Chica Yeyé

The in-laws from heck

118 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I wasn't really maki

I figured not, I've just had bad experiences with people mocking my husband's 'espanish' and the like, so I couldn't help myself :P

My mom hasn't spoken with certain members of the family for years, suffers from mental illness. People, including family, can drive your crazy with crazyness if you don't put bondaries and limits on them intruding into your life that way. Once you find someone normal to spend your life with you want to hold onto it. I think the older you get the less patience you have for crazyness and foolishness.

Dale

03-30-07 I-129F Mailed

04-09-07 NOA 1

07-27-07 Touched

07-28-07 Received NOA2 approval email

08-06-07 Received letter from NVC

08-20-07 Fiance received Packet 3

08-22-07 Packet 3 sent to Montreal

09-17-07 Emailed Montreal to confirm forms were received

09-18-07 Received email form Montreal with interview date - November 7!!!!

09-19-07 Medical

09-24-07 Received Packet 4

11-07-07 Interview- Approved!!

11-13-07 Received Visa

11-15-07 Dale missed flight to TN due to Customs! :0

11-16-07 Dale flys to TN (take two)

11-30-07 Received SSN

12-08-07 Married

12-23-07 Mailed AOS Package

01-05-08 NOA 1 for AOS

01-17-08 Obtained Tennessee Drivers License

01-18-08 Biometrics for AOS

01-22-08 Notice of AOS transfer to California Service Center

02-20-08 EAD Approved

03-10-08 AOS approved..Welcome to the USA letter received

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My in-laws are great! My ex's family was all screwed up, she was the only normal one,lol. Brother was a druggy, sister was screwed in the head, parents were so so!! Her father cut his hand really bad once, required to goto the hospital pronto--his wife would NOT take him, so he had to drive himself to the hospital,lol, wierd. But my wifes family are great, get along well.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
My in-laws are great! My ex's family was all screwed up, she was the only normal one,lol. Brother was a druggy, sister was screwed in the head, parents were so so!! Her father cut his hand really bad once, required to goto the hospital pronto--his wife would NOT take him, so he had to drive himself to the hospital,lol, wierd. But my wifes family are great, get along well.

Just retired as a Police officer so you get to see everyone at their low points and shattered lives...disorders and craziness. You can see how someone is raised really can have a negative influence if they can't break away from it. People often repeat the same patterns in life. Glad to hear your wife's family seems normal. I certainly don't judge others, or think I am perfect either however people with certain disorders can drive others over the edge, their loved ones become the caretakers.

03-30-07 I-129F Mailed

04-09-07 NOA 1

07-27-07 Touched

07-28-07 Received NOA2 approval email

08-06-07 Received letter from NVC

08-20-07 Fiance received Packet 3

08-22-07 Packet 3 sent to Montreal

09-17-07 Emailed Montreal to confirm forms were received

09-18-07 Received email form Montreal with interview date - November 7!!!!

09-19-07 Medical

09-24-07 Received Packet 4

11-07-07 Interview- Approved!!

11-13-07 Received Visa

11-15-07 Dale missed flight to TN due to Customs! :0

11-16-07 Dale flys to TN (take two)

11-30-07 Received SSN

12-08-07 Married

12-23-07 Mailed AOS Package

01-05-08 NOA 1 for AOS

01-17-08 Obtained Tennessee Drivers License

01-18-08 Biometrics for AOS

01-22-08 Notice of AOS transfer to California Service Center

02-20-08 EAD Approved

03-10-08 AOS approved..Welcome to the USA letter received

I just found out my MIL grills my son when I am not around, asking him tons of questions like what how I feel about things, or what I say about her. :lol:

Oh that's not right...... :angry: She really makes me mad!!!

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2faws.gif+3dflags-canqc1-1.gif3Dflags

Removal of Conditions: GC received on 09/17/2009

Application to replace permanent resident cards filed 3/30/2019 (I-90)

Now I feel totally bad for ragging on my MIL... yesterday she came in to talk to me about my student loans. She basically told me that they wanted to help me pay for them if I wasn't going to have my EAD by the time my six-month grace period ends in March. I was like, "...I feel so bad for hating on you sometimes!" (L)

Awww.

If it's anything like our process, you'll be getting the AOS in no time! (Before the EAD even.)

Uhm...husband's mother is very overbearing to put it politely. I like the woman - we have a lot in common and she goes out of her way to be nice to me - but she snaps at everyone in the family & is always so stressed out. I come from a very dysfunctional family myself, and the tension of being in the house with his family is almost too much for me. His mom is always snapping at his poor hen-pecked dad; and his sisters are always screaming at each other and at his mom. (One time his mom had to go to a motel to get away from his sisters!)

Anyway. Okay. His mom. It's our first Christmas as a married couple and she's flying him back home for it! On top of making for a lonely Christmas, there's no way that he'll get hired for a quickie retail job to bring in a couple of bucks (we need the money) because he'll be gone for the week around Christmas. She's also the one who insisted on using her air miles to fly down to see us sign the marriage documents at the courthouse. This made it impossible for us to file before the fee increases...

I guess the whole thing would be moot except that she keeps hinting at my husband to find a job. We delayed filing for her and now that he has his green card, his job chances are significantly narrowed because she wants him home for Christmas!

I find this really odd? His Mom is flying HIM home for Christmas in Canada? And this is your first Christmas as a married couple?? What about you? Are you going also? I'm going to hold off and bite my tongue until I read something more about this...don't want to jump to any conclusions! I'm confused...

Carla (F)

carlahmsb4.gif

I find this really odd? His Mom is flying HIM home for Christmas in Canada? And this is your first Christmas as a married couple?? What about you? Are you going also? I'm going to hold off and bite my tongue until I read something more about this...don't want to jump to any conclusions! I'm confused...

