BrandyMac

Newly Married and stressed over paperwork

23 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

My Name is Brandy and I am American, my husband Jason is Canadian.

We were married in April of 06 and it was very unexpected, he came down for his birthday and we ended up getting married with a justice of peace.

We then went back and forth a couple of months until we discovered that I was pregnant and then he packed his clothes and moved down to TN to be with me. he has been here ever since. I have a very good job so it wasnt a rush to get his papers done b/c I could support the both of us, now that our baby is born we would like to start his papers. everytime I start I get overwhelmed. :o

Problem. He did not come here on any sort of status .. he lived in Windsor which is like 15 minutes from Detroit and you are allowed to cross the border without any papers or passports. The majority of the time the border folks do not even record your crossing in the computer. So I do not believe I can adjust status if there isnt a status to adjust. Some of the papers need proof of crossing, but the border doesnt show an accurate record of crossing. What do I do?

Can anyone sort of lead me in the right direction, maybe tell me its not as hard as I am thinking. :help::help:

I'm unsure whether there is anything special in place for a Canadian citizen, but for a person from any other country, the following would apply:-

We were married in April of 06 and it was very unexpected, he came down for his birthday and we ended up getting married with a justice of peace.

As you married on the spur of the moment, and marriage was not the intention at the time your husband entered the States, your husband could have stayed in the US and adjusted status from that visit.

However, you say that since then he (or you both) have gone backwards and forwards between Canada and the US. From what you said about his last entry, you were married and it sounds as though the intention was to stay permanently with you. This may make this a case where you cannot adjust status in the US and your husband must adjust status from within Canada.

Hopefully others will be able to clarify further, as this is a bit out of my knowledge range.

Cheryl

06/2005 Met Josh online ~ 02/2006 My 1st visit to the US ~ 09/2006 2nd US visit (Josh proposed) ~ 02/2007 3rd US visit (married)

04/2007 K3 visa applied ~ 05/2007 Josh's 1st UK visit ~ 09/2007 4th US visit ~ 02/2008 K3 visa completed ~ 02/2008 US entry

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

04/2008 AOS/EAD filed ~ 05/2008 Biometrics ~ 06/2008 EAD recv'd ~ 08/2008 Conditional greencard

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

02/2010 3rd wedding anniversary ~ 06/04/2010 Apply for lifting conditions ~ 06/14 package delivered ~ 07/23 Biometrics

I'm unsure whether there is anything special in place for a Canadian citizen, but for a person from any other country, the following would apply:-

As you married on the spur of the moment, and marriage was not the intention at the time your husband entered the States, your husband could have stayed in the US and adjusted status from that visit.

However, you say that since then he (or you both) have gone backwards and forwards between Canada and the US. From what you said about his last entry, you were married and it sounds as though the intention was to stay permanently with you. This may make this a case where you cannot adjust status in the US and your husband must adjust status from within Canada.

Hopefully others will be able to clarify further, as this is a bit out of my knowledge range.

What you've said is correct on the whole. The only thing is that there isn't any adjustment of status within another country - what he needs is to do is get a visa in Vancouver or Montreal and then return to the US. If he gets a K3 visa, he would adjust status in the US. If he gets the CR1 visa, no adjustment of status will be needed. :)

Edited by MargotDarko

My Crafting Blog - On a Roll - Blogspot

3179788211_95b93e62af_t.jpg3179788215_6a1e497e9b_t.jpg3165849344_f296789fd3_t.jpg

US Immigration Timeline

-------------------------

24 Feb 2007 - Sent I-130 to London USCIS office (I'm the petitioner)

25 May 2007 - NOA2

2 June 2007 - Received Packet 3

12 Oct 2007 - Sent Packet 3 back by special delivery

5 Nov 2007 - Interview in London - Approved without any hitches!

7 Nov 2007 - Visa and MBE arrived by SMS! :)

30 Jan 2008 - Fly to Michigan!! :)

*Note: Any delays in our case are only due to us taking things slowly

My Name is Brandy and I am American, my husband Jason is Canadian.

We then went back and forth a couple of months until we discovered that I was pregnant and then he packed his clothes and moved down to TN to be with me. he has been here ever since. I have a very good job so it wasnt a rush to get his papers done b/c I could support the both of us, now that our baby is born we would like to start his papers. everytime I start I get overwhelmed. :o

Problem. He did not come here on any sort of status .. he lived in Windsor which is like 15 minutes from Detroit and you are allowed to cross the border without any papers or passports. The majority of the time the border folks do not even record your crossing in the computer. So I do not believe I can adjust status if there isnt a status to adjust. Some of the papers need proof of crossing, but the border doesnt show an accurate record of crossing. What do I do?

Can anyone sort of lead me in the right direction, maybe tell me its not as hard as I am thinking. :help::help:

Unfortunately, it is hard as you are thinking (well perhaps not the forms themselves but the overall process) and takes a very long time. :(

First, you need to file the I-130 petition, which will result in a CR1 visa if you follow just that path. If you also want to go for a K3 visa for him, you need to file the I-129f as well. As it sounds like time is more of a concern than cost, I think you should go for the K3 visa - you'll get the interview several months quicker in Montreal than if he went for the CR1 visa.

However, I think with the baby on the way, you should first try a consultation with a lawyer. He or she may be able to tell you things we cannot on this board.

3179788211_95b93e62af_t.jpg3179788215_6a1e497e9b_t.jpg3165849344_f296789fd3_t.jpg

US Immigration Timeline

25 May 2007 - NOA2

Filed: Other Timeline

What was the date of his last entry to the US? Has he been here more than 6 months this trip? Has he been working illegally, or just sitting warming the couch?

