26 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

OH MY!!...coming from a relationship that was very controlling and eventually abusive, your post deeply concerns me. My initial reaction is to tell you RUN FAST, VERY FAST!

Abusive relationships are usually about a control issue and his lack of confidence in your ability to function "on your own", raises a red flag with me. As opposed to the other opinions in this thread, I would tell you to totally trust your gut feeling. You are not obligated to this man in any way and it has to be said that these type of men have a way of using conversation to turn the tables in their favour. I agree you should talk to him about how you feel, but you should also seek independant professional councelling, as we don't always see........"the nose despite your face". I am sorry if this isn't what you want to hear, but take it from me, you DO NOT want to do this for the next 20 years, then realize you may have a problem.

I, like you , have moved from Canada and met my current spouse "on-line". We have had our moments of "adjustment" and have felt the effects of a long distance relationship, but, I have never encountered any negative attitude from him, nor any issues of a controlling kind of nature.

We invest alot by getting involved with someone so far away, but, in the end, if the problems seem way bigger than what you are willing to accept, it may be better to cut your losses than stuggle for the next ?? amount of years trying to make a go of something that is broken to begin with.

Feel free to PM me if you need someone to talk to, I am pretty understanding on stuff like this.

I hope all works out.

Ps. Hubby read this thread and suggested I respond.....food for thought.

Good luck hon

Hugs :luv:

Hugs to ya

Oct 2005 visa received

Dec 24, 2005 Married in Vegas

Jan 29, 2006 sent AOS

April 19, 2006 AP approved...finally

Aug 30, 2006 AOS interview....approved

Sept 06...Received Green card

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I'm not saying you should cut and run... and I'm CERTAINLY not suggesting that you should sit back and let yourself be controlled. What does your gut say about this? Is he just insecure and uncertain and trying to protect you? Or is he a neurotic paranoid control-freak? You need to sit down and talk about this calmly and rationally with him and tell him how you feel and why you feel that way... and THEN cut and run if that's what your gut tells you to do. There's a difference between getting out of an abusive situation, and running away because life seems too hard.

Karen - Melbourne, Australia/John - Florida, USA

- Proposal (20 August 2000) to marriage (19 December 2004) - 4 years, 3 months, 25 days (1,578 days)

STAGE 1 - Applying for K1 (15 September 2003) to K1 Approval (13 July 2004) - 9 months, 29 days (303 days)

STAGE 2A - Arriving in US (4 Nov 2004) to AOS Application (16 April 2005) - 5 months, 13 days (164 days)

STAGE 2B - Applying for AOS to GC Approval - 9 months, 4 days (279 days)

STAGE 3 - Lifting Conditions. Filing (19 Dec 2007) to Approval (December 11 2008)

STAGE 4 - CITIZENSHIP (filing under 5-year rule - residency start date on green card Jan 11th, 2006)

*N400 filed December 15, 2011

*Interview March 12, 2012

*Oath Ceremony March 23, 2012.

ALL DONE!!!!!!!!

Filed: Other Country: England
Timeline
Adjustment period or NOT, this is unacceptable behaviour!!!!! I would be gone back to Canada so fast, his head would spin.

It isn't going to get better before it gets much much worse. You don't deserve to be treated that way, and by putting up with it, you are only condoning his bad behavior. Talk to him and demand that he change the way he is treating you, or else you are returning to Canada.

I can't even imagine being treated the way you describe...... I think the USC should be very patient, respectful, caring and loving when their SO arrives from their foreign country. It's hard enough to move away from home, without being treated badly when you arrive in the arms of the person who is supposed to love you more than anyone else.

Good luck.

Sorry to insert here as I'm not really referring to the OP in this situation..I think you def. SHOULD make him aware of your needs, and some changes should be made immediately. You don't deserve all that. What I do take issue with is the last paragraph of the above post. Yes, the USC should be all of those things. IN ADDITION the USC should be entitled to somewhat of the same person they knew before the non USC moved to the country. Emotions running high are understandable, but the 'arms of the person who are supposed to love you more than anyone else' go both ways too. Again, not directed to the OP, but just making a point. Sometimes, too, no matter how much the USC tries it's just not enough..and I know...from my particular situation..that the USC needs to feel that unconditional love,etc as well in order to be able to support the non USC in everything they are going to be feeling. It is an absolute must that the one moving also be prepared for some of the feelings that will occur when that happens...it likely won't make the feelings any easier but it's very easy to treat someone badly possibly without even knowing it when you are in a lot of pain yourself. and THAT can go both ways. M.

