L_n_O

Rogers to Verizon cell phone Q

14 posts in this topic

So, I have a Rogers Cell phone right now (Motorola SLVR L7)

it's got a SIM card

Going to be calling Rogers on the 15th of Oct to officially give them 30 days notice that I will be breaking my contract and paying the $200 to do so since I'll be moving (if all goes well in MTL)

So, in the US, can I keep my current cell phone and take it into a Verizon store and get another SIM card?

I really like my phone and don't want to just toss it.. =(

vj_sig-2-2_2.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

you should be able to-but I'd go to the real verizon store not just any random reseller. keep insisting that it's possible and i'm pretty sure they'll figure out how to do it. especially if you tell them that it's the deciding factor in which carrier you're going with

Edited by thermophile

met summer 1999, summer 2000 hooked up-whoo hoo summer fling

summer fling failed to fizzle, married 2003

I-130 mailed 12/15/03

4/1/04 no word from NE contacted senators office, app found

NOA1 4/13/04

Gave up on ridiculously long US process-started Canadian

12/4/04 submitted app

LSS app returned because of missed signatures, lost in transit, resubmitted in June

9/28/05 landed, yippie

10/4/05 fly back to US to "finish up Master's" lose mind and switch to PhD

Damn it back to the US process

3/something/2005 finally get NOA2, no idea why it took so long

4/15/07 get case approval from NVC

8/9/07 Montreal here we come

10/14/07 hubby activated his visa

The problem with Verizon is that they're on a CDMA network, which means that they don't use SIM cards. Rogers is on a GSM network - in a nutshell, GSM networks utilize SIM cards, CDMA networks don't. The other problem is that any phone company (whether it's Rogers, Telus, Bell, Fido, or Virgin) program their phones to lock into their specific network, so even if you purchase a SIM card from somewhere like Cingular AT&T or T-Mobile, it might not work in the phone.

A way to get around that is to get the phone "unlocked" for use in any network, in which case you can just buy a SIM card from AT&T or T-Mobile. But even then it's iffy as to whether you can use it, since the phone you're wishing to use may not be compatiable with the network's band frequency.

(Can you tell I worked at my electronics job for way too long?)

Edited by Nini & Bee

Nini - Vancouver BC, Canada (she's the one who does the forum thing)

Bee - Devon PA, USA (he's the one who gave her the shiny ring)

Getting our sanity tested by bureaucracy since 2007.

Here we go again...

Removal of conditions @ VSC

9/4/2010 - sent!

9/14/2010 - NOA

:huh: ok.. going have to re-read your post again to make sense of it..

so basically, I gotta get a new phone? ^_^ ??

where would I go to unlock my phone? do I do that here or in the US?

and how do I find out if it's compatible with the network's band frequency?

vj_sig-2-2_2.jpg

Well, you've got a few options:

1) Get your phone unlocked in Toronto, go to the US and buy a SIM card from AT&T/T-Mobile.

GSM coverage: http://www.gsmworld.com/roaming/gsminfo/cou_us.shtml

Motorola SLVR L7: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorola_SLVR_L7

Seems like they're compatiable!

2) Buy a new phone, which means you have more options in terms of plans, pricing, and coverage. I've been looking at Cingular AT&T's plans because I've got an unlocked Nokia phone on Rogers right now, but the plans are pretty pricey and since Bee is on Verizon we might go for a family plan.

Edited by Nini & Bee

Here we go again...

9/4/2010 - sent!

9/14/2010 - NOA

Hi. Putting in my 2 cents .... based on my personal experiance, I would go with AT&T since they are GSM and it is also Global. You will get a free phone anyways with a new contract.

CDMA only works in North America. Also, I find Verizon has too many hidden charges, including for land lines. There are other better land line options.

Funny-quotes-Daffy-Duck.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Verizon does not use SIM cards.

My U.S. Verizon plan is good, and my Motorola does not have a card in it.

To transfer numbers you mate the two phones.

SpiritAlight edits due to extreme lack of typing abilities. :)

You will do foolish things.

Do them with enthusiasm!!

Don't just do something. Sit there.

K1: Flew to the U.S. of A. – January 9th, 2008 (HELLO CHI-TOWN!!! I'm here.)

