jawi876

My name ain't Stella....

3,691 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

U.S Education - some of those inner city schools sound horrible...but there are good public schools out there. I find that black parents (not all of us) just don't question what is going on in our children's schools or do research to find good schools, sending one child to the local or zoned school nah mek it, if the school is garbarge . Nor is it encouraged, public schools could not push black students to vocational schools if the parents spoke up or while the school was pushing the parents pushed back and directed the children elsewhere. I absolutely hate asking a high school student what they want to be when the grow up and they have no answer. The public schools in my neighorborhood are dismal, well the scores are at any rate. the scores are so bad i was even doubtful of the gifted programs. lol

J.A. - someone mentioned the free education...it should be free... because the majority of the country can't afford it....I mean really...mr jengles said in JA you have to pay for high school. is this true?...when i went to college the international students were the ones who had money in their own country...in JA its nice to know that the schooling is there for those who can afford it...but what about those who can't...

it seems as if its the poor who get screwed no matter what country u live in

4462482_bodyshot_175x233.gif

Me turn professional panhandler!!! but mi look good, don't??

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
I came back from the hospital an hour ago...I have a sprained knee was told to stay home and keep my feet up for two days as if...I think i'll stay home tomorrow. I have so much to answer, you ladies were chatting for real

thanks for all the concern guys...

Hey, glad it wasn't anything torn...so day ur off and rest

MOTIVATE A CHILD... SUPPORT OPEN ARMS FOR JAMAICA'S FUTURE, INC. WE NEED A BRIGHTER TOMORROW !!!!!!

Filed: Other Timeline
U.S Education - some of those inner city schools sound horrible...but there are good public schools out there. I find that black parents (not all of us) just don't question what is going on in our children's schools or do research to find good schools, sending one child to the local or zoned school nah mek it, if the school is garbarge . Nor is it encouraged, public schools could not push black students to vocational schools if the parents spoke up or while the school was pushing the parents pushed back and directed the children elsewhere. I absolutely hate asking a high school student what they want to be when the grow up and they have no answer. The public schools in my neighorborhood are dismal, well the scores are at any rate. the scores are so bad i was even doubtful of the gifted programs. lol

it seems as if its the poor who get screwed no matter what country u live in

Ditto..GARBAGE!!! the story of my life lately. We moved into a new school district. It has been a toal nightmare. My daughter hates the unaccredited neighborhood school in which she was placed. She was singled out by the school her so called school adviser when I called at ask about why she did she had not been given homework for three days. My daughter is used to doing at least an hours worth of homework every night in the A1 school disctict me moved from.....she was pulled out of class repremanded for coming home and telling me she had no home work. She was given a had written note for all of her teacher that said.."This student is to be given homework every day, she is required to stop to check in with the advisor to make sure she has homework. My daughter is the only one in her classes to recieve homework :blink: What kills me is it's just busy work, it dosne't apply to any of her subjects. It is surely sad. She will transfer our of the neighbor hood school in to a college prep middle school in which she had to test-in for enrollment. I just cannot believe how they treat her now that they know..she came fromt the school.."up north" she often comments on how she has to correct her math teacher...he responds with:"I'm glad somebody's finally listening" :blink: The elementary school is not any better, My son has almost 30 kids in his class, I don't see how she could be teaching them anything. :unsure:

4457325_bodyshot_175x233.gif 4489327_bodyshot_175x233.gif

Cases complete!Enjoying life!!

PM me if you have questions

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

**********THURSDAY CHUCKLE**********

Mawning All,

Sorry deh chuckle likkle late dis Mawnin!!

Classy & Maddy...Ladies, I am so proud of you pushing past the pain and the familiarity to opt for change and empowerment!!! Much love and respect for that!1 Don't forget we are always here for you!

Clariey & Jengs...At least we know what we are working with and I am praying that G-d relieves your suffering soon!

Blessed love Always, (L)(L)

Gill

Ok, this is a lang one...but it was so darn cute and honest, I couldn't pass it up!!

Enjoy and make a wonderful day for yourselves!!

