sereia

do you speak arabic?

52 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

No, I don't speak Arabic. But I do know numbers and money! :lol: And I could probably get to my in-law's apartment in a taxi from the airport now. But that's about it.

Divorced. To hell with him.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline
are you fluent in Arabic, WOM?

Not quite yet but I'm workin on it ! I can handle basic conversation -- get directions, negotiate for taxis or hotels, bargain over purchases, of course exchange pleasantries, etc. But I am far from being ready to discuss nuclear physics...

I started learning by ear and with transliterated words using the Roman alphabet. I didn't really start learning to read and write Arabic letters until about 2 years ago. I have used some language tapes which were very useful, but most of what I know -- I picked it up just by listening and by asking manyyyyy questions.

Language is so fascinating to me.... I've always been interested in it.

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

Too bad what happened to a once thriving VJ but hardly a surprise

al Nakba 1948-2015
66 years of forced exile and dispossession

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

me too. but i've never attemped a language other than a romance language. (well i did take one semester of mandarin! hehe) i'm fascinated and sooo excited at the thought of being able to hold a conversation. i also want us to teach our children together someday. i ask my husband lots of questions and now he's beginning to write things down for me to speed things up. usually i ask a question but i have to hear it repeated a few times before i remember it. i want to study them on cards and maybe i can sink things in at a faster rate. i definitely should pick up some tapes also! do you recommend anything in particular?

Edited by sereia

"It's far better to be alone than wish you were." - Ann Landers

world-map.jpg

Timeline
But I am far from being ready to discuss nuclear physics...

Can you discuss nuclear physics in English? :unsure::P

Of course. Can't you ?

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

al Nakba 1948-2015

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Of course. Can't you ?

Well, um, yeah, of course. I just didn't think that *you* could.

:lol:

Timeline

Of course. Can't you ?

Dayum seems we're both a lot smarter than we look :P

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

al Nakba 1948-2015

Timeline

Of course. Can't you ?

Dayum seems we're both a lot smarter than we look :P

I PM'd you regarding gamma decay and fission. No need to make everyone else feel inferior...

Anyway, :ot2:

My Arabic is between very poor and non-existent. I'm embarrassed actually. Something on my to-do list. I'm the kind of person who has to study it, I won't pick it up just by listening.

Timeline
My Arabic is between very poor and non-existent. I'm embarrassed actually. Something on my to-do list. I'm the kind of person who has to study it, I won't pick it up just by listening.

Keep trying -- you'll get the hang of it :thumbs:

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

al Nakba 1948-2015

Timeline

That's the thing, I can't really "keep trying", since I haven't been trying in the first place. :blush: We're planning a big trip back to Morocco in about a year, so I better get my a$$ in gear, since my French just doesn't cut it either.

Timeline

Where did Wahrania go ???? She left me hangin here :crying:

I will not rest until I learn what is this bakhta and ton ton.... :P

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

al Nakba 1948-2015

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

That's the thing, I can't really "keep trying", since I haven't been trying in the first place. :blush: We're planning a big trip back to Morocco in about a year, so I better get my a$$ in gear, since my French just doesn't cut it either.

Me too! I really want to speak to my husbands family and start planning our Moroccan wedding next time we go. So I have about a year to pick up on Darija...quick!!!! :wacko:

"It's far better to be alone than wish you were." - Ann Landers

world-map.jpg

Timeline

I don't know anything about Darija, but it seems there are not language tapes/CDs available for this dialect. But I see a lot of websites that say they can help you learn. Anyone ever try them ?

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

al Nakba 1948-2015

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.