Captain Ewok

Ask the Embassy. Your Top Questions will be answered by an actual Consulate Officer

73 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

Hi All-

We have gotten permission from the Columbian Embassy to submit up to ten member generated questions on any related immigration issue at the Consulate Stage of processing. These questions can be general in nature and may apply to all consulates and petitioners across the world -- or you may ask questions that may be specific to the Columbian consulate itself. This is a rare occation and hopefully we can come up with a list of roughly ten questions that they will answer for us :).

Post your questions below and we will take the top 10 most moderated questions and submit them. They will be reviewed by the consulate and their answers will be posted back for everyone to read. :)

I am an Ewok. I am here to to keep the peace. Please contact me if you have a problem with the site or a complaint regarding a violation of the Terms of Service. For the fastest response please use the 'Contact Us' page to contact me.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Since no one is asking and all have thier thinking caps on looking for the best anwser I will get the ball rolling and obviously it is not a top ten question so here I go.

Question: Is there a statute of limitation on criminal offences, if yes what is it?

09/20/2006 - Sent I-129F

09/22/2006 - Received at NSC
09/28/2006 - NOA-1 (1-797C date )

10/02/2006 - Cheque cashed

10/02/2006 - NOA 1 (I-797C recieved in the mail)

12/08/2006 - NOA-2 in 79 days

12/13/2006 - NOA-2 hard copy recieved

12/26/2006 - Package recieved by NVC

12/30/2006 - Received by Montreal

01/22/2007 - Received Packet 3

04/16/2007 - Returned Packet 3

08/02/2007 - Received medical documentation

08/07/2007 - Received Interview date Aug. 9th

08/09/2007 - Received I-601 and 212 (not approved yet)

02/17/2008 - I-601 approved 212 abandoned

06/2?/2009 - New medical and passport and doc sent to Mtl

07/22/2009 - Recieved request for DS-221 and notarized letter of intent

07/31/2009 - Montreal recieves thier final requested doc.

09/01/2009 - Visa approved and mail out today

This is great! I have two very important questions. My wife's IR1 case just went from NVC to Islamabad consulate in Pakistan.

Question 1) We need to change my wife's Physical address and Phone Numbers in Pskitan, so she can recieve the Packet at the right address. What is the best way of doing it?? Email or by contacting the emabassy through mail??

Question 2) We have gone through the Standard NVC processing and will need to submit all the docs to the embassy. If we do not recieve the Packet from the Embassy, can we submit all the docs if we find out that the emabassy has mailed the Packet??

I am asking this because the mailing system in Pakistan is not that good and I am afraid that they may mail the Packet to the Old address.

Thank you so much for all your help!!! Regards, kim

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I would be interested in knowing what the Consulate feels are the most common mistakes/deficiencies in applications, and what advice they would give applicants to ensure that our interview runs smoothly and to improve our chances of a positive outcome. Basically, I would like to give the Consular Officer a chance to tell us what we can do to make his/her job easier.

October 5, 2007 - K-1 Application mailed to CSC

October 11, 2007 - NOA1

February 27, 2008 - NOA2

April 29, 2008 - Interview - approved!!

May 6, 2008 - Arrived in the US

May 23, 2008 - Married!

May 29, 2008 - AOS mailed

June 4, 2008 - NOA1!

June 25, 2008 - Biometrics

August 11, 2008 - AP Approved

August 14, 2008 - EAD Approved

October 28, 2008 - Interview - Approved!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline
Hi All-

We have gotten permission from the Columbian Embassy to submit up to ten member generated questions on any related immigration issue at the Consulate Stage of processing. These questions can be general in nature and may apply to all consulates and petitioners across the world -- or you may ask questions that may be specific to the Columbian consulate itself. This is a rare occation and hopefully we can come up with a list of roughly ten questions that they will answer for us :).

Post your questions below and we will take the top 10 most moderated questions and submit them. They will be reviewed by the consulate and their answers will be posted back for everyone to read. :)

In regards to DNA testing.....Does the Consulate Officer have a legal right to demand DNA tests to be performed on an applicant after all USCIS and NVC processing has been approved? If an applicant refuses to submit to DNA testing, can their application be denied?