Heaven or Hell

St. Peter came to the Lord and said, "Lord, I have to talk to you. I

have a problem. I know we didn't have many Jamaicans in heaven so you

instituted an affirmative action plan and we are supposed to have 10,000

Jamaicans in heaven.

But they are causing so many problems! They have torn down the Pearly

Gates by swinging on them. They have let in another 10,000 of their bredrin

through the fence. They are constantly hanging out by the gate disturbing Angel

Gabriel begging for a "bly" for their baby mother, cousin, sistren,

neighbour, granny, auntie...

Whenever it is their turn to watch the gates they keep letting in heavy,

good looking women.

They have stolen my harp. They have gotten jerk sauce all over their

white robes.

Drum pan chicken is being sold all over the Streets of Gold.

Some are walking around with only one wing because they are "STYLING".

Angels must have two wings to fly! Some of them have put on chrome wings

and are dazzling the other angels when they are flying.

The white robes are eternal and must be washed five times a day. Some

haven't washed their robes since they arrived because they didn't come

to heaven to "slave".

Some have refused to take their turn in helping keep the Stairway to

Heaven clean because "dem ah no helper". Many who came here because they used

salt are still using it because they don't like "ital" food. Some refuse to

wear their halos because "it will mess up their hairdo".

Some are wearing it backways. Others are wearing it with the tags still

attached to them. Others have discarded the white halos and are wearing

gold ones instead, they claim these are "bashy".

Most of the women have discarded their white robes and are wearing

"batty riders" claiming that they have pretty skin and want to show off their

"bandylegs" Reggae music is blasted at all hours of the night, Their

cellular phones are worn on their robes and keeps ringing during prayers.

Recently there was an altercation between Adam and one Jamaican who claims he

was only "checking out" Eve.

They have planted ganja in the Garden of Eden since the soil is so

fertile claiming "man and man haffi hustle" What should I do?!" The Lord said,

"It wouldn't be fair to not let Jamaicans in heaven. They have just as much

right to be here as other nationalities.

Maybe we just don't know how to deal with them and are using the wrong

approach. Lets check with someone who has more experience dealing with

them. Let's call the Devil.

The Devil answered the phone and said,"Hello, Lord. What can I do for

you?" The Lord said, "We have a problem up here, and we'd like to talk to you

about it."

The Devil said, "Just a minute, I've got to put you on hold. "The Devil

was gone five minutes. He came back to the phone and said,

"OK Lord, I'm back. What's up?"

The Lord said, I would like to talk to you about a problem up here."

Again the Devil excused himself and put the Lord on hold. for fifteen minutes

this time. Finally, the Devil came back to the phone and said,"Lord, I am

really sorry, but I can't talk to you right now. I have to go.

These Jamaicans down here..... I don't know where they found water, but

they have put out the fire and yesterday they even had air conditioning

installed saying "man come yah fe chill'.

06/08/08- Married my best friend!

AOS/EAD/AP Applications

12/08/08- Package mailed

12/11/08- Package received at USCIS Chicago lockbox

12/19/08- Check cashed by USCIS

12/27/08-Biometrics appt letter recieved

01/05/09- CRIS email notification-I-485 Case transferred to CSC

01/06/09- Biometrics complete

03/02/09- AP received via USPS

03/05/09- EAD received via USPS

04/27/09- Received CRIS email - Green Card has been ordered on 4/25/09- Petition Approved!!

04/28/09- Received CRIS email 'Welcome Letter' mailed

05/04/2009- Conditional 2 year Green Card received

CF906-K_lg.jpgA heart that loves is 'Forever Young'!CF906-G_lg.jpg

Who JAH bless..no man can curse!!

Another Proud Jamaican Lioness in a wonderful relationship with her Powerful Jamaican Lion!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Good Morning *biglangyawn* Is it Friday yet?!?

Jengles ~ Glad to hear that it isn't something too major. Take it easy and let it heal :)

It is interesting to hear all the different school stuff. Thanks all for sharing.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Good morn errybody

Jengles glad to hear your knee injury is just a sprain :yes: try to stay off of it as much as possible

My NST is at 1:30pm so I'll be around until it's time to go...

