Paul & Ilona

Cosponsorship queries

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello helpful ones,

We're looking to my parents for cosponsorship as I'm at best going to a graduate student on a departmental stipend of 16 grand. My parents are worried about the legal liabilities on their end.

How exactly does cosponsorship work? I understand it as a form of payment deferrment for government assistance--should things come to that. Is it as simple as: any time that the person being sponsored applies for govt assistance, the government doles out the benefit, but charges the sponsors the balance of the assistance? Is this right?

We all understand that the cosponsor's liabilities extend until citizenship or 10 years of working have passed. There's also been mention of the fact that both the person being sponsored as well as the government is able to sue the sponor if the sponsor refuses to assist.

The relation between us and my parents is nothing short of perfect, and it would take a nuclear event to create friction between us, but should they still be apprehensive in signing onto a decade long aid process?

If someone has information/experiences that could assuage them that would be appreciated. Anyone that you would recommend talking to that would be authoritative on this?

Filed: Timeline
Hello helpful ones,

We're looking to my parents for cosponsorship as I'm at best going to a graduate student on a departmental stipend of 16 grand. My parents are worried about the legal liabilities on their end.

How exactly does cosponsorship work? I understand it as a form of payment deferrment for government assistance--should things come to that. Is it as simple as: any time that the person being sponsored applies for govt assistance, the government doles out the benefit, but charges the sponsors the balance of the assistance? Is this right?

We all understand that the cosponsor's liabilities extend until citizenship or 10 years of working have passed. There's also been mention of the fact that both the person being sponsored as well as the government is able to sue the sponor if the sponsor refuses to assist.

The relation between us and my parents is nothing short of perfect, and it would take a nuclear event to create friction between us, but should they still be apprehensive in signing onto a decade long aid process?

If someone has information/experiences that could assuage them that would be appreciated. Anyone that you would recommend talking to that would be authoritative on this?

My husband forgot to ask this in his post:

First, briefly, is co sponsorship the same as joint sponsorship??? I'm going to use the term co-sponsorship here, but if these are two completely different things, somebody please let us know.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Chile
Timeline

The only thing I know is co-sponsorship is a anther family member within the household and a join sponsor is someone outside the household. I can't answer the remaining questions.

My blog

10/01/2005: Married in Toronto

02/15/2006: Began Canadian Immigration

09/19/2007: Withdrew CIC application (they still hadn't processed anything)

10/01/2007: Moved back to U.S.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IR-1 application through Montreal Consulate

10/26/2007: I-130 mailed to CA Service Center

10/29/2007: USPS confirmation of receipt of I-130

02/13/2008: NOA-1 received (107 days)

07/02/2008: I-130 approved

07/22/2008: AOS filed including EAD and AP

07/25/2008: NOA-1s for all 3 received

08/20/2008: Biometrics appointment

08/22/2008: Received RFE for Affadivit of Support and Medical

10/21/2008: Submitted I-865W in lieu of co-sponsor and medical info to NSC

11/14/2008: online case status not updated since filing of AOS in July 2008

01/20/2009: Received another RFE for Affadavit of Support Info

02/02/2009: Responded to RFE with brand new AOS based on 2008 tax return (if that doesn't shut them up, dunno what will)

02/19/2009: EAD card received in mail (no updates on Online Case Status ever made)

02/23/2009: AP received (again, no online updates)

02/26/2009: Received interview appointment letter for 4/6/09

04/06/2009: AOS approved for unconditional GC

04/21/2009: GC received

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
The only thing I know is co-sponsorship is a anther family member within the household and a join sponsor is someone outside the household. I can't answer the remaining questions.

Delicia had it right with her statement. As long as your husband does not live with his parents, they would be considered "joint sponsors", and would fill out exactly the same form as your husband (I-864) and include the same sort of evidence, (ex. employment letters, W2's, copy of birth certificate, etc.)

