bradcanuck

The Vent

4,952 posts in this topic

I'm thinking you may have a very good idea. My only issue with it is that if those documents don't get to me by January 2, and in Canada the mail closes down for 4 days (I think), it would mean my hubby driving back by himself and us having to buy a plane ticket for me to return once I do get the documents.

Why can't things be simple? :hehe:

April 13, 2009 - Welcome to the USA letter rec'd. PRC to be rec'd within 3 weeks.

April 16, 2009 - 2 yr GC rec'd in mail.

March 2, 2011 - Mailed in I-751 to CSC

March 4, 2011 - I-751 delivered to CSC

March 4, 2011 - NOA issued

March 12, 2011 - NOA received

April 14, 2011 - BIO Appt 5/6/11

May 6, 2011 - BIO done in 10 minutes...no re-takes this time :)

June 27, 2011 - Email rec'd "Status - Approved"

July 1, 2011 - 10 yr GC arrived

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I was so upset this morning... I went to get my PA driver's license. I looked on the Penndot website before to find out exactly what non-US citzens required. I needed my Ontario license, SSN, K-1, passport, I-94, proof of residency, etc. So I went prepared and the clerk was so RUDE. I explained that I was here to get a PA driver's license and gave her all of my paperwork. She looked at my Visa and very rudely and with attitude said "Your Visa expires on January 11th, therefore you are no longer legal and don't qualify for a PA license". Well the Jan. 11th expiry date is just the date I had to activate my K-1, obviously but try explaining that to her. She kept insisting I wouldn't be legal anymore. I tried to explain how I got married and applied for AOS but it was like talking to a brick wall. Finally she called her manager over and he was very rude too. When I calmly tried to explain the K-1 he actually said "SETTLE DOWN MISS" like he was talking to a child and as if I was getting upset which I wasn't. I said "Actually, see this sheet here, I printed this off YOUR website. It indicates as a K-1 Visa holder I am entitled to a PA DL as long as I have the following paperwork listed, which I have." They hummed and hawed and finally decided to give it to me. I was so upset with the treatment and the way they spoke to me I had tears. I know it's silly but I'm always kind and polite to everyone and didn't deserve to be spoken to in that manner. The worst part was THEY work there and I was telling THEM what was required as a non-US citizen. I was so mad that once they gave me my temp DL I huffed out and didn't even register my car :angry: I'm going to go somewhere else to do that!!

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

^ oh Jill that sounded like an awful experience! I'm glad you're going to take your business elsewhere because that is so uncalled for. Can you imagine other people doing the same thing that don't have your patience or ability to explain your situation and come prepared. Stuff like that makes me so angry because they treat you as if you're trying to accomplish something illegal.

Wish there was a place you could complain to about their conduct. Head high - maybe you educated them for the next person in line.

I'm steamed too now - who are they to decide whether you're here legally or not and whether your documentation is valid. grrrrrrrrrrrr!

Timeline
^ oh Jill that sounded like an awful experience! I'm glad you're going to take your business elsewhere because that is so uncalled for. Can you imagine other people doing the same thing that don't have your patience or ability to explain your situation and come prepared. Stuff like that makes me so angry because they treat you as if you're trying to accomplish something illegal.

Wish there was a place you could complain to about their conduct. Head high - maybe you educated them for the next person in line.

I'm steamed too now - who are they to decide whether you're here legally or not and whether your documentation is valid. grrrrrrrrrrrr!

That's actually what bothered me the most. I was prepared and had the info from their website, and of course english if my first language. But what if an immigrant from another country went in and possibly was not as informed or didn't speak good english, they would have had a very difficult time and left without obtaining their DL. I would have asked to speak to a manager but the manager was rude as well :( I think they should have some sort of manual at the desk to explain the procedure for non-US Citizens so they are informed about the rules and restrictions.

Edited by JillA

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Filed: Timeline
I'm thinking you may have a very good idea. My only issue with it is that if those documents don't get to me by January 2, and in Canada the mail closes down for 4 days (I think), it would mean my hubby driving back by himself and us having to buy a plane ticket for me to return once I do get the documents.

