Udella&Wiz

What the heck did they do to the Heinz Ketchup???

310 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Maybe we need an American forum so some dont feel offended!! lol

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
Actually I sat on this topic for days, just didn't respond...then I felt I had to. Actually it's a GOOD thing I did! I'm firmly convinced now, that I shouldn't, and won't anymore, post in a forum that is not specifically related to immigration and this process. At least as much as I can assist! I moved from the OT because of the comments there, to posting usually just in the Canada forum. Now, I'm just going to limit myself to specific immigration questions throughout the site. Just one step away from leaving altogether me thinks...oh well, I won't be the first, and definitely not the last.

Carla (F)

Anyone wish to take over my coffee job in the mornings?

Don't leave Carla, this is your forum. I'm leaving. Sorry for trying to understand the point of view here, and obviously upsetting you. Didn't intend to.

I didn't say I was leaving, well at least not yet. I said I won't be posting in a forum that is not specifically related to immigration and this process. Of course you can't leave...you're just starting your journey! There is no better place to get information about the Canadian process than here in the Canada forum. Perhaps not the Heinz Ketchup one, but you know what I mean. There is an endless amount of support and encouragement here, and you'll need it more and more the closer you get to the interview stage. It's wonderful that you're here to get as much information for the process for your Canadian fiance. There are lots of specific items you're going to want information on in the process that's best understood here, or this is the only place to get it, specifically from Canada.

For many people here, and I've been here... :o since April 2006??? Wow! Didn't realize it was so long... Anyway, for many people here, there presence becomes more limited after they've completed most of their journey, and/or when they've had a bad day. I've had more than a few bad days recently, especially spending my first Christmas without my children. We all have had a day that broke the camel's back...and I think these last several have been that for me. I remember not too long ago that Len had just about had it.... Some of us return, some not. Some limit their postings, some don't.

Beware this is the place where Canadians feel they can complain as well. It makes us feel at home. Which is why perhaps your "trying to understand" just didn't sound like that's what you were doing to me. And I'm also sure, you didn't intend to upset me. Alas, there is nothing YOU can do about how I feel. I'm the only one that can take responsibliity for my feelings.

So, saying that, I encourage you to avail yourself of all the Canadian forum has to offer. I can choose when or if I will participate in a thread. It would never lessen my sincerity in responding to any thread where you have questions either.

Loved your post Reba.

Carla (F)

Thank you Carla, for your PM's and post here. I'm very relieved that you're not "leaving". I would have felt terrible if my posts had run you off! I do get that it's much harder for the fiance that has to move to a new country, I really do. And not seeing your kids for Christmas had to be really hard. I know I wouldn't take that easily either.

To everyone else:

Arg, I sure didn't mean to start a big thing here. Maybe it would help if I explain more of why I asked my question. It seems that some of these posts have been directed at me as I was the only person who said anything about feeling offended by the negative comments made towards the US.

I don't live near the border, I had never met a Canadian before my fiance and the only view I had was that Canada was a beautiful country, the cities looked very clean in pictures with impressive architecture, the people and culture very similar to the US, and that's really about it.

So, when I met my future in-laws and started hearing so many negative comments I wondered what was up. I don't know anybody who feels negatively toward Canada in general so why the dislike coming from them (meaning my future in-laws)?

The negativity had to do with food, politics, school systems, healthcare, media, job benefits, you name it. I bit my tongue through it all but it had me wondering if it was a widespread attitude or if maybe they just resented me personally, or if they didn't realize how negative it all was and just talked about these things because it was something to talk to me about. I really didn't and still don't know so I just politely listen and try not to say too much (even though some of it does hurt, I mean afterall they're talking about how I grew up, my career (healthcare), my friends family neighbors by saying "americans this and that", the food I eat, how I cook etc...after a while it gets sickening and it's hard not to take it personally when it's your life.)

When I came on this forum and started reading much of the same comments being made by other Canadians I had to ask. I thought you guys could give me an unbiased answer since I'm not marrying your son (lol). That was all. I shouldn't have said I was offended but I really didn't think that my feeling offended would offend so many other people. I mean it's my own personal feeling and my own problem.

