snookums03

HELP!SO CONFUSED!!

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi everyone.i'm new hereand i would like you to answer some of my questions if it's possible.

I'm Russian.my fiance is American From New Jersey.I was in the States two years ago on J-1 visa.Next year i went back there on J-1 visa again,changed my status to tourist and stayed,then i appliedd for asylum because i wanted to stay with my boyfriend.(we were not engaged back then).i went to an interview and because i didin't have a lawyer i asked for a voluntary departure.so now i'm back home and he's going to file papers for K-1 visa.so my questions are-will the fact that i changed my status so many times be a problem?and how long does the procedure usually take?let's say he files the papers in December when will i have an interview?

i'd really appreciate your help.Thank you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

You will be asked about previous visas to the US and you will be asked to explain the status changes.

I would recommend a consultation with a qualified immigration attorney - the refused application for asylum and voluntary departure will probably require a waiver, and you'll need to be prepared for that.

You will be asked about previous visas to the US and you will be asked to explain the status changes.

I would recommend a consultation with a qualified immigration attorney - the refused application for asylum and voluntary departure will probably require a waiver, and you'll need to be prepared for that.

And where do I get the waiver?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

It's best to prepare it in advance - especially given that your situation includes denied asylum and some status changes - than to not prepare it and have to do so, adding time to your process later.

This is why I said a consultation with an attorney would be prudent; your case is not straightforward, and a qualified attorney will be able to help you prepare adequately for the ordeal you have ahead.

It's best to prepare it in advance - especially given that your situation includes denied asylum and some status changes - than to not prepare it and have to do so, adding time to your process later.

This is why I said a consultation with an attorney would be prudent; your case is not straightforward, and a qualified attorney will be able to help you prepare adequately for the ordeal you have ahead.

Thank you very much for your help.another question.i can't download it.is there another website where i can do it?and where do i send it to?

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
changed my status to tourist and stayed,then i appliedd for asylum because i wanted to stay with my boyfriend.(we were not engaged back then).i went to an interview and because i didin't have a lawyer i asked for a voluntary departure.

You lost me here. Did you overstay your tourist visa?

Not having a lawyer isn't a reason to ask for voluntary departure. Being denied asylum might be. Please fill in the blanks between the beginning of the interview and your request for voluntary departure. If there was an overstay, how long was it?

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

changed my status to tourist and stayed,then i appliedd for asylum because i wanted to stay with my boyfriend.(we were not engaged back then).i went to an interview and because i didin't have a lawyer i asked for a voluntary departure.

Not having a lawyer isn't a reason to ask for voluntary departure. Being denied asylum might be. Please fill in the blanks between the beginning of the interview and your request for voluntary departure. If there was an overstay, how long was it?

I didn't overstay my tourist visa.i extended my status as a tourist twice and after that i applied for asylum.but the second time i applied for an extension i didn't get any papers saying that i got it but when i called the USCIS they said i did get it,so i went online and double checked-it said i got it.so i never got the paper.do you think that might be a problem?and what about the waiver?how do i get it?i really don't understand anything about all this paperwork so i'd appreciate it if you gave me like a step by step instruction on what to do.i know it would be easier to hire a attorney but we can't really afford one so i really need help.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I do not know about your other issues with asylum etc, but (at the moment) for people filing K-1 visa it seems to run an average of between 5-8 month from filing to visa/visa interview, but I would assume these are straight forward cases. And it really varies depending on the service center as well as by the fact that they had a huge number of applications over summer because of the fee increases that took effect in July. People filing in December may have better results?

I think we are all overwhelmed and made a bit sick when we realize that our lives and plans will have to be put on hold while we await approval by a process that puts our fate and emotional wellbeing in some anonymous fastidious bureaucrats hands. But realize you are not alone here, there must be at least a few people here on VJ that have been through your specific situation. Do as much research and reading as you can!

You've made a really good start by finding this site and I wish you the best of luck on your journey.

07/16/07 posted I-129f

07/20/07 confirmed delivered by US Postal Service

8/23/07 No NOA1 !!!!

8/23/07 phoned USCIS (told they can't help until after 90 days)

8/23/07 contacted bank to get copy of Cx check...illegable...noc WAC#

tried for weeks to get actual check....not possible, had to wait the 90 days for info from USCIS

10/17/07 Phoned USCIS, got thru (!), got WAC number and NOA1 date!!!!

07/26/07 NOA1 (never recieved hard copy, was promised a copy would be sent)

11/01/07 Ordered copy of "long form" UK B.C.

11/05/07 Recieved B.C. (Wish USCIS was that fast!)

11/09/07 Submitted request for UK police records

12/04/07 APPROVED By USCIS NOA2 letter sent (or so they claim)

12/15/07 Police certificate recieved

12/28/07 Called NVC, not in system

01/04/08 petition forwarded to London

01/12/08 packet 3 received *rubs eye in disbelief* Speed and efficiency, can it be?

