Tunisia216

I 130 / Tunisian Husband

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hey guys...

I hope that everyone had a good Thanksgiving :)

I've never really posted here before, but I have been reading alot - just kinda wanted to put my information out there and see what everyone thought?

Please don't tell me horror stories, I'll cry LOL

My name is Ashley - I live in Delaware, USA. I met Jihed online - spent a year talking online. Visited him in August 2006 for the first time, again in November 2006 and we married June 23, 2007.

I married Jihed on June 23, 2007 in Tunisia. I stayed there with him a month and when I returned home I filed the I 130

Time line :

July 27, 2007 - I 130, fee, all supporting info sent to Vermont USCIS Center

July 28, 2007- My package is received and signed for by P Novack -agent

A lot of time passes, with nothing - no receipt, absolutely NOTHING - Called my Senator's office, he calls Vermont, and they finally got it open and in their computer

September 18, 2007 - I got NOA 1- receipt and assigned case number

November 14, 2007- Received approval from Vermont USCIS - and letter stating our cases was being sent to the National Visa Center (NVC)

Today : 11/23/07 - I called the NVC (the number they give on the notice, different from USCIS customer rep number) and asked the girl a lot of questions. They are much nicer and more helpful than the people on the USCIS customer service line - but still general info.

She said : The next thing is I'll get a packet of info in the mail from them and Jihed will also get one - Mine will have the Affidavit of Support, that I have to mail back to them with a $70 fee - and a copy of the paper he's going to get about the "agent" I had a hard time understanding her? She said that he has to mail his back in after he fills it out - to the NVC - She said that I got a copy incase he doesn't get his, incase he doesn't understand English well enough to fill it out, etc - So I'm wondering - is it faster if I just fill it out for him and mail it back to them? Post generally takes 10-15 days to travel between the US and Tunisia - and back again - seems like a lot of wasted time to me.

Then I asked her okay what about the next step? She said there will be another form - again I couldn't understand what she was talking about - and she said I have to pay another $380 for that one - ? Does anyone know what that is for? Seems like there are just more and more fees they do not tell you about when you are filing that initial visa. Then all of this has to happen, checks clear, etc before they even send the case to the embassy - which they kept calling the "agent" - In our case it's the American Embassy in Tunis, Les Berges du Lac.

I'm not sure if I'm really asking you guys questions or what - lol - I feel like all this is making me lose my mind - but I guess I'm just wondering, can you guys interject? Out line the process for me a little better? Let me know what kind of waiting time I am in for? I am seriously guilty of getting way to excited when I got that approval letter last week thinking he'd be here soon, but really I don't think that's the case any more and I'm in for more waiting time - feels like we've been waiting so long - And they took so long to open my package in the first place - I lost almost 3 months :(

:help:

I asked her if he would have to pay anything else? And she said just the medical exam fee - but that he should not incur any expense at the Embassy as long as I paid that $450 - the AoS form fee and the other 380 fee?

Again, i dunno what I'm asking you guys for lol - just help i'm a first timer, and I have no clue what I'm doing or what kind of wait we're in for :(

Thanks and again best wishes to you all

Ashley

Hi Ashley,

Most of what you want to know is in the VJ Guides. You can check out the one for CR1/IR1 by clicking the link that says guides at the top of any page on VJ.

Your spouse can designate you as his agent using DC3032.

Hey guys...

I hope that everyone had a good Thanksgiving :)

I've never really posted here before, but I have been reading alot - just kinda wanted to put my information out there and see what everyone thought?

Please don't tell me horror stories, I'll cry LOL

My name is Ashley - I live in Delaware, USA. I met Jihed online - spent a year talking online. Visited him in August 2006 for the first time, again in November 2006 and we married June 23, 2007.

I married Jihed on June 23, 2007 in Tunisia. I stayed there with him a month and when I returned home I filed the I 130

Time line :

July 27, 2007 - I 130, fee, all supporting info sent to Vermont USCIS Center

July 28, 2007- My package is received and signed for by P Novack -agent

A lot of time passes, with nothing - no receipt, absolutely NOTHING - Called my Senator's office, he calls Vermont, and they finally got it open and in their computer

September 18, 2007 - I got NOA 1- receipt and assigned case number

November 14, 2007- Received approval from Vermont USCIS - and letter stating our cases was being sent to the National Visa Center (NVC)

Today : 11/23/07 - I called the NVC (the number they give on the notice, different from USCIS customer rep number) and asked the girl a lot of questions. They are much nicer and more helpful than the people on the USCIS customer service line - but still general info.