To to sum up (so nobody takes me the wrong way again, hopefully):

I wish I hadn't said anything..I feel crappy that I got everybody going on this. My apologies to all. I no longer feel offended personally by the comments. I do understand it's harder for the person moving to the US to adjust and that they are giving up alot and I mean ALOT in coming here to be with the one they love. I have no problem with you all venting about it either. I just wanted to understand better where it was coming from, plain and simple. If you truely hate it here, I hope you find happiness, I sincerely do. My statement of feeling sad about it wasn't silly, it was sincere. I wouldn't wish for anybody to be miserable and hate where they are but have to in order to be with the one they love. That has to be rough.

3/5/11 sent LOC paperwork

3/9/11 date of NOA

?/?/?? biometrics appointment

Timeline

Nice post CBR

I dont think anyone was trying to offend anyone! We all simply dont like some things in the USA. I don't like everything in Canada! People are not being offensive, just stating an opinion!

Time to study!! I keep putting it off, but should hit the books!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

Indeed. My in-laws sounded much like yours at first CBR. In fact when I first met the family my French Canadian sister-in-law (married to my husband's brother) told me how glad that she was that I was in the family. And just when I was starting to feel all gooey inside she continued and said that it was because while my husband's family hates French Canadians they hate Americans more. :lol: Now they don't really hate French Canadians, although there is a lot of good natured bantering that goes on back and forth. But they were some, shall we say lively, discussions about our respective nations when I first got to know them. There were some misconceptions on both sides that have been ironed out in the 2 years that I have been part of the family. And quite honestly some of the things that didn't impress me about Canada or didn't impress them about the US were things that we all could agree on. So now it's mostly good natured bantering about whether Montreal or NYC has better bagels (NYC of course) and yes, it really does suck having an idiot running your country. :whistle:

So give your in-laws some time CBR. Hopefully they will evenutally come around too.

canadaC.gif - Derek usaCa.gif- KJ

TIMELINE

Civil Ceremony - 02/19/2005

I-130 Mailed Out - 02/25/2005

I-130 NOA1 - 03/04/2005

I-130 Approved - 04/07/2005

Pay I-864 - 05/13/2005

Return I-864 - 07/22/2005 *We mailed in the wrong birth certificate which led to a month or so delay*

Family Ceremony - 10/22/2005

Interview in Montreal - 12/22/2005

Activate Visa - 12/25/2005

Move to Virginia - 04/06/2006

Mailed I-751 - 11/02/2007

Received in Vermont - 11/05/2007

Check Cashed by VSC - 11/09/2007

Received NOA 1 - 11/10/2007

Biometrics - 01/10/2008

Card production ordered - 09/10/2008

Card received! - 09/17/2008

Now on to citizenship...

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Indeed. My in-laws sounded much like yours at first CBR. In fact when I first met the family my French Canadian sister-in-law (married to my husband's brother) told me how glad that she was that I was in the family. And just when I was starting to feel all gooey inside she continued and said that it was because while my husband's family hates French Canadians they hate Americans more. :lol: Now they don't really hate French Canadians, although there is a lot of good natured bantering that goes on back and forth. But they were some, shall we say lively, discussions about our respective nations when I first got to know them. There were some misconceptions on both sides that have been ironed out in the 2 years that I have been part of the family. And quite honestly some of the things that didn't impress me about Canada or didn't impress them about the US were things that we all could agree on. So now it's mostly good natured bantering about whether Montreal or NYC has better bagels (NYC of course) and yes, it really does suck having an idiot running your country. :whistle:

So give your in-laws some time CBR. Hopefully they will evenutally come around too.

Montreal has better bagels.

Timeline

:lol: Never! I will admit that they are better that what you can find in Washington, DC. But that's not hard. :P

TIMELINE

I-130 NOA1 - 03/04/2005

Pay I-864 - 05/13/2005

Return I-864 - 07/22/2005 *We mailed in the wrong birth certificate which led to a month or so delay*

Biometrics - 01/10/2008

Now on to citizenship...

Timeline

Better than a dunkin bagel????

