jawi876

My name ain't Stella....

3,691 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
he also thinks schools up here better....but i had to correct a chiney man at my wuk today..chat bout education in JA nuh good... like im would no

Recent Gleaner articles support this stance. Maybe he read them.

Jomo girl...

Gleaner supports what stance...the Chiney man dat schools nuh good or mr jengles that schools up here are better and no they are not saying the same thing.

mr jengles made his statement based on what he sees the work that my son's school assigning...I told mr jengles not all schools up here are like dat.

The chiney man too me just made a blanket statement because JA is a poor country.

4462482_bodyshot_175x233.gif

Me turn professional panhandler!!! but mi look good, don't??

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Hey Elizabeth :wub: How are things going with you and Henry?

Hey there bubbler queen!LOL

We're good. I am busy trying to learn how to drive. Henry threatened me! He said he knows many stupid people who know how to drive and he can't understand how I have so much schooling and don't drive. :lol: Whatever! I hate driving and cars and roads and people in cars and people in cars on roads! Hmpf! (we need a tantrum icon! a blue face holding breath or something. :yes: )

AOS, EAD - 115 days from mailing AOS to conditional Green Card in Hand

06-07-08 - File to remove conditions

4/28/09 - Moved to CSC

06-20-09- Received 10 year Greencard

Citizenship

07-09-09 - Filed N-400

Joel 2:25 (Amplified Bible) And I will restore or replace for you the years that the locust has eaten--the hopping locust, the stripping locust, and the crawling locust, My great army which I sent among you.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
but marlita u nuh easy! look good one day sale and mi haffa go a hospital *sucking teeth*

Cha! me ah guh tuh Macys dem and see a ole heap of people dem! Dem mek it tuh ard fi mi tuh shop good. Mi won pair of boots dem me like and dem not on sale! **kissteet** plus di lines dem fall out di door!

I had to leave :angry:

PUSH!: Pray Until Something Happens!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Regarding the school thing...

Better is a matter of interpretation for a lot of people. What makes a school "better" to one may not to another. Both the hubby and I agree that schooling in JA is "better". We decided early on that our kids would either be schooled in JA or homeschooled here in the US. To him schools in JA are better because religion is still taught, uniforms are worn, it is harder to get into the top schools so some children are more motivated ("you have to earn it so you value it more" mentality), respect is still demanded, schools for the most part are still conservative (no gay or new age agenda), some schools are still gender segregated, curriculm is more intense, schools celebrate the holidays...the list goes on. That to him makes JA schools better. I am sure you can find some schools in the US that are like that but they are few and far between (at least where we live).

So like I said earlier "better" is all in the eye of the beholder.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
he also thinks schools up here better....but i had to correct a chiney man at my wuk today..chat bout education in JA nuh good... like im would no

Recent Gleaner articles support this stance. Maybe he read them.

Jomo girl...

Gleaner supports what stance...the Chiney man dat schools nuh good or mr jengles that schools up here are better and no they are not saying the same thing.

mr jengles made his statement based on what he sees the work that my son's school assigning...I told mr jengles not all schools up here are like dat.

The chiney man too me just made a blanket statement because JA is a poor country.

It's easier to just post what I am referring to:

'Virtually illiterate' - Students' performance in core CSEC subjects appalling

published: Friday | December 14, 2007

THOMPSON

Jamaican students continue to underperform in core subjects in the main regional assessment examination - the Caribbean Secondary Education Certificate (CSEC) - after five years in high school, causing at least one education advocate to describe the results as appalling.

According to an analysis of the 2007 CSEC results, conducted by Dr. Ralph Thompson, education advocate and businessman, 89 per cent of students in non-traditional high schools failed English language, while 37 per cent of their peers in traditional high schools also failed the subject.

As it relates to mathematics, 96 per cent of students in non-traditional schools failed the subject, while 59 per cent of their counterparts in traditional high schools were unsuccessful in mathematics.

90 per cent failed math

When the results were analysed for students in technical schools, 81 per cent failed English language, while 90 per cent failed mathematics.

According to Dr. Thompson, total school enrolment for English language was 40,037, but 17,612 students were not allowed to sit the examination. Of the 22,425 who sat the examination, 10,789 failed.

"So, between those who are culled and those who failed, 28,401 Jamaican children left our high schools virtually illiterate, barely able to understand or speak standard English," said Dr. Thompson.