ManU2.jpg

10 year green card received

mid March, 2008. Done 'til Naturalization! WOOT! :)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I recommend going somewhere public but quiet. That way both of you have to be civil. Sit him down and have a talk. When I first came down to the usa, my hubby didn't even want me to go to the library alone! Didn't like the friends I made (bc i made them on my own and they weren't his friends initially). So you just need to tell him, get everything off your chest. There have been a few times during the first 2 years where I packed up my suitcase and started to leave. You don't want to get to that point.

Barbara (Canada) & Dallas (USC)

AOS

Nov 13 2005 EAD & I-485 sent to Chicago Lockbox

Nov 22, 2005 EAD & I-485 NOA1

Dec 15, 2005 Biometrics for EAD & I-485

Dec 19, 2005 EAD & I-485 Touched

Jan 21, 2006 Rec'd I-485 Fingerprint Reschedule Notice (AHHH!!!)

Feb 10, 2006 Fingerprint App't

Feb 1, 2006 EAD Approved!!!!

Feb 11, 2006 Rec'd EAD card

Feb 13, 2006 Applied for SSN

Feb 17, 2006 Rec'd SSN

Feb 23, 2006 I-485 Transferred to CSC (AHHH!!)

Mar 02, 2006 I-485 Has been received at CSC

Mar 13, 2006 I-485 Touched

Mar 14, 2006 I-485 Touched

Apr 15 & 25 2006 emailed CSC for status inquiry on I-485

Apr 26 2006 received a response from CSC, another response in 60 days (ahhhhh!!!)

Apr 27, 2006 I-485 Touched

Jun 17, 2006 I-485 Touched

Jun 19, 2006 I-485 Touched

Jun 20, 2006 I-485 Touched

July 3, 2006 emailed CSC again, no response given in the allotted 60 days time frame.

July 27, 2006 received a response from CSC, another response will be given in 30 days.. ha ha ha.

***app sent back to Missouri ***app sent to Chicago

Aug 21 2006 touched

Sept 29 2006 3rd year Anniversay

October 13, 2006 Immigration Interview - Need to return with Long Form Birth Certificate

October 13, 2006 Long Form Birth Cert ordered with expediated shipping

October 18, 2006 Birth Cert Received

October 19, 2006 2nd Immigration Interview - APPROVED

5-20 business days for the Green Card to arrive, maybe I'll be back to see my family before Christmas?

I am so sorry you feel this way.

It is hard enough to move away from home not having any friends wherever we move and you husband being not exactly supportive.

I agree... I would not go home quite yet.

I agree again you have to talk. You have to show him how this makes you feel. If you dont it will keep building up and that is no good. You need to talk about it.

I can only imagine how hard it is for you. I wanted to go home so many times and if I would not have my husband on my side at all time supporting me I dont know what I would do....

Talk talk and talk some more....

I hope you can sort it out ...

Best of Luck... hold up...

Luc

Jan-09-2005 ~ Filled I-485 together with EAD and AP (sent to Chicago)

Jan-12-2005 ~ NOA (I-485 and EAD Biometrics notice received)

Feb-02-2005 ~ AP Email: APPROVED

Feb-07-2005 ~ AP came in mail, 26days (since Jan12 NOA)

Feb-26-2005 ~ I-485 and EAD Biometrics in New York, NY

Mar-02-2005 ~ I-485 Notice: "Your Fingerprints results received…" 48days

Mar-02-2005 ~ EAD Email: APPROVED

Mar-05-2005 ~ EAD in mail: The card starts on Feb 05, Nice...

