Udella&Wiz

What the heck did they do to the Heinz Ketchup???

310 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

I made some bread for Christmas dinner, and it was totally knead free and very very yummy :yes: Only thing I had to do with it was fold it in on itself a couple of times and then leave it to rise. I don't have a lot of usable counter space for working dough unfortunately.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline

Wow. Here's one for real Montreal bagels!

MONTREAL BAGELS

Source: Eating Well Magazine (March/April 1996)

Ingredients

• 3 tablespoons honey
  • 3 tablespoons sugar
  • 3 tablespoons vegetable oil (canola oil preferred)
  • 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
  • 1 tablespoon lightly beaten egg
  • 1 teaspoon malt syrup or powder (look in home-brewing or health food stores)
  • 4 to 5 cups white bread flour (unbleached flour preferred)
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 cup poppy or sesame seeds
  • 6 quarts water
  • 1/4 cup honey
1. Whisk together 1-1/4 cups lukewarm water, 3 tablespoons honey, sugar, oil, yeast, egg and malt in large bowl until yeast dissolves. Stir in 1 cup flour. Stir in salt and enough additional flour to make a soft dough (about 2-1/2 cups).

2. Turn dough out onto floured surface. Knead, slowly incorporating more flour, until smooth and very firm, 10-12 minutes. Cover with dish towel and let rest 10 minutes.

3. Divide dough into 14 pieces: roll into cylinders and curve into circles, pressing ends together, to form bagel shapes. Let rise 20 minutes.

4. Preheat oven to 450-degrees (F). Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside. Bring water and 1/4 cup honey to boil in a large soup pot.

5. Kettle the bagels by slipping them into the boiling water for 45 seconds per side. Drain on dish towels; place on baking sheets.

6. Sprinkle generously with seeds.

7. Place in oven, reduce heat to 425-degrees (F) and bake 12 minutes. Turn over and bake more minutes or until golden brown.

iagree.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I would be willing to try making bagels! We had no bread for xmas dinner because I bought those frozen rolls (because the recipe thread had made me think of them) then I promptly forgot to take them out of the freezer :thumbs:

I would be willing to try making bagels! We had no bread for xmas dinner because I bought those frozen rolls (because the recipe thread had made me think of them) then I promptly forgot to take them out of the freezer :thumbs:

I think we should! And then post our pics of them afterwards. But maybe put it in the recipe thread. This thread should be only for our Heinz Ketchup pics. :P

Edited by Krikit
iagree.gif

Timeline
I think we should! And then post our pics of them afterwards. But maybe put it in the recipe thread. This thread should be only for our Heinz Ketchup pics. :P

Are you implying this thread has gone completely off topic!!

I just said to my Husband "Ok, we are going to make bagels!" - he said "no we're not" with this kind of, you're kidding right - look on his face. heinz.gif

Edited by trailmix

I just said to my Husband "Ok, we are going to make bagels!" - he said "no we're not" with this kind of, you're kidding right - look on his face. heinz.gif

I think I'd get the same reaction from my husband. He doesn't even know how to work the oven. Actually, I had to laugh when we were in Canada at Christmas. We were over at my friend's house for dinner, and his wife had been delayed at work, so he was starting the supper. The next thing I knew, my friend was calling to me from the kitchen.... "I don't know how to turn on the oven." So I know my husband's not the only one. :lol:

But I'll tell my husband the same thing when he gets home (he's at the gym) and let you know what he says. :lol:

heinzyk7.jpg

Edited by Krikit
iagree.gif

Timeline

My Husband can actually cook, although he doesn't get much opportunity to as I usually have dinner ready by the time he gets home, unless I don't feel like making dinner of course :blink:

14.jpg

Edited by trailmix

Filed: Other Timeline

My husband doesn't even know what a bagel is, so I think I've got you both beat! :P;)

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

My fiance knows what a bagel is... but he has noo clue what an English Muffin is. His face was clueless when I mentioned it. But I also had no clue what a biscuit was.

Also, I've noticed difference it what we call things. Such as In Canada, we call it a Pogo... but they call it a Corn Dog! And I Say Converter and he says Remote Control. lol

Timeline
My fiance knows what a bagel is... but he has noo clue what an English Muffin is. His face was clueless when I mentioned it. But I also had no clue what a biscuit was.

Also, I've noticed difference it what we call things. Such as In Canada, we call it a Pogo... but they call it a Corn Dog! And I Say Converter and he says Remote Control. lol

That's funny, I had forgotten about 'converter' for remote control, I used to call it that! We call them corn dogs here in the wild west - but I have seen the pogo brand ones at the store.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

My husband has learned lots of "Southernisms" since moving to Georgia. Some I've found hard to explain even though I've used them all my life. Does that make sense? Anywho, I bought him a couple of books to help him along: The Dixie Dictionary and How To Speak Southern. :D

BTW, we live in the Northeast Georgia mountains, near where the Cabbage Patch Dolls are "born".

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Timeline

heinz.gif

My husband has learned lots of "Southernisms" since moving to Georgia. Some I've found hard to explain even though I've used them all my life. Does that make sense? Anywho, I bought him a couple of books to help him along: The Dixie Dictionary and How To Speak Southern. :D

BTW, we live in the Northeast Georgia mountains, near where the Cabbage Patch Dolls are "born".

I popped in to Zellers yesterday, for no particular reason and I saw these signs in the automotive department - metal signs - and the one on top said Southern Born - then some red white and blue logo type thing then Southern Bred.

I think they were on sale, perhaps not a big seller :blink:

I did not see any ketchup at Zellers

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
heinz.gif

I popped in to Zellers yesterday, for no particular reason and I saw these signs in the automotive department - metal signs - and the one on top said Southern Born - then some red white and blue logo type thing then Southern Bred.

I think I'm gonna have to get The Dixie Dictionary and How To Speak Southern!! My fiance and his family and friends have been trying to teach me how to speak Southern. I'm doing well so far but maybe those books would help.

I got some great deals at Zellers when I was home for Christmas! (Hats & mits, slippers and boots.)

As to the metal signs.... that's just weird. Maybe it will make sense to someone who is southern born and/or bred? :blink:

iagree.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.