He recommended that at least 11 per cent of the next education budget go to early-childhood education, and teachers should be licensed and paid according to performance.

Andrew Holness, Minister of Education, said the results were not surprising, noting that Jamaican students had been underperforming in the core areas for several years.

However, he indicated that the Government was moving swiftly to address several issues in the education system, which would see animprovement in students' performance.

"The Ministry of Education acknowledges that we have a problem with the quality of education in the country," Mr. Holness told The Gleaner.

"We have the capacity but the country needs to make a solid commitment to education."

To this end, Mr. Holness said proper assessment of students would be done in almost all grades at the primary level. He also said an inspectorate of schools would be created and his ministry was in the process of piloting a numeracy test.

Meanwhile, Ena Barclay, president of the Jamaica Teachers' Association (JTA) said the JTA was not pleased with the results.

"We would want to know that our students are performing at a higher standard," Mrs. Barclay told The Gleaner yesterday.

She noted that the poor results further confirms the argument that more emphasis needs to be placed at the early childhood and primary levels.

The JTA boss also said there needs to be constant training of teachers.

In the meantime, Dr. Thompson said when the overall pass rates were disaggregated, it became clear that the crucial problem with the education system was in the non-traditional school segment.

He noted that some 70 per cent of the total secondary school population attend non-traditional schools and these institutions should be the prime focus of an education policy.

Mr. Holness said there were plans to improve non-traditional schools by providing them with more resources, among other things.

When Dr. Thompson ranked traditional schools based on their performance in the two core subjects, Wolmer's High School for girls came out on top for English Language, while Campion College topped the chart for mathematics. Notably, seven of the schools in the top 10 for English were all girls institutions. Five of the 10 schools in the top 10 for mathematics were also all-girls institutions.

Traditional all-boys high schools such as Kingston College, St. George's College, Munro, Jamaica College and Cornwall College did not make it in the top 10 for either subject. Wolmer's High School for Boys was the only all-boys institution that made it in the top 10.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Timeline
Hey Elizabeth :wub: How are things going with you and Henry?

Hey there bubbler queen!LOL

We're good. I am busy trying to learn how to drive. Henry threatened me! He said he knows many stupid people who know how to drive and he can't understand how I have so much schooling and don't drive. :lol: Whatever! I hate driving and cars and roads and people in cars and people in cars on roads! Hmpf! (we need a tantrum icon! a blue face holding breath or something. :yes: )

You better believe I am still queen! :lol: Practice every single night ;):lol:

Good luck learning to drive. It really is a good thing to know how to do...never know when it will come in handy. Let us know how it goes...take pics of Henry's scared face if you can :lol:

Timeline

Hi everyone! Hope the day is going well.

I was reading through the posts for today and just had to say something about the whole topic of education.

JG - I also read the gleaner daily and have been paying close attention to the education articles mainly because when I graduate I will be teaching.

Like Yardiewife, I too plan on homeschooling my children or sending them to Jamaica to go to school. The schools here are nothing compared to those in JA. Although I was born in Jamaica, I'm a product of public education in the US and I've been to school in California, North Carolina, Virginia, and most recently Florida.

Ok, so the CSEC scores are down. To those in JA thats a big deal because they are not used to it. For those outsiders looking in, I urge you guys to take a look at the CSEC and CXC exams and syllabi. The things that they learn for English and math are considered college level in the states. Example - I took AP Biology in high school and my SO sat the CXC Biology exam. When you compare the two, the CXC is WAY more challenging and covers much more material.

The schools in JA are far more advanced than up here. Students learn things at earlier ages and the curriculum is much more rigorous. Not to mention, the uniforms and presence of religion in schools is an added bonus.

Last year in my economics class we had to introduce ourselves and one student said he was an international student from Jamaica. The professor was ecstatic and said that he enjoys having Caribbean students in his class because they always perform well and grasps the concepts faster than American kids.

Just my two cents...I could go on forever...

Edited by Marie87

I-130 Timeline

04/10/09 - I130 Sent

04/14/09 - I130 Received

04/22/09 - Check Cashed

04/22/09 - NOA1 Hardcopy Received

08/13/09 - Touch

08/24/09 - RFE Email

08/27/09 - RFE Hardcopy Received

09/11/09 - Evidence sent to CSC

09/16/09 - Evidence Received by CSC

09/20/09 - Touch...on a Sunday???