Carla (F)

Ditto here :blink:

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2faws.gif+3dflags-canqc1-1.gif3Dflags

Removal of Conditions: GC received on 09/17/2009

Application to replace permanent resident cards filed 3/30/2019 (I-90)

• 3 weeks later...

I'm WAY late to this party, aren't I?

Réjean's mother only speaks French, so I can't really talk to her very well yet. His father is deceased, so I'll never get to know him. It makes me kind of sad sometimes, since I'm extremely close to my own family and would love to be close to his, too.

08/25/06 - 08/08/07 - K1 timeframe from mailing the petition to the NSC to K1 approval at the Montréal Consulate

08/31/07 - Réjean makes the big move to the USA

09/22/07 - MARRIED!

10/09/07 - Réjean gets his SSN

Adjustment of status:

10/26/07 - Mailed AOS/EAD/AP

11/23/07 - Biometrics appointment

12/14/07 - I-485 transferred to the California Service Center

12/28/07 - EAD approved!

01/07/08 - EAD received

02/08/08 - GREEN CARD APPROVED!!!!!!

02/16/08 - Green card received!

*headdesk*:

01/02/09 - Réjean loses his wallet containing his drivers license, Social Security card, and green card

02/04/09 - Our best friends bail us out by giving us the money to file for the replacement green card!

02/12/09 - E-filed I-90 for the replacement green card along with the $370 filing fee (including biometrics)

02/19/09 - NOA1

02/25/09 - Biometrics appointment

05/01/09 - Replacement green card received

Removal of conditions:

01/07/10: Mailed I-751 packet by overnight mail to the CSC

01/11/10: I-751 packet delivered and signed for

01/19/10: Received NOA1

01/28/10: Biometrics (did walk-in due to Réjean being out on the road on original date of 02/10/10)

02/03/10: APPROVED!!!

02/05/10: Received e-mail from USCIS saying the card production has been ordered

02/06/10: Received letter typed on plain paper from USCIS congratulating Réjean on his removal of conditions approval

02/11/10: Green card received

Filed: Timeline

Réjean's mother only speaks French, so I can't really talk to her very well yet. His father is deceased, so I'll never get to know him. It makes me kind of sad sometimes, since I'm extremely close to my own family and would love to be close to his, too.

Ma cherie.... time to learn the language of luuuuuuuv he he.... Rejean can be your teacher!!!

Ma cherie.... time to learn the language of luuuuuuuv he he.... Rejean can be your teacher!!!

*LOL* Réjean has been taking great pleasure in teaching me nothing but the swear words thus far.

I took three and a half years of French class back in high school, so I'm lucky I don't have to start completely from scratch, hehe. I really want to take a class in it again since I learn best that way. Once Réjean gets his work permit and a job, I can afford to get out of my extremely stressful job and start taking lessons again.

08/25/06 - 08/08/07 - K1 timeframe from mailing the petition to the NSC to K1 approval at the Montréal Consulate

08/31/07 - Réjean makes the big move to the USA

09/22/07 - MARRIED!

10/09/07 - Réjean gets his SSN

Adjustment of status:

10/26/07 - Mailed AOS/EAD/AP

11/23/07 - Biometrics appointment

12/14/07 - I-485 transferred to the California Service Center

12/28/07 - EAD approved!

01/07/08 - EAD received

02/08/08 - GREEN CARD APPROVED!!!!!!

02/16/08 - Green card received!

*headdesk*:

01/02/09 - Réjean loses his wallet containing his drivers license, Social Security card, and green card

02/04/09 - Our best friends bail us out by giving us the money to file for the replacement green card!

02/12/09 - E-filed I-90 for the replacement green card along with the $370 filing fee (including biometrics)

02/19/09 - NOA1

02/25/09 - Biometrics appointment

05/01/09 - Replacement green card received

Removal of conditions:

01/07/10: Mailed I-751 packet by overnight mail to the CSC

01/11/10: I-751 packet delivered and signed for

01/19/10: Received NOA1

01/28/10: Biometrics (did walk-in due to Réjean being out on the road on original date of 02/10/10)

02/03/10: APPROVED!!!

02/05/10: Received e-mail from USCIS saying the card production has been ordered

02/06/10: Received letter typed on plain paper from USCIS congratulating Réjean on his removal of conditions approval

02/11/10: Green card received

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

*LOL* Réjean has been taking great pleasure in teaching me nothing but the swear words thus far.

I took three and a half years of French class back in high school, so I'm lucky I don't have to start completely from scratch, hehe. I really want to take a class in it again since I learn best that way. Once Réjean gets his work permit and a job, I can afford to get out of my extremely stressful job and start taking lessons again.

Hehehe....sounds like my husband. He's teaching me lots of things to say, so now I can cuss at my ex and he has no idea what I'm saying or calling him. I love it! :devil:

My husband is slowly working with me on learning French. You have an edge over me in that I only took one year of Spanish and that was way too many years ago. I figure by the time we're in a position to move home I'll have become somewhat proficient. At least I hope so. *crosses fingers*

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Filed: Timeline
Hehehe....sounds like my husband. He's teaching me lots of things to say, so now I can cuss at my ex and he has no idea what I'm saying or calling him. I love it! :devil:

My husband is slowly working with me on learning French. You have an edge over me in that I only took one year of Spanish and that was way too many years ago. I figure by the time we're in a position to move home I'll have become somewhat proficient. At least I hope so. *crosses fingers*

Sister, I am impressed... now that's honouring the inner b1tch we all have, he he :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:

Edited by Len_and_Bren

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.