jacoman

Maiden Last Name or Married Last Name

8 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I am currently in the process of filing the I-130 for my Colombian wife. We were married here in Colombia a few months ago. I am using my last name instead of hers on the I-130 form. Does the fact that we are married (here in Colombia, not yet official in the US) give me thr right to use her last name on the form I-130?

Also in filling out the G-325a Biographical Information should I use her maiden name only, since the G-325a will be used in the future for the form I-129 (which assumes we aren't married yet?

All help appreciated

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
I am currently in the process of filing the I-130 for my Colombian wife. We were married here in Colombia a few months ago. I am using my last name instead of hers on the I-130 form. Does the fact that we are married (here in Colombia, not yet official in the US) give me thr right to use her last name on the form I-130?

Also in filling out the G-325a Biographical Information should I use her maiden name only, since the G-325a will be used in the future for the form I-129 (which assumes we aren't married yet?

All help appreciated

It's a party foul to ask the same question in the forum while also asking in a PM. Always use the current legal name.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

All help appreciated

I know these forms can be confusing, but the I-129F is a duo use form. If used by itself it is for a K1 petition (fiancee)and if used with the I-130 form it is used as a K3 petition (married). I suggest you look in the Example Forms link on the top left. Under K-3 Visa Related Forms are examples on how the I-130 and I-129f should be filled out. There are examples for the G325A also.

Have a nice journey.

Naturalization

3/23/14 - N400 package sent to Phoenix

3/27/14 - N400 package delivered

4/3/14 - NOA1 receipt date

4/4/14 - check cashed

04/29/14 - biometrics date

07/01/14 - interview date

xx/xx/xx - Oath Ceremony

All help appreciated

When I filed the forms for my husband...I used my maiden name (we got married in Mexico). I filed using my maiden name because I had not officially changed my name yet (to his last name).

We have had no problems. Both of our petitions have been approved.

4.28.07 - Married in Jalisco Mexico - Cozumel Honeymoon for 2 weeks

***I-130***

5.24.07 - I-130 Received in CSC

7.14.07 - Received NOA1 (WOW after 6 weeks, I was worried...called INS and told me CSC had a computer "glitch" causing delays on printing Receipt notices and approvals)

10.30.07 - APPROVED No email, the NOA2 came in the mail...hard copy.

***1-129F***

7.23.07 - I-129F received in Chicago

7.30.07 - Received NOA1

11.21.07 - APPROVED!!!! APPROVED. GOT AN E-MAIL ON THANKSGIVING!

03.03.08- INTERVIEW IN CIUDAD JUAREZ. VISA GRANTED ON 03.03.2008

***AOS & EAD***

3.10.08 - Case Received at Chicago Lockbox, check cashed 3.14.08

3.17.08 - Received both NOA's in the mail

3.21.08 - Received Biometrics appointment letter in the mail, biometrics Appt. 4.02.08

5.05.08 - EAD Card Production ordered GOT EMAIL (we received the same email on 5.09.08)

5.13.08 - Approval Email for EAD (so the card was ordered first, and then we were approved...hum)

5.15.08 - EAD Card Received in mail.

8.08.08 - WE GOT OUR INTERVIEW APPOINTMENT YAY...9/12/08 - INTERVIEW APPROVED

9.24.08 - Received Green Card in the mail YEAH!

***I-751***

6.15.10 - Mailed I-751 Docs to CSC, check cashed 6.24.10

6.26.10 - Received NOA in mail dated 6.21.10

6.29.10 - Received Biometrics appointment for 7.15.10

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Assuming it is official in Columbia, what makes you believe that the marriage is not yet official in the US?

YMMV

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Assuming it is official in Columbia, what makes you believe that the marriage is not yet official in the US?

OK, I raise my hand in admitting I posted twice. I have decided to use my wife's maiden name on all documents to avoid any hassles. Thank you all for kind advice.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

OK, I raise my hand in admitting I posted twice. I have decided to use my wife's maiden name on all documents to avoid any hassles. Thank you all for kind advice.

Marriage being official and name changing are two separate issues. If you're married, you're married. Marriage in Columbia is married. Period. I take it your wife's name did not change at the time of marriage. It either did or it didn't. The path you follow is based on the facts, not a choice, in this case.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

All help appreciated

Does your marriage certificate show your wife's marred name? If so, you can use her married name (using your last name).

I-130 Timeline with USCIS:

It took 92 days for I-130 to get approved from the filing date

NVC Process of I-130:

It took 78 days to complete the NVC process

Interview Process at The U.S. Embassy

Interview took 223 days from the I-130 filing date. Immigrant Visa was issued right after the interview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.