09/25/09 - NOA2 Hardcopy Received. Dated 9/18

NVC Timeline

10/01/09 - NVC Case Number Assigned

10/02/09 - DS3023 & I-864 Bill Generated

10/02/09 - Paid I-864 fee online

10/03/09 - DS3032 Emailed

10/13/09 - Sent I-864 Packet

10/14/09 - NVC Received I-864 Packet

10/20/09 - I-864 Received via AVR

10/22/09 - IV Bill Generated

Timeline

I was reading through the posts for today and just had to say something about the whole topic of education.

JG - I also read the gleaner daily and have been paying close attention to the education articles mainly because when I graduate I will be teaching.

Like Yardiewife, I too plan on homeschooling my children or sending them to Jamaica to go to school. The schools here are nothing compared to those in JA. Although I was born in Jamaica, I'm a product of public education in the US and I've been to school in California, North Carolina, Virginia, and most recently Florida.

Ok, so the CSEC scores are down. To those in JA thats a big deal because they are not used to it. For those outsiders looking in, I urge you guys to take a look at the CSEC and CXC exams and syllabi. The things that they learn for English and math are considered college level in the states. Example - I took AP Biology in high school and my SO sat the CXC Biology exam. When you compare the two, the CXC is WAY more challenging and covers much more material.

The schools in JA are far more advanced than up here. Students learn things at earlier ages and the curriculum is much more rigorous. Not to mention, the uniforms and presence of religion in schools is an added bonus.

Last year in my economics class we had to introduce ourselves and one student said he was an international student from Jamaica. The professor was ecstatic and said that he enjoys having Caribbean students in his class because they always perform well and grasps the concepts faster than American kids.

I totally agree with what you said...well said :thumbs:

Timeline

I totally agree with what you said...well said :thumbs:

You make a good point. My question is what happens AFTER high school though. Are colleges and universites here in the States looking at students from Jamaican high schools in the same light as they look at kids from US high schools? Just a thought. I always hear how its harder for someone to get into US universites from Jamaica just because of the stereotypes that the schools in Jamaica are not up to par (even if this is a blatant falacy). However, if this is the case it could be a problem in the long run with schooling in Jamaica. Not sure if this happens that often but something to think about, cause long term....we are expecting that our children will go to college and get a degree. It doesn't stop at high school.

Also there are many private or Montessori, or charter schools in the states that compare greatly if not above schools in Jamaica. So there are options here, just as there are there, if you are looking to keep your kids with you during those 13 some odd years of their life. Public schools in the states may have a different comparison, because there is so much litigation and politics going on that its not really about the children anymore, its about the money. Hence why schools in richer areas get more funding vs inner city schools (like mine) where there aren't even enough books to go around. Its something to look into.

I think I would like my kids to go to school outside the home for many other reasons besides just educational enrichment. There is just so much that you get out of that day to day school environment with your peers. The fun stuff you know. I can remember things about my schooling from Pre-School to High School that I just love and builds my character. The other stuff that wasn't in the school (religion and such) came from my parents and living in their home. So in a sense I was home schooled and public schooled....the best of both worlds.

Timeline

Marlita...those too are very valid points.

Regarding the homeschooling thing...it is just a personal choice for us. My mom currently works in an ELEMENTARY school and says it is so horrific the things she see that she will NEVER allow her grandkids to go to public school. The mental and emotional problems that some of these kids is awful. She has told many stories about disturbed students...a girl who poops in the hallway, kids who smear their poop all over the walls/toilets/sinks in the bathroom, the 10 year old girl who has been arrested 7 times for various things like pushing kids in front of oncoming traffic, beating kids up, breaking a 5 year old girls arm on the playground, physically assulting a teacher, sexually touching another girl on the playground...the list goes on and on and that isn't including all the swearing and violence/fights. There are some really messed up kids out there.

All these stories are from 1 school in a relatively small town...we aren't inner city who then have to deal with drugs and gangs and all that other stuff. Even teachers say that it isn't about teaching it is about babysitting to a degree. They want to teach but there just isn't enough time between all the disruptions of unruly students some days. Our districts around here even have 2 Special Ed depts...one for physical disabilites the other for mental/emotional disabilities. My mom is working behind the scenes...she witnesses and hears a lot of the stories and is appaled. I know that not all schools are like that...but you would be surprised at what really goes on in public schools.

Edited by Yardiewife

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Extremely well said Marie!! We have had this conversation before and I honestly think the American Educational structure is failing our Children!

