Roger and Junhua

Hard questions about my divorce.

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I'm wondering if anyone can share their wisdom on my situation. Surely there are others who have approached the K1 and had to overcome some similar things. I realize there are some questions which will come up in the Guangzhou interview about my divorce so I'm going to get real and share our background with you guys. Thanks for your help!

In July 2006 my ex wife moved like 2000 miles from me and established her residence and told me she wanted a divorce. I got an attorney and started the process because she was committed to getting the divorce. I also found out she had a relationship going on with someone at her work so I gave her the divorce with no contest. It took us several months to agree how to divide up our stuff and to sell our house. At the time, was a full-time student in college and therefore didn't have much income to report in '06.

In November, a friend encouraged me to put my profile on one of these online dating sites kind of like eHarmony..he said i needed to look forward....haha...so I did and ended up meeting June. We wrote each other through January and then started talking over webcam. Our relationship grew strong as we spent HOURS talking about our shared interests, faith, travels abroad and our family backgrounds.

My uncontested divorce was final early February and I decided to fly to China for '07 Spring Festival and visit June and her family to see if she was for real. So, we actually met AFTER my divorce was final and we spent one month together. We decided to move forward with our relationship. In June, we engaged and filed our K1 knowing we would be engaged for about a year while we wait. Seemed like a reasonable time to get to know each other better. During the summer I worked in the U.S. then returned to China in August for a 3 month stay with her. I've been in China for a couple months now and I'm supposed to return to the U.S. in December to return to work (for a company based in China). I'm in good shape financially but my visa attorney suggested that I have my father fill out an affidavit of support as a co-sponsor.

I've read posts on VJ that lead me to believe my fiancee will have to explain how we met and answer hard questions about my divorce. Can anyone tell me how we can reduce our risk of screwing up our case?

Will my student status in '06 be a liability? Will the co-sponsor affidavit of support be sufficient evidence of support?

Any other observations on our situation are appreciated!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Yu and Dan always recommends that US-Chinese couples visit acandleforlove.com as this is a forum specifically dedicated to these couples, with lots of info on how to prepare for this tough consulate.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Yu and Dan always recommends that US-Chinese couples visit acandleforlove.com as this is a forum specifically dedicated to these couples, with lots of info on how to prepare for this tough consulate.

It's candleforlove.com, not acandle... http://www.candleforlove.com

Your fiance should be prepared to answer direct questions about your divorce honestly if the subject does come up. From what you write, her honest answers will be no problem. Your two extended trips to China to be with her will be significant in showing a bona fide relationship, so I don't see a worry.

A simple answer that shows she knows your X's name and a short statement about when and why you divorced will be sufficient, if the question comes up at all.

If your 2007 income is sufficient alone, no need for a joint sponsor but even if not, several months of current employment well about the required minimum will probably be sufficient too. Just document it with an employer letter and recent pay stubs. An affidavit from a joint sponsor in the back pocket, if needed, would be good insurance.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.