Timeline
Better than a dunkin bagel????

:bonk: That, sir, is no bagel. If push comes to shove and I *have* to have a bagel, I go to the Georgetown bagelry on M Street. They have OK pizza too.

Can you tell I am a bagel snob? :lol:

TIMELINE

I-130 NOA1 - 03/04/2005

Pay I-864 - 05/13/2005

Biometrics - 01/10/2008

Now on to citizenship...

Timeline
To to sum up (so nobody takes me the wrong way again, hopefully):

I wish I hadn't said anything..I feel crappy that I got everybody going on this. My apologies to all. I no longer feel offended personally by the comments. I do understand it's harder for the person moving to the US to adjust and that they are giving up alot and I mean ALOT in coming here to be with the one they love. I have no problem with you all venting about it either. I just wanted to understand better where it was coming from, plain and simple. If you truely hate it here, I hope you find happiness, I sincerely do. My statement of feeling sad about it wasn't silly, it was sincere. I wouldn't wish for anybody to be miserable and hate where they are but have to in order to be with the one they love. That has to be rough.

I was writing my, hopefully unbiased, answer yesterday then just trashed it all :)

Yes, there is a lot of anti-american feeling in Canada in general. I can't speak for all of Canada - I only live in one small part of it (Calgary). Despite a perception, in some circles, that Alberta is merely an extension of the U.S. in general and Texas in particular - if you work say in an office here you are going to hear anti-american comments at some point. If someone says they are moving to the States there will be a loud WHY!?!?

I actually saw a letter to the editor a few months ago where an American woman said she was totally surprised and had been brought to tears by anti-American comments, since moving here.

I think you have heard a lot of the reasons from your future inlaws. I don't remember it always being like this - for instance when I was growing up (however I spent a lot of time out of the country). Plus when you are growing up you are busy catching ants and riding your bike!

When your inlaws speak like that they probably haven't even considered that it insults you (and I do understand why it would) - when they speak of Americans they probably speak more of a country in general than individuals. I try to keep in mind that the U.S. is a country of individuals - some of whom are grand people and not dump them in with the GWB's of this world. (In fact I said something along those lines to my Son last night - who is not at all enamoured with U.S. politics). It certainly doesn't help that GWB has been in office for 7 years, had it been 4 there would have been a more forgiving attitude - WOW huge mistake, glad they got out of that quickly - you get my drift.

Corporate America, I believe, also does a disservice to the country. Example: Recently we had a review on energy royalties - obviously a review to see if we need to increase them, there has been no increase for several years. Big American oil company (can't think of the name) starts barely veiled threats - we will move out of the province, blah blah blah. Well the review came and went, the royalties for Alberta did go up and the company did in fact move some of their investment money I believe. Too bad. I mean basically they were threatening Albertans with this huge reduction in exploration and investment with the suggestion our economy would collapse. It did not - obviously - and we knew that it wouldn't - but the condescending, threatening propaganda didn't go over well.

A lot of information given about the U.S. in the media is also negative - however - I would say that most of that negativity comes from the U.S. media, not Canadian (whether it be the President, the economy, healthcare or the school system). The headline would be - 'Detroit schools rank number 49 in worldwide math test' rather than 'Alaska places 3rd in worldwide math test' - you see what I mean.

Anyway, I have rambled on here, don't feel bad about bringing this up, this isn't the first time this has come up and I just know it won't be the last :)

Timeline

Trailmix: Excellent post! It explains alot for me. Thing is that many Americans feel the same way about GWB and corporate america. You're absolutely right about the media too. It irks me the way they skew their reports any way they want to make it more sensational. The news should be unbiased and factual. They like to say whatever is going to catch people's attention and the good things just aren't as interesting as the bad.

3/5/11 sent LOC paperwork

3/9/11 date of NOA

?/?/?? biometrics appointment

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

:lol: Never! I will admit that they are better that what you can find in Washington, DC. But that's not hard. :P

When I moved back to Montreal when I was 21- I lived right by the Faubourg- A great market that had everything- I used to go get fresh warm bagels and whipped pimento cream cheese. One night I pigged out on them hardcore and spend most the night throwing up. It was worth it :)

Filed: Timeline

Thanks for the mature, thoughtful, posts. I was seriously concerned that this thread was spiralling to its demise. Something which I really hated the thought of because the Canada Forum has been such a refuge for me.

