aestila

new to all this... the I-134

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: El Salvador
Timeline

so I've researched endlessly... i still feel like i need an attorney to complete the application process.... have any of you completed your application packet successfully without an attorney?

my question is this: i'm young, still living with my parents, and without means to support my fiance, but my parents are willing and able... is it possible to petition together and how do i do so? and will my parents be interviewed as well?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

hey there! alright i am not a professional but you don't need to hire a lawyer. just take your time with everything and come to this website if you have any questions and everyone will be more than happy to help you!! most of us here have not used lawyers and have gotten thorugh the process or like myself very close to the end! as far as being young and living with your parents.... i am not sure how much this affects you getting a visa. there is no law that says you cannot get married under age you just have to have written consent if you are a minor from a legal guardian or parent and if your parents have said that they will cosponsor for you, it should be just fine. i think that some countries are having more of an issue with cosponsors than others so i would consult with the embassy in your fiances country but for most countries cosponsors are fine. they will not need to be interviewed.. only your fiance. as long as your fiance has no criminal backround or a long tern disease that could affect then from getting a job i cant see you not being able to get a visa! Good Luck to you and if you need any help at all just ask :D

Diana and Enrico

My Timeline

K1

01/09/06- pakage sent to NSC

01/11/06- NOA1

03/16/06- NOA2 approved!!!

04/03/06- arrived at NVC

04/04/06- left NVC

04/08/06- received packet 3

04/11/06- sent packet 3 to Frankfurt

04/26/06- received packet 4

05/23/06- INTERVIEW at 9:30amAPPROVED!!!!

06/01/06- visa in hand!!!

06/08/06- married in Vegas!!!

AOS/EAD

06/24/06- sent AOS and EAD package to Chicago

06/27/06- Chicago receives package

06/30/06- NOA1

07/03/06- NOA1 received in the mail

07/17/06- biometrics appt. received in mail

07/25/06- biometrics in cleveland

08/30/06- case received at CSC

08/31/06- received a new NOA1 email

09/01/06- touched AOS

09/15/06- AOS APPROVED!! got email saying welcome letter was sent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

09/20/06- welcome letter received!!! and approval email sent

09/21/06- touched and GREENCARD RECEIVED!!!!!

06/08/07- one year anniversary

06/08/08- two year anniversary

06/08/09- three year anniversary

Removal of Conditions

06/17/08- package sent to California

06/19/08- California receives package

06/19/08-NOA1

06/28/08-Biometrics appointment

07/28/08-touched

09/01/08-received non conditional green card

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: El Salvador
Timeline

thank you for information...man, people are sweet ;) well i'm young but not a minor. i'll be 21 in september...the thing is i'm still in college and there's really no way i can make enough to sponsor my fiance by myself. i heard i need to make somewhere around $25k/annually at the minimum... hmm i'll keep researching...

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

We completed this process successfully without an attorney. That's where VJ helps out a great deal. Read the guides (print them out like I did...mine are ragged from reading through them so much :) ) and when you don't understand something, ask :) The majority of us on here have done this without an attorney and really, you don't need one unless you have a complicated case such as criminal background and such. Best of luck with whatever you decide. :)

The minimum required to support you and your fiance is posted somewhere...do a search for "income requirements" and the information should pop up. The amount required depends on how many are living in the household, which would include your fiancé.

Edited by KarenCee

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

You don't need an attorney unless you run into problems and even then you may be able to resolve them on your own. Save yourselves (well your parents) some money (about $2000 to $4000) for the whole process. Read the guides, look at the examples, read the posts here and ask questions if you still ned help. Good Luck

K1

March 2 Filed I-129 F

July 21 Interview in Bogota ** Approved ** Very Easy!

AOS

Oct 19 Mailed AOS Packet to Chicago

Feb 17 AOS interview in Denver. Biometrics also done today! (Interviewing officer ordered them.)

Apr 25 Green card received

Removal of conditions

March 17 Refiled using new I-751 form

April 16 Biometrics done

July 10 Green card production ordered

Citizenship

Jan 20 filed N400

Feb 04 NOA date

Feb 24 Biometrics

May 5 Interview - Centennial (Denver, Colorado) Passed

June 10 Oath Ceremony - Teikyo Loretto Heights, Denver, Colorado

July 7 Received Passport in 3 weeks

Shredded all immigration papers Have scanned images

We did not have an attorney and got approved without a hitch. I also had to have a cosponsor, it really was not a difficult thing at all. All you do is have them fill out an I-134 along with you and submit the evidence required for it (along with your evidence). You can do it without an attorney, all we had was this site! :) Oh and no, your parents will not be interviewed. All that is required of them is the I-134 and the supporting evidence with it (the evidence is listed on the form but some Embassies ask for other stuff but they will let you know about this).

Edited by James_and_Miranda

Naturalization

=======================================

02/02/2015 - Filed Dallas lockbox. Atlanta office.

02/13/2015 - NOA received

03/10/2015 - Biometrics

03/12/2015 - In-Line for Interview

04/09/2015 - E-notification for Interview Letter

05/18/2015 - Interview - passed!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I concur that an attorney is not necessary if your case is pretty straightforward. Many people advised Nigel and I to get an attorney and I was considering it before I found this site. But after finding the site there was no need for an attorney. You'll get all the advice you need on here as well as a step-by-step guide. And as long as you can double and triple check your paperwork to make sure you have all your boxes checked I'm sure you'll be fine.

May 2003 - Met in Vegas

October 2004 - First trip to England to see Nigel

November 24, 2005 - Engaged!

December 13, 2005 - Sent I-129

December 16, 2005 - I-129 received in Vermont

December 19, 2005 - NOA1

January 3, 2005 - NOA2

January 27, 2006 - Packet 3 received

February 9, 2006 - Packet 3 sent back

March 13, 2006 - Medical appointment

March 23, 2006 - Packet 4 received

April 18, 2006 - Interview - VISA APPROVED!!!

June 21, 2006 - Nigel arrives!

July 12, 2006 - Applied for SSN

July 14, 2006 - Married at courthouse

July 19, 2006 - Received SSN

August 8, 2006 - Filed for AOS and EAD

August 17, 2006 - Received NOA

September 2, 2006 - Received notice that case was transferred to CSC

September 5, 2006 - Biometrics appt

September 30, 2006 - Official wedding with friends and family - woohoo!

October 12, 2006 - Received email that case was approved

October 16, 2006 - GC arrived!

Neither of us are attornies either, I'd agree with everyone on this post...VJ is a HUGE resource, and everyone is willing to help, you just have to ask!! (plus searching the forums comes in very helpful, we found that usually if we had a question someone else has asked it before)...

Good luck...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

September 30, 2003- Met while working together in Portsmouth, England

October 12, 2005- Sent I-129F Petition to <!--WORD2URL-01--><!--END WORD2URL-01-->VSC<!--WORD2URL-02--><!--END WORD2URL-02-->

October 14, 2005- NOA1

October 21, 2005- NOA2

February 24, 2006 - K1 Interview

February 28, 2006 - Received visa!! - wooooooo!

July 19, 2006 - due to head out to the States...

Sept 9 - WE GOT MARRIED!!

Oct 18 - filed AOS/EAD/AP paperwork

Oct 30 - received Transfer notice (to California Processing Center)

Nov 28 - received appointment notice for biometrics

Dec 21 - appointment for biometrics

Jan 23 - received EAD card

Jan 24 - received AP

May 17 - received e-mail regarding greencard - IT'S ON ITS WAY!! :-)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.