Udella&Wiz

What the heck did they do to the Heinz Ketchup???

310 posts in this topic

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bashing the entire US because you don't like the brands of food where you live (and i'm sure you have options) or because the water in your town is gross is just silly. I could go to many places in Canada and say what a dump, the water sucks, the food & toothpaste taste weird (because it's different than what i'm accustomed to) but I won't bash the entire nation because of it. Some of the comments here are pretty negative and honestly are hurtful. I was amused at first, then I got offended, now I am just hoping the reason for all this negativity is just because of homesickenss. I hope you guys don't really all hate the US this much. It makes me sad :(

I tried finding a "biting my tongue" smiley, but couldn't. Funny how you accuse "us" of "bashing the entire US", and then make equally global statements about Canadians. I don't know what circumstances your fiance is coming to the US, since it's obvious you're the US citizen, but maybe you need to spend some more time thinking about what struggles your Canadian fiance is going to encounter coming to the US and be sad that he's going to leave his country, and think of ways to ensure he has a good experience. If you read a lot of posts here, the ONLY reason we're here is because our spouse couldn't make the move to Canada. (at least not yet)

Carla (F)

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
Bashing the entire US because you don't like the brands of food where you live (and i'm sure you have options) or because the water in your town is gross is just silly. I could go to many places in Canada and say what a dump, the water sucks, the food & toothpaste taste weird (because it's different than what i'm accustomed to) but I won't bash the entire nation because of it. Some of the comments here are pretty negative and honestly are hurtful. I was amused at first, then I got offended, now I am just hoping the reason for all this negativity is just because of homesickenss. I hope you guys don't really all hate the US this much. It makes me sad :(

I tried finding a "biting my tongue" smiley, but couldn't. Funny how you accuse "us" of "bashing the entire US", and then make equally global statements about Canadians. I don't know what circumstances your fiance is coming to the US, since it's obvious you're the US citizen, but maybe you need to spend some more time thinking about what struggles your Canadian fiance is going to encounter coming to the US and be sad that he's going to leave his country, and think of ways to ensure he has a good experience. If you read a lot of posts here, the ONLY reason we're here is because our spouse couldn't make the move to Canada. (at least not yet)

Carla (F)

You've obviously misinterpreted my posts. I didn't make any global statements about Canadians. The reason for my original post and "worry" was that

I have a future relative who openly dislikes America and Americans and makes alot of the same remarks that I've been reading in this Canada section (not really just in this ketchup thread). I wanted to know more about where these feelings were coming from and why all the negativity basically so I could possibly understand where he's coming from. Like I originally said it DID cross my mind that it was just a matter of being homesick (for those on this board, not him of course) and missing the familiarities you are used to. Some of the things about the differences are just funny so I was amused, but I read too much and it got to the point where some of it was actually offensive. It seemed that some people are just disgusted with everything here, food people cities etc... Very unhappy here. It made me sad because like I said I would want you all to feel welcome and comfortable here in the US. I don't see what's so upsetting to you about that.

I said that I COULD go to Canada and make the same statements about things there but I DON"T because I realize that it's a huge country that has many different flavors as the US does. That's why I find the comments about the US in general offensive. The water is going to taste different anywhere you go, city to city. Same as in Canada. The brands you encounter are going to vary from store to store, city to city, state to state etc...

This comment from you above... If you read a lot of posts here, the ONLY reason we're here is because our spouse couldn't make the move to Canada. (at least not yet)...confirms my original thought that you are homesick and really don't like it here. I do feel for you. I would be homesick in Canada also. I hope you are able to move back to Canada some day. In the meantime you might find more contentment if you try to focus on the positives in stead of the negatives.

You needn't worry yourself about how I feel about my fiance coming to the US. I've put plenty of thought into making him feel welcome here and making sure he is able to remain close to his family. Thing is, he likes plenty of things about where I live over where he lives. When he goes home, he misses Starbucks and a few other things that aren't in the area where he lives. Which is another reason I was curious as to why I was seeing so many negative attitudes from other Canadians. (I never said ALL Canadians.) He has an open mind and is looking forward to the change. We love each other so much that the only thing that matters to either of us is that we're together. Everything else is trivial.

3/5/11 sent LOC paperwork

3/9/11 date of NOA

?/?/?? biometrics appointment

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

awww. group hug time!!!! lol

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Actually I sat on this topic for days, just didn't respond...then I felt I had to. Actually it's a GOOD thing I did! I'm firmly convinced now, that I shouldn't, and won't anymore, post in a forum that is not specifically related to immigration and this process. At least as much as I can assist! I moved from the OT because of the comments there, to posting usually just in the Canada forum. Now, I'm just going to limit myself to specific immigration questions throughout the site. Just one step away from leaving altogether me thinks...oh well, I won't be the first, and definitely not the last.

