bradcanuck

The Vent

4,952 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
[/size]

I WANT MY BABY TO START BREASTFEEDING!!!!!!!!

I have NEVER experienced anything so difficult. I really want to do this, but it is so frustrating when he doesn't latch or falls asleep right away (pretty much every time). I am so tired of crying about it too, but can't seem to stop doing that. I've read a lot about how challenging breastfeeding can be and know I am experiencing the "baby blues", but knowing all that still doesn't make it feel better.

Howdy!! I really enjoyed my OB rotation this past semester (RN student). Many people think breastfeeding comes naturally to the baby, but that isnt always the case. Can you make an appt with a lactation consultant? They have oodles of knowledge, a lot better than the internet,lol Your family Dr should be able to point you in the right direction. Are you giving the baby bottles as well? I was suprised of all the facts I learned about breastmilk. I just thought the milk that came out was the same, but no! The first milk that comes (foremilk)out is more quenching, and the hindmilk which is richer in fat and more satisfying, and that leads to weigh gain. Which is 1 reason why one should stick to 1 breast for a bit so they get the hindmilk!! I didnt know that, you probably do. And the more you breastfeed, the more milk you wil keep producing and reduce breast swelling,so many tid bits of info--sort of a study reminder for myself,lol

Tips from my book on a baby that falls asleep while feeding:

Rub babys hair or cheeks gently, stroke around mouth, or shift position to see if he wil wake up

remove baby from breast,rub infants back to bring up bubbles of air and help awaken baby

wash babys face with a lukewarm cloth to wake up baby

And of course the mothers Nipples come into play as well. flat or inverted nipples can cause problems, but there are ways to fix that.

This is just a bit of info, which you are probably very aware of. I do strongly recommend you see a lactation consultant,they have a wealth of knowledge. And if you decide to bottle feed, there is nothing wrong with that! yes moms milk is the best, but bottle milk is still a healthy choice, and your not a bad mom nor a failure!! Millions of babys are bottle fed, I was, and look how normal i am? lol And I hope you have someone you can discuss with about your baby blues, it is a real problem. your body has gone through soo many changes the past 9 or so months, hormonal levels going crazy and its a stressful (and joyful) experience. Your doing great by asking questions, congrats on being a mom!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline
I have NEVER experienced anything so difficult. I really want to do this, but it is so frustrating when he doesn't latch or falls asleep right away (pretty much every time). I am so tired of crying about it too, but can't seem to stop doing that. I've read a lot about how challenging breastfeeding can be and know I am experiencing the "baby blues", but knowing all that still doesn't make it feel better.

Aww Autumn! I want to suggest that you not beat yourself up about this, however when you are already frustrated and feeling down, that is not a very helpful suggestion is it?

Breastfeeding is a wonderful thing, but if you have had enough, then why not go ahead and use formula. I just want to say that my 6' 3" strapping baby boy is healthy and happy and he drank Similac!!

[/size]

I WANT MY BABY TO START BREASTFEEDING!!!!!!!!

Howdy!! I really enjoyed my OB rotation this past semester (RN student). Many people think breastfeeding comes naturally to the baby, but that isnt always the case. Can you make an appt with a lactation consultant? They have oodles of knowledge, a lot better than the internet,lol Your family Dr should be able to point you in the right direction. Are you giving the baby bottles as well? I was suprised of all the facts I learned about breastmilk. I just thought the milk that came out was the same, but no! The first milk that comes (foremilk)out is more quenching, and the hindmilk which is richer in fat and more satisfying, and that leads to weigh gain. Which is 1 reason why one should stick to 1 breast for a bit so they get the hindmilk!! I didnt know that, you probably do. And the more you breastfeed, the more milk you wil keep producing and reduce breast swelling,so many tid bits of info--sort of a study reminder for myself,lol

Tips from my book on a baby that falls asleep while feeding:

Rub babys hair or cheeks gently, stroke around mouth, or shift position to see if he wil wake up

remove baby from breast,rub infants back to bring up bubbles of air and help awaken baby

wash babys face with a lukewarm cloth to wake up baby

And of course the mothers Nipples come into play as well. flat or inverted nipples can cause problems, but there are ways to fix that.