01/18/08 HARD COPY OF NOA2 ARRIVED...seems the snail made a wrong turn somewhere.

01/28/08 Returned packet 3 to London Embassy

02/12/08 Medical completed...no problem.

02/13/08 Packet 4 received from London Embassy

03/03/08 Embassy Interview

03/06/08 Visa Arrived....Lovely to finally see it even if it is a bit drab...after 8 month you think they'd have sprung for some gold foil or at least a COLOR photo?

TODAY...he's here! He's in the US! Hurrah!

I do not know about your other issues with asylum etc, but (at the moment) for people filing K-1 visa it seems to run an average of between 5-8 month from filing to visa/visa interview, but I would assume these are straight forward cases. And it really varies depending on the service center as well as by the fact that they had a huge number of applications over summer because of the fee increases that took effect in July. People filing in December may have better results?

I think we are all overwhelmed and made a bit sick when we realize that our lives and plans will have to be put on hold while we await approval by a process that puts our fate and emotional wellbeing in some anonymous fastidious bureaucrats hands. But realize you are not alone here, there must be at least a few people here on VJ that have been through your specific situation. Do as much research and reading as you can!

You've made a really good start by finding this site and I wish you the best of luck on your journey.

Thank you so much for support.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Another question-how do we file the papers for sponsorship?when?what form do we need?

For the K-1 visa your fiance petitions for you the I-129F (look at the guides they are very thorough), after your petition is approved by USCIS (this will take plenty of time!), you take an I-134 (affidavit of support) that he has filled out and had notarized to the embassy interview....if he does not meet the financial requirements you'd need a co-sponsor that would provide you with the same I-134 forms for your interview.

This is potentially months down the line, while you want to be sure he meets the requirements, I think this is something to deal with after he submits the petition.

Again, look at the guides for the K-1 and the time lines, this information is very helpful.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=k1guide

I know this was very overwhelming for us, and sometimes it still is! But just take it one step at a time and you will get there.

07/16/07 posted I-129f

07/20/07 confirmed delivered by US Postal Service

8/23/07 No NOA1 !!!!

8/23/07 phoned USCIS (told they can't help until after 90 days)

8/23/07 contacted bank to get copy of Cx check...illegable...noc WAC#

tried for weeks to get actual check....not possible, had to wait the 90 days for info from USCIS

10/17/07 Phoned USCIS, got thru (!), got WAC number and NOA1 date!!!!

07/26/07 NOA1 (never recieved hard copy, was promised a copy would be sent)

11/01/07 Ordered copy of "long form" UK B.C.

11/05/07 Recieved B.C. (Wish USCIS was that fast!)

11/09/07 Submitted request for UK police records

12/04/07 APPROVED By USCIS NOA2 letter sent (or so they claim)

12/15/07 Police certificate recieved

12/28/07 Called NVC, not in system

01/04/08 petition forwarded to London

01/12/08 packet 3 received *rubs eye in disbelief* Speed and efficiency, can it be?

01/18/08 HARD COPY OF NOA2 ARRIVED...seems the snail made a wrong turn somewhere.

01/28/08 Returned packet 3 to London Embassy

02/12/08 Medical completed...no problem.

02/13/08 Packet 4 received from London Embassy

03/03/08 Embassy Interview

03/06/08 Visa Arrived....Lovely to finally see it even if it is a bit drab...after 8 month you think they'd have sprung for some gold foil or at least a COLOR photo?

TODAY...he's here! He's in the US! Hurrah!

Another question-how do we file the papers for sponsorship?when?what form do we need?

This will be done after you receive your NOA2 and will need to be taken to the interview at the consulate by the beneficiary.

17th March 2010 - Started the removal of conditions process

22nd March 2010 - Application received by CSC

30th April 2010 - Biometrics appointment

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

I didn't overstay my tourist visa.i extended my status as a tourist twice and after that i applied for asylum.but the second time i applied for an extension i didn't get any papers saying that i got it but when i called the USCIS they said i did get it,so i went online and double checked-it said i got it.so i never got the paper.do you think that might be a problem?and what about the waiver?how do i get it?i really don't understand anything about all this paperwork so i'd appreciate it if you gave me like a step by step instruction on what to do.i know it would be easier to hire a attorney but we can't really afford one so i really need help.

I can't follow all the use of the pronoun "it". Gives me a headache. You say you didn't overstay your visa but also seem to say you don't have any written record your visa was extended the second time. So, does USCIS have you on record for an overstay or not?

Why did you request voluntary departure? See bolded above in my original question. It is very difficult to give you meaningul answers without the answers you've been asked for.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.