If he returns to Canada to wait out the process for K3 or CR1, then he'll be gone for about a year, give or take a month or 2 or 6. And may or may not be able to visit during that wait time.

Trying to adjust status from visitor status (that is is official status) when upon his last entry he had intent to stay indefinitely could be tricky. Definitely speak with a knowledgable immigration lawyer, they'll usually consult for a nominal fee. Your best bet may just be for him to stay and adjust, but it still may be a long while before he can work.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Your best bet may just be for him to stay and adjust, but it still may be a long while before he can work.

We shouldn't be saying this as she's already revealed that upon his last entry he had intent to immigrate which means that trying to adjust status now is immigration fraud really. They should consult a good immigration lawyer about it.

Edited by MargotDarko

US Immigration Timeline

25 May 2007 - NOA2

Say for instance his border didnt keep a record of him crossing, even though he has no prior visas or anything like that basically no status other then visitor, can I adjust his status?

The answers you have had were not based on his status, they were based on the intent to stay permanently on his last entry. A visitor coming into the US with the intent to stay is visa fraud (although no visa existed in this situation, so is sketchy).

Even if you were able to file from his current (unknown) status, if USCIS got wind that he came to the US with the intent to stay permanently, then he would be looking at a ban from entering the US.

Cheryl

06/2005 Met Josh online ~ 02/2006 My 1st visit to the US ~ 09/2006 2nd US visit (Josh proposed) ~ 02/2007 3rd US visit (married)

04/2007 K3 visa applied ~ 05/2007 Josh's 1st UK visit ~ 09/2007 4th US visit ~ 02/2008 K3 visa completed ~ 02/2008 US entry

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

04/2008 AOS/EAD filed ~ 05/2008 Biometrics ~ 06/2008 EAD recv'd ~ 08/2008 Conditional greencard

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

02/2010 3rd wedding anniversary ~ 06/04/2010 Apply for lifting conditions ~ 06/14 package delivered ~ 07/23 Biometrics

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
Say for instance his border didnt keep a record of him crossing, even though he has no prior visas or anything like that basically no status other then visitor, can I adjust his status?

I read your post last night, but didn't want to reply till I spoke to my friend from Windsor who also entered thru Detroit. He had the same scenario as you. Since many laws have changed you may want to consult with an immigration lawyer. What he told me was he had to be in the USA for one year and then he filed for an I-94 and Adjustment of status. He also came here without a visa and said he had no problems, except for a long wait in the INS line. As I've said, maybe the laws have changed since then, but it worked for him.

Brandy - Please have a consultation with a lawyer. It's murky terriority we're treading into here and I don't want you guys to be led astray.

US Immigration Timeline

25 May 2007 - NOA2

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I read your post last night, but didn't want to reply till I spoke to my friend from Windsor who also entered thru Detroit. He had the same scenario as you. Since many laws have changed you may want to consult with an immigration lawyer. What he told me was he had to be in the USA for one year and then he filed for an I-94 and Adjustment of status. He also came here without a visa and said he had no problems, except for a long wait in the INS line. As I've said, maybe the laws have changed since then, but it worked for him.

Really? that would be awesome! He has been here for over a year now. I just scheduled a meeting with InfoPass in Memphis TN for next week, so I will ask them my questions and see what they reccomend.

Timeline

Really? that would be awesome! He has been here for over a year now. I just scheduled a meeting with InfoPass in Memphis TN for next week, so I will ask them my questions and see what they reccomend.

That is a good idea. Like I said, this was quite awhile ago and these laws seem to change all the time. At least you'll know exactly what to do. Good luck

Timeline

That is a good idea. Like I said, this was quite awhile ago and these laws seem to change all the time. At least you'll know exactly what to do. Good luck

Let me add, my friend did hire an immigration lawyer. It may be a good idea to at least have a consultation . I have read stories here where immigration has told people to return to thier countries and wait for the paperwork.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi Brandy,

I agree with Margot that you should at least have a consultation with an immigration attorney.

You might also want to check out this thread from the Canadian forum, might shed some more light on it for you:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=94085

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Filed: Other Timeline

the difference between those two scenarios however is that the couple is not yet married, and planning on the Canadian crossing the border to get married and stay. Which as we all know is not entirely legal nor advisable due to potentially being denied AOS and deported, and I personally would never advise anyone to do that. THIS couple here however was already married, the Canadian returned to Canada and then found out his wife was pregnant so he returned to the US and stayed. Also illegal, but if he leaves the US he will definitely be barred upon trying to re-enter and won't be seeing his wife and kid for a very very long time. If he stays to adjust status, their chances are better of overcoming the overstay with the help of an immigration lawyer who has experience with this.

Probably 8 times out of 10, if the marriage is deemed to be genuine, AOS is granted. If he leaves however, he'll be gone for a long long time. Unable to see his family unless they can go up to Canada to visit him.

He still runs the risk of not being able to work for several more months, (but I'm assuming he hasn't been working during this past year anyhow) not being granted AP, and of being denied adjustment. At least he'll be with his new baby until then. And if needed, they can look into the Canadian immigration process in the meantime, just in case.

Recently there was a Can/Am couple on another forum that I frequent where they went down to Arizona to visit her US family and then decided to stay. He (the Canadian) successfully adjusted status based on their marriage, which took place in Canada and where they had been living for like 8 years prior to their vacation.

Forewarned is forearmed. What he did was not really smart and I wouldn't recommend that anyone do it. But its already done and if he wants to stay with his wife and kid, then applying for Adjustment now is probably the way to go, with the help of a knowledgable lawyer.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.