Tied the knot (legal ceremony, part one) – January 26th, 2008 (kinda spontaneous)

AOS: Mailed V-Day; received February 15th, 2007 – phew!

I-485 application transferred to CSC – March 12th, 2008

Travel/Work approval notices via email – April 23rd, 2008

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Funny-looking card arrives – September 6th, 2008 :)

Mailed request to remove conditions – July 7, 2010

Landed permanent resident approved – August 23rd, 2010

Second funny looking card arrives – August 31st, 2010

Over & out, Spirit

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Ahh I just ended my deal with Rogers yesterday and i have been here for a while now.

They were going to charge me 400.00 to end my contract and I was like: "EXCUSE ME?" so my plan was to let t he bill go to creditors and then pay the creditors off right away. Yea I know stupid, but 400.00 to cancel a service? Give me a break!

Then I called yesterday to clear some stuff up and the guy said that he would only charge me 200.00 to cancel my service if I just paid my bill right then and there. DEAL!

Paid my bill and only had to pay the 200.00 and my credit isn't all flubbered.

Is flubbered a word? Well it is now!

Donne moi une poptart!

Ya, apparently in Feb this year sometime they increased their cancelation rate to $400.. so if any changes were made to your contract after then, you'd pay that much

when i called recently, they said they'd be charging me the $200 cuz I'm still on the old rate.

I'm still going to try and see if I can get them to veto it.. will cancel the day of my interview.

vj_sig-2-2_2.jpg

Keep in mind that you still have 30 days of cellular service after the day that you cancel your account. Damn Rogers -_-

Here we go again...

9/4/2010 - sent!

9/14/2010 - NOA

Timeline

Geeze, $400?! Outrageous. :angry: $200 is disgusting too. But that's about what it is down here to cancel your contract too. I hate cell phone companies! :ranting:

Anyway, as for Verizon vs. ATT, I had ATT back before Cingular, then stayed on for the merger. Never really had any problems with either of them, but I was frustrated that after the merger I couldn't make any changes to my contract without having to lose the great deal I originally had with ATT ($55 for 1200 minutes and free calling to Canada). I started looking around and found out that I get a better deal with Verizon through my employer, so I switched over. Haven't had any issues with Verizon and best of all they are the only company to provide service in the Metro. In anycase, I think which provider is best for you really depends on what area you are in.

But I still miss my North America calling plan. :cry:

canadaC.gif - Derek usaCa.gif- KJ

TIMELINE

Civil Ceremony - 02/19/2005

I-130 Mailed Out - 02/25/2005

I-130 NOA1 - 03/04/2005

I-130 Approved - 04/07/2005

Pay I-864 - 05/13/2005

Return I-864 - 07/22/2005 *We mailed in the wrong birth certificate which led to a month or so delay*

Family Ceremony - 10/22/2005

Interview in Montreal - 12/22/2005

Activate Visa - 12/25/2005

Move to Virginia - 04/06/2006

Mailed I-751 - 11/02/2007

Received in Vermont - 11/05/2007

Check Cashed by VSC - 11/09/2007

Received NOA 1 - 11/10/2007

Biometrics - 01/10/2008

Card production ordered - 09/10/2008

Card received! - 09/17/2008

Now on to citizenship...

Timeline
Geeze, $400?! Outrageous. :angry: $200 is disgusting too. But that's about what it is down here to cancel your contract too. I hate cell phone companies! :ranting:

Anyway, as for Verizon vs. ATT, I had ATT back before Cingular, then stayed on for the merger. Never really had any problems with either of them, but I was frustrated that after the merger I couldn't make any changes to my contract without having to lose the great deal I originally had with ATT ($55 for 1200 minutes and free calling to Canada). I started looking around and found out that I get a better deal with Verizon through my employer, so I switched over. Haven't had any issues with Verizon and best of all they are the only company to provide service in the Metro. In anycase, I think which provider is best for you really depends on what area you are in.

But I still miss my North America calling plan. :cry:

ya, we must have had a similar plan with AT&T! On one trip to DC, got a AT&T cell and was able to take it back to Canada and we spoke pretty much for free (just monthly bill) Was super. But verizon does give better coverage in the DC area, especially down in the metro. There are website out there that rate cel phone coverage for various cities, but I'm too lazy too search for them at the moment,lol

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.