kc4them

k3 as a refugee

18 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

as anyone succeed in getting k3 visa in canada as refugee claimant, with the open work permit issue to refugee and has been working for more than a year now, since i saw a post that montreal embassy ask for proof of legal status in canada for immigrant visa and not accept work permit issue to refugee in their requirement,does this apply to k3 visa too, since k3 says that u can only apply for the visa in country which the marriage took place. so i want to know if anyone has gone through this, for real he will be going through vancouver since he lives in calgary.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Chile
Timeline

I am confused... are you saying that you are a refugee residing in Canada and married to a USC and now want to do the K-3 to the U.S.? (Sorry, just trying to understand the question.)

My blog

10/01/2005: Married in Toronto

02/15/2006: Began Canadian Immigration

09/19/2007: Withdrew CIC application (they still hadn't processed anything)

10/01/2007: Moved back to U.S.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IR-1 application through Montreal Consulate

10/26/2007: I-130 mailed to CA Service Center

10/29/2007: USPS confirmation of receipt of I-130

02/13/2008: NOA-1 received (107 days)

07/02/2008: I-130 approved

07/22/2008: AOS filed including EAD and AP

07/25/2008: NOA-1s for all 3 received

08/20/2008: Biometrics appointment

08/22/2008: Received RFE for Affadivit of Support and Medical

10/21/2008: Submitted I-865W in lieu of co-sponsor and medical info to NSC

11/14/2008: online case status not updated since filing of AOS in July 2008

01/20/2009: Received another RFE for Affadavit of Support Info

02/02/2009: Responded to RFE with brand new AOS based on 2008 tax return (if that doesn't shut them up, dunno what will)

02/19/2009: EAD card received in mail (no updates on Online Case Status ever made)

02/23/2009: AP received (again, no online updates)

02/26/2009: Received interview appointment letter for 4/6/09

04/06/2009: AOS approved for unconditional GC

04/21/2009: GC received

Timeline
I am confused... are you saying that you are a refugee residing in Canada and married to a USC and now want to do the K-3 to the U.S.? (Sorry, just trying to understand the question.)

yeah u re right..........

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Chile
Timeline

I don't have personal experience but I believe you have to have legal status (does not include work permit) in Canada in order for your K-3 to be processed within Canada. If you are still in process as a refugee claimant in Canada, you would not be able to have your K-3 processed in Canada, you would have to have it processed in a country where you are a citizen or permanent resident.

Others can chime in if I am incorrect...

Edited by Delicia

My blog

10/01/2005: Married in Toronto

02/15/2006: Began Canadian Immigration

09/19/2007: Withdrew CIC application (they still hadn't processed anything)

10/01/2007: Moved back to U.S.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IR-1 application through Montreal Consulate

10/26/2007: I-130 mailed to CA Service Center

10/29/2007: USPS confirmation of receipt of I-130

02/13/2008: NOA-1 received (107 days)

07/02/2008: I-130 approved

07/22/2008: AOS filed including EAD and AP

07/25/2008: NOA-1s for all 3 received

08/20/2008: Biometrics appointment

08/22/2008: Received RFE for Affadivit of Support and Medical

10/21/2008: Submitted I-865W in lieu of co-sponsor and medical info to NSC

11/14/2008: online case status not updated since filing of AOS in July 2008

01/20/2009: Received another RFE for Affadavit of Support Info

02/02/2009: Responded to RFE with brand new AOS based on 2008 tax return (if that doesn't shut them up, dunno what will)

02/19/2009: EAD card received in mail (no updates on Online Case Status ever made)

02/23/2009: AP received (again, no online updates)

02/26/2009: Received interview appointment letter for 4/6/09

04/06/2009: AOS approved for unconditional GC

04/21/2009: GC received

Timeline
I don't have personal experience but I believe you have to have legal status (does not include work permit) in Canada in order for your K-3 to be processed within Canada. If you are still in process as a refugee claimant in Canada, you would not be able to have your K-3 processed in Canada, you would have to have it processed in a country where you are a citizen or permanent resident.