Edited by Nutty

Hola, new to Vj. this a great info...My question, I am an american living in lima, and in the process of getting a resident visa..Can I file the K-1 visa at the American embassy here,or do I need to return to the US for this..They have told me,I need to return the USA to file the fiancee visa, but may file the spousal visa here..Another day they say, I need the residence visa here, and then I can file the fiancee visa from Lima...I need the definitive answer..Any help...thanks...Daniel

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

I would ask: what is the best way to go about correcting (important) filing errors...(Mirla's case comes to mind - RFE for crimes never commited)

Saludos,

Caro

***Justin And Caro***
Happily married and enjoying our life together!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Are these questions strickly for the Columbian Consulate/Embassy?

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensedregistered pharmacist". (because somebody gives a damn)

Russia-USA.png

Together at last!!!

Entry 4/8/08

Marriage 6/7/08

LAISSEZ LES BONS TEMPS ROULER!!

Filed: Country: Senegal
Timeline
Hi All-

In regards to DNA testing.....Does the Consulate Officer have a legal right to demand DNA tests to be performed on an applicant after all USCIS and NVC processing has been approved? If an applicant refuses to submit to DNA testing, can their application be denied?

I can answer that. DNA testing can never be ' demanded ' but ' requested '. If it is not submitted, the time to verify documents ( such as birth cert. )

can take months or years to establish eligibility of the applicant.

This is great! I have two very important questions. My wife's IR1 case just went from NVC to Islamabad consulate in Pakistan.

Question 1) We need to change my wife's Physical address and Phone Numbers in Pskitan, so she can recieve the Packet at the right address. What is the best way of doing it?? Email or by contacting the emabassy through mail??

Question 2) We have gone through the Standard NVC processing and will need to submit all the docs to the embassy. If we do not recieve the Packet from the Embassy, can we submit all the docs if we find out that the emabassy has mailed the Packet??

I am asking this because the mailing system in Pakistan is not that good and I am afraid that they may mail the Packet to the Old address.

Thank you so much for all your help!!! Regards, kim

I have the same exact question number one, I didn't list a mailing address for my wife, I only listed her home location, but I did put in her cellphone number.

please pass question number one to the embassy, it's a good one

thanks

[...Life without my WIFE... Like fifty without FIVE...=0]

Filed: Country: Senegal
Timeline

My Question : The AP/AR time often is unreasonably lenghty and some embassies ( Dakar ) routinely conduct a second interview to most

applicants, why ? With limited staff and resources one interview would seem to be more efficient. All 1. interviewers / DNA tests go back to the bottom of the pile to await the 2. interview.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nepal
Timeline

I could be mistaken, but it seems like on VJ we see many beneficiaries emerge from their Consular interviews unsuccessful, but without a clear understanding of exactly why the visa may not be granted, and no piece of paper giving a reason.

I would like to know what is the best way in these cases to respectfully insist that a reason be given in writing, to either the petitioner or the beneficiary or both, as to why the visa will/may not be granted.

Also, it might be helpful to learn what, if any, recourse is available to those who would like to challenge the finding(s) of the CO at the interview. What is the recommended process? How can one handle such a situation in such a way as to keep the petition/application package at the Consulate until things are resolved?

And are the answers to either or both of these questions specific to the Colombian Consulate, or might they apply anywhere?

Just a few ideas from my reading here. We're through all that, but I bet others would find the information useful.

Thanks... and thanks VERY MUCH to the Colombian Consulate in advance for providing this rare opportunity!

Maya

Many thanks to the Visajourney community for all the help!

Are these questions strickly for the Columbian Consulate/Embassy?

Re-read Capt's post:

"These questions can be general in nature and may apply to all consulates and petitioners across the world -- or you may ask questions that may be specific to the Columbian consulate itself."

8-30-05 Met David at a restaurant in Germany

3-28-06 David 'officially' proposed

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

9-25-06 Interview: APPROVED!

10-16-06 Flt to US, POE Detroit

11-5-06 Married

7-2-07 Green card received

9-12-08 Filed for divorce

12-5-08 Court hearing - divorce final

A great marriage is not when the "perfect couple" comes together.

It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.