She said : The next thing is I'll get a packet of info in the mail from them and Jihed will also get one - Mine will have the Affidavit of Support, that I have to mail back to them with a $70 fee - and a copy of the paper he's going to get about the "agent" I had a hard time understanding her? She said that he has to mail his back in after he fills it out - to the NVC - She said that I got a copy incase he doesn't get his, incase he doesn't understand English well enough to fill it out, etc - So I'm wondering - is it faster if I just fill it out for him and mail it back to them? Post generally takes 10-15 days to travel between the US and Tunisia - and back again - seems like a lot of wasted time to me.

Then I asked her okay what about the next step? She said there will be another form - again I couldn't understand what she was talking about - and she said I have to pay another $380 for that one - ? Does anyone know what that is for? Seems like there are just more and more fees they do not tell you about when you are filing that initial visa. Then all of this has to happen, checks clear, etc before they even send the case to the embassy - which they kept calling the "agent" - In our case it's the American Embassy in Tunis, Les Berges du Lac.

I'm not sure if I'm really asking you guys questions or what - lol - I feel like all this is making me lose my mind - but I guess I'm just wondering, can you guys interject? Out line the process for me a little better? Let me know what kind of waiting time I am in for? I am seriously guilty of getting way to excited when I got that approval letter last week thinking he'd be here soon, but really I don't think that's the case any more and I'm in for more waiting time - feels like we've been waiting so long - And they took so long to open my package in the first place - I lost almost 3 months :(

:help:

I asked her if he would have to pay anything else? And she said just the medical exam fee - but that he should not incur any expense at the Embassy as long as I paid that $450 - the AoS form fee and the other 380 fee?

Again, i dunno what I'm asking you guys for lol - just help i'm a first timer, and I have no clue what I'm doing or what kind of wait we're in for :(

Thanks and again best wishes to you all

Ashley

03/12/2007 - Married to my beautiful wife

04/16/2007 - Sent I-130 to VSC via USPS Express Mail

05/12/2007 - NOA1 received by snail mail after a loooong wait

05/14/2007 - Sent I-129F for K3 to Chicago Lockbox via USPS Express Mail

10/22/2007 - I129F APPROVED (161 days), I130 APPROVED (188 days)

11/08/2007 - I129F received at NVC, embassy case number generated.

11/13/2007 - I129F forwarded to embassy.

11/18/2007 - 129F petition received at embassy

01/09/2008 - finally, DOS gives me the interview date, April 16, 2007 (ouch)

01/23/2008 - never got packet 4, emailed embassy

04/11/2008 - picked up packet 4, did medical

04/14/2008 - medical report pickup, no problems

04/16/2008 - interview date- APPROVED!!!!!

04/18/2008 - both of us are home at last, POE JFK!

05/21/2008 - sent AOS and EAD

05/27/2008 - received NOA1 for AOS and for EAD

06/02/2008 - received Biometrics appt letter

06/19/2008 - Biometrics appointment scheduled - DONE

06/19/2008 - both AOS and EAD touched because of biometrics

07/29/2008 - EAD approved.

05/13/2009 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!/ Card production ordered email

05/18/2009 - Welcome Letter received

06/12/2009 - Second card production ordered email

06/19/2009 - Approval notice send email

06/22/2009 - Green Card received

04/09/2012 - Applied for Citizenship by Express Mailing N400 to NBC

04/10/2012 - N400 received by USCIS

06/23/2012 - Biometrics appointment

07/27/2012 - Appointment scheduled for N400 interview

09/05/2012 - Interview passed, oath ceremony completed, and Naturalization certificate received.

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline

Hi Ashley,

Welcome to VJ ! You will find answers to just about all your questions here.

First of all, as has been already advised, you need to acquaint yourself thoroughly with the Guides. Do some serious reading about the CR-1 process -- you will be spending the next couple of years of your life dealing with immigration-related issues, and you need to understand what you're looking at. Luckily this is the best place on the net to get information !

Looking ahead, you can expect your case to be at NVC for at least 3 months for several more rounds of forms and fees, and then (barring any RFEs) it goes on to the consulate -- if you're really lucky, maybe by the middle of next March. If everything goes smoothly, I think you're looking at an interview in Tunisia possibly sometime around next April or May.

