The Vent

4,952 posts in this topic

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
ooooh, sobey's is having a 2 for a $1 sale of something, I see ;)

I was there last night, dollar days don't you know haha

I had two conversations and rescued a can of rolling peanuts - it was a very exciting trip.

I've been off work for 4 hours now and I can still feel my hard hat on my head :hehe:

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

This has been one really ###### up day :( and it has nothing to do with golf

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Bee and I just got home from dinner, after having the worst waiter ever.

I've never seen Bee give such a low tip - shows how annoyed he must've been. -_-

Nini - Vancouver BC, Canada (she's the one who does the forum thing)

Bee - Devon PA, USA (he's the one who gave her the shiny ring)

Getting our sanity tested by bureaucracy since 2007.

Here we go again...

Removal of conditions @ VSC

9/4/2010 - sent!

9/14/2010 - NOA

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
ooooh, sobey's is having a 2 for a $1 sale of something, I see ;)

2 Greenbacks for a Loonie? :lol:

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Timeline
Found this list of "things" to say to telemarketers:
  1. If they want to loan you money, tell them you just filed for bankruptcy and you could sure use some money.
  2. If they start out with, "How are you today?" say, "Why do you want to know?" Alternately, you can tell them, "I'm so glad you asked, because no one these days seems to care, and I have all these problems; my arthritis is acting up, my eyelashes are sore, my car won't start..." When they try to get to the sell, just keep talking about your problems.
  3. If they say they're John Doe from XYZ Company, ask them to spell their name. Then ask them to spell the company name. Then ask them where it is located. Continue asking them personal questions or questions about their company for as long as necessary.
  4. This works great if you are male: Telemarketer: "Hi, my name is Judy and I'm with XYZ Company..." You: (Wait for a second) With a real husky voice ask, "What are you wearing?"
  5. Cry out in surprise, "Judy! Is that you? Oh my God! Judy, how have you been?" Hopefully, this will give Judy a few brief moments of terror as she tries to figure out where she could know you from.
  6. Say "No", over and over. Be sure to vary the sound of each one, and keep a rhythmic tempo, even as they are trying to speak. This is most fun if you can do it until they hang up.
  7. If MCI calls trying to get you to sign up for the Family and Friends Plan, reply, in as SINISTER a voice as you can, "I don't have any friends...would YOU be my friend?"
  8. If the company cleans rugs, respond: "Can you get blood out? Can you get out GOAT blood? How about HUMAN blood?
  9. Ask him/her to marry you. When they get all flustered, tell them that you could not just give your credit card number to a complete stranger.
  10. Tell the telemarketer that you work for the same company, they often can't sell to their fellow employees.
  11. Answer the phone. As soon as you realize it is a telemarketer, set the receiver down, shout or scream "Oh my God!!!" and then hang-up.
  12. Tell the telemarketer you are busy at the moment and ask them if they will give you their HOME phone number, you will call them back. When the telemarketer explains that they cannot give out their HOME number, you say "I guess you don't want anyone bothering you at home, right?" The telemarketer will agree and you say, "Now you know how I feel!" Hang up.
  13. Ask them to repeat everything they say, several times.
  14. Tell them it is dinner time, BUT ask if they would please hold. Put them on your speaker phone while you continue to eat at your leisure. Smack your food loudly and continue with your dinner conversation.
  15. Tell the telemarketer you are on "home incarceration" and ask if they could bring you some beer.
  16. Tell the telemarketer, "Okay, I will listen to you. But I should probably tell you, I'm not wearing any clothes."
  17. Insist that the caller is really your buddy Leon, playing a joke. "Come on Leon, cut it out! Seriously, Leon, how's your momma?"
  18. Tell them you are hard of hearing and that they need to speak up... louder... louder... louder...
  19. Tell them to talk VERY SLOWLY, because you want to write DOWN EVERY WORD.
:devil:

They left out some of my favs. "Me no English." Don't use the Ol' Que? bit, they might speak Spanish. Try a vague foreign accent and remember to throw in some uvulating. Uvulating seems to have the strangest effect on the average American's alimentary canal. That's the real brown noise. :) The sound boards are great fun for this kind of thing. Judge Judy or Tony Montana, they're both great. Air horns are great, especially if you have a friend who's an audiologist or otolaryngologist. They'll appreciate the business. Of course, if you just don't want to be mean, hang up immediately.

