bradcanuck

The Vent

4,952 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm honestly going insane with our upstairs neighbors.. now for some context we have complained and complained and complained about these neighbors and our landlord has YET to do anything about it.. Their agreement/lease was up as of Dec 1st, and yet they are still upstairs making my life miserable.. They are section 8 so apparently the rules for that sort of rental are they can stay there up to 60 days past the lease end date.. which is what our landlord assumes they are going to do.. but they are so flipping disrespectful..

They use OUR garbage can and fill it to overflowing and then never take it to the curb (and it stinks of diapers and bad food), they run the laundry all night long (even when there is a sign that says you can't do that), they allow their kids to run up and down the stairs into their apartment (they live above us) and slam doors.. The kids also wrestle or some other such loud thing so hard that they literally knock crystals off our chandler under them (I've asked the landlord to remove it cause it clinks all the time with their antics and it makes me crazy).. This morning they were throwing wooden blocks above my head ( I was sleeping) across a wood floor ... Someone in the house wakes up at 3am for work and they wear work boots and stomp across the floor at 3am.. AND they run a literal daycare from their home.. and parents pick up and drop off all kinds of crazy hours..

THEY DRIVE ME CRAZYYYYYYYY :girlwerewolf2xn:

I can't wait until Feb 1st.. either they leave by that time OR the eviction process begins :ranting:

I'm hoping some nice quiet Yale Grad students move in next :(

Edited by Emancipation

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm honestly going insane with our upstairs neighbors.. now for some context we have complained and complained and complained about these neighbors and our landlord has YET to do anything about it.. Their agreement/lease was up as of Dec 1st, and yet they are still upstairs making my life miserable.. They are section 8 so apparently the rules for that sort of rental are they can stay there up to 60 days past the lease end date.. which is what our landlord assumes they are going to do.. but they are so flipping disrespectful..

They use OUR garbage can and fill it to overflowing and then never take it to the curb (and it stinks of diapers and bad food), they run the laundry all night long (even when there is a sign that says you can't do that), they allow their kids to run up and down the stairs into their apartment (they live above us) and slam doors.. The kids also wrestle or some other such loud thing so hard that they literally knock crystals off our chandler under them (I've asked the landlord to remove it cause it clinks all the time with their antics and it makes me crazy).. This morning they were throwing wooden blocks above my head ( I was sleeping) across a wood floor ... Someone in the house wakes up at 3am for work and they wear work boots and stomp across the floor at 3am.. AND they run a literal daycare from their home.. and parents pick up and drop off all kinds of crazy hours..

I can't wait until Feb 1st.. either they leave by that time OR the eviction process begins :ranting:

I think anyone that has lived in an apartment, with noisy upstairs neighbours has had exactly the same problems E! I can empathize with you that's for sure. I would assume that even after Feb 1st, the eviction process could take awhile as well, and it could take MONTHS. Maybe if they're not out by spring it's time for YOU to start looking for a new place. I'm not trying to rain on your parade...sounds like your neighbours are very disrespectful! Do you know them at all? Perhaps it's time to have a talk with them directly?

carlahmsb4.gif

Timeline
I think anyone that has lived in an apartment, with noisy upstairs neighbours has had exactly the same problems E! I can empathize with you that's for sure. I would assume that even after Feb 1st, the eviction process could take awhile as well, and it could take MONTHS. Maybe if they're not out by spring it's time for YOU to start looking for a new place. I'm not trying to rain on your parade...sounds like your neighbours are very disrespectful! Do you know them at all? Perhaps it's time to have a talk with them directly?

WEll our lease is up in May and we fully intend to move out .. we can't stand the way the landlord has treated us.. the punch list that we had before we moved in STILL Is not completed.. we still have paint cans in our dining room and kitchen (they were supposed to send someone by to paint and never did).. our landlord has as much respect for us apparently as our neighbors.. we pay our rent on time, and we call them when we see things that are wrong with the place (our landlord doesn't live here).. one time there was water pouring down our bathroom wall, and we called them, and said something was wrong.. they didn't come by to check it out for almost a week and a half.. and there is STILL mold and brown spots on our bathroom ceiling where they said they were going to fix (it was our upstairs neighbors toilet had come unsealed and had leaked down through our ceiling).. yeah nice.. we'll be gone by May. period.