Mar-07-2005 ~ Interview Notice for October 6th 2005 in Garden City, NY

Oct-06-2005 ~ Interview: Background checks not completed

Jan-09-2006 ~ What a coincident ;) E-filled For EAD and AP renewal

Jan-25-2006 ~ right index finger fingerprinted and photo taken

Sept-15-2006 ~ AP renewal approved 247 days

Sept-21-2006 ~ EAD renewal approved 253 days

Sept-30-2006 ~ 2nd Biometrics appointment

June-18-2007 ~ E-filed yet another Work Permit and AP renewal :(

After 2 years, 6 moths and one day I have received this email:

Application Type: I485 , APPLICATION TO REGISTER PERMANENT RESIDENCE OR TO ADJUST STATUS

Current Status: Notice mailed welcoming the new permanent resident.

Thank you very much about the time

I'm really sorry that you're feeling this way. Other posters are right, this is a hard time. I've had some similar experience with my USC husband. He did not help at all with the immigration forms and I just couldn't understand why he wasn't helping me get them filed on time. I really was starting to think that he didnt really want me here. Turns out that it wasn't that at all. He just couldn't get his head around it all, what needed to be done and why. His response to that was to sulk and put it off. Mine was the opposite.....to educate myself about it, and finding this site really helped (though it would have helped more if I had found it before I turned all the forms in). There were many times though that I had a good cry over the phone to my Mum and with some friends I made here. In the end I bore most of the responsibility for the paperwork and collecting evidence that was needed. Everything is much better now the paperwork is all turned in, like a weight off for both of us. The immigration process is very stressful and people respond in different ways to stress. Hey, my hubby has lost 20lbs and I've gained 20lbs since we started all this!! How is that fair?! :wacko:

I would talk to him about you going out alone though. When I first came here a year ago I was the one reluctant to go anywhere alone, concerned about driving on the other side of the road, not knowing anyone or how to get anywhere. Now I go out by myself whenever I want. Just grab the keys and say "I'm running up to the store, you want anything." Hubby thinks this is great, he doesnt have to come groccery shopping anymore!! :yes: I found getting out the house, particularly by myself and starting to get to know people to be a real blessing. If you're always at home, just the two of you it can be rather intense. You probably both need a break.

Being homesick is awful, I still get very homesick at times, moving to another country where you dont know anyone could be the hardest thing you'll ever have to do. Christmas was especially for me hard, but my parents were able to fly into Chicago for a few days afterwards so I got to see them, which also helped. It takes some people longer than others to adjust I guess. My godmother (who is also English) moved to America some 30 years ago and married a USC. We all met up in Chicago after Christmas and she told me that it took her years to get over the homesickness. It does get better though, give some time yet.

Hang in there and take care of yourself.

Kate

P.S. My husband is appalling at housework too, some of that is just a guy thing. Like he seems oblivious to the fact that the bedsheets need changed fairly regularly. "We just did that" he says. Men...honestly!!!! We have found compromises though. I do the cooking, so he has to wash up. Also he does the laundry because the washer and dryer are in the basement and I find it creepy down there!! :yes:

AOS TIMELINE

16th December 2005 - Sent I-130, AOS, EAD & AP USPS overnight to Chicago Lockbox

18th December 2005 - Received at Chicago 9.18pm.

23rd December 2005 - NOAs for I-130, AOS, EAD, AP!! Didn't expect them that quickly

13th January 2006 - RFE for Medical and additional I-864 info

17th January 2006 - INFOPASS Apt about RFE.

23rd January 2006 - Appointment notice for Biometrics on 10th Feb.

10th February 2006 - Biometrics Appointment

21st February 2006 - Medical. Cost $250 including all blood tests, Td Shot, TB test and Titers for MMR and Varicella.

27th February 2006 - Appointment with immigration lawyer re. RFE for I-864.

1st March 2006 - Final results Medical. Papers in hand to send.

10th March 2006 - RFE responses to Lees Summit

13th March 2006 - RFE responses signed for at Lees Summit

24th March 2006 - Emergency AP approved in Omaha

28th March 2006- Collected AP

31st March 2006 - EAD Approval online

7th April 2006 - EAD arrived in mailbox.