This is just a bit of info, which you are probably very aware of. I do strongly recommend you see a lactation consultant,they have a wealth of knowledge. And if you decide to bottle feed, there is nothing wrong with that! yes moms milk is the best, but bottle milk is still a healthy choice, and your not a bad mom nor a failure!! Millions of babys are bottle fed, I was, and look how normal i am? lol And I hope you have someone you can discuss with about your baby blues, it is a real problem. your body has gone through soo many changes the past 9 or so months, hormonal levels going crazy and its a stressful (and joyful) experience. Your doing great by asking questions, congrats on being a mom!!

flames...you're going to be an excellent nurse!!! (F) What a wonderul posting. You sound just like the caring nurse I had when I had trouble breastfeeding. It does take time...and I was so stressed, which if it hasn't been said already, GREATLY impacts your ability to breastfeed. Don't ever think your baby doesn't know when you're having difficulty and doesn't want to feed. I have very dark hair, but very fair skin...and my nipples were very sensitive and not "tough" at all. I had to sit under lamps, I had bleeding and broken nipples for the longest time. I eventually persisted however, and got the knack, and the toughened up nipples! With everything that's going on...new baby, and the not so nice experiences with breastfeeding, make sure you are doing nice things for YOURSELF.

Also remember, while breastfeeding is wonderful...it's not for everyone. Getting down on yourself for things not going great in that area right now, can further your dumping on yourself this affects your hormones and self esteem. This is NOT about you being a good mother. It's not about you as a person either.

A happy mother, is passed onto baby. Get some help from here if you can. They're really helpful, and if someone is in your area, they can come out and help out as well.

http://www.llli.org/WebUS.html

Let us know how things are going for you. You deserve all the hugs and caring you want!

carlahmsb4.gif

Timeline
Aww Hugs to Necrotica

let it out if you need too

*hugs* Thank you very much... I really want to let it out, but I'm having trouble expressing myself right now. I'm sure it'll come out soon enough.

I'm sorry to hear that Necrotica, vent away when you are ready!!

Liz, it really does sound like fleas or bed bugs, I hope your potions get rid of whatever it is!

And Spirit, you soooo need to move to Florida!!

WOW!

What a couple of great pages of shtuff.

Full on.

Lesseee, Mumsie and Krikit and their seafoam green bathrooms. Sounds yummy.

Okay, I shall prep a photo for posting...you will get a laugh at mine (the accessories).

Thanks for the song lyrics Mumsie. Nice find! :D

Sweet Liz, do be careful with all those poisons. After all what you put into your air, is what you ingest.

Even sleeping on sheets that have been sprayed or something will find its way into your organs.

Can you stay somewhere else while your place is fumigated?

Maybe that way you can see if your bites will stop.

What I have heard about bedbugs is there would be some red (blood) streaks on your sheets if that was the case.

Kang Lang, yes absolutely, relationships can be brutal. All kinds of relationships; remember ones with parents, siblings, best friends? Yup, it's all there: emotion.

Please do read The Four Agreements, it will help you and your partner tons.

A synopsis here: http://www.miguelruiz.com/fouragreements.html (scroll down on the page).

I live by these principles as much as humanly possible. :thumbs:

Autumnchick, you are definitely not alone. My good friend would lay down with her baby from sheer exhaustion of trying to breastfeed.

It worked eventually. It became so natural in time. (F)

And Flames, who would have thunk such advice would come from you.

I commend you.

Great going! :D

Congrats on transforming yourself into an awesome nurse and medical helper.

Necrotica, what can I say here. There is a difference (obviously) between mental and emotional problems.

A person close to me is under going some psychiatric testing to see where they are at, having thought it was all emotional.

