MrsAmera

Thanksgiving Recipes

61 posts in this topic

I've decided that, instead of drastically changing my pumpkin pie, I'm going to just do a creamier version with a gingersnap crumb crust. Yummmm.

Corn Soufflé

2 cans of creamed corn

2 bags of frozen niblet corn

1/2 cup flour

1/3 cup sugar

4 eggs beaten

1 tsp. salt

1 stick of butter, melted

1 cup heavy cream

Mix together all ingredients, waiting until the end to add the frozen niblets. Bake at 350 degrees in soufflé dish or 9"x13" glass dish for about one hour until top is golden brown.

I've also added this roasted potato recipe cause it's so good.. we don't use it for Thanksgiving, but someone might.

Roasted Potatoes with Rosemary and Garlic

8 red-skinned potatoes, about 2" long, unpeeled, scrubbed

1 Tbs. fresh rosemary, chopped (or 1 tsp. crumbled dried)

1 Tbs. olive oil

1 tsp. salt

freshly ground black pepper to taste

2 large cloves of garlic, coarsely chopped *add garlic last or it will burn*

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Cut potatoes in quarters. Place then in a bowl and add 1.5 tsp fresh rosemary or 1/2 tsp dried. pour 2.5 tsp olive oil over them. Toss until well coated and the rosemary is well distributed. Place in a single layer on a heavy baking sheet and sprinkle with salt and pepper roast for 15 minutes.

In a small bowl, mix garlic with remaining 1/2 tsp olive oil. Add it to the potatoes and continue roasting for 10-15 minutes or until the potatoes are crisp and browned and easily pierced with a fork. Transfer to a serving dish, season wtih more fresh pepper and remaining 1.5 tsp fresh rosemary or 1/2 tsp dried.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Oh I might try that corn souffle it sounds nummy! Keep 'em coming I love new recipes!!

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

I make ths every year - its soooo bad, but tastes soooooooooooo good :D

Pumpkin Butter Cake

pa1a01_cake1_e.jpg

Cake:

1 (18 1/4-ounce) package yellow cake mix

1 egg

8 tablespoons butter, melted

Filling:

1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened

1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin

3 eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla

1/2 (16-ounce) box powdered sugar

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1 teaspoon nutmegPreheat oven to 350 degrees F. Combine the cake mix, egg, and butter and mix well with an electric mixer. Pat the mixture into the bottom of a lightly greased 13 by 9-inch baking pan.

To make the filling: In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese and pumpkin until smooth. Add the eggs, vanilla, and butter, and beat together. Next, add the powdered sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and mix well. Spread pumpkin mixture over cake batter and bake for 40 to 50 minutes. Make sure not to overbake as the center should be a little gooey.

Serve with fresh whipped cream.

Variations: For a Pineapple Gooey Cake: Instead of the pumpkin, add a drained 20-ounce can of crushed pineapple to the cream cheese filling. Proceed as directed above.

For a Banana Gooey Cake: Prepare cream cheese filling as directed, beating in 2 ripe bananas instead of the pumpkin. Proceed as directed above.

For a Peanut Butter Gooey Cake: Use a chocolate cake mix. Add 1 cup creamy peanut butter to the cream cheese filling instead of the pumpkin. Proceed as directed above.

Edited by LaL

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
I make ths every year - its soooo bad, but tastes soooooooooooo good :D

Pumpkin Butter Cake

pa1a01_cake1_e.jpg

Cake:

1 (18 1/4-ounce) package yellow cake mix

1 egg

Filling:

1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened

1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin

3 eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 (16-ounce) box powdered sugar

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1 teaspoon nutmegPreheat oven to 350 degrees F. Combine the cake mix, egg, and butter and mix well with an electric mixer. Pat the mixture into the bottom of a lightly greased 13 by 9-inch baking pan.

To make the filling: In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese and pumpkin until smooth. Add the eggs, vanilla, and butter, and beat together. Next, add the powdered sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and mix well. Spread pumpkin mixture over cake batter and bake for 40 to 50 minutes. Make sure not to overbake as the center should be a little gooey.

Serve with fresh whipped cream.

Variations: For a Pineapple Gooey Cake: Instead of the pumpkin, add a drained 20-ounce can of crushed pineapple to the cream cheese filling. Proceed as directed above.