I have said it before, and I'll say it again. University students walk in my door everyday from all over the planet. If I had a nickel for every Jamaican student that told me that the classes they are taking are too easy and they would like a more challenging class, I would have a nice likkle pissa chnge by now!

And on the flip side all the American students that want to drop the same type of classes...typically Math & science, due to the difficulty! In my humble opinion we do NOT push our kids enough! We need to expose them to Physics, Chemistry & Calculus earlier in their education. We are doing them a disservice by waiting til HS to throw these complex theories and formulas at them. In JA, these subjects are introduced by our 4th or 5th grade and go straight to HS graduation. So JA. students are able to totally MASTER these subjects by college. Unfortunately our students only have a basic working knowledge on these subjects and HATE THEM!!!

It is the same way in India and Pakistan. Most countries that were under British rule up until the 20th century have implemented the British structure of educating their youth. Every year American students fall further and further behind the rest of the world in Math, Science and Grammatical English test scores. As a matter of fact I recently read an artilce in The Chronicle (Higher Ed newspaper) that for the first time in our history American born and raised students are opting to attend the Mumbai Institute of Technology, in India, rather than go to our Ivy League Schools. That's saying something!

Trust me if I had the money in a HEARTBEAT my boys would be attending a good Prep school in Jamaica! I just thing they would be more marketable for highly qualified employment in the next 15-20 years.

Blessed,

Gill

06/08/08- Married my best friend!

AOS/EAD/AP Applications

12/08/08- Package mailed

12/11/08- Package received at USCIS Chicago lockbox

12/19/08- Check cashed by USCIS

12/27/08-Biometrics appt letter recieved

01/05/09- CRIS email notification-I-485 Case transferred to CSC

01/06/09- Biometrics complete

03/02/09- AP received via USPS

03/05/09- EAD received via USPS

04/27/09- Received CRIS email - Green Card has been ordered on 4/25/09- Petition Approved!!

04/28/09- Received CRIS email 'Welcome Letter' mailed

05/04/2009- Conditional 2 year Green Card received

CF906-K_lg.jpgA heart that loves is 'Forever Young'!CF906-G_lg.jpg

Who JAH bless..no man can curse!!

Another Proud Jamaican Lioness in a wonderful relationship with her Powerful Jamaican Lion!

Goodness! Ya start early!

That could work....

(Looking around.....up to 149? Goodness!)

Mrs. Jengles, hope ur feeling better. Have you tried any epsom salts like the old folk used to do?

LOL!!! Well if you know a way Kimmy let me know, cuz I was ready to move to St. Vincent like yesterday. Dumb man want to get in the way of our happiness....damn shame!

Ok Jene,

This is what you have to do...I went through the same thing with my exhole. You don't see him frequently + he is here illegally! PERFECT!!! This is what I did...I filled out my boys applications...then when it asked for Father's signature I wrote "I have no idea where he is...I have not seen him in months and he is no longer living at the last known address."

Maybe you want to have a notary public sign it (But I didn't)!! It was 4 months of sweating (this was last June-when the whole passport sittin was backlogged!), but I GOT THEM!!!!

I wish you could have seen his face when I told him...no we leave for Jamaica tomorrow. He was like... :o:o "How, what, huh??? You can't take the boys!! The hell I can't...I have their passports!!" :lol::lol: Honestly, I think he was jealous...b/c his boys were going to JA for the 2nd time and he hadn't been once. He always wanted to go to JA.!! Ooooooo...it was a sweet moment :lol::lol::lol: ...especially when they came back and couldn't stop talking about how great my fiance was!!! :angry::angry:

Good luck (L) Bless-ed,

Gill

AOS

Date Filed : 2009-03-09

NOA Date : 2009-03-17

RFE(s) : 2009-03-30

Bio. Appt. : 2009-04-20

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
phatmadam,

Please if he was so concerned about his child he would be living with him...

:thumbs: but living is not even the point, just taking care of them , emotionally and physically.....

just living nah go mek it............you need to help out to..........

just my 2 cents.....

I do not wish to share any information about this dead end journey.........I have reached my final destination on this train, and it is time for me to get off.

THIS TOO SHALL PASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"If marriage means you fell in love, does divorce mean you climbed out?"

