John Belly

Affidavit of Support Question...

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I am confused with the Affidavit of Support. Is there a way for family members in the same household to help meet the income level requirements? Are they co sponsors? or do they fall under another category all together?

My only concern so far on what I have read in the K-1 process is this Affidavit of support. I have lived at home and been attending school locally. My parents are more than willing to help me with this process, but due to me being in school, my income has been non existent. Is there a way to use my parents income and their assets to meet the income requirements? I am currently seeking full time employment but obviously wont have a W2 until later on.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I had no idea immigrating my girlfriend from the UK to here for marriage would be so hard. :(

I am confused with the Affidavit of Support. Is there a way for family members in the same household to help meet the income level requirements? Are they co sponsors? or do they fall under another category all together?

My only concern so far on what I have read in the K-1 process is this Affidavit of support. I have lived at home and been attending school locally. My parents are more than willing to help me with this process, but due to me being in school, my income has been non existent. Is there a way to use my parents income and their assets to meet the income requirements? I am currently seeking full time employment but obviously wont have a W2 until later on.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I had no idea immigrating my girlfriend from the UK to here for marriage would be so hard. :(

Yes, you can use your parents as co-sponsors. They will have to fill out the I-134 and provide supporting documentation later when your fiance will have her interview.

keTiiDCjGVo

If your salary (gross per year) does not meet the 125% poverty line for two people (which includes you and your beneficiary, and its somewhere around $17200 per year), then you will need a co-sponsor. That co-sponsor should be then able to support all the people in the household (you can use this as a guideline http://aspe.hhs.gov/poverty/07poverty.shtml). Where does your beneficiary live? Some countries do not honor co-sponsorship or more likely to be denied the visa since this causes a likeliness to be a public charge for your beneficiary. Remember, the Affidavit is a legal binding agreement stating your sponsor, who will give oath, that he/she will provide total support for 3 years to your petitioner. The whole purpose of the Affivadit of Support is to prove that your beneficiary once in the US will not be a public charge ie, will not declare bankcruptcy or live off government money. Good luck!

You should be ok with a joint sponsor. The UK is a low fraud consulate. Make sure you read the guides and it is also worth reading the RFE thread since it covers all those items that people have been asked to provide as part of their petition (such as beneficiary birth certificate) which are not mentioned in the guides. It is taking around 8-9 months or so from filing to visa for most UK cases at the moment. When you file your petition then set up a timeline and Visa Journey will estimate an NOA2 date for you.

17th March 2010 - Started the removal of conditions process

22nd March 2010 - Application received by CSC

30th April 2010 - Biometrics appointment

Filed: Timeline

Thanks everyone for the replies. I am going to seek the help of an immigration attorney to avoid issues with paperwork. I just hope no issues due to my lack of income. However, my parents will gladly co sponsor without an issue. So I am hoping that will work!

Thanks again!

Thanks everyone for the replies. I am going to seek the help of an immigration attorney to avoid issues with paperwork. I just hope no issues due to my lack of income. However, my parents will gladly co sponsor without an issue. So I am hoping that will work!

Thanks again!

The use of an immigration attorney does not guarantee no problems. There have been a few members of this forum who have had problems with their cases due to attorney error and in one case they were denied. If your case is straight forward then the guides here are very good and there is no one who is more committed than yourself to make sure that your case is correct.

17th March 2010 - Started the removal of conditions process

22nd March 2010 - Application received by CSC

30th April 2010 - Biometrics appointment

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.