N-400 - Naturalization/Citizenship

10/26/12 - Sent N-400 packet to Phoenix lockbox via USPS mail w/Certified Delivery, received 10/29/12, check cashed 11/02/12

11/05/12 - NOA-1 received, notice date 10/31/2012, received and priority date 10/29/2012

11/09/12 - Biometrics notice received, biometrics appointment date 11/19/12

11/21/12 - In line for interview scheduling (letter received via USPS mail 12/17/12)

01/16/13 - N-400 interview/testing - APPROVED! Oath ceremony letter received late Jan. 2013

02/26/13 - OATH CEREMONY COMPLETED - NATURALIZED US CITIZEN!

751 - Removing Conditions

06/28/08 - Sent 751 packet to CSC via USPS Priority Mail (signature required)

07/05/08 - NOA received, dated 6/30/08

10/23/08 - Card ordered: APPROVED! (USCIS website)

10/30/08 - 10 YR GREENCARD RECEIVED

K-1 and AOS

07/07/05 - K1 Packet received - USPS tracking

09/19/05 - K1 approval online

12/01/05 - 1st K1 interview in Kingston: need updated birth certificate

12/13/05 - 2nd K1 interview in Kingston: Approved!

05/01/06 - AOS/EAD packet received

08/09/06 - AOS interview in SF: APPROVED!

08/19/06 - 2 YR GREENCARD RECEIVED

-----------

Live your life!

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I'm not arguing that there are good and bad schools in both the US and Jamaica.

I went through the public school system here. My own kids have been in Catholic grade school and a few years ago transferred to the public school system. My kids are in St. Louis County schools. A few of my friends work for the St. Louis City Schools. I can equally praise and question things being done in the schools. They all have their good and their bad.

My concerns with the Jamaican schools are due to my nieces, nephews, SILs, and BIL. Some of the tales they tell make my head hurt. For instance.....My BIL was held back last school year because he failed, only to be promoted back up after 2 weeks of this school year. My nephew, who did not have a registered birth paper, nor any schooling before this school year was immediately put into a class with children his own age....children who have 4 years of schooling on him. I question these kinds of things. And, then, my husband has his own stories and opinions.

And regarding the JA testing.....The point of that article (December 14 Gleaner) and all subsequent articles up to today, for me, is that an alarming number are failing English. The math seemed to be an issue for some who pointed out what is the point of technical schools if math, the very basis of most, is not being passed.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Timeline

I went through the public school system here. My own kids have been in Catholic grade school and a few years ago transferred to the public school system. My kids are in St. Louis County schools. A few of my friends work for the St. Louis City Schools. I can equally praise and question things being done in the schools. They all have their good and their bad.

My concerns with the Jamaican schools are due to my nieces, nephews, SILs, and BIL. Some of the tales they tell make my head hurt. For instance.....My BIL was held back last school year because he failed, only to be promoted back up after 2 weeks of this school year. My nephew, who did not have a registered birth paper, nor any schooling before this school year was immediately put into a class with children his own age....children who have 4 years of schooling on him. I question these kinds of things. And, then, my husband has his own stories and opinions.

And regarding the JA testing.....The point of that article (December 14 Gleaner) and all subsequent articles up to today, for me, is that an alarming number are failing English. The math seemed to be an issue for some who pointed out what is the point of technical schools if math, the very basis of most, is not being passed.

:yes:

I-130 Timeline

04/10/09 - I130 Sent

04/14/09 - I130 Received

04/22/09 - Check Cashed

04/22/09 - NOA1 Hardcopy Received

08/13/09 - Touch

08/24/09 - RFE Email

08/27/09 - RFE Hardcopy Received

09/11/09 - Evidence sent to CSC

09/16/09 - Evidence Received by CSC

09/20/09 - Touch...on a Sunday???