OK regarding the DS-3032 --

Unreliable mail was a serious issue for us as well. You should definitely have your husband designate you as the "agent." This means NVC will send all forms to you in the U.S., instead of to him in Tunisia. You can fill out the DS-3032 for him -- except for his signature -- then scan it and email it to him. He can then print it out, sign it, and send it directly to NVC by courier. This will be much faster.

We have a couple of other members processing through Tunisia -- they may be able to give you more specific info about that consulate. And please join us in the ME/NA forum (in the regional forums on this site) for discussions of Middle East/North Africa issues. You can find it here:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showforum=97

Wishing you all the best with your visa journey !

(F)

-MK

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

Too bad what happened to a once thriving VJ but hardly a surprise

al Nakba 1948-2015
66 years of forced exile and dispossession

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Filed: Timeline

Salam MK :)

Thank you so much for your information.... Chokoran :)

I have read through the guides and I do feel like I have a much better understanding of what is going to happen now. I really wish that I would have sent the I 129 F after they reciepted my 1 130 but I suppose the time has passed for that now, as it's already gone to the NVC. It took me so long to get my reciept for the I 130 from July 27th to September 18th and then on November 14th we were approved by USCIS so I'm not sure what affect the I 129 F would have had. I understand what a lot of people are saying - regarding this being much easier on us in the end, that he'll come here able to work, with a social security number, etc and not as much paperwork or money to spend after he's here, but still - it's the whole waiting, wanting to be with them, etc. We have been through a long two year journey and we're both just very tired and ready to put this all to rest.

I really didn't think that we'd be looking at as late as April or May - but I suppose there is nothing that we can do. Just praying and inshallah perhaps we'll move through the NVC faster than 3 months - and inshallah no longer! LOL

I definitely understand what the DS-3032 is now - and what has to be done so that I can act as Jihed's agent here in the states. I was curious though - is that form available on the internet for download? Actually of all the forms that the NVC Is going to be sending over the next month are two - how many are available online? I'd like to download them all, fill them out, and have them waiting - so the second I get their mail, I can put it back to them. The scanning to him or faxing and having him sign it, is no problem and I agree is the best way! It takes at least 10 days for post to travel between the USA and Tunisia - and that's at best - I've waited 15 or 16 days before - so that could mean a month of wasted time for one piece of mail - and time is of the essence to us! (As I'm sure it is for everyone)

The first mainling that's going to come is the Affadavit of Support and DS 3032 to me and the DS 3032 to him in Tunisia, correct? This is where I fill out the AOS, include my tax forms, and $70 and mail back to the NVC. Also I would fill out the DS 3032 and get his signature on it and mail back to them?

What I'm more confused about now is the next mailing from them, which they told me would have a $380 USD fee. What is this form? What has to be included with it? And what is the fee for? Wow they really like to fee you to death, huh? hehe yallah!!

I have read a lot of your posts on this message board and I just wanted to say that I really agree with you on so many things. You seem like a very sweet and wonderful lady and I thank you sooo much for your help!

Inshallah labes inti dimaa ya sahbi. (God willing you're always well my friend)

Fi Amen Allah ,

Ashley

Hi Ashley,

Welcome to VJ ! You will find answers to just about all your questions here.

First of all, as has been already advised, you need to acquaint yourself thoroughly with the Guides. Do some serious reading about the CR-1 process -- you will be spending the next couple of years of your life dealing with immigration-related issues, and you need to understand what you're looking at. Luckily this is the best place on the net to get information !

Looking ahead, you can expect your case to be at NVC for at least 3 months for several more rounds of forms and fees, and then (barring any RFEs) it goes on to the consulate -- if you're really lucky, maybe by the middle of next March. If everything goes smoothly, I think you're looking at an interview in Tunisia possibly sometime around next April or May.

OK regarding the DS-3032--

Unreliable mail was a serious issue for us as well. You should definitely have your husband designate you as the "agent." This means NVC will send all forms to you in the U.S., instead of to him in Tunisia. You can fill out the DS-3032 for him -- except for his signature -- then scan it and email it to him. He can then print it out, sign it, and send it directly to NVC by courier. This will be much faster.