And our neighbors hide whenever they see us.. they literally run.. I have no idea what that's about.. but other than their kids, we never see them.. Hubby did see one of them at one point and told her flat out we called the landlord about the noise levels, and she said "oh we are trying to keep it down".. WHATEVER.. They just seem to either be oblivious to the amount of noise they make or don't care about it..

AOS:

Removal of Conditions:

Naturalization

UGH! What a hell-hole! How atrocious your landlord has treated you that way!! I guess the only thing you can hope for is that your neighbours will move out or get out so that you can have a few months of peace and quiet before you leave!!

Big Hugs for you!

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I wonder if there is anyway you can wiggle out of your lease em?

This reminded me of some neighbours I had once in Calgary. It was an apartment building and they were a couple that lived next door.

Well one evening the party got a bit out of hand (they used to argue all the time) - pretty soon there was glass breaking and screaming and yelling etc. So I call the police, but they are already aware of it.

Anyway, they tell me that the guy says he has a gun or rifle, whatever and we are supposed to stay on the floor :huh: , so we do and then - because we had a back and front entrance door (unusual for an apt, but handy!) the police had us sneak out the back door I think it was and we ended up sitting in a little room in the police station down the road.

I think they found that he didn't have a gun, but anyway, at least he was put away somewhere for a few weeks.

Timeline
We had a better day today. The sea turtles were close enough. :lol:

Sprailenes, sometimes I think we're related, cause your fam sounds eerily familiar to mine!

Marilyn - those were priceless stories.

Cousin Cat! :P

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline
:lol:

I could never NOT pay for myself...I always work on the basis with my good friends that one pays one time, and the other the next....I don't like splitting bills...I think getting down to pennies is a little much for me.

But I could never have a friend pay for me and then when its my turn, say ive got no money. You shouldn't go ANYWHERE if you have no money! You should be working!

Agreed! Sammi said she had money to go to Chicago. She actually didn't. I should have known better.

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline
I wonder if there is anyway you can wiggle out of your lease em?

This reminded me of some neighbours I had once in Calgary. It was an apartment building and they were a couple that lived next door.

Well one evening the party got a bit out of hand (they used to argue all the time) - pretty soon there was glass breaking and screaming and yelling etc. So I call the police, but they are already aware of it.

Anyway, they tell me that the guy says he has a gun or rifle, whatever and we are supposed to stay on the floor :huh: , so we do and then - because we had a back and front entrance door (unusual for an apt, but handy!) the police had us sneak out the back door I think it was and we ended up sitting in a little room in the police station down the road.

I think they found that he didn't have a gun, but anyway, at least he was put away somewhere for a few weeks.

May want to check into your states rental laws and see what your rights are!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

That sounds awful.

I would just go up and knock on the door and say something.

Shallow admission: When I moved in to this neighborhood I asked if there were any section 8 people living here... they said no... I decided it would be a good place to live.

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline
Shallow admission: When I moved in to this neighborhood I asked if there were any section 8 people living here... they said no... I decided it would be a good place to live.

Well honestly this is my first experience with this stuff.. but it's like they live in a tribe.. there's got to be 2 sisters a bunch of teenage nephews, and a gaggle of kids living up there.. *sigh.. we are nice people, we don't want to have to go banging on doors, but I'm starting to think that's the only way to have a little piece..

This morning while the kids were making noise above my head at 7am I was trying to devise something in my head that I could pound on the ceiling with to scare them..