For a Banana Gooey Cake: Prepare cream cheese filling as directed, beating in 2 ripe bananas instead of the pumpkin. Proceed as directed above.

For a Peanut Butter Gooey Cake: Use a chocolate cake mix. Add 1 cup creamy peanut butter to the cream cheese filling instead of the pumpkin. Proceed as directed above.

Ohhh.... I think I'm going to have to make that tooo.... I knew there was a reason I picked up extra pumpkin puree yesterday :whistle: I don't even have to make another trip to the store :dance:

يَايُّهَا الَّذِينَ ءامَنُوا اسْتَعِينُوا بِالصَّبْرِ وَالصَّلَوةِ اِنَّ اللَّهَ مَعَ الصَّبِرِينَ

“O you who believe! seek assistance through patience and prayer; surely Allah is with the patient. (Al-Baqarah 2:153 )”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

So every dessert recipe by Paula Deen that I have made has been amazing so here's one for Southern style Pecan Pie

Mystery Pecan Pie Recipe courtesy Paula Deen

See this recipe on air Wednesday Nov. 21 at 5:30 PM ET/PT.

Show: Paula's Home Cooking

Episode: Pie in the Sky

Topping:

3 eggs

1/4 cup sugar

1 cup light corn syrup

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Pie:

1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, room temperature

1/3 cup sugar

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 egg

1 un-baked deep-dish (9-inch) pie shell

1 1/4 cups chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Combine all topping ingredients in a medium bowl. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, mix cream cheese, sugar, salt, vanilla, and egg until combined. Pour into pie shell. Top with chopped pecans. Pour topping over pecans. Bake for 45 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Or if you prefer chocolate (like me) this one's pretty simple, but I prefer butter over margarine:

Chocolate Pecan Pie Recipe courtesy Jean Anderson

Show: Cooking Live

Episode: All American Foods: Kentucky Derby

4 ounces semisweet chocolate

2 tablespoons margarine, melted

3 eggs

1/3 cup sugar

1 cup corn syrup (light or dark)

1 1/4 cups pecan halves

1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell, homemade or frozen

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a double boiler melt chocolate and margarine. Let cool slightly. Beat eggs lightly in medium bowl. Add sugar, corn syrup, chocolate mixture, and vanilla; stir until well blended. Mix in pecans.

Set pie shell on heavy-duty baking sheet and pour in filling. Bake 50 to 55 minutes, until knife inserted midway between center and rim comes out clean.

Cool pie on wire rack to room temperature before cutting.

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline
I haven't been around much lately, but enjoying this thread. Here's what I'm bringing:

Artichoke & Green Bean Casserole

serves ~16

4 cans french cut green beans, drained

2 -14 oz can's artichoke hearts, drained & chopped

1/4 C olive oil,

1 C mixed Romano/Parmesan cheese.

2 C Italian bread crumbs

garlic powder to taste

Combine & bake in a greased 10x13 dish for about 40 min @ 350.

*and* I'll be making a Carrot/Apple Pie w/ Ginger spice. It's yummy & not your usual apple pie.

Thanks for posting this recipe. It looked so good to my mom and I that we decided we had to try it tomorrow. :)

Except half the recipe, since there's only 4 of us!!

Whoever requested the pecan pie recipe, I've used the recipe from The Joy of Cooking with great results. The compliments I got were from dedicated pecan pie lovers.

If you don't have the cookbook and want the recipe then let me know and I'll post it (if it's not too late!).

Allah tries his chosen people through many hardships, but those who persevere through adversity, surrendering themselves before the will of Allah, shall be blessed with a superb reward.

-The Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reported by Anas bin Malik

A time will come when the sky is torn apart; when the stars scatter, and the ocean drains away; and when the graves are tossed about, and laid open. At that time every man will be told what he has done, and what he has failed to do; and every woman will be told what she has done, and what she has failed to do.

-Qur'an, Al-Infitar, Surah 82:1-5

Filed: Other Country: Egypt
Timeline
I haven't been around much lately, but enjoying this thread. Here's what I'm bringing:

Artichoke & Green Bean Casserole

serves ~16

4 cans french cut green beans, drained

2 -14 oz can's artichoke hearts, drained & chopped

1/4 C olive oil,

1 C mixed Romano/Parmesan cheese.

2 C Italian bread crumbs

garlic powder to taste

Combine & bake in a greased 10x13 dish for about 40 min @ 350.