09/25/09 - NOA2 Hardcopy Received. Dated 9/18

NVC Timeline

10/01/09 - NVC Case Number Assigned

10/02/09 - DS3023 & I-864 Bill Generated

10/02/09 - Paid I-864 fee online

10/03/09 - DS3032 Emailed

10/13/09 - Sent I-864 Packet

10/14/09 - NVC Received I-864 Packet

10/20/09 - I-864 Received via AVR

10/22/09 - IV Bill Generated

Timeline

JG,

We've had this convo before. I agree the Ja. educational system is sorely lacking in providing the same high standard of Education to all youth...regardless of their parents financial status! However, I think that the Jamaican Educational Structure (what is being taught, when it is introduced, how it is taught and introduced) far surpasses that of USA's Educational Structure. For example, we all know the best time to teach children new a complex concepts are when they are young. Foreign Languauge is a perfect example of this. It kills me that my school district (that I pay almost $8000 in taxes, BTW) refuses to introduce a language until 7th grade!!!! I have a international student from JA right now that is fluent in Spanish, French and German. She hopes to snag a job at the UN. So she has taken it upon herself to do a dual minor in Arabic & International Affairs! As well as her major in Political Science!

I attended my first few years of elementary school in the UK and by the time I was 7 I had been introduced to French and German! So now in a effort to make sure that my boys are prepared for the 2020 employment market I pay for outside lessons for my children to learn Spanish, Arabic and Chinese! Which in my opinion the first two should be mandatory that all public school children learn starting in Kindergarten! But we sit over here in our little bubble thinking..."If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" Please don't even get me started on Bush's 'No Child Left Behind" B.S.!!! January 20, 2009 can't get here quick enough!

Anyway...back on topic yeah...Ja. has some fixing to do as far as an EQUAL EDUCATION FOR ALL (Hopefully Golding is on that)...But so does the U.S. and I hope we realize that we gotta make a change quick before it's too late!

Bless,

Gill

I figured we could all use a good lunch today so here goes:

Fried Plantain & Breadfruit

Plantains_02.jpgBreadfruit_01.jpg

Some Fry Fish

Fish_10.jpg

With Festival

Festival.jpg

And Grater Cake for dessert

GraterCake.jpg

Enjoy :)

OMG YARDIE!!!!!!!!! THAT STUFF LOOKS SO GOOD!!!! YOU GOT MY MOUTH WATERING!!!!!!!!!!I just want to inhale it ALL!!!! Thanks for bringing lunch Girl...It's sincerely Appre-ci-rated!!!

Blessed,

Gill

AOS/EAD/AP Applications

12/08/08- Package mailed

04/27/09- Received CRIS email - Green Card has been ordered on 4/25/09- Petition Approved!!

Another Proud Jamaican Lioness in a wonderful relationship with her Powerful Jamaican Lion!

Timeline

Just a little on the education topic,

I grew up in JA I was 15 when I moved here, I had just started 9th grade before we moved. When I came to start school I was placed in the 11th grade..I don't know what 10th grade is..not that it wasn't before of a placement test but my school records from JA. and still classes that I was doing didn't cover what I had already learned in JA. Again, school districts differ where I live now u don't need to send ur kids to private school that's how great the schools are, but where I used to live with the exception of 2 of the public school are ridiculous...but I think home work needs to be on a daily basis, how can u keep the information learned if there is no practice ?

MOTIVATE A CHILD... SUPPORT OPEN ARMS FOR JAMAICA'S FUTURE, INC. WE NEED A BRIGHTER TOMORROW !!!!!!

Timeline

JG,

We've had this convo before. I agree the Ja. educational system is sorely lacking in providing the same high standard of Education to all youth...regardless of their parents financial status! However, I think that the Jamaican Educational Structure (what is being taught, when it is introduced, how it is taught and introduced) far surpasses that of USA's Educational Structure. For example, we all know the best time to teach children new a complex concepts are when they are young. Foreign Languauge is a perfect example of this. It kills me that my school district (that I pay almost $8000 in taxes, BTW) refuses to introduce a language until 7th grade!!!! I have a international student from JA right now that is fluent in Spanish, French and German. She hopes to snag a job at the UN. So she has taken it upon herself to do a dual minor in Arabic & International Affairs! As well as her major in Political Science!