Yeah, that would definitely present a problem. Though the couriers don't use Canada Post so at least you don't have that issue. I will keep my fingers crossed that your AP comes tomorrow.

I was so upset this morning... I went to get my PA driver's license. I looked on the Penndot website before to find out exactly what non-US citzens required. I needed my Ontario license, SSN, K-1, passport, I-94, proof of residency, etc. So I went prepared and the clerk was so RUDE. I explained that I was here to get a PA driver's license and gave her all of my paperwork. She looked at my Visa and very rudely and with attitude said "Your Visa expires on January 11th, therefore you are no longer legal and don't qualify for a PA license". Well the Jan. 11th expiry date is just the date I had to activate my K-1, obviously but try explaining that to her. She kept insisting I wouldn't be legal anymore. I tried to explain how I got married and applied for AOS but it was like talking to a brick wall. Finally she called her manager over and he was very rude too. When I calmly tried to explain the K-1 he actually said "SETTLE DOWN MISS" like he was talking to a child and as if I was getting upset which I wasn't. I said "Actually, see this sheet here, I printed this off YOUR website. It indicates as a K-1 Visa holder I am entitled to a PA DL as long as I have the following paperwork listed, which I have." They hummed and hawed and finally decided to give it to me. I was so upset with the treatment and the way they spoke to me I had tears. I know it's silly but I'm always kind and polite to everyone and didn't deserve to be spoken to in that manner. The worst part was THEY work there and I was telling THEM what was required as a non-US citizen. I was so mad that once they gave me my temp DL I huffed out and didn't even register my car :angry: I'm going to go somewhere else to do that!!

(((((BIG Hugs, Jill)))))

I found it very disheartening dealing with the government bodies here in the US. I don't think there was one office I went to where I didn't have to stand my ground and insist upon my rights. Very very frustrating. I'm so glad that first year is over. :(

iagree.gif

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

My rant: I have the Select Service account plan with TD. If I keep my balance above $5,000 every month, I don't get charged the $25 fee. I've had this account for two months and so far, every month they charge me the $25, despite the fact I have far more than $5,000 in there. I've even called TD support and although they claim to "fix" the problem for me, it keeps occurring.

They refund the charge, but that's not even the point. If I have more in my account than the required balance, this shouldn't happen. That's my issue. Unless my account does fall beneath $5,000 (which it hasn't yet), I don't want to deal with this.

I found it very disheartening dealing with the government bodies here in the US. I don't think there was one office I went to where I didn't have to stand my ground and insist upon my rights. Very very frustrating. I'm so glad that first year is over. :(

Same experience, but with the Canadian government. Honestly, I think government in general (no matter which country we're talking about) is illogical and screwed up.

Timeline
My rant: I have the Select Service account plan with TD. If I keep my balance above $5,000 every month, I don't get charged the $25 fee. I've had this account for two months and so far, every month they charge me the $25, despite the fact I have far more than $5,000 in there. I've even called TD support and although they claim to "fix" the problem for me, it keeps occurring.

They refund the charge, but that's not even the point. If I have more in my account than the required balance, this shouldn't happen. That's my issue. Unless my account does fall beneath $5,000 (which it hasn't yet), I don't want to deal with this.

Same experience, but with the Canadian government. Honestly, I think government in general (no matter which country we're talking about) is illogical and screwed up.

I think the difference is that in your own country you know how to get things done.

Take your problem with them registering the wrong name for your PR - I bet you I could have cleared that up in a day or two.

I have banked in Canada with TD and CIBC, I have banked in New Zealand - hands down, without even a close runner up - RBC U.S. is the absolute worst bank. I haven't even bothered to post about them lately - but the problems are ongoing and I don't think a month has passed where I haven't had to call them to correct something. I don't understand how they work - which makes it more difficult.

Edited by trailmix

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I think the difference is that in your own country you know how to get things done.

Take your problem with them registering the wrong name for your PR - I bet you I could have cleared that up in a day or two.