21st April 2006- Received Interview Date for 22nd June

9th May 2006- Received SSN

22nd June 2006- AOS INTERVIEW APPROVED

REMOVING CONDITIONS

June 20 2008 - Package mailed to CSC under new rules. Would have been an NSC transfer

June 23 2008 - Package recieved at CSC

June 27 2008 - Recieve NOA1

July 16 2008 - Biometrics

July 17 2008 - Touched

September 9 2008 - Card production ordered

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Talk to each other...then talk some more...and then talk a little more...and continue talking throughout your married life. That's the key I think. If you leave things unsaid, they become larger than life and will cause a lot of hurt.

Talk to each other and find out what's going on in each other's head and heart (F)

03.04.2009......Posted I-130 to U.S. Embassy

03.04.2009......Ordered Police Certificate for Visa Purposes from Local Garda Office (ordered over the phone)

03.05.2009......I-130 received at Embassy

03.06.2009......Received Police Cert

03.18.2009......I-130 Approved

09.10.2009......Medical Exam

09.23.2009......Embassy receives Notice of Readiness

10.13.2009......Received our interview date

10.29.2009......Successful interview!

11.5.2009........Visa received in post

11.7.2009........All the family flew to the US together :)

12.20.2009......Received Welcome to America letter

12.24.2009......10 year Greencard received in the mail

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Didn't like the friends I made (bc i made them on my own and they weren't his friends initially).

Yeah, he's very nervous about me making friends on my own, but he doesn't have that many friends here as it is because he recently moved back home to CT after many years away in Iowa. I'm a very social person, I love getting together with people, having parties, etc. A lot of his friends seem very childish and always insist on leaving for home way early. He and I talked about it and we know that while I do want to make some friends on my own, we need to make 'couple' friends together.

I'm really sorry that you're feeling this way. Other posters are right, this is a hard time. I've had some similar experience with my USC husband. He did not help at all with the immigration forms and I just couldn't understand why he wasn't helping me get them filed on time. I really was starting to think that he didnt really want me here. Turns out that it wasn't that at all. He just couldn't get his head around it all, what needed to be done and why. His response to that was to sulk and put it off. Mine was the opposite.....to educate myself about it, and finding this site really helped (though it would have helped more if I had found it before I turned all the forms in). There were many times though that I had a good cry over the phone to my Mum and with some friends I made here. In the end I bore most of the responsibility for the paperwork and collecting evidence that was needed. Everything is much better now the paperwork is all turned in, like a weight off for both of us. The immigration process is very stressful and people respond in different ways to stress. Hey, my hubby has lost 20lbs and I've gained 20lbs since we started all this!! How is that fair?! :wacko:

I would talk to him about you going out alone though. When I first came here a year ago I was the one reluctant to go anywhere alone, concerned about driving on the other side of the road, not knowing anyone or how to get anywhere. Now I go out by myself whenever I want. Just grab the keys and say "I'm running up to the store, you want anything." Hubby thinks this is great, he doesnt have to come groccery shopping anymore!! :yes: I found getting out the house, particularly by myself and starting to get to know people to be a real blessing. If you're always at home, just the two of you it can be rather intense. You probably both need a break.

Being homesick is awful, I still get very homesick at times, moving to another country where you dont know anyone could be the hardest thing you'll ever have to do. Christmas was especially for me hard, but my parents were able to fly into Chicago for a few days afterwards so I got to see them, which also helped. It takes some people longer than others to adjust I guess. My godmother (who is also English) moved to America some 30 years ago and married a USC. We all met up in Chicago after Christmas and she told me that it took her years to get over the homesickness. It does get better though, give some time yet.

Hang in there and take care of yourself.

Kate

P.S. My husband is appalling at housework too, some of that is just a guy thing. Like he seems oblivious to the fact that the bedsheets need changed fairly regularly. "We just did that" he says. Men...honestly!!!! We have found compromises though. I do the cooking, so he has to wash up. Also he does the laundry because the washer and dryer are in the basement and I find it creepy down there!! :yes:

You totally hit the nail on the head with everything you said. He had a really hard time wrapping his head around all of the paperwork and it kind of just .... stunned him and he didn't even know where to start. The weight thing, too!!! :lol:

He's been a LOT better about me going out alone. What prompted me to post about that in the first place was because I was frustrated with him and he told me that I wasn't allowed to drive the car while upset. He had a valid point, he was worried about me getting in to an accident and being sent back to Canada as a result. Now, he just doesn't like it when he asks if I want to come with him and I say I'd rather stay in. He likes my company, is all!

