Southern_Canadian

Need help with K1-Visa papers

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello there. I'm fairly new to this website. I've been looking through the discussions to help me with filing for the K-1 Visa/ I-129F. I am from Canada and my fiance is from the US. I am gathering all of the info together for him just because I am the organized one of the two and I have more time to sit down and look into everything.

I have a few questions and was hoping that someone could help me out.

1- For form I-129F Petition for Alien Fiance question #18, they want me to describe the circumstances under which we met. My fiance and I met on the internet. Now, I intend to tell the complete truth as to how we met but I was just wondering if they will look at us differently because of how we met. Also, how much in detail do they want me to describe? Such as, we started messaging each other, then talked on phone then met in person on such date?

2- They want proof of having met in person in the last two years. Now, I have tons of pictures but I read somewhere that they only want pictures within 30 days of filing for the Visa. Is that true? Can I send pictures from the first time we met which is about 2 years ago? Can I send pictures from when I was there for 3 month about 2 months ago?

Also, I have cell phone bills to show that we talked to each other on the phone. The problem is, I use a calling card to call him to avoid the expensive long distance charges. I have highlighted the long distance number. But how will I be able to prove to them that I was calling him? One more thing, before I went to the US to visit him for 3 months, I had a different cell phone number and cancelled it. I still have cell bills from that phone with proof that I called the long distance calling card. Now, should I show statements from my old and new cell phones?

3- My fiance is coming to visit me right before he applies for the visa so, we will use his plane ticket as proof in the I-129F Visa. Now, when I go see him in Dec, will I use that plane ticket as proof when going to my interview?

4- When the interview time comes around, I read that I will need to provide information of my fiance's bank statements and investments. But, my fiance doesn't deal with a bank and doesn't have any investments. How can we show that he can support me if needed? Should he just open a bank account right now and deposit money in it and get a record of the statement? How much is a good amount to show that he could support me? Would it be best to get his parents to be another "sponsor" for me?

Also, as for the Money order to pay for the Visa processing. My fiance usually goes to a Wal Mart to get a money order. Is that suffient? I have a bank account in Canada. Could I wrote a personal check for the filing of the I-129F Visa? Or do they want my fiance's name to be on the check or money order?

5- For the G-325A form, my fiance has moved around a lot within the past few years. But got his mail sent to his parents house to avoid having to change his address all of the time. Should we include all of the places that he lived/ stayed at? Or just include the ones that he was at for a longer period of time?

For the same G-325A form, I was unemployed for 2 months this past Januray. Do they want me to include that in the form?

6- When is the best time to do the medical exam? Would it be a good idea to meet with my Doctor in advance to make sure that I am up to date on everything and to make the medical exam go much faster?

7- I heard that I will be required to do a test of some sort to show that I know things about the US. Is that true?!

On a side note, when I went to visit my fiance back in June, I was rejected because they thought that I was fleeing my country. They put it itno the system so, that a red flag would pop up if I was to ever try to cross the border without proper documents to show that I have ties to my country and plan to reurn. Luckily, I was able to find enough documents and was allowed entrance into the US for a max of 3 months. I came back to Canada within my time frame to avoid any complications when applying for the K-1 Visa. I was just wondering if all of this will affect our application process?

Sorry that I have so many questions. I just want to make sure that I fill all of this out correctly to avoid any complications. Thanks to anyone who has any answers for me!

Welcome to VJ :)

Don't forget to :time: when the time is ready to let others help you.

You have asked a lot of questions, I'll attempt to answer them.

Don't forget to check out the K1 Guides to help you step by step on how to file. Also the K1 Flowchart is a great tool for seeing an estimated time line of the process.

1- For form I-129F Petition for Alien Fiance question #18, they want me to describe the circumstances under which we met. My fiance and I met on the internet. Now, I intend to tell the complete truth as to how we met but I was just wondering if they will look at us differently because of how we met. Also, how much in detail do they want me to describe? Such as, we started messaging each other, then talked on phone then met in person on such date?

Many people meet on the internet. That is how I met my sweetie and how thousands of others have as well. Just explain how you met, you'll be fine.

2- They want proof of having met in person in the last two years. Now, I have tons of pictures but I read somewhere that they only want pictures within 30 days of filing for the Visa. Is that true? Can I send pictures from the first time we met which is about 2 years ago? Can I send pictures from when I was there for 3 month about 2 months ago?