Hubby has taken to slamming doors, and cupboard drawers, cranking the music up.. all in an effort to make as much noise as they do.. :wacko:

AOS:

Removal of Conditions:

Naturalization

Timeline

Our neighbors upstairs can be a bit noisey. They have a kid, probably 2 years of age and at times he just runs and runs and jumps and jumps! Have pounded on our ceilin g4 times over the past year. have talked to both of the parents twice--very politely and understanding that a kid is a kid! back in early december, the noise had gone on for over an hour, and I'm trying to write a paper, so my wife goes and knocks on their door, to just give them a friendly reminder about the noise! The lady (with door closed) asks who it is, my wife states your downstairs neighbor. lady immediately swings open the door and starts yelling and yelling at my wife, holy #######!! Im in the condo, and at first I though she was laughing, but nope, high pitched screaming and screaming!! Then her husband came tot he door and said his wife was under a lot of stress, no #######,lol! For the rest of the day she stomped around! Just weird, have been nothing but nice to these people,past winters have shoveled out their cars, wiped off the snow off their cars. Some people!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

It's true Flames.. kids are kids.. and I understand there will be times when they are loud.. but if you live in a building with other people, you have to be respectful (and teach your children to be respectful of others).. and there is actually "peace & tranquility" wording in our lease... all this garbage about respect and caring for each other.. we thought we were moving into a hippie commune when we signed the lease.. apparently our neighbors didn't get the same lease to sign. That's what cheeses me off the most.. what we were sold and what we got were 2 different things.

AOS:

Removal of Conditions:

Naturalization

Timeline

I only ever had bad neighbors once when I went to college in Barrie. The people downstairs were total a$$holes. My friend came to visit me and parked her car in our driveway and they told me she couldn't park it there because they needed it, even though they didn't have a car. We refused and in the morning there was a swastika imprinted in the snow on her hood. I went downstairs and asked them if they did it and they said no... yeaaa right. So I let them know I wasn't Jewish and I told them that the Swastika was backwards unless they were intending to bid me well and if so "thanks".

They'd make noise complaints when I wasn't even home like police would show up and I would be at school and not even there! They would constantly knock on my door complaining about everything they could, but would be up all hours slamming stuff around. Finally I just left, and my mom came with a Uhaul to help me move. The guy downstairs came out of his apartment and yelled to his wife: "CALL THE LANDLORD SHE'S LEAVING!" with this stupid smart assed smirk on his face.

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline
I only ever had bad neighbors once when I went to college in Barrie. The people downstairs were total a$$holes. My friend came to visit me and parked her car in our driveway and they told me she couldn't park it there because they needed it, even though they didn't have a car. We refused and in the morning there was a swastika imprinted in the snow on her hood. I went downstairs and asked them if they did it and they said no... yeaaa right. So I let them know I wasn't Jewish and I told them that the Swastika was backwards unless they were intending to bid me well and if so "thanks".

They'd make noise complaints when I wasn't even home like police would show up and I would be at school and not even there! They would constantly knock on my door complaining about everything they could, but would be up all hours slamming stuff around. Finally I just left, and my mom came with a Uhaul to help me move. The guy downstairs came out of his apartment and yelled to his wife: "CALL THE LANDLORD SHE'S LEAVING!" with this stupid smart assed smirk on his face.

Okay so for the record this is SO not what hubby & i are doing (inventing stories about our neighbors :)) :lol:

Edited by Emancipation

AOS:

Removal of Conditions:

Naturalization

Timeline
It's true Flames.. kids are kids.. and I understand there will be times when they are loud.. but if you live in a building with other people, you have to be respectful (and teach your children to be respectful of others).. and there is actually "peace & tranquility" wording in our lease... all this garbage about respect and caring for each other.. we thought we were moving into a hippie commune when we signed the lease.. apparently our neighbors didn't get the same lease to sign. That's what cheeses me off the most.. what we were sold and what we got were 2 different things.

Parents need to teach their kids some boundaries too. If my son begins to make too much noise than I know he needs to spend some energy so we'll go to the park or he'll go outside. I am sure they wouldn't like it if you made tons of noise and woke their kids up in the middle of the night. It goes both ways regardless of whether there's children, its up to the parents to control those kids.

Okay so for the record this is SO not what hubby & i are doing (inventing stories about our neighbors :)) :lol:

:lol: yes I know! I was just sharing my bad neighbor story.

They were such douchebags. The guy had like 3 teeth, I wanted to call him chomper. :lol:

Donne moi une poptart!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.