Ethan808

Financial Support - Started Work Mid year

16 posts in this topic

My fiancee and I are getting prepared for her interview, and we are getting really worried about the documents for Financial Support.

We met while we were both living in Japan. I moved back to the US in April of last year. I need to earn $19,600 to meet the 125% guideline. My tax return shows only $18,000. If you consider that is only 9 months and prorate it out, it is well over the amount I need. Will they consider that?

I am working crazy overtime now so I can actually show a pay stub that shows I have earned $40k so far this year. Do they look at ANYTHING other than that Tax Return Transcript?

Also double checking... I need to count her when I do my family size right? I would have enough for 1 person, but 2 people is what needs the $19.6k

Thanks for your help!

Ethan

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Last years return is fine, it shows working, and include a letter from employer stating what you make and should make THIS year, as well as several paystubs, the numbers on the paystubs when doing some math will give a good estimate of what will be made THIS year.

On the I-134, put the salary amount that you should make this year as your income.

You should be fine.

Amounts in bank accounts are counted as assets, and assets only count as 1/3 of income. So if income is 1000 short of the poverty line then 3000 in assets are needed to make up the difference.

Edited by YuAndDan

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
My fiancee and I are getting prepared for her interview, and we are getting really worried about the documents for Financial Support.

We met while we were both living in Japan. I moved back to the US in April of last year. I need to earn $19,600 to meet the 125% guideline. My tax return shows only $18,000. If you consider that is only 9 months and prorate it out, it is well over the amount I need. Will they consider that?

I am working crazy overtime now so I can actually show a pay stub that shows I have earned $40k so far this year. Do they look at ANYTHING other than that Tax Return Transcript?

Also double checking... I need to count her when I do my family size right? I would have enough for 1 person, but 2 people is what needs the $19.6k

Thanks for your help!

Ethan

Your current income is more than sufficient. I would annualize that figure and use it on the I-134, then document it with pay stubs and an employer letter. Of course, include 2006 tax return but the stated income on the I-134 can be more "current than that". No need for it to match.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Great advice. Thanks a lot! I did nothing but work, so I managed to save enough that I could make up that gap if they look at my bank account. I didn't know I could document savings.

Just to check, I'm submitting a I-134 and a I-864 with it right?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

HI,

Im in a similar sort of situation. My fiance and I met in South Africa and I just moved back and got a job in July. After researching it here on this forum more, I decided that it would be best if we got another person to also sponsor my fiance. I make enough money, but havent been working that long and have no assets. I read about people getting turned away from the interview for not having the two years of tax returns (I read it more than once). To be safe, we've decided to get my dad to sponsor him as well as myself. I hope this helps. Best of luck to you.

For two people it should be 13,690 * 125% = 17,112 :thumbs:

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Great advice. Thanks a lot! I did nothing but work, so I managed to save enough that I could make up that gap if they look at my bank account. I didn't know I could document savings.

No. You submit neither form with the petition. The I-134 goes to your fiance near interview time and the I-864 is filed with AOS after she's here.

Since you haven't filed the petition yet, you'll probably file 2007 taxes before the affidavit is needed.

Please fill in your timeline.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

I-134 for NON-Immigrant K-Visas, I-864 is for GREEN-CARD, CR-1/IR-1 (IMMIGRANT visas)

This form is used at the consulate at the visa interview, and is not needed at this time when filing a petition for a Visa.

The guides here spell out exactly when is needed in the petition. Affidavit of support is not one of the things needed in the petition.

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Timeline
HI,

Im in a similar sort of situation. My fiance and I met in South Africa and I just moved back and got a job in July. After researching it here on this forum more, I decided that it would be best if we got another person to also sponsor my fiance. I make enough money, but havent been working that long and have no assets. I read about people getting turned away from the interview for not having the two years of tax returns (I read it more than once). To be safe, we've decided to get my dad to sponsor him as well as myself. I hope this helps. Best of luck to you.

Some consulates wont accept a co-sponsor like the Philippines.

I-134 for NON-Immigrant K-Visas, I-864 is for GREEN-CARD, CR-1/IR-1 (IMMIGRANT visas)

This form is used at the consulate at the visa interview, and is not needed at this time when filing a petition for a Visa.

The guides here spell out exactly when is needed in the petition. Affidavit of support is not one of the things needed in the petition.

This is probably what is making me all confused :help:

We are doing a K-1 visa, but you better believe she is immigrating! She is going to move here, live here, everything. Why do they call it a K-1 NON-immigrant visa? I'm starting to think I'm doing this whole financial info thing wrong.

Timeline

We are doing a K-1 visa, but you better believe she is immigrating! She is going to move here, live here, everything. Why do they call it a K-1 NON-immigrant visa? I'm starting to think I'm doing this whole financial info thing wrong.

K-Visas are NON-Immigrant visas that have immigrations intent, they are handled by the immigrant visa unit at the consulate, but must use I-134 like other NON-Immigrant visas. Also K-visas do not need vaccinations done before getting the visa due to the NON-Immigrant status of that visa.

After a K-Visa holder enters the USA they Marry and adjust status as with K-1/2 visa, They are adjusting status from NON-Immigrant to Immigrant by using I-485 and I-864. K-3/4 can adjust status also, or as was the origional intent of the K-3 they can visit while waiting for their CR-1/IR-1 immigrant visa interview at the consulate.

Immigrants get green-card upon entry, no adjusting required, so immigrants need to be vaccinated before getting the visa, and need to use I-864 affidavit of support. I-864 is used for the GREEN-CARD, either at the consulate for the Immigrant visa, or when adjusting status from NON-Immigrant to Immigrant.

K-Visas are NON-Immigrant visas that have immigrations intent, they are handled by the immigrant visa unit at the consulate, but must use I-134 like other NON-Immigrant visas. Also K-visas do not need vaccinations done before getting the visa due to the NON-Immigrant status of that visa.

After a K-Visa holder enters the USA they Marry and adjust status as with K-1/2 visa, They are adjusting status from NON-Immigrant to Immigrant by using I-485 and I-864. K-3/4 can adjust status also, or as was the origional intent of the K-3 they can visit while waiting for their CR-1/IR-1 immigrant visa interview at the consulate.

Immigrants get green-card upon entry, no adjusting required, so immigrants need to be vaccinated before getting the visa, and need to use I-864 affidavit of support. I-864 is used for the GREEN-CARD, either at the consulate for the Immigrant visa, or when adjusting status from NON-Immigrant to Immigrant.

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. I guess she will be getting the vaccinations here after she arrives. I think you have to do some medical tests to get a marriage license anyway.

Timeline
Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. I guess she will be getting the vaccinations here after she arrives. I think you have to do some medical tests to get a marriage license anyway.
Most states dont require medical tests for marriage, and have not in years.

If you do get the vaccinations done in the states, get them done by a family doctor or county health department, this is far less than if you have a civil surgeon do the vaccinations.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

Thanks for your help!

Ethan

If you can get a copy of the W-2 from last years job, it would have your date of hire on it. I think you can get the w-2 copy from the IRS (same form as tax transcript request, I think). This with a letter stating your were hired mid-year along with the last 6 months of pay stubs would be sufficient.

Yes, you need to count your fiance as a member of your household. So just you and her would be 2.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.