"You never really know a man until you have divorced him."-Zsa Zsa Gabor

"When a man hath taken a wife, and married her, and it come to pass that she find no favour in his eyes, because he hath found some uncleanness in her: then let him write her a bill of divorcement, and give it in her hand, and send her out of his house. And when she is departed out of his house, she may go and be another man's wife." Deuteronomy 24:1-2

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." - Franklin D. Roosevelt

"When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us." - Helen Keller

"Even though you may want to move forward in your life, you may have one foot on the brakes. In order to be free, we must learn how to let go. Release the hurt. Release the fear. Refuse to entertain your old pain. The energy it takes to hang onto the past is holding you back from a new life. What is it you would let go of today?" - Mary Manin Morrissey

"I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Theresa

The fact that his name is on her BC, makes it difficult. I don't want to risk getting the passport, have him find out I'm gone on one of his 'visits' and calling in and filing a police report saying I kidnapped her....makes me scared to death...

PASSPORTS FOR MINORS

A minor is defined for passport purposes as an unmarried person under the age of 18 years. 22 CFR 51.27.

Either parent, whether a U.S. citizen or not, may apply for the U.S. passport for their minor child. However, the Two Parent Consent Law, effective July 2, 2001, requires that, for a child under the age of 14, both parents must consent to issuance, or the applying parent must document his/her sole authority to obtain a passport for the child. Thus, before a passport is issued for such a child, Passport Services will require evidence of one of the following: sole custody, a court order allowing the parent to travel with the child; a written statement under penalty of perjury that the other parent agrees to issuance or is unavailable, a termination of the other parent’s parental rights, or compelling humanitarian reasons relating to the welfare of the child.

Phone: (202) 736-9124

Fax: (202) 736-9133

Ok, Jene' u wouldn't be commiting perjury if u signed a consent form, b/c he is not around..u can't be a part-time day...or perdiem....makes me mad..u go try for the passport and put it to God b4 u do and believe that u will get it....good luck

That's it Kimmy!!! That's what I did. Write a quick note either on the application ( I think they give you room) or attach a note stating what I said before...Viola Baby Girl's passport!! Good luck Chica!!

Bless,

Gill

PS- I found my 'Rebel Salute' outfit this morning! It's cute...it's all natural Khaki colored mosiac top and Kahki capri's!! Macy's has a wicked one day sale today! I got there at 7:15 and picked up some more x-mas ish! :wacko: !! I through my R.S. outfit in for myself...'because I'm worth it'! *said in a deep sultry sexy voice* :lol::lol:

AOS

Date Filed : 2009-03-09

NOA Date : 2009-03-17

RFE(s) : 2009-03-30

Bio. Appt. : 2009-04-20

Timeline
Marlita...those too are very valid points.

Regarding the homeschooling thing...it is just a personal choice for us. My mom currently works in an ELEMENTARY school and says it is so horrific the things she see that she will NEVER allow her grandkids to go to public school. The mental and emotional problems that some of these kids is awful. She has told many stories about disturbed students...a girl who poops in the hallway, kids who smear their poop all over the walls/toilets/sinks in the bathroom, the 10 year old girl who has been arrested 7 times for various things like pushing kids in front of oncoming traffic, beating kids up, breaking a 5 year old girls arm on the playground, physically assulting a teacher, sexually touching another girl on the playground...the list goes on and on and that isn't including all the swearing and violence/fights. There are some really messed up kids out there.

All these stories are from 1 school in a relatively small town...we aren't inner city who then have to deal with drugs and gangs and all that other stuff. Even teachers say that it isn't about teaching it is about babysitting to a degree. They want to teach but there just isn't enough time between all the disruptions of unruly students some days. Our districts around here even have 2 Special Ed depts...one for physical disabilites the other for mental/emotional disabilities. My mom is working behind the scenes...she witnesses and hears a lot of the stories and is appaled. I know that not all schools are like that...but you would be surprised at what really goes on in public schools.

Lawd! Whats wrong wit dem pickney! If i heard stories like that and I was in a small town I would get the heck outta there too. My mothers an elementry teacher and she tells me her stories. But they go a little different....like the White teachers can't or don't want to deal with the "bad little Black boys" do they send them all to my moms class and make her straighten them out. These are 4 year olds! So all the parents hear about my mother being this good teacher and want they kids in her class while the "other" teachers have small classes with unruly kids cause they send them all to my mom. Mama is livid about this cause it makes her job harder...but she even more mad cause she sees how the other teachers give up on the Black boys so easliy and mis label them as misfit kids and hence the stereotyping starts early.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.