His Glory

How do you buy airline tickets for spouse?

32 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

We were planning on buying plane tickets for us to come back together so that would mean I would by 1 roundtrip and 1 one-way. But if they delay visa I am thinking it would be best to buy tickets that were refundable or that can be changed, although I hear that is expensive. I have only flown once in my life and that was my trip to Ghana. So Im not experienced in this. How should I go about doing it? Also, how do I make sure my husband and I are on the same flight back if mine is round trip and his is oneway? And worst case senerio there is a problem at interview. Im going nuts. I guess as we draw closer Im getting more nervous. To get him a ticket will the airlines request his visa confirmation before they sell to us? I just dont want any last minute "Doh!s"

03/09/2013: Married

09/10/2013: Sent I-130

09/12/2013: Case Received.

03/04/2014: Petition transferred to Nebraska Service Center.

03/25/2014: I-130 Petition approved

03/28/2014: Petition sent to NVC

04/09/2014: NVC received case

05/08/2014: NVC assigned case number

05/16/2014: Paid AOS fee

10/02/2014: Case Closed

10/10/2014: Interview Date Scheduled

11/17/2014: Interview - APPROVED!!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hola,

Whew. I can see you have many thoughts circling through your head right now. Breath....... :innocent: Although I am sure you will receive many variations to the advice, I would ask a few questions first. When is the interview scheduled in relation to your return ticket? Each embassy is different as far as how fast they process their visas after a successful interview so maybe someone who went through your embassy can answer that one.

The airline tickets are usually cheaper if you purchase round-trip tickets as opposed to one way. Also don't forget to accumulate your frequent flyer miles! You may want to leave extra room on the back end of your trip in case they ask for additional information or there are any glitches during the interview. This will give you flexibility in your purchase. If you purchase a full fare ticket, you may have flexibility in making changes to it. In my experience, tickets were cheaper when purchased over in Africa than from the US. But again, this may differ from agency to agency and time of year one is flying. The last thing is that depending on the type of ticket you buy for your SO, it may not be transferable. I have heard of travel agencies that only deal in cash and others which hold the reservations for only 24 hours. Again, I am sure you'll receive much help in this area and whichever way you choose, may you both have a speedy interview and joint flight back.

Chispas

The longer it takes to introduce yourself the less you've actually accomplished

Timeline
Hola,

Whew. I can see you have many thoughts circling through your head right now. Breath....... :innocent: Although I am sure you will receive many variations to the advice, I would ask a few questions first. When is the interview scheduled in relation to your return ticket? Each embassy is different as far as how fast they process their visas after a successful interview so maybe someone who went through your embassy can answer that one.

The airline tickets are usually cheaper if you purchase round-trip tickets as opposed to one way. Also don't forget to accumulate your frequent flyer miles! You may want to leave extra room on the back end of your trip in case they ask for additional information or there are any glitches during the interview. This will give you flexibility in your purchase. If you purchase a full fare ticket, you may have flexibility in making changes to it. In my experience, tickets were cheaper when purchased over in Africa than from the US. But again, this may differ from agency to agency and time of year one is flying. The last thing is that depending on the type of ticket you buy for your SO, it may not be transferable. I have heard of travel agencies that only deal in cash and others which hold the reservations for only 24 hours. Again, I am sure you'll receive much help in this area and whichever way you choose, may you both have a speedy interview and joint flight back.

Chispas

Hey thanks :) Where would we buy tickets in africa? Can you buy delta tickets there?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Syria
Timeline

do they still have refundables? after being ripped off once i always ask and the travel agent says most of them are not refundable anymore. i hate that...things come up and sometimes u just cant make it when u wanted.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Personally I would only purchase the tickets from a US Airline. This is said after my horrific experience with South African Air. I also found that the refundable tickets were not much more. They are so expensive anyway. I last flew in June 2007.

K-1 Visa Journey

03/10/2007 - Sent I-129F to NSC

06/05/2007 - Approved

06/25/2007 - NVC Case Number received

07/05/2007 - Fiance received Packets 3 and 4

09/06/2007 - INTERVIEW----- APPROVED

09/13/2007 - VISA IN HAND

09/14/2007 - POE AT JFK

10/26/2007 - Wedding

01/17/2008 - Email from CRIS that I-129 was approved!

AOS Journey

10/28/2007 - AOS mailed to Chicago via Federal Express

10/29/2007 - AOS received at Chicago

11/05/2007 - NOA for I-131, I-485, I-765

12/28/2007 - Biometrics

12/29/2007 - Case appeared on USCIS website

12/31/2007 - EAD Card Production Ordered; AP Approved

01/10/2008 - AP Received in mail

01/12/2008 - EAD Card Recieved in mail

07/24/2008 - AOS Interview

07/30/2008 -Card Production Ordered

08/11/2008 - GREEN CARD RECIEVED

04/30/2010 - ROC mailed to CA via USPS Express Mail

08/10/2010 - EAD Card Production Ordered; AOS Approved

04/24/2011 - Mailed N-400

05/12/2011 - Received I-797C

06/08/2011 - Biometrics

07/25/2011 - N-400 Interview

07/25/2011 - Oath Ceremony

MY HUSBAND IS A US CITIZEN!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

I don't know what airline you are planning to use.

If you are going to go by North American Airlines (www.flynaa.com), all their one way tickets are refundable. If you are going to buy the roundtrip ticket, you can select which legs you want to be refundable and the added fare depends on which fare you want to be refundable (more expensive if the return to JFK is the refundable portion). For NAA you may want to check with the local office in Accra to see if your husband can buy the ticket there since it would probably be cheaper than you buying it online from the US. To change the nonrefundable ticket with NAA is I think $150.

