracy that this ####### is lurking everywhere in our food. It's an adjustment - one that I've failed in as I've gained weight trying to adjust.. we may sound like we're complaining, but we are gaining some support and assurance that we're not alone, which i think is what this board is all about in the first place. We're adjusting to the new life here in the US.. and there are big adjustments for many for various reason.. :) No worries.. it's all good and you are entitled to your opinion! ;) We love those around here!

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

I'm sure there'd be a lot on the bored who would probably think we were just whining, after all our cultures are so similar.. but sometimes I think that's what smarts so much.. you THINK it should be so similar..

The HFCS that we're going on about.. it basically means that we can't eat ANY processed food in the US or we have to eat that #######.. that's a pretty major life change.. those things that we used to love to eat- now all taste differently and more importantly are not healthy to eat any more. SO.. it makes a trip to the grocery store pretty darn frustrating. I've found the stuff hidden in things I"d never expect -tomato sauce and bread being good examples, so it feels a bit like a conspiracy that this ####### is lurking everywhere in our food. It's an adjustment - one that I've failed in as I've gained weight trying to adjust.. we may sound like we're complaining, but we are gaining some support and assurance that we're not alone, which i think is what this board is all about in the first place. We're adjusting to the new life here in the US.. and there are big adjustments for many for various reason.. :) No worries.. it's all good and you are entitled to your opinion! ;) We love those around here!

Nicely Put E :thumbs:

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Timeline

Ok I feel better, thanks guys. I have a future relative that openly dislikes the US and Americans who makes alot of the same comments so it had me worrying.

I agree with the issues regarding the healthcare SYSTEM, meaning the INSURANCE companies here not paying when they should and getting away with restricting payment on life threatening treatments. It's outrageous and the blame shouldn't be on the hospitals or doctors. It has nothing to do with ketchup so I won't go any further on that here.

As for the HFCS issue it's something I knew was there I guess, but didn't realize it was an issue. If it's affecting our health & waistlines something should be done! It's surprising with all the health awareness going on here that we continue to have something like that put into our food. I wonder what the real reason for that is. Probably cheaper or something <_< .

And as for cheese, you haven't had wisconsin cheese obviously. We have the best cheese :D !

Then again, for those of you expressing a fondness for Cheezewiz im afraid there's no hope for your cheese tastebuds :P .

3/9/11 date of NOA

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
As for the HFCS issue it's something I knew was there I guess, but didn't realize it was an issue. If it's affecting our health & waistlines something should be done! It's surprising with all the health awareness going on here that we continue to have something like that put into our food. I wonder what the real reason for that is. Probably cheaper or something <_< .

Since its introduction, HFCS has begun to replace sugar in various processed foods in the USA.[4] The main reasons for this switch are:[5]

HFCS is somewhat cheaper due to the relative abundance of corn and the relative lack of sugar beets, as well as farm subsidies and sugar import tariffs in the United States.[6]

HFCS is easier to blend and transport because it is a liquid.[7]

HFCS usage leads to products with much longer shelf life.

Because of a system of price supports and sugar quotas imposed since May 1982, importing sugar into the United States is prohibitively expensive

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_fructose_corn_syrup

An amazing documentary to watch is "Big Sugar" http://www.cbc.ca/documentaries/bigsugar/index.html - opened my eyes to the issues big-time.

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Timeline

CBR, in no way am I meaning to hurt your feelings.

Canada has universal health care. We don't pay for everyday life situations. We do pay through taxes, but at least it's coming out slowly. Not everyone can afford thousands of dollars at one time. I don't have to pay money to have a a baby. I don't have to pay money if I break an arm or a leg.

Watch the movie "Sicko" and you'll see what I'm talking about.

I've had no problems getting in to see my doctor. I can make an appointment and get in to see him that week, sometimes the same day. We have good doctors here just as you do. The only difference is, more than 1/2 of America can't afford to go see one.

I've heard of horror stories from the States, like a man who lost 4 fingers in an accident. His insurance wouldn't cover the entire operation and so he had to choose ONE finger to be put back on his hand. Just one. That's all he could afford.

Another story of a single mother, her daughter needed medical aid for an emergency. She took her to the hospital only to found out that they wouldn't help her because her insurance wasn't covered at that particular hospital. No one would help her and by the time she got to another hospital, the child died.

I've heard of 9/11 workers (the ones with the respiratory problems) who can't get treatment in the States and they went down to Cuba and got treated, no questions asked...FOR FREE.

America is so worried about the war and oil but they aren't taking care of their own people!

America is a great country, one of the most powerful but they really need to take a look at what they are doing and try to use their power more wisely.

I mean no disrespect to you whatsoever.

are you kidding me...I would never ever recommend anyone to watch that info twisting, hypocritical, lying jerk's movies...except to laugh at how unfactual they are. I have very strong opinions about Michael Moore which I will refrain from bringing into this thread for fear of derailing. But I don't like the guy :no:

K-1 Process

I-129F Sent : 2007-04-28

I-129F NOA1 :2007-06-05

I-129F RFE(s) :2007-10-28

RFE Reply(s) :2007-11-05

I-129F NOA2 :2007-11-28

NVC Received : 2007-12-20

NVC Left :2007-12-27 (due to holidays :P)

Consulate Received :2007/12/28 (Vancouver)

Packet 3 Received :2008-01-07

Packet 3 Sent :2008-01-07

Packet 4 Received :2008-01-14

Interview Date :2008-02-11

Visa Received :2008-02-13

US Entry :2008-02-20

Marriage :2008-02-26

Wedding Ceremony: 2008-05-03

Adjustment of Status 4105.gif

CIS Office : Saint Louis MO

Date Filed : 2008-03-09

NOA: 2008-03-15

RFE(s) : 2008-03-29

Bio. Appt. : 2008-04-01

Touched: 04/01 - 04/02 - 04/16 - 04/17 - 04/18 - 04/21 - 05/06 - 05/07 - 05/08

Transferred to CSC: 2008-04-30

APPROVED!! : 2008-06-18

Employment Authorization Document

CIS Office : Chicago National Office

Filing Method :Mail

Bio. Appt. : 2008-04-01

Approved: 2008-05-12

Advance Parole

CIS Office : Chicago National Office

Filing Method : Mail

Approved: 2008-05-12

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.