I do not condone medication, and yet it is necessary for some people.

My preference is to have the people who care about you to talk to.

After all, the things left unsaid are the poisons in our lives.

Dearest Ron and Sharon, my tiny knowledge on metaphysics tells me that you both do not want to live under these conditions, with good reason.

Please know that disease is really dis-ease (out of ease). This may sound trite, however I would love for you to read this and get that I am reaching beyond the surface, getting to core of the matter.

Things for you (all) to do: take the greatest of care of yourselves.

Eat well. Do this! It is really challenging to nourish the body when you don't feel well.

Exercise or dance or stretch...breathe. Getting into your body takes you out of your mind...where fear lies. Believe me I know.

Support: keep talking. To us, to loved ones, to strangers at a park bench, to a professional. Every one.

Turn your face to the sun, close your eyes and visualize the results you want.

Please know that even thought this all may sound like a greeting card or something (bah), it is coming straight from my heart to yours. (L)

Phew, I can't believe I remembered all this to respond to in one shot.

:star:

SpiritAlight edits due to extreme lack of typing abilities. :)

You will do foolish things.

Do them with enthusiasm!!

Don't just do something. Sit there.

K1: Flew to the U.S. of A. – January 9th, 2008 (HELLO CHI-TOWN!!! I'm here.)

Tied the knot (legal ceremony, part one) – January 26th, 2008 (kinda spontaneous)

AOS: Mailed V-Day; received February 15th, 2007 – phew!

I-485 application transferred to CSC – March 12th, 2008

Travel/Work approval notices via email – April 23rd, 2008

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Funny-looking card arrives – September 6th, 2008 :)

Mailed request to remove conditions – July 7, 2010

Landed permanent resident approved – August 23rd, 2010

Second funny looking card arrives – August 31st, 2010

Over & out, Spirit

And Spirit, you soooo need to move to Florida!!

Yup, you are not kidding.

I had this fantasy of living in SanFran and after speaking to a family member (in-law) who has lived there 30 years, San Diego would be better if we do go to the West Coast.

So many places to explore and only one of me!

Hee, hee.

Tied the knot (legal ceremony, part one) – January 26th, 2008 (kinda spontaneous)

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Over & out, Spirit

Here's a partial look.

Have a giggle:

bathroomcolour.jpg

sunplant.jpg

What else are ya gonna do...but the best under the circumstances.

Ha!

All I can think about when I look at that shower curtain is

"Meet George Jetson..."

Over & out, Spirit

and yes, I know introducing a bunch of chemicals into our house is obviously dangerous...

Yesterday I called Orkin but they wouldn't give me an appt b/c we're not the owners of the unit.

So I wrote an email to our landlord all pissed off but polite =) that the building's maintenance isn't doing anything and the seasonal spraying that the building does actually skipped our appt last time b/c I needed an extra min to get out when then came in and they said they'd be back. Three hrs later when we returned to our unit from the dog park, giving our place ample time to air out, there was no sign in our appt like they normally leave saying that they were in our place and sprayed

our place is so ghetto. I can't wait til I get a job and we start house hunting and find something of our own.

sigh.

vj_sig-2-2_2.jpg

Timeline

Woo hoo Spirit! I like it :)

I personally couldn't do anything like that because a lot of stuff and/or color makes me squirrelly - however, I can totally appreciate it and it is such a happy room :thumbs:

Edited by trailmix

:D

Over & out, Spirit

I wouldn't do any illegal substances in that bathroom if I were you..

not that you do any....

=) but just in case!!!

I completely understand.

Hee, hee.

You should see the razzle dazzly bath mat too.

It is all fun.

As it should be.

What with all the pee tests, etc. one needs to remain "good" here in the U.S. of A.

Oh but you can drink yourself into a stupor!!! :blink:

That is legal.

Bah.

Over & out, Spirit

:lol:

Nice one.

Edited by SpiritAlight

Over & out, Spirit

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.