I'm not very knowledgable about the legal liabilities involved with the Affadavit of Support either, unfortunately. I do seem to recall that if the situation were to arise, they primarily go after the petitioner for the funds... not the joint sponsor, although I could be wrong so don't quote me on it.

Hopefully pshbrk or YuandDan will see this thread and pop in here to give you some further info in that department :)

Edited by Misty1979

Sept.09/06 Married!!!

Dec.21/06 Sent I-130

Jan.04/04 Received NOA1

Feb.23/06 Sent I-129F

March06/06 USCIS Website States: "Approval Notice Sent."

March15/07 Approval notice arrives in snail mail

March 18/07 NOA1 for I-129F

April 10/07 DS-3032+ AOS fee arrive

April 17/07 Sent back DS-3032 + AOS fee via overnight delivery

May 05/07 AOS arrives in mail

May 07/07 IV bill arrives in mail

May 08/08 Sent back IV bill

May 21 NVC generates DS-230

June 4/07 Mailed DS-230 via overnight delivery.

June 7/07 DS-230 entered into the system

June 18/07 Case Complete!

July 25/07 Medical

September 4/07 Contacted State Senator Re: MTL backlog

Dec.6/07 INTERVIEW..... APPROVED!!!! (After being kept awake all night in dirty clothes standing outside my hotel because Air Canada lost my luggage and my hotel started on fire. Meh, sleep is highly over-rated anyways.)

Dec.18/07 Moved to the US

Oct. 29/09 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

"We come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly"

This isn't true. Someone within the household adding their income to total is called a "household member" and completes a I-864A. There is no official "co-sponsor" - it's just another word used casually when describing a "joint sponsor" who fills out the I-864. :)

My Crafting Blog - On a Roll - Blogspot

3179788211_95b93e62af_t.jpg3179788215_6a1e497e9b_t.jpg3165849344_f296789fd3_t.jpg

US Immigration Timeline

-------------------------

24 Feb 2007 - Sent I-130 to London USCIS office (I'm the petitioner)

25 May 2007 - NOA2

2 June 2007 - Received Packet 3

12 Oct 2007 - Sent Packet 3 back by special delivery

5 Nov 2007 - Interview in London - Approved without any hitches!

7 Nov 2007 - Visa and MBE arrived by SMS! :)

30 Jan 2008 - Fly to Michigan!! :)

*Note: Any delays in our case are only due to us taking things slowly

Hello helpful ones,

You are right that it is a contract for a 10 year period. WIth you being a graduate student, I certainly don't see any problems in you being able to support your spouse over that period. If, for some unforseen reason, the marriage does not work out, remember the CR-1 in a conditional visa that is only good for 2 years and has to be finalized with removal of conditions.

First trip 01-17-07

Married 02-05-07

What Service Center was filed at? Nebraska transferred to California

Provide dates for the following:

I-130 sent (Mailed)..........................3-12-07

1st NOA (Receipt Notice) .................3-29-07

2nd NOA (Approval Notice) e-mail.....6-15-07

Bill for I-864 processing fee rcd and sent..7-24-07

I-864 Packet Received......................8-18-07

I-864 Mailed to NV............................8-20-07

Bill for DS-230 received....................8-29-07

Payment for DS-230 sent..................8-30-07

DS-230 Packet received..................10-25-07

DS-230 Packet sent to NVC..............10-29-07

Case Completed..............................11-16-07

Case Forwarded to Embassy.............11-30-07

Packet recieved from NVC................12-07-07

Medical complete...............................1-04-08

Leave for Manila................................1-19-08

Interview and approval......................1-22-08

Visa in Hand .....................................1-24-08

Arrived in USA...................................3-19-08

Hello helpful ones,

You are right that it is a contract for a 10 year period. WIth you being a graduate student, I certainly don't see any problems in you being able to support your spouse over that period. If, for some unforseen reason, the marriage does not work out, remember the CR-1 in a conditional visa that is only good for 2 years and has to be finalized with removal of conditions.

There are a few events that end the support obligation, but the passage of 10 years is not one of them.

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.