My aunt (and godmother as well!) was an expat to Japan and now in Boston. She's been a big help to me with homesickness and the like. She still misses home and family, even after 15 years away from Canada.

Men and housework .... GAH! :)

Oh and one last comment to the person who said that he was being abusive and controlling ... FAR FROM IT!!!! I was in an abusive and controlling marriage 5 years ago so I know the signs. The post was just made out of frustration and PMS and I over-exagerated a little bit. Thank you for the concern, though. :D Chris and I have had good conversations and we're both on the same page now. We still have the occasional disagreement, but what married couple doesn't? :wacko:

I-129F Sent : 2005-07-15

Really pleased that things are looking up for you. Keep going, eventually everything will work out. That's what I tell myself anyway, when this process seems so long and hard. I'm looking forward to getting my EAD, really am. It is hard for me just to sit around the house not really doing anything, and of course the extra money will help.

Remember you've always got people here on VJ who understand the kind of thing you're going through.

Take care

Kate

AOS TIMELINE

16th December 2005 - Sent I-130, AOS, EAD & AP USPS overnight to Chicago Lockbox

18th December 2005 - Received at Chicago 9.18pm.

23rd December 2005 - NOAs for I-130, AOS, EAD, AP!! Didn't expect them that quickly

13th January 2006 - RFE for Medical and additional I-864 info

17th January 2006 - INFOPASS Apt about RFE.

23rd January 2006 - Appointment notice for Biometrics on 10th Feb.

10th February 2006 - Biometrics Appointment

21st February 2006 - Medical. Cost $250 including all blood tests, Td Shot, TB test and Titers for MMR and Varicella.

27th February 2006 - Appointment with immigration lawyer re. RFE for I-864.

1st March 2006 - Final results Medical. Papers in hand to send.

10th March 2006 - RFE responses to Lees Summit

13th March 2006 - RFE responses signed for at Lees Summit

24th March 2006 - Emergency AP approved in Omaha

28th March 2006- Collected AP

31st March 2006 - EAD Approval online

7th April 2006 - EAD arrived in mailbox.

21st April 2006- Received Interview Date for 22nd June

9th May 2006- Received SSN

22nd June 2006- AOS INTERVIEW APPROVED

REMOVING CONDITIONS

June 20 2008 - Package mailed to CSC under new rules. Would have been an NSC transfer

June 23 2008 - Package recieved at CSC

June 27 2008 - Recieve NOA1

July 16 2008 - Biometrics

July 17 2008 - Touched

September 9 2008 - Card production ordered

excellent news Shannon :thumbs: but I still hope he gets off the 'forbid thing' :D

Care and concern for your well being is great and maybe, now you've said more, its from a fear of losing you in some weird accident and not the control thing people feared.

Hopefully the pair of you will be able to look back on all this one day and laugh

Applied for K1

Met online 2001 - just aquaintances

Sept 2002 - 1st US visit - everything goes perfectly.

Dec 20th - Forms recev'd at CSC

Dec 27th - NOA1 received by snail mail!

Dec 29th - 'Touched'

March 10 2006 - NOA2!

March 23 - recv'd at NVC

March 24 - petition sent to London

April 9th - Pkt 3 rec'd!

May 17th - Pkt 3 signed for at London Embassy

May 24th - Medical

May24th - Pkt 4

June 14th - Interview 10am - APPROVED 1pm!!

June 16th - Visas received in my hot little hands 1pm :)

July 19th - flying to US!

July 27th - Married!! :-)

Aug 7th - Applied for SSN in married name

Aug 9th - SSN received

uk.gif1273.gifusa.gif

3dflagsdotcom_uk_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif

I'm not a lawyer I just have opinions on everything :)

animated flags from http://3dflags.com

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.