nmahadka

Question about middle name!

8 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Hi,

I am of Indian origin. My finance and I just got married and received our marriage certificate. In our culture a daughter has her fathers name before marriage and husbands name after marriage. On the marriage certificate they mention her Name, middle name, and pre-marriage surname. This middle name is her fathers name. They also mention her new surname. Which is my surname.

My questions is this...can I simple file the AOS with my name as her middle name? or is there something I should do before I can file this way?

Regards... and thanks in advance!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Hi,

I am of Indian origin. My finance and I just got married and received our marriage certificate. In our culture a daughter has her fathers name before marriage and husbands name after marriage. On the marriage certificate they mention her Name, middle name, and pre-marriage surname. This middle name is her fathers name. They also mention her new surname. Which is my surname.

My questions is this...can I simple file the AOS with my name as her middle name? or is there something I should do before I can file this way?

"Name" means current legal name. If she is your fiance, your name is not part of her name in any way.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

I think you are married, right? So, the surname is the legal last name. If there is no middle name then just leave the middle name blank. A middle name is not a legal requirement. Many americans don't have middle names, you are not required to fill it in and use her father's last name or anything of the sort.

GHANA.GIFBassi and Zainab US1.GIF

I-129F Sent: 6-18-2007

Interview date: 6-24-2008

Pick up Visa: 6-27-2008

Arrive JFK POE: 7-2-2008

Marriage: 7-9-2008

AOS

mailed AOS, EAD, AP: 8-22-2008

NOA AOS, EAD, AP: 8-27-2008

Biometrics: 9-18-2008

AOS Transferred to CSC: 9-25-2008

Requested EAD Expedite: 11-12-2008

EAD Card production ordered: 11-12-2008 changed to 11/17/2008 Why? (I hope it doesn't change every week!)

Received AP: 11/17/2008

Received EAD: 11/22/08 (Praise God!!)

AOS RFE: 1/29/2009

AOS Approved: 3/24/2009

Called USCIS 4/1/2009 told no status change and case not yet reviewed from RFE request.

Received green card: 4/3/2009

Hi,

In our family code in my country, we should use our maiden name as our middle name once we got married.

Here's how it works for us:

Maria - first name

Reyes - middle name (mother's maiden name)

Ramos - family name (father's surname)

After marriage, it would be this way:

Maria - first name

Ramos - middle name

Smith - married name

--Mae

N-400 NATURALIZATION

04/04/2011 - Mailed N-400 to AZ Lockbox

04/06/2011 - Received

04/07/2011 - NOA

04/07/2011 - Check cashed

04/14/2011 - Biometrics appointment in the mail

04/21/2011 - Early Biometrics (was scheduled on May 4, 2011)

05/09/2011 - Case Status Notification - In line for interview and testing

05/10/2011 - Case Status Notification - Interview scheduled

05/14/2011 - Interview Appointment Letter in the mail

06/21/2011 - Interview Appointment Date

06/29/2011 - Case Status Notification - Placed in the oath scheduling que

08/16/2011 - Case Status Notification - Oath ceremony scheduled

09/15/2011 - Oath Taking - good riddance!

09/23/2011 - Applied for Passport

10/08/2011 - Passport in the mail

10/17/2011 - Certificate of Naturalization in the mail -- OFFICIALLY DONE!

"Love is a noble act of self-giving, offering trust, faith, and loyalty.

The more you love, the more you lose a part of yourself, yet you don't become less of who you are;

you end up being complete with your loved ones."

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Hi,

In our family code in my country, we should use our maiden name as our middle name once we got married.

Maria - first name

Maria - first name

Ramos - middle name

Smith - married name

--Mae

Posting in the K1 forum and referring to the beneficiary as his "finance", I'm pretty sure they aren't married yet.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
Hi,

My finance and I just got married and received our marriage certificate.

Posting in the K1 forum and referring to the beneficiary as his "finance", I'm pretty sure they aren't married yet.