Here is their contact information:

North American Airlines

4 Motorway Extension,

Yekema Square

PMB 369 Cantonments,

Accra Ghana

Phone:

+ 233-21-911- 086

+ 233-21-911- 087

+ 233-024-377- 6907

+ 233-024-377- 6917

Email: ghanaoffice@flynaa.com

Delta's prices are way more than NAA and for Delta's roundtrip tickets the whole ticket has to be refundable so it makes it more expensive. They do have an office in Accra:

Aviation Alliance Ltd.

4th Floor, Silver Star Tower

Airport City, Accra

Private Mail Bag 37 Kanda

Accra, Ghana

Telephone: 233-21-213-111

Fax: 233-21-213-121

Mon–Fri: 8:30am–5pm

Sat.: 9am–12n

Also, with Delta, you cannot buy a one-way ticket from Accra to JFK online.

I've never bought a ticket in Ghana so I am not sure if they ask to see the visa. That is a question you can call and ask them.

As long as both of you book your tickets on the same flight you should fly together. You may not be seated together but you can always switch with people when you are on the plane.

I hope this helps.

Zee

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

I fly 300,000 plus miles a year.

Make the resevations on the U.S. airline.

Buy round trip tickets, they are usually less for round trip than one way, example round trip to Brazil $1,070, one way $1,800

If you do not use the return ticket throw it away and still save.

Timeline
I fly 300,000 plus miles a year.

Make the resevations on the U.S. airline.

Buy round trip tickets, they are usually less for round trip than one way, example round trip to Brazil $1,070, one way $1,800

If you do not use the return ticket throw it away and still save.

That is true :thumbs:

Check with the airlines and see.

Click for full timeline

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

They will sell you the ticket even if you tell them that you DON'T have a visa. It's your responsibility to acquire a visa so they will take your money even if you tell them you don't have the paperwork to get into the country legally. They will not let you on the airplane if you can't show them a visa and then you're just screwed if you have a ticket and no visa. Not their problem.

GHANA.GIFBassi and Zainab US1.GIF

I-129F Sent: 6-18-2007

Interview date: 6-24-2008

Pick up Visa: 6-27-2008

Arrive JFK POE: 7-2-2008

Marriage: 7-9-2008

AOS

mailed AOS, EAD, AP: 8-22-2008

NOA AOS, EAD, AP: 8-27-2008

Biometrics: 9-18-2008

AOS Transferred to CSC: 9-25-2008

Requested EAD Expedite: 11-12-2008

EAD Card production ordered: 11-12-2008 changed to 11/17/2008 Why? (I hope it doesn't change every week!)

Received AP: 11/17/2008

Received EAD: 11/22/08 (Praise God!!)

AOS RFE: 1/29/2009

AOS Approved: 3/24/2009

Called USCIS 4/1/2009 told no status change and case not yet reviewed from RFE request.

Received green card: 4/3/2009

Timeline
They will sell you the ticket even if you tell them that you DON'T have a visa. It's your responsibility to acquire a visa so they will take your money even if you tell them you don't have the paperwork to get into the country legally. They will not let you on the airplane if you can't show them a visa and then you're just screwed if you have a ticket and no visa. Not their problem.

I think it depends on the airline because I know that when we had to reconfirm our flights the airline office did ask to see the visa. But this was for an African airline though, and we were not coming to the US.

Click for full timeline

Timeline

I think it depends on the airline because I know that when we had to reconfirm our flights the airline office did ask to see the visa. But this was for an African airline though, and we were not coming to the US.

Thanks for all the information. Doesnt naa only schedule flights to ghana certain times of the month though?

Timeline

Thanks for all the information. Doesnt naa only schedule flights to ghana certain times of the month though?

They do JFK-ACC on Sundays (arriving early Monday) and ACC-JFK on Tuesdays.

Click for full timeline

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I've had the best luck with calling the airline directly. That way, you can make sure they book the seats together.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

They leave NYC every Sunday afternoon at 3 and return from Accra every Tuesday am at 2am. (really Monday night you have to get to the airport) I live in NY and have always gone through JFK so I don't know the Maryland schedule. But you can check that on the website which is flynaa.com.

GHANA.GIFBassi and Zainab US1.GIF

I-129F Sent: 6-18-2007

Interview date: 6-24-2008

Pick up Visa: 6-27-2008

Arrive JFK POE: 7-2-2008

Marriage: 7-9-2008

AOS

mailed AOS, EAD, AP: 8-22-2008

NOA AOS, EAD, AP: 8-27-2008

Biometrics: 9-18-2008

AOS Transferred to CSC: 9-25-2008

Requested EAD Expedite: 11-12-2008

EAD Card production ordered: 11-12-2008 changed to 11/17/2008 Why? (I hope it doesn't change every week!)

Received AP: 11/17/2008

Received EAD: 11/22/08 (Praise God!!)

AOS RFE: 1/29/2009

AOS Approved: 3/24/2009

Called USCIS 4/1/2009 told no status change and case not yet reviewed from RFE request.

Received green card: 4/3/2009

Filed: Timeline
Personally I would only purchase the tickets from a US Airline.

That's a pretty odd statement to make. Depends greatly where you travel, doesn't it? Besides there not being any US carriers going there, I've had fantastic travel experiences flying Ethiopian Airlines. While One can take KLM, Lufthansa or British Aiways to get there, I always flew Ethiopian and plan to do so in the future. Most certainly after they take their 787 Dreamliner's into service later next year and offer IAD to ADD non-stop.

As to OP's query, we went to Ethiopian Airlines a week prior to our scheduled departure - we did not have the visa yet - and put a ticket on hold. This was on a Friday for departure the following Friday. We got Nani's visa that next Wednesday and went and purchased the held ticket then. They were really easy about it. Not sure whether that works in other places.

Edited by Mr. Big Dog

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.