I have never heard of the 30 days before filing rule. They want proof that you have met in the past two years. So send pictures from that time (3 to 5), boarding passes, photocopied stamps from your passport, car rental receipts, hotel reservations, etc to show proof of being in the same country as your fiance within the last 2 years. Remember, you have to have met in the past two years from filing..if it's more than that and you haven't seen each other since then, you'll have to meet again and have proof of that meeting.

Also, I have cell phone bills to show that we talked to each other on the phone. The problem is, I use a calling card to call him to avoid the expensive long distance charges. I have highlighted the long distance number. But how will I be able to prove to them that I was calling him? One more thing, before I went to the US to visit him for 3 months, I had a different cell phone number and cancelled it. I still have cell bills from that phone with proof that I called the long distance calling card. Now, should I show statements from my old and new cell phones?

You don't really need cell phone bills until the interview, but some people do send them with the initial package. He can give you a copy of his phone bill which shows his name and telephone number on it, which shows that you were calling him.

3- My fiance is coming to visit me right before he applies for the visa so, we will use his plane ticket as proof in the I-129F Visa. Now, when I go see him in Dec, will I use that plane ticket as proof when going to my interview?

Sure, you need to show an on-going relationship from the time you filed to the interview, so that would work fine :)

4- When the interview time comes around, I read that I will need to provide information of my fiance's bank statements and investments. But, my fiance doesn't deal with a bank and doesn't have any investments. How can we show that he can support me if needed? Should he just open a bank account right now and deposit money in it and get a record of the statement? How much is a good amount to show that he could support me? Would it be best to get his parents to be another "sponsor" for me?

Your fiance must make 125% above the poverty level. Click here for a chart of what 125% of that level is. He has to fill out an affidavit of support and get a letter from his employer.

Also, as for the Money order to pay for the Visa processing. My fiance usually goes to a Wal Mart to get a money order. Is that suffient? I have a bank account in Canada. Could I wrote a personal check for the filing of the I-129F Visa? Or do they want my fiance's name to be on the check or money order?

I would have your fiance send the check in himself, after all, he is filing for you. Usually people send in personal check's but in his situation, I think the money order will be ok....I'm sure someone else will correct me if I'm wrong. :)

5- For the G-325A form, my fiance has moved around a lot within the past few years. But got his mail sent to his parents house to avoid having to change his address all of the time. Should we include all of the places that he lived/ stayed at? Or just include the ones that he was at for a longer period of time?

Check out the G-325A form that you both have to fill out, it asks that you list all the addresses you lived in the last 5 years. There should be no gaps.

For the same G-325A form, I was unemployed for 2 months this past Januray. Do they want me to include that in the form?

Again, just fill it out.

6- When is the best time to do the medical exam? Would it be a good idea to meet with my Doctor in advance to make sure that I am up to date on everything and to make the medical exam go much faster?

The medical exam is awhile down the road. Usually you can't even book the medical until you have the interview letter.

7- I heard that I will be required to do a test of some sort to show that I know things about the US. Is that true?!

On a side note, when I went to visit my fiance back in June, I was rejected because they thought that I was fleeing my country. They put it itno the system so, that a red flag would pop up if I was to ever try to cross the border without proper documents to show that I have ties to my country and plan to reurn. Luckily, I was able to find enough documents and was allowed entrance into the US for a max of 3 months. I came back to Canada within my time frame to avoid any complications when applying for the K-1 Visa. I was just wondering if all of this will affect our application process?

It shouldn't effect your petition.

Sorry that I have so many questions. I just want to make sure that I fill all of this out correctly to avoid any complications. Thanks to anyone who has any answers for me!

Whew! Next time try to ask separate questions...lol not everyone would try to answer all of these at once!!

Best of luck to you

~Laura

Edited by ~Laura and Nick~

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Timeline

Thank you so much for your help.

Sorry for asking so many questions. It's just that as I was going over everything, I made a list of questions and thought it would be easier to ask them all at once rather than forget some.

As for my timeline, I will update that in about a weeks time, when he goes back to the US and mails the package.