I attended my first few years of elementary school in the UK and by the time I was 7 I had been introduced to French and German! So now in a effort to make sure that my boys are prepared for the 2020 employment market I pay for outside lessons for my children to learn Spanish, Arabic and Chinese! Which in my opinion the first two should be mandatory that all public school children learn starting in Kindergarten! But we sit over here in our little bubble thinking..."If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" Please don't even get me started on Bush's 'No Child Left Behind" B.S.!!! January 20, 2009 can't get here quick enough!

Anyway...back on topic yeah...Ja. has some fixing to do as far as an EQUAL EDUCATION FOR ALL (Hopefully Golding is on that)...But so does the U.S. and I hope we realize that we gotta make a change quick before it's too late!

Bless,

Gill

I figured we could all use a good lunch today so here goes:

Fried Plantain & Breadfruit

Plantains_02.jpgBreadfruit_01.jpg

Some Fry Fish

Fish_10.jpg

With Festival

Festival.jpg

And Grater Cake for dessert

GraterCake.jpg

Enjoy :)

OMG YARDIE!!!!!!!!! THAT STUFF LOOKS SO GOOD!!!! YOU GOT MY MOUTH WATERING!!!!!!!!!!I just want to inhale it ALL!!!! Thanks for bringing lunch Girl...It's sincerely Appre-ci-rated!!!

Blessed,

Gill

I did not realize how much I missed my food until I saw this............mi mouth a wata.

Thanks so much..........now I gotta go and get something to satisfy this hunger....thanks again

DANG MI MISS JA FOOD.................

I do not wish to share any information about this dead end journey.........I have reached my final destination on this train, and it is time for me to get off.

THIS TOO SHALL PASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"If marriage means you fell in love, does divorce mean you climbed out?"

"You never really know a man until you have divorced him."-Zsa Zsa Gabor

"When a man hath taken a wife, and married her, and it come to pass that she find no favour in his eyes, because he hath found some uncleanness in her: then let him write her a bill of divorcement, and give it in her hand, and send her out of his house. And when she is departed out of his house, she may go and be another man's wife." Deuteronomy 24:1-2

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." - Franklin D. Roosevelt

"When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us." - Helen Keller

"Even though you may want to move forward in your life, you may have one foot on the brakes. In order to be free, we must learn how to let go. Release the hurt. Release the fear. Refuse to entertain your old pain. The energy it takes to hang onto the past is holding you back from a new life. What is it you would let go of today?" - Mary Manin Morrissey

"I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Theresa

Timeline
**********THURSDAY CHUCKLE**********

Mawning All,

Sorry deh chuckle likkle late dis Mawnin!!

Classy & Maddy...Ladies, I am so proud of you pushing past the pain and the familiarity to opt for change and empowerment!!! Much love and respect for that!1 Don't forget we are always here for you!

Clariey & Jengs...At least we know what we are working with and I am praying that G-d relieves your suffering soon!

Blessed love Always, (L)(L)

Gill

Ok, this is a lang one...but it was so darn cute and honest, I couldn't pass it up!!

Enjoy and make a wonderful day for yourselves!!

Heaven or Hell

St. Peter came to the Lord and said, "Lord, I have to talk to you. I

have a problem. I know we didn't have many Jamaicans in heaven so you

instituted an affirmative action plan and we are supposed to have 10,000

Jamaicans in heaven.

But they are causing so many problems! They have torn down the Pearly

Gates by swinging on them. They have let in another 10,000 of their bredrin

through the fence. They are constantly hanging out by the gate disturbing Angel

Gabriel begging for a "bly" for their baby mother, cousin, sistren,

neighbour, granny, auntie...

Whenever it is their turn to watch the gates they keep letting in heavy,

good looking women.

They have stolen my harp. They have gotten jerk sauce all over their

white robes.