I think his english is just a little off that's all, because his second sentence says that his fiancee and he just got married. So I think he's married.

GHANA.GIFBassi and Zainab US1.GIF

I-129F Sent: 6-18-2007

Interview date: 6-24-2008

Pick up Visa: 6-27-2008

Arrive JFK POE: 7-2-2008

Marriage: 7-9-2008

AOS

mailed AOS, EAD, AP: 8-22-2008

NOA AOS, EAD, AP: 8-27-2008

Biometrics: 9-18-2008

AOS Transferred to CSC: 9-25-2008

Requested EAD Expedite: 11-12-2008

EAD Card production ordered: 11-12-2008 changed to 11/17/2008 Why? (I hope it doesn't change every week!)

Received AP: 11/17/2008

Received EAD: 11/22/08 (Praise God!!)

AOS RFE: 1/29/2009

AOS Approved: 3/24/2009

Called USCIS 4/1/2009 told no status change and case not yet reviewed from RFE request.

Received green card: 4/3/2009

Filed: Country: India
Timeline
Hi,

You are legally married and you are filing for K-1? I am little confused??? Did you mean to post this question in some other forum and posted here it by mistake???

USCIS

2008-03-01: I-130 Sent

2008-03-10: I-130 NOA1

2008-08-11: NOA2 I-130 - APPROVED

NVC

2008-08-14: Package forwarded to NVC

2008-08-25: DS3032 Generated and AOS Bill Generated

2008-08-26: IIN Obtained

2008-08-26: COA Emailed

2008-08-27: Paid AOS Bill (online)

2008-08-29: AOS Bill status "PAID" on NVC website

2008-08-29: AOS Bill and DS3032 hardcopy arrived in mail

2008-09-13: Paid IV Bill (online)

2008-09-05: COA Accepted by NVC

2008-09-05: Mailed I-864

2008-09-17: IV Bill status "PAID" on NVC website

2008-09-23 : Mailed DS-230

2008-10-01 : Case Complete

2008-11-01 : Medical Exam

2008-11-06 : VFS Office visit

2008-11-20 : Interview ...APPROVED

2008-11-22: Visa in Hand

2008-12-12 : POE in Chicago

2009-01-03 : Received Welcome Letter

2009-01-30 : Received Social Security #

2009-01-12: Received Another Welcome Letter w/ GC

2009-01-12 : Received Green Card

Hi,

Maria - first name

Maria - first name

Ramos - middle name

Smith - married name

--Mae

They are married...

You are legally married and you are filing for K-1? I am little confused??? Did you mean to post this question in some other forum and posted here it by mistake???

We don't have to be so self-righteous... We always encounter topic posted in a wrong section and it's the moderators/organizers job to move them eventually in the right one. For now, let's just reply to the post if we know what to say instead of telling the OP that the spelling is wrong, the topic is at the wrong section, etc.

--Mae

Edited by David-Mae Forever

N-400 NATURALIZATION

04/04/2011 - Mailed N-400 to AZ Lockbox

04/06/2011 - Received

04/07/2011 - NOA

04/07/2011 - Check cashed

04/14/2011 - Biometrics appointment in the mail

04/21/2011 - Early Biometrics (was scheduled on May 4, 2011)

05/09/2011 - Case Status Notification - In line for interview and testing

05/10/2011 - Case Status Notification - Interview scheduled

05/14/2011 - Interview Appointment Letter in the mail

06/21/2011 - Interview Appointment Date

06/29/2011 - Case Status Notification - Placed in the oath scheduling que

08/16/2011 - Case Status Notification - Oath ceremony scheduled

09/15/2011 - Oath Taking - good riddance!

09/23/2011 - Applied for Passport

10/08/2011 - Passport in the mail

10/17/2011 - Certificate of Naturalization in the mail -- OFFICIALLY DONE!

"Love is a noble act of self-giving, offering trust, faith, and loyalty.

The more you love, the more you lose a part of yourself, yet you don't become less of who you are;

you end up being complete with your loved ones."

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.