Again, thank you very much for your help! :D

Sorry for asking so many questions. It's just that as I was going over everything, I made a list of questions and thought it would be easier to ask them all at once rather than forget some.

As for my timeline, I will update that in about a weeks time, when he goes back to the US and mails the package.

LOL no problem..I didn't mind answering them ;)

Oh and one more thing about question 6, you may need some updated vaccinations that you can get prior to the appointment.

CLICK HERE for all the information about the Medical Exam....

Best of luck :)

Edited by ~Laura and Nick~

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Filed: Timeline

about the money order for the application fee u can buy money order from one tof he banks even here in canada it is accepted by uscis,i bought one from RBC bank here and it was cashed. for i-130

Filed: Timeline
Hello there. I'm fairly new to this website. I've been looking through the discussions to help me with filing for the K-1 Visa/ I-129F. I am from Canada and my fiance is from the US. I am gathering all of the info together for him just because I am the organized one of the two and I have more time to sit down and look into everything.

I have a few questions and was hoping that someone could help me out.

about the 30 days picture, i guess u re talking about the photograph passport for the application,it says it should be taking 30 days prior the filling of the application, not the pictures for the evidence

about the 30 days picture, i guess u re talking about the photograph passport for the application,it says it should be taking 30 days prior the filling of the application, not the pictures for the evidence

Ah yes, this makes more sense! :)

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

If your fiance makes above the minimum requirements to sponsor his household size (most likely the two of you) there isn't need to show investments or bank statements, only tax returns from the past three recent years.

If he doesn't make above the requirements, then it's time to get a sponsor. His parents will suffice if they meet the sufficient income levels for their household.

You'll be asked to do the medical exam once your petition is approved. The results are taken with you to the consulate for your interview. Keep in mind that it will be done by a USCIS-approved panel physician and not your family doctor. The only thing you can prep in advance are your vaccinations. Check this page for a list of age-appropriate vaccinations which you will need. While you technically won't need them until your adjustment of status application (far, far down the road...) it's recommended that you do them now, as they're cheaper to do in Canada (free, really!) than in the US.

Hell no! Maybe for citizenship, but not for this visa. They make us jump through enough hoops. :lol:

Edited by Nini & Bee

Nini - Vancouver BC, Canada (she's the one who does the forum thing)

Bee - Devon PA, USA (he's the one who gave her the shiny ring)

Getting our sanity tested by bureaucracy since 2007.

Here we go again...

Removal of conditions @ VSC

9/4/2010 - sent!

9/14/2010 - NOA

Hell no! Maybe for citizenship, but not for this visa. They make us jump through enough hoops. :lol:

WOAH! I totally missed that part of the question!!!

Sheesh, if that was the case, I'd be screwed :lol:

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Timeline

How do I find out which banks the USCIS will accept a money order from? Would they accept one from Wal Mart? LOL Sorry, but he has gotten money orders from them before when paying for things.

Timeline

Thanks everyone for your help... Things are starting to make more sense.

I would so, fail if I had to know stuff about the States.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Hungary
Timeline
Thanks everyone for your help... Things are starting to make more sense.

I would so, fail if I had to know stuff about the States.

Looks like all of your questions have been answered. I would like to wish you the best of luck!

Our Relationship

(09-27-06)Met in Hungary

(11-25-06)Fell in Love

(11-24-07)Met again in Hungary

(02-19-08)Met again in Hungary

K1 Visa Petition

(09-27-07)Preparing to send K1 Petition

(12-03-07)K1 Petition Sent US Postal Service

(12-11-07)Received NOA 1

(12-28-07)Touched

(03-11-08)Recieved NOA 2

(03-21-08)Recieved at NVC

(03-27-08)Sent from NVC

(04-02-08)Received Packet 3

(04-27-08)Medical Completed

(05-15-08)Received Packet 4

(05-29-08)Interview Date

(05-29-08)Visa given 40 mins after approval

(06-02-08)Arrival at the JFK and EAD given

The reason so many people recommend a personal cheque is because you can get your USCIS case number from the back of the image of the cashed cheque. This is not always possible with a money order and USCIS are not always very prompt in providing you a case number to check your progress with.

17th March 2010 - Started the removal of conditions process

22nd March 2010 - Application received by CSC

30th April 2010 - Biometrics appointment

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.