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Timeline

we signed up for the do not call list and it works great, EXCEPT you still get the police dept, fire dept calling for donations!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Chile
Timeline

The worst offenders by far is Bell Canada. They called me weekly to offer new services, internet services and I think they use a call center out of India. I couldn't understand them most the time.

My blog

10/01/2005: Married in Toronto

02/15/2006: Began Canadian Immigration

09/19/2007: Withdrew CIC application (they still hadn't processed anything)

10/01/2007: Moved back to U.S.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IR-1 application through Montreal Consulate

10/26/2007: I-130 mailed to CA Service Center

10/29/2007: USPS confirmation of receipt of I-130

02/13/2008: NOA-1 received (107 days)

07/02/2008: I-130 approved

07/22/2008: AOS filed including EAD and AP

07/25/2008: NOA-1s for all 3 received

08/20/2008: Biometrics appointment

08/22/2008: Received RFE for Affadivit of Support and Medical

10/21/2008: Submitted I-865W in lieu of co-sponsor and medical info to NSC

11/14/2008: online case status not updated since filing of AOS in July 2008

01/20/2009: Received another RFE for Affadavit of Support Info

02/02/2009: Responded to RFE with brand new AOS based on 2008 tax return (if that doesn't shut them up, dunno what will)

02/19/2009: EAD card received in mail (no updates on Online Case Status ever made)

02/23/2009: AP received (again, no online updates)

02/26/2009: Received interview appointment letter for 4/6/09

04/06/2009: AOS approved for unconditional GC

04/21/2009: GC received

Yesterday we went to Bee's local State Farm office so that he could add me onto the car insurance. I don't know how to describe the guy who helped us out, but he was a bit of an eejit - afterwards we were shaking our heads wondering why we still go to him. It also didn't occur to us (or the agent!) that I'd changed my name after marriage, so since the agent took most my information off a photocopy of my BC DL, the car insurance is now registered in my maiden name. Aie.

We got a phone call today from Agent Eejit telling us that the monthly insurance payment would be increased by 2/3rds more and that I was now registered as the primary driver of the car because I'm under 25. Bee drives that car about 95% of the time! Say whaaaaat? :blink:

Edited by Nini & Bee

Nini - Vancouver BC, Canada (she's the one who does the forum thing)

Bee - Devon PA, USA (he's the one who gave her the shiny ring)

Getting our sanity tested by bureaucracy since 2007.

Here we go again...

Removal of conditions @ VSC

9/4/2010 - sent!

9/14/2010 - NOA

Timeline

we were originally with State farm,they were Ok, Switched over to USAA, rates were much lower, and better service. One has to phone around to get the best deals!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

when my hubby added me they just asked if I had a good driving record in Canada and I said yes and that was it, they added me, no problem :lol:

we pay about $90 a month for full coverage and if we get another car it will only be about $30 more a month....

i think it is called Lincoln General Insurance but we have to go through a darn underwriter :P

mvSuprise-hug.gif

We have State Farm. Gene added me to both vehicles, for $0.00. He said while he was waiting for them to check into if we would have to pay more for adding me, he mumbled under his breath, that if he DID have to, we'd be changing agents. We have house and vehicles with State Farm. Anyway, don't know if that mattered or not, but no increase for adding me, and we both have full coverage.

Carla (F)

carlahmsb4.gif

Timeline

Ya State farm didnt charge any extra for me when I was added on. Of course I'm over 25 though!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Being married gives a line discount, students, good driving records... we have perfect records and so we have some insane 300% discount.

Current Status
July, 2011 - US Citizen

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.