visaveteran1

Remarriage in USA

17 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I have a sense it may save us a lot of hassles now and later if I just go ahead and again marry my Russian wife at the local courthouse when she gets to the US via the K-3 129F route. All this new ####### about evidence of bona fide marriage and having to always show a translated marriage certificate is going to be a general headache.

Anyone done this same thing? Any thoughts or feedback?

Yes, I can hear many folks saying why didn't I just do a fiancee visa in the first place? Main reason...my wife wanted to marry in Russia and also did not want to give up her successful business in Russia and her hard won lifestyle to come to the US on a 90 day fiancee visa and have me tell her..."Sorry, I changed my mind." I can't blame her for common sense.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
I have a sense it may save us a lot of hassles now and later if I just go ahead and again marry my Russian wife at the local courthouse when she gets to the US via the K-3 129F route. All this new ####### about evidence of bona fide marriage and having to always show a translated marriage certificate is going to be a general headache.

Yes, I can hear many folks saying why didn't I just do a fiancee visa in the first place? Main reason...my wife wanted to marry in Russia and also did not want to give up her successful business in Russia and her hard won lifestyle to come to the US on a 90 day fiancee visa and have me tell her..."Sorry, I changed my mind." I can't blame her for common sense.

I thought a legal marriage was a legal marriage. Can you even do what you are then suggesting?

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: Other Timeline

I think some of the people who have filed since the changes haven't bothered with the evidence and have been approved but don't know if any have made it to the consulate level yet - as pushbrk has said you can't expect newlyweds to come up with that stuff if they have never lived in the same coutry together. I thought for both the K-3 and the CR-1 the requirement of evidence of bonafide marriage(which should not apply to newlyweds) is the same - what is the difference?

I was thinking at one time of bringing Govi in on a K-1 to avoid the evidence issue but if you had to go to the US Embassy in her country and do an Affidavit of No Contest in order to do a legal marriage in her country then the Embassy already has a file on you - if you tried to do a K-1 it would be seen as fraud, so nix to that idea... I am just going to file and hope for the best...

thkirby-1.gifpetblink46.gif
BuddhaEyesGlobe.gif1433707c1j51myzp6.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Why? The US Government recognizes marriage abroad.

The translation of foreign marriage cert does not need to be a certified one, it can be a literal translation don by someone fluent in both languages, and they "Certify" it by stating that they are fluent in both language and that it is a true and accurate translation, sign and date.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Timeline

I thought a legal marriage was a legal marriage. Can you even do what you are then suggesting?

I would see such a marriage as similar to those who get a civil marriage then later have a church wedding. Or a renewal of vows.

Filed: Timeline

But wouldn't that immediately become a null marriage? If you are already married, and USCIS is processing your petition with the Russian marriage certificate, I would think this new "US marriage" would not be legally valid and could potentially get you into trouble. But then again, I am NO expert.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Why? The US Government recognizes marriage abroad.

The translation of foreign marriage cert does not need to be a certified one, it can be a literal translation don by someone fluent in both languages, and they "Certify" it by stating that they are fluent in both language and that it is a true and accurate translation, sign and date.

I think the OP has not only already married but has also filed the petitions. If so, they supplied a marriage certificate with the petition. If not, they'll need to do so. USCIS translation requirements don't always match those expected by the Consulate at interview. They were married in Russia, so they need a marriage certificate translated according the requirements of the IV unit in Moscow, whatever that might be.

You cannot adjust status from a K3 visa based on a marriage that takes place after US entry. Married is married. This couple married in Russia before filing the petitions.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
But wouldn't that immediately become a null marriage? If you are already married, and USCIS is processing your petition with the Russian marriage certificate, I would think this new "US marriage" would not be legally valid and could potentially get you into trouble. But then again, I am NO expert.

It's an interesting situation. If my wife comes here on the K-3 129F...and our I-130 is pending until AOS...I would think a civil marriage in the US would only add to the "bona fide" evidence we're truly married once the I-130 kicks in. One marriage stands as Russian and one as American.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

It's an interesting situation. If my wife comes here on the K-3 129F...and our I-130 is pending until AOS...I would think a civil marriage in the US would only add to the "bona fide" evidence we're truly married once the I-130 kicks in. One marriage stands as Russian and one as American.

Married is married. You can legally marry only once. Both petitions require that the couple be married before filing. Your I-130 will not be pending. It will be approved and held. Big difference but you had to marry before filing the I-130 anyway.

You're already married. Period.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Timeline

Married is married. You can legally marry only once. Both petitions require that the couple be married before filing. Your I-130 will not be pending. It will be approved and held. Big difference but you had to marry before filing the I-130 anyway.

Agreed, and this "other wedding" can get you into a load of trouble.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Agreed. Married is married and it's just as legal if done in another country as it is if done in the USA. There is no extra registration or anything you need to do to make it legal here. Trying to get married a 2nd time is just asking for trouble. Put down the sharp pointy stick before you poke yourself in the eye!!!

Wife's visa journey:

03/19/07: Initial mailing of I-129F.

07/07/11: U.S. Citizenship approved and Oath Ceremony!

MIL's visa journey:

07/26/11: Initial mailing of I-130.

05/22/12: Interview passed!

Timeline

OK...thanks. I don't need more trouble...that's for sure!

Agreed. Married is married and it's just as legal if done in another country as it is if done in the USA. There is no extra registration or anything you need to do to make it legal here. Trying to get married a 2nd time is just asking for trouble. Put down the sharp pointy stick before you poke yourself in the eye!!!

Hear you loud and clear!

Timeline

Agreed, and this "other wedding" can get you into a load of trouble.

That's what's great about this forum...it keeps me from falling into another USCIS dark hole.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

OK...thanks. I don't need more trouble...that's for sure!

Hear you loud and clear!

Good man! :thumbs:

Wife's visa journey:

03/19/07: Initial mailing of I-129F.

07/07/11: U.S. Citizenship approved and Oath Ceremony!

MIL's visa journey:

07/26/11: Initial mailing of I-130.

05/22/12: Interview passed!

Filed: Other Timeline

What kind of 'proof' do you think you need to provide once she arrives? For the adjustment of status?

A certified translation of a piece of paper is not that big of a deal - as you've already been told.

You will need to show you have 'co-mingled' your assets. You will need to show (on paper) that you have a life together (health insurance beneficiaries; apartment lease; jointly filed income tax return; etc).

Even if you did a 'vow renewal' that isn't going to be enough proof of a bonafide relationship.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.