djlg

SSN QUESTION...

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: South Korea
Timeline

OK i have a question... my fiancee just arrived in the US but i know we r suppose to wait for 2 weeks before we can get her a social security number... but our wedding is gonna be in 2 weeks... so my question is can i still apply for the SSN after we get married so she can already apply for it with my last name without having to apply for her AOS and her EAD first? I hope this makes sense... thanks in advance for any help...

I can only recommend to do what we did and that was go to the SSA office after the beneficiary has been in the U.S. for two weeks. It worked well for us.

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

OK i have a question... my fiancee just arrived in the US but i know we r suppose to wait for 2 weeks before we can get her a social security number... but our wedding is gonna be in 2 weeks... so my question is can i still apply for the SSN after we get married so she can already apply for it with my last name without having to apply for her AOS and her EAD first? I hope this makes sense... thanks in advance for any help...

You can apply for SSN after the wedding, presuming you don't need an SSN to get married in your state. Some people have had trouble on occasion getting an SSN in their married name.

keTiiDCjGVo

You can apply for your SSN either before or after your marriage. A few things to note however!

Your timeline hasn't been updated, so I don't know when your visa expires. You can get a SSN card, ususally once your fiance has been in the USA for about 2 weeks, HOWEVER, you must still have more than 76 days remaining on your visa to get the SSN card.

I went and got my SSN card before I married, so it was issued in my married name. When I went back to have it changed after my marriage, I couldn't, until I had AOS, because there was too little time left before my visa expired. I just got it changed after, but if I hadn't had the original, I wouldn't have been able to get that one either if I had of left it that late.

Carla (F)

carlahmsb4.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.