I like Montreal bagels. :thumbs:

But only because I've never tried any real NY bagels. But I did finally find a Jewish bagel shop within a 45 minute drive from here so I'm now a happy bagel eater again. I just wish they had good cream cheese.

:P

iagree.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Canadian Negativity was one thing growing up that I was really happy to leave behind in Canada when I moved here. Not just Anti-American, people were Anti-Canadian, Anti-This, Anti-That and so on. In college it was the same thing, but the Americans I met (being on a border city) were really nice and friendly and I ended up hanging out with them more then the Canadian people.

Sure people complain here, they joke about Canada and other countries the same way people in Texas used to make fun of New Jersians. In Canada it wasn't just joking, they are very serious and that's just one of the things I was happy to get the hell out of...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Timeline

My fiance and I argue back and forth about the two countries, mostly jokingly and I always end up getting angry with him. lol. Maybe I do need "thicker skin" :rolleyes: .

I've always heard from my parents my whole life how Canada wouldn't be there without the US and we protect Canada...like Canada is our little project or something. :lol: .. but they are the only ones around I have ever heard really "bash" Canada (my mom mostly). The first time my fiance came here was for christmas and he bought her a Canada sweatshirt with a big leaf on the front...I don't think she has worn it to this day but it was pretty funny :lol:.

I went to work one day and sat with some people I had never really talked to before, two of them being immigrants, and I told them I was going through the visa process with my fiance to move here. Their response was "why wouldn't you move THERE!?!" So yes, there is def. US hate in and outside of this country, and I don't tolerate any of it very well. People should definitely realize that some of the things they say can hit a sore spot on others.

I can't wait for the next presidency, I hope they all live up to what they say they will do about healthcare HMO's (not overhaul the healthcare, universal healthcare is not what I want :P), the economy (incl. national budget), and the Iraq war. This country is in a mess right now and needs some serious help, especially in foreign affairs and getting everyone to "like" us again. It hurts to hear anyone talk down about the place where you have built your life.

*GROUP HUG!* :luv:

K-1 Process

I-129F Sent : 2007-04-28

I-129F NOA1 :2007-06-05

I-129F RFE(s) :2007-10-28

RFE Reply(s) :2007-11-05

I-129F NOA2 :2007-11-28

NVC Received : 2007-12-20

NVC Left :2007-12-27 (due to holidays :P)

Consulate Received :2007/12/28 (Vancouver)

Packet 3 Received :2008-01-07

Packet 3 Sent :2008-01-07

Packet 4 Received :2008-01-14

Interview Date :2008-02-11

Visa Received :2008-02-13

US Entry :2008-02-20

Marriage :2008-02-26

Wedding Ceremony: 2008-05-03

Adjustment of Status 4105.gif

CIS Office : Saint Louis MO

Date Filed : 2008-03-09

NOA: 2008-03-15

RFE(s) : 2008-03-29

Bio. Appt. : 2008-04-01

Touched: 04/01 - 04/02 - 04/16 - 04/17 - 04/18 - 04/21 - 05/06 - 05/07 - 05/08

Transferred to CSC: 2008-04-30

APPROVED!! : 2008-06-18

Employment Authorization Document

CIS Office : Chicago National Office

Filing Method :Mail

Bio. Appt. : 2008-04-01

Approved: 2008-05-12

Advance Parole

CIS Office : Chicago National Office

Filing Method : Mail

Approved: 2008-05-12

Timeline
When I moved back to Montreal when I was 21- I lived right by the Faubourg- A great market that had everything- I used to go get fresh warm bagels and whipped pimento cream cheese. One night I pigged out on them hardcore and spend most the night throwing up. It was worth it :)

lol

Pimento cream cheese sounds divine! I love bagels, I don't even care where they come from, MTL, Denver, Chicago or Calgary...ahhh bagels :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.