Seve G

Married in Australia

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

My wife in US citizen and i am UK citizen and we married 2001 and have 2 kids (last one born 6 weeks ago in US). In 2001 we went to Australia for a week’s holiday and decided to get married there. It seems that i (as the UK citizen) now need to go to Australia for visa? is it a joke or can i go to the London embassy that i can see from my home window. What about the police documentation that i can only get from London as that is my home town?

My wife now wants to stay in US with her family in the US as we have be in London for the last 6 years. I travel to US every few weeks on visa waiver...Our 6 year old has just started school in US.

Any help please

My wife in US citizen and i am UK citizen and we married 2001 and have 2 kids (last one born 6 weeks ago in US). In 2001 we went to Australia for a week’s holiday and decided to get married there. It seems that i (as the UK citizen) now need to go to Australia for visa? is it a joke or can i go to the London embassy that i can see from my home window. What about the police documentation that i can only get from London as that is my home town?

My wife now wants to stay in US with her family in the US as we have be in London for the last 6 years. I travel to US every few weeks on visa waiver...Our 6 year old has just started school in US.

Any help please

For the K3 you must go through the embassy in the country in which you married. So, unfortunately, for the K3 Australia it will be. However, I am under the impression that the I130 (CR1/IR1) does not have the same regulations and you are able to interview etc in London.

As you have stated you are the main breadwinner, the I130 would be better in this respect too, as you would not be authorised to work for roughly 3 months from entering the US on a K3 and filing for adjustment of status.

The difference in processing times between the IR1 and the K3 is only a couple of months at present.

Cheryl

06/2005 Met Josh online ~ 02/2006 My 1st visit to the US ~ 09/2006 2nd US visit (Josh proposed) ~ 02/2007 3rd US visit (married)

04/2007 K3 visa applied ~ 05/2007 Josh's 1st UK visit ~ 09/2007 4th US visit ~ 02/2008 K3 visa completed ~ 02/2008 US entry

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

04/2008 AOS/EAD filed ~ 05/2008 Biometrics ~ 06/2008 EAD recv'd ~ 08/2008 Conditional greencard

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

02/2010 3rd wedding anniversary ~ 06/04/2010 Apply for lifting conditions ~ 06/14 package delivered ~ 07/23 Biometrics

If your wife is still resident in the UK, you are in the ideal situation actually. Your wife can file the I-130 directly with the USCIS office in London. The whole process to get you a IR1 visa (which automatically grants you a 10 year green card with work authorisation upon arrival in the US) should only take about 6 months and sometimes even less.

It sounds like your wife is currently in the US, but if she has recently lived in the UK and still has authorisation to live and work in the UK, it should be okay for her to come to the UK for a bit and file the I-130 in London.

Otherwise, she should file the I-130 with the USCIS service center for her area in the US, and I would skip the I-129f for the K3 visa as that would mean you would need to go to Australia and it wouldn't be a ton quicker than the IR1 visa anyway. There are a lot of advantages to the IR1 visa as well.

My Crafting Blog - On a Roll - Blogspot

3179788211_95b93e62af_t.jpg3179788215_6a1e497e9b_t.jpg3165849344_f296789fd3_t.jpg

US Immigration Timeline

-------------------------

24 Feb 2007 - Sent I-130 to London USCIS office (I'm the petitioner)

25 May 2007 - NOA2

2 June 2007 - Received Packet 3

12 Oct 2007 - Sent Packet 3 back by special delivery

5 Nov 2007 - Interview in London - Approved without any hitches!

7 Nov 2007 - Visa and MBE arrived by SMS! :)

30 Jan 2008 - Fly to Michigan!! :)

*Note: Any delays in our case are only due to us taking things slowly

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.