Drum pan chicken is being sold all over the Streets of Gold.

Some are walking around with only one wing because they are "STYLING".

Angels must have two wings to fly! Some of them have put on chrome wings

and are dazzling the other angels when they are flying.

The white robes are eternal and must be washed five times a day. Some

haven't washed their robes since they arrived because they didn't come

to heaven to "slave".

Some have refused to take their turn in helping keep the Stairway to

Heaven clean because "dem ah no helper". Many who came here because they used

salt are still using it because they don't like "ital" food. Some refuse to

wear their halos because "it will mess up their hairdo".

Some are wearing it backways. Others are wearing it with the tags still

attached to them. Others have discarded the white halos and are wearing

gold ones instead, they claim these are "bashy".

Most of the women have discarded their white robes and are wearing

"batty riders" claiming that they have pretty skin and want to show off their

"bandylegs" Reggae music is blasted at all hours of the night, Their

cellular phones are worn on their robes and keeps ringing during prayers.

Recently there was an altercation between Adam and one Jamaican who claims he

was only "checking out" Eve.

They have planted ganja in the Garden of Eden since the soil is so

fertile claiming "man and man haffi hustle" What should I do?!" The Lord said,

"It wouldn't be fair to not let Jamaicans in heaven. They have just as much

right to be here as other nationalities.

Maybe we just don't know how to deal with them and are using the wrong

approach. Lets check with someone who has more experience dealing with

them. Let's call the Devil.

The Devil answered the phone and said,"Hello, Lord. What can I do for

you?" The Lord said, "We have a problem up here, and we'd like to talk to you

about it."

The Devil said, "Just a minute, I've got to put you on hold. "The Devil

was gone five minutes. He came back to the phone and said,

"OK Lord, I'm back. What's up?"

The Lord said, I would like to talk to you about a problem up here."

Again the Devil excused himself and put the Lord on hold. for fifteen minutes

this time. Finally, the Devil came back to the phone and said,"Lord, I am

really sorry, but I can't talk to you right now. I have to go.

These Jamaicans down here..... I don't know where they found water, but

they have put out the fire and yesterday they even had air conditioning

installed saying "man come yah fe chill'.

I am rolling......... :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

thanks ms.gill.......I have you guys so I am fine........

I do not wish to share any information about this dead end journey.........I have reached my final destination on this train, and it is time for me to get off.

THIS TOO SHALL PASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"If marriage means you fell in love, does divorce mean you climbed out?"

"You never really know a man until you have divorced him."-Zsa Zsa Gabor

"When a man hath taken a wife, and married her, and it come to pass that she find no favour in his eyes, because he hath found some uncleanness in her: then let him write her a bill of divorcement, and give it in her hand, and send her out of his house. And when she is departed out of his house, she may go and be another man's wife." Deuteronomy 24:1-2

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." - Franklin D. Roosevelt

"When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us." - Helen Keller

"Even though you may want to move forward in your life, you may have one foot on the brakes. In order to be free, we must learn how to let go. Release the hurt. Release the fear. Refuse to entertain your old pain. The energy it takes to hang onto the past is holding you back from a new life. What is it you would let go of today?" - Mary Manin Morrissey

"I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Theresa

Timeline
I am rolling......... :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

thanks ms.gill.......I have you guys so I am fine........

ALWAYS Baby Girl :luv::luv::luv: ...Always!!! I'm proud of you Sis!! Ands I LOVE your new Motto! ;);)

Love ya (L)(L) ,

Gill

P.S.- I spoke with Jawi today...She aopologizes, but has been in so much pain since the last shot...that she just couldn't post more.

**So let's all send her positive vibes and well wishes...Yardie, if you have some likkle picture or emotion that can relate we are all praying for her that would be great!!**

Love you Guys...fi real! :luv::luv::luv: I feel so blessed to have such a wonderful group of women in my life :crying::crying: ...(And yes I'm PMS-ing!!!) :lol: But, I meant what I typed...love onnuh!!

Gill

AOS/EAD/AP Applications

12/08/08- Package mailed

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.