We have a couple of other members processing through Tunisia -- they may be able to give you more specific info about that consulate. And please join us in the ME/NA forum (in the regional forums on this site) for discussions of Middle East/North Africa issues. You can find it here:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showforum=97

Wishing you all the best with your visa journey !

(F)

-MK

There aren't any more surprises fees for this point of the process! :) You first paid the fee to file the petition. The $70 is for the affidavit of support processing and the $380 is for the visa itself - it is call the IV fee bill (IV stands for "immigrant visa"). The woman on the phone may have mentioned the DS-230 form at that point, which is the actual visa application. Then there's the medical. But there are no other fees before he has entered the country.

And, as you know, with the CR1 immigrant visa, which you're on track for, he'll be able to work right away and will have a temp green card immediately and two-year card within a matter of weeks. So while the process seems hard and long right now, it will be great in the end.

My Crafting Blog - On a Roll - Blogspot

3179788211_95b93e62af_t.jpg3179788215_6a1e497e9b_t.jpg3165849344_f296789fd3_t.jpg

US Immigration Timeline

-------------------------

24 Feb 2007 - Sent I-130 to London USCIS office (I'm the petitioner)

25 May 2007 - NOA2

2 June 2007 - Received Packet 3

12 Oct 2007 - Sent Packet 3 back by special delivery

5 Nov 2007 - Interview in London - Approved without any hitches!

7 Nov 2007 - Visa and MBE arrived by SMS! :)

30 Jan 2008 - Fly to Michigan!! :)

*Note: Any delays in our case are only due to us taking things slowly

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

To Ash Habaibi

I guess you are being too unrealisic. Fisrt of all you are one of the Luckiy people to be approved fast despite the heavy backlog. People who sent on July 30, still didnot receive NOA1 let alone NOA2 and NVC. And you still hope you have applied to I-129F to make it faster. Of course everybody here wants his spouse to be here fast but when you start this process you should plan 8 months to one year. Stick to I-130 since you are approved. If you go to I-129F you might save very few weeks or months. But CR_1 gets you guys going to buiness once he arrives. I-129 F needs another long process after arrival.

Sorry to be blunt. I am one of the frustrated by the back logs.

Edited by bnm

USCIS

I-130 Sent : 2007-10-01

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-01-07

I-130 Approved : 2008-05-19

NVC

NVC Received : 2008-05-28

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2008-06-13

Pay I-864 Bill 2008-06-13

Return Completed DS-3032 : 2008-06-13

I was watching c-span this morning and they pointed out an article in one of the newspapers they use that stated the expected time of the visa process is now 14 months.

But on to your quiestions. Once the choice of agent packet had been sent, I scanned my coy and the cover sheet and sent it to my wife, she filled it out, signed it and then used FedEx to send in to NVC. Mail service in the Philippines is not that dependable either. The next step was the affidavit of support (I-864) which you fill out. Then you will get the bill for $380 for the visa fee. To save time, have your husband download the form from the website http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/81807.pdf a fill out and sign part 1, tell him not to sign Part 2 yet, that is done in front of interviewer. Send that filled out form to you (assuming that he will name you as his agent), along with the other listed paperwork that is required, then when you get the packet in the mail, you'll be ready to shoot it back in, just attach the barcode sheet. On all your paperwork going in, be sure to write your NVC case # at the top of each sheet of paperwork. Next is the wait for case compleeted at NVC.

First trip 01-17-07

Married 02-05-07

What Service Center was filed at? Nebraska transferred to California

Provide dates for the following:

I-130 sent (Mailed)..........................3-12-07

1st NOA (Receipt Notice) .................3-29-07

2nd NOA (Approval Notice) e-mail.....6-15-07

Bill for I-864 processing fee rcd and sent..7-24-07

I-864 Packet Received......................8-18-07

I-864 Mailed to NV............................8-20-07

Bill for DS-230 received....................8-29-07

Payment for DS-230 sent..................8-30-07

DS-230 Packet received..................10-25-07

DS-230 Packet sent to NVC..............10-29-07

Case Completed..............................11-16-07

Case Forwarded to Embassy.............11-30-07

Packet recieved from NVC................12-07-07

Medical complete...............................1-04-08

Leave for Manila................................1-19-08

Interview and approval......................1-22-08

Visa in Hand .....................................1-24-08

Arrived in USA...................................3-19-08

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.