I have banked in Canada with TD and CIBC, I have banked in New Zealand - hands down, without even a close runner up - RBC U.S. is the absolute worst bank. I haven't even bothered to post about them lately - but the problems are ongoing and I don't think a month has passed where I haven't had to call them to correct something. I don't understand how they work - which makes it more difficult.

I really don't know if I could've cleared up the PR issue any faster in the United States. I've never applied for one there, so it's entirely possible the situation wouldn't be much different.

As for the the American branch of RBC, that hardly surprises me. They're a Canadian bank trying to make a foothold in the United States, which at the moment, is suffering from national banking issues. RBC's banks are located only in select areas of the U.S. and most Americans have never even heard of them. Considering the recent banking issues, I think they're doing pretty good. They'll never rival BoA in the U.S., but BoA couldn't compete with RBC in Canada.

What I find most interesting about RBC's American branch is how they changed the name and symbol. Instead of referring to it as "The Royal Bank of Canada," it's simply called "RBC." The crown that used to be above the globe was removed when RBC expanded into the U.S., as well. I've read that RBC did those, because it figured most Americans wouldn't like seeing anything related to royalty. I can't say I completely disagree, but if a company is doing well and can help me somehow, I don't really care what they're called.

Timeline

Not saying this is the situation (moat likely not), but with most banks if your acct goes below the determined level, even by 1 cent, they will ding ya with the fees!! happened to me a few yrars back with CIBC, in my one account, I think I had to keep a min of $1000 to get the free banking benefits, well, the account went below by less than $1 and whammooo they hit me with fees galore!, ouch,lol

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Timeline

That shouldn't be happening. Forget calling customer service. I'd go down to your branch and speak with them in person so they can correct the error in their database.

Ha ha. You're experiencing the same problems, but in reverse. It's nice to know we're not post-21394-1229885859.gifspecialpost-21394-1229885859.gif.

:lol:

What I find most interesting about RBC's American branch is how they changed the name and symbol. Instead of referring to it as "The Royal Bank of Canada," it's simply called "RBC." The crown that used to be above the globe was removed when RBC expanded into the U.S., as well. I've read that RBC did those, because it figured most Americans wouldn't like seeing anything related to royalty. I can't say I completely disagree, but if a company is doing well and can help me somehow, I don't really care what they're called.

It's known as RBC in Canada too. But I hadn't noticed that the crown had gone! Now I'll have to look more closely next time I see it. lol

iagree.gif

Timeline

Doesn't the visa have to have a certain amount of time left on it? As I have understood it, many states require the visa to be valid for x number of days in order to use it as proof to get a DL. The thing I find so tricky is that technically, the K-1 visa is null after you get married and if you don't file for AOS right away doesn't it leave you in limbo?

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Timeline
Ha ha. You're experiencing the same problems, but in reverse. It's nice to know we're not post-21394-1229885859.gifspecialpost-21394-1229885859.gif.

I guess really krikit gives a good example of what I am talking about - about being in your familiar environment. In her 'Canadian' experience, she knows that it is sometimes best to go right to the branch and get it sorted out.

For instance, if you were having a problem with your mortgage or wanted to talk to someone about your mortgage, you would pick up the phone or go to your branch and see them. Here - I have talked to some woman on the phone - who basically gets a commission (I would imagine) if I pick up a mtg with them - there is no one at the bank to talk to about it - who knew!?

I suppose what I am really talking about is experience - you have experience in your own country, when you are talking to these departments you know what they are talking about - and if you don't - well you have a variety of friends and friends of friends who may well have experience with whatever - be it immigration of whether banking with the crownless RBC is a good idea or not.

Timeline

Whatever:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...t&p=2495655

Hi Gleb,

You have done a great job of framing this question, and setting out the facts.

I suggest you also post this matter on Britishexpats.com under the 'USA marriage based visa" forum. . . It is much larger than this venue, and the persons there are, in many instances, more knowledgeable than those here.

Timeline
:lol: Wow what a B****!

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Timeline
:lol: Wow what a B****!

with a lot of nerve!! :) tee hee.. must be an organizer sent to spy on VJ I figure! :wacko:

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.