tomtart

Desperately need to work

17 posts in this topic

If anyone can help on this I will be so grateful.....

I am a UK citizen married my US wife in UK in July 2004. I have recently entered US on K3 spousal visa and been issued with I94.

We were led to believe that I could work as soon as I entered the US. My wife is a singer / actress.

I need to be working immediately..... I have now been told that I have to file my AOS and EAD and it will take upto 90 days for this to go through.

Can anyone advise if there is a way that I can get EAD very quickly?

How long does this process REALLY take....???

If I cannot sort something out very soon my wife and I will have to seperate and I will have to return to the UK to work. With a K3 being a "one entry only" visa I do not know if our marriage will survive the time it will take to re apply....

Please, PLEASE, if someone can help me out here we are in urgent need of help

Thanks in advance

Richard

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

k3 isn't one entry only. you can enter as many times as you need.

and yes the wait is about 90 days, that's the fastest way i know of

May 31 2007 I-130 - NOA1, pending at California Service Center

October 31 2007 APPROVED

June 13 2007 I-129 - NOA1, pending at California Service Center

October 31 2007 APPROVED

655376001193815188.gif

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I have not heard faster. Have heard stories of longer waits.

You aren't the first to have to wait to work. My husband took 5 months till the AOS came through so he could work and then another 2 to find a job.

I am still shaking my head at the comment that your marriage may not last the 90 days. Such optimism.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: Timeline

Sounds like you were given wrong info about working..... a K3 visa is not work authorized.. to get work authorized you need to file for EAD (employment authorization document) you can do this in two ways.... you can file for just the EAD and pay $340 for an EAD that is valid for the remainder of your K3 or you can file for EAD along with AOS and pay $1010.00.... both options will take about 90 days to be approved... then you will be able to get a SSN and then start working....

The K3 visa is a multi entry visa and is good for 2 years so if you do have to return home you can use it again to come back to the US....

Kez

k3 isn't one entry only. you can enter as many times as you need.

and yes the wait is about 90 days, that's the fastest way i know of

Thanks for that....

I was told that I could not leave the US and come back again on the K3....

Do I need any other documentation to leave and return or can I just leave, hand in my I94 and get issued with another on my return???

Thanks again for your help

Rich

OP did not say his marriage would not last 90 days (the wait for EAD if he is lucky). He was thinking that K3 is a single entry visa, we will leave US to work in UK, then have to reapply for a visa (CR1 or K3 again) to re-enter US. We know that the wait for either of these is quite long, and getting longer with each passing second. If you just completed a wait for K3 then had to do it all over again, I think many of us would be devasted.

Richard,

K3 is multiple entry as valticp said. Apply for AOS and EAD, then return to work in the UK. You can come and go as needed for the 2 years your I94 is valid. You should easily have your EAD by then and be ok. You don't need any additional documentation to re-enter. K1s are single entry, not K3.

Cheers.

You aren't the first to have to wait to work. My husband took 5 months till the AOS came through so he could work and then another 2 to find a job.

I am still shaking my head at the comment that your marriage may not last the 90 days. Such optimism.

03/12/2007 - Married to my beautiful wife

04/16/2007 - Sent I-130 to VSC via USPS Express Mail

05/12/2007 - NOA1 received by snail mail after a loooong wait

05/14/2007 - Sent I-129F for K3 to Chicago Lockbox via USPS Express Mail

10/22/2007 - I129F APPROVED (161 days), I130 APPROVED (188 days)

11/08/2007 - I129F received at NVC, embassy case number generated.

11/13/2007 - I129F forwarded to embassy.

11/18/2007 - 129F petition received at embassy

01/09/2008 - finally, DOS gives me the interview date, April 16, 2007 (ouch)

01/23/2008 - never got packet 4, emailed embassy

04/11/2008 - picked up packet 4, did medical

04/14/2008 - medical report pickup, no problems

04/16/2008 - interview date- APPROVED!!!!!

04/18/2008 - both of us are home at last, POE JFK!

05/21/2008 - sent AOS and EAD

05/27/2008 - received NOA1 for AOS and for EAD

06/02/2008 - received Biometrics appt letter

06/19/2008 - Biometrics appointment scheduled - DONE

06/19/2008 - both AOS and EAD touched because of biometrics

07/29/2008 - EAD approved.

05/13/2009 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!/ Card production ordered email

05/18/2009 - Welcome Letter received

06/12/2009 - Second card production ordered email

06/19/2009 - Approval notice send email

06/22/2009 - Green Card received

04/09/2012 - Applied for Citizenship by Express Mailing N400 to NBC

04/10/2012 - N400 received by USCIS

06/23/2012 - Biometrics appointment

07/27/2012 - Appointment scheduled for N400 interview

09/05/2012 - Interview passed, oath ceremony completed, and Naturalization certificate received.

Hi there

Thanks for your reply....

we are in desperate straights...... we have been going through Visa "hell" for 3 years......

After the US Consulate lost my papers twice.... it has taken this long to get the K3..!!!

We are always optimistic and try to look at the positive side of everything.....

after so much trouble related to getting both my visa here and my wife's to the UK....

It takes it's toll........ we know we will get through all this, but we are getting lost in the beauracracy and red tape and this has come as a slap in the face after being told that I could work and we would finally be able to put this all behind us and move on.......

Thanks again

Rich

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Only way a person entering the country on a K-3 can work is to wait for EAD, it can take up to 90 days to get that.

If a person considering K-3 is needing to work ASAP, they should consider NOT do the K-3 and just pursue the CR-1/IR-1 visa (Just filing the I-130 and forgetting filing the I-129F) CR-1/IR-1 is an immigrant visa that gives the visa holder a green-card upon entry to the USA allowing work. And no status to adjustment (AOS) needed.