Others can chime in if I am incorrect...

since i applied for my permanent residence in canada already on humanitarian and compassionate after the refugee case was denied and is still in procesing, bcos that is the only option when refugee case is been denied, and working legally and paying tax, so i believe it could work, i guess uscis will foward the case to the country where u married i guess that is what uscis says.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
since i applied for my permanent residence in canada already on humanitarian and compassionate after the refugee case was denied and is still in procesing, bcos that is the only option when refugee case is been denied, and working legally and paying tax, so i believe it could work, i guess uscis will foward the case to the country where u married i guess that is what uscis says.

In order for you to interview in Canada you must have legal status that will allow you to stay at least 6 months. If you are unsure you can email the Montreal Consulate if that is where your interview would be taking place if allowed, or Vancouver if that is where you would be interviewing. Either way, I would recommend that you are very clear with them as to what your status is in Canada and if you aren't happy with the answer, email them again.

Montreal: Montreal-IV-DV@state.gov

Vancouver: vancouverK@state.gov

IV_Montreal_NVC_instructions.jpg

Edited by trailmix

Timeline

In order for you to interview in Canada you must have legal status that will allow you to stay at least 6 months. If you are unsure you can email the Montreal Consulate if that is where your interview would be taking place if allowed, or Vancouver if that is where you would be interviewing. Either way, I would recommend that you are very clear with them as to what your status is in Canada and if you aren't happy with the answer, email them again.

i have a work permit that valid for next 2 years

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

But what is your status - immigration wise? That's probably the more important thing, as you are not yet a PR you must have some type of status. I don't know if they will consider a work permit as proof of being able to stay in Canada at least 6 months.

Anyway, my recommendation is that you contact either Montreal or Vancouver and find out for sure.

Good luck!

Filed: Timeline

i guess it should work out,since a refugee claimant in canada can marry a canadian PR or citizen, and get thier PR, the same thing in US too refugee claimant can marry USC and get his/her paper, the only one i know was that a refugee claimant in US marry a candian citizen and she immigrate to canada, so i think it should work, once u have immigration paper that allow u to stay and work in that country, and u re not subjected to deportation i think u should be fine, i dont think k3 will go to ur country of nationality since that is not where u got marry,u can only apply for k3 where u got, except if u marry in US then u have to go to ur home country.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

There is a loophole with K3s though. According to the LIFE act, K3s interview in the country where they were married. If you were married in Canada, you can interview in Canada. Were you married in Canada?

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/ty...types_1315.html

Nonimmigrant visa for spouse (K-3) - It is important to note that application for the nonimmigrant visa for spouse (K-3) who married a U.S. citizen must be filed and the visa must be issued in the country where the marriage took place.

Now, if you married in the U.S. it would go to your country of residence/home country.

Edited by misa

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

There is a loophole with K3s though. According to the LIFE act, K3s interview in the country where they were married. If you were married in Canada, you can interview in Canada. Were you married in Canada?

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/ty...types_1315.html

Nonimmigrant visa for spouse (K-3) - It is important to note that application for the nonimmigrant visa for spouse (K-3) who married a U.S. citizen must be filed and the visa must be issued in the country where the marriage took place.

Now, if you married in the U.S. it would go to your country of residence/home country.

yeah i married in calgary, alberta.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You're fine then. Vancouver is a good consualte to deal with! :)

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

Legal status in Canada (for our purposes) is not exclusive to citizens and landed immigrants. I had a work permit and Bren a study permit, and that was more than enough. I would asume (not sure though) that same applies to refugees, but double check with Vancouver

Good luck, L.

Legal status in Canada (for our purposes) is not exclusive to citizens and landed immigrants. I had a work permit and Bren a study permit, and that was more than enough. I would asume (not sure though) that same applies to refugees, but double check with Vancouver

Good luck, L.

did u get ur k-visa with ur work/ study permit?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.