*and* I'll be making a Carrot/Apple Pie w/ Ginger spice. It's yummy & not your usual apple pie.

Thanks for posting this recipe. It looked so good to my mom and I that we decided we had to try it tomorrow. :)

Except half the recipe, since there's only 4 of us!!

Whoever requested the pecan pie recipe, I've used the recipe from The Joy of Cooking with great results. The compliments I got were from dedicated pecan pie lovers.

If you don't have the cookbook and want the recipe then let me know and I'll post it (if it's not too late!).

Please post it :D , it's never too late! :thumbs:

eg-flag1-ss.gifAkramheartbeat.gifAyeshapr-flag1-ss.gif

th_CIMG0624.jpg

Filed: Other Country: Egypt
Timeline
Hum I'm gona have what ever they serve on the plane. But all these recipes look so good.

ohhhhhhhhh Cheryl that's rightttt, you're travelling tomorrow right? :dance:

I wish you a safe and wonderful trip!! :luv: Say hello to the Nile for me!

Hugs,

Ayesha (F)

eg-flag1-ss.gifAkramheartbeat.gifAyeshapr-flag1-ss.gif

th_CIMG0624.jpg

LaL... i made the pumpkin butter cake (or pumpkin gooey cake as paula deen calls it) yesterday and it was AMAZING. even better than pumpkin pie. yummmmmmmmmmm! thanks for posting!

Woooo! Im glad it was a success! I actually edited the post after I remembered last year I made the cake with the full amount of sugar. In my opinion, it just comes out waaay too sweet, so I edited it down to 1/2 a box. But yup! This is the Paula Deen Gooey Cake. :dance::dance::dance:

*drools*

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

thats funny you said that....a few people commented that it was too sweet (but me loving things like baklava and other extremely sweet desserts ; it didn't bother me!)

next time i'll try 1/2 a box and i'm sure it will be amazing as well! i'll never go back to pumpkin pie. :D

ps. i want to try the peanut butter/chocolate version too! did you try that one? yum!!

Edited by sereia

"It's far better to be alone than wish you were." - Ann Landers

world-map.jpg

thats funny you said that....a few people commented that it was too sweet (but me loving things like baklava and other extremely sweet desserts ; it didn't bother me!)

next time i'll try 1/2 a box and i'm sure it will be amazing as well! i'll never go back to pumpkin pie. :D

ps. i want to try the peanut butter/chocolate version too! did you try that one? yum!!

Yummmm.. no, I haven't tried it, only because the only time I think of this recipe is during Thanksgiving! It really is a must-try though.

I too, won't ever go back to pumpkin pie, although, I could use some pointers on butter substitute - there is just waaaay too much (we got sugar covered!)

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

Alright, better late than never? :D

Pecan Pie (from Joy of Cooking)

This makes a 9 inch single crust pie.

(I'm posting the filling ingredients only.)

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.

Line a pan with a pie dough and bake it only partially, from 5 to 7 minutes.

Allow it to cool.

Reduce oven temperature to 375 degreed F.

Combine and beat thoroughly:

3 eggs

1 cup sugar

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/3 cup melted butter

1 cup light corn syrup

Stir in:

1 cup pecan halves

1 teaspoon vanilla

Fill the shell. Bake the pie for 40 or 50 minutes at 375 degrees F or until a knife inserted in the filling comes out clean. Serve warm or cold.

We had a pumpkin pie from Costco at Thanksgiving and it was sooo yummy! I love trying new things but there's nothing like a simple pumpkin pie. :luv:

Edited by melly

Allah tries his chosen people through many hardships, but those who persevere through adversity, surrendering themselves before the will of Allah, shall be blessed with a superb reward.

-The Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reported by Anas bin Malik

A time will come when the sky is torn apart; when the stars scatter, and the ocean drains away; and when the graves are tossed about, and laid open. At that time every man will be told what he has done, and what he has failed to do; and every woman will be told what she has done, and what she has failed to do.

-Qur'an, Al-Infitar, Surah 82:1-5

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.