This subject came up last week.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...c=90617&hl=

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
OP did not say his marriage would not last 90 days (the wait for EAD if he is lucky). He was thinking that K3 is a single entry visa, we will leave US to work in UK, then have to reapply for a visa (CR1 or K3 again) to re-enter US. We know that the wait for either of these is quite long, and getting longer with each passing second. If you just completed a wait for K3 then had to do it all over again, I think many of us would be devasted.

Richard,

K3 is multiple entry as valticp said. Apply for AOS and EAD, then return to work in the UK. You can come and go as needed for the 2 years your I94 is valid. You should easily have your EAD by then and be ok. You don't need any additional documentation to re-enter. K1s are single entry, not K3.

Cheers.

Oops. You are right. Multi-tasking this morning was not working for me.

Sorry OP!

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Why not have your wife work until you are able to work? I know you said she is an actress/singer, but if she can't find steady employment doing that... why doesn't she put that on hold and get a steady job in another field until you are able to find employment yourself?

I would hope that she would put her relationship with you ahead of her acting/singing career.

.png

K-1

4/8/2006 - Met online (Lisa in Orlando, Spencer in London)

10/1/2006 - Met in person (Orlando, Key West, Georgia, St.Maarten, St. Thomas and Nassau 10/1-23/2006)

10/18/2006 - Got engaged (somewhere between St. Maarten and Florida)

10/23/2006 - Sent I-129F

10/30/2006 - TSC received I-129F

11/3/2006 - NOA1

11/8/2006 - Touched

11/18/2006 - I-129F was sent to CSC

1/14/2007 - Lisa goes to London & Tenerife to see Spence 1/14-28/2007

1/26/2007 - NOA2 approval!

1/28/2007 - Touched

2/14/2007 - Packet 3 arrived

2/21/2007 - Packet 3 sent

3/01/2007 - packet 4 arrived

3/14/2007 - Medical

3/28/2007 - Interview - APPROVED!

5/4/2007 - POE - Orlando, FL

5/18/2007 - Wedding Day!

5/21/2007 - Apply for SSN

5/29/2007 - Receive SSN in mail

6/27/2007 - Received FL Drivers License!

AOS

6/6/2007 - Mail in packet

6/13/2007 - Received in Chicago

7/20/2007 - Tfr to California

9/28/2007 - APPROVED!!!!!

EAD

6/28/2007 - Moved to MSC

9/4/2007 - Received the EAD in mail as a surprise!

AP

6/28/2007 - Moved to MSC

8/29/2007 - Received the AP

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I am a UK citizen married my US wife in UK in July 2004. I have recently entered US on K3 spousal visa and been issued with I94.

We were led to believe that I could work as soon as I entered the US. My wife is a singer / actress.

I need to be working immediately..... I have now been told that I have to file my AOS and EAD and it will take upto 90 days for this to go through.

If I cannot sort something out very soon my wife and I will have to seperate and I will have to return to the UK to work. With a K3 being a "one entry only" visa I do not know if our marriage will survive the time it will take to re apply....

Thanks in advance

Richard

We just filed for EAD without an approved P2 for I-130

Even went through Biometrics just to be denied..........

Reason given was no approved I-130 for K3.......

Timeline

Thanks in advance

Richard

K-3 is a pain in the ASH on many levels. What is the hold up on the I-130?

little white guy where is your timeline? Curoious as to your timeline. Yours: http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/profile.php?id=20268 :time:

Edited by YuAndDan

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Sounds like you were given wrong info about working..... a K3 visa is not work authorized.. to get work authorized you need to file for EAD (employment authorization document) you can do this in two ways.... you can file for just the EAD and pay $340 for an EAD that is valid for the remainder of your K3 or you can file for EAD along with AOS and pay $1010.00.... both options will take about 90 days to be approved... then you will be able to get a SSN and then start working....

The K3 visa is a multi entry visa and is good for 2 years so if you do have to return home you can use it again to come back to the US....

Kez

Kez

Can you leave and return on a 3 WITHOUT filing for either the EAD or AOS???

Ideally I think we would file the EAD only, then I would go back to blighty and work for a while until that's been processed and then return to the US to work...... then later down the line file for the AOS...

Thanks

Rich

Thanks in advance

Richard

K-3 is a pain in the ASH on many levels. What is the hold up on the I-130?

little white guy where is your timeline? Curoious as to your timeline. Yours: http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/profile.php?id=20268 :time:

Thanks

I have the K3 and have entered the US, staying with wife's folks in NJ.

It took nearly 3 years to get the K3 as we originally filed from LA then had to move back to UK and work, re-filed as they lost papers at US consulate.... then had to do it again as they lost everything a 2nd time...!!!!!

Now I am here, we have used nost of reserve getting the K3 and getting my wife's status in the UK as we couldn't be in the US.... now we find that we have to shell out another $1100 just for me to work..... and it's going to be at LEAST 3 months.... it just seems to go on and on..... I am at the end of my rope with immigration.........

Any help is more than welcome......

Anyone know of any ex-pat communities in NJ (north)????

Thanks again

Rich

Timeline

Kez

Kez

Can you leave and return on a 3 WITHOUT filing for either the EAD or AOS???

Ideally I think we would file the EAD only, then I would go back to blighty and work for a while until that's been processed and then return to the US to work...... then later down the line file for the AOS...

Thanks

Rich

You could file for the EAD, and return to UK, the K-3 is a multi entry visa. Another thing you may do is file for AOS and EAD together. the fee paid for AOS includes the cost of EAD. Your will then get EAD or may just get green-card.

Keep in mind a few weeks to a month or so after filing EAD and/or AOS you will be required to attend a Biometrics appointment at the USCIS office in the states that has jurisdiction over your residence.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.