Carla (F)

Anyone wish to take over my coffee job in the mornings?

carlahmsb4.gif

Timeline

didnt work!! probably for the best,lol

Edited by flames9

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

Can't let 1 person bother ya Carla. Sad, now a days 1 can't can't state their opinion and not have someone take things the wrong way!! State they are offended or its racism, blah blah blah!! Lot of canucks are happy in the usa, a lot are not, and not everyone is a fan of Canada!! I think it more depends where u live!! I would much prefer to be residing in a much smaller community, doesn't have to be Canada (but preferable,lol) Were actually hoping to move to South America for a few years once Im completed my RN program and gain some experience!!

Filed: Timeline
Can't let 1 person bother ya Carla. Sad, now a days 1 can't can't state their opinion and not have someone take things the wrong way!! State they are offended or its racism, blah blah blah!! Lot of canucks are happy in the usa, a lot are not, and not everyone is a fan of Canada!! I think it more depends where u live!! I would much prefer to be residing in a much smaller community, doesn't have to be Canada (but preferable,lol) Were actually hoping to move to South America for a few years once Im completed my RN program and gain some experience!!

South America? Wow. Now that one took me by surprise. Any place in particular?

Me.... I'm quite happy where I am. I just want the stores to carry all my products and all my family and friends to move down here. Then I would be perfectly happy. :D

iagree.gif

Filed: Other Timeline

see, one thing that bi-cultural couples (and yes, that includes Can/Am couples) don't always realize is that visiting the other half's country/state/county/town is entirely different than living there. Not to mention the "normal" adjustments having to do with married life and sharing one's home with someone. Only half of the equation has to get used to the new country/state/county/town, while the other half will wonder what the heck is the big deal about the frikken ketchup anyway.

No matter how often or for how long you get to visit each other, living together is completely different. Everything from labour laws, to income and property taxes, to health care, to movie ratings to yes, the difference of the Cheez Whiz, will in all likelihood come up in conversation at some point or other, and may or may not cause frustrations and arguments on both parts.

the same could be said if a couple who are both American but one is from Washington and the other is from Florida get together and decide for whatever reason to live in Florida. Completely different cultures, different weather, different people, and different foods. Perhaps one is better than the other, perhaps not. But to the person from Washington, EVERYTHING in Florida is just going to be weird and feel like it doesn't fit right for a good long while. Some people adjust better than others, the other half of the couple who only has half the adjustment to make is a few steps ahead, and needs to keep that in mind. Especially when their other half is looking for a favourite comfort food that can't be found anywhere in the entire state (gods...I could kill for some fish & chips sometimes!). And they also should keep in mind that even though it sounds like their other half is whinging, or complaining or criticizing, or denegrating or or or...its all part of the adjusment, and how you handle it and try to find alternatives or compromises will make the adjusment more or less difficult.

It takes two, and the one who does the moving has had/will have the greater burden to bear IMO. Once they're there and the boxes are unpacked its not nearly over, its only just beginning. Whether or not they like the ketchup.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Timeline

South America? Wow. Now that one took me by surprise. Any place in particular?

Me.... I'm quite happy where I am. I just want the stores to carry all my products and all my family and friends to move down here. Then I would be perfectly happy. :D

Wife is American, but born in Chile! Her parents were working they when she was spawned!! I'm open to going anywhere for a few yrs. Much cheaper to reside their (especially when ur not having to pay for accommodations,lol)

I'm actually open to going anywhere for a few years. I traveled a fair bit with the Cdn Forces and enjoyed it.

Ya was good that my smiley face thingy didn't work! He was giving the 1 finger salute,lol

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
Actually I sat on this topic for days, just didn't respond...then I felt I had to. Actually it's a GOOD thing I did! I'm firmly convinced now, that I shouldn't, and won't anymore, post in a forum that is not specifically related to immigration and this process. At least as much as I can assist! I moved from the OT because of the comments there, to posting usually just in the Canada forum. Now, I'm just going to limit myself to specific immigration questions throughout the site. Just one step away from leaving altogether me thinks...oh well, I won't be the first, and definitely not the last.

Carla (F)

Anyone wish to take over my coffee job in the mornings?

Don't leave Carla, this is your forum. I'm leaving. Sorry for trying to understand the point of view here, and obviously upsetting you. Didn't intend to.

3/5/11 sent LOC paperwork

3/9/11 date of NOA

?/?/?? biometrics appointment

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.