Haplo

having et req

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

They do say that, but my guess it must be a very strong evidence of that, and good explanations for them to accept, or else they´ll flatly deny your application.

(Puerto Rico) Luis & Laura (Brazil) K1 JOURNEY
04/11/2006 - Filed I-129F.
09/29/2006 - Visa in hand!

10/15/2006 - POE San Juan
11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY
01/05/2007 - AOS sent to Chicago.
03/26/2007 - Green Card in hand!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY
01/26/2009 - Filed I-751.
06/22/2009 - Green Card in hand!

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
06/26/2014 - N-400 sent to Nebraska
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics
10/24/2014 - Interview (approved)

01/16/2015 - Oath Ceremony

*View Complete Timeline

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline
They do say that, but my guess it must be a very strong evidence of that, and good explanations for them to accept, or else they´ll flatly deny your application.

ah. cool. I got a letter from our local islamic center. so it should be good. ^__

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

You can try to file to be exempt from not meeting your fiancé when it comes to religion/culture... But be you must keep in mind that USCIS is aware of countries/cultures where it is unacceptable for the bride to meet the groom before marriage. Did your parents arrange the marriage? They're going to want some good evidence. I'm honestly not sure how well the letter will be from a local islamic center... because... in islam (to the best of my knowledge) there is nothing that restricts the prospective bride from meeting the groom before marriage... many islamic families allow them to meet, under the supervision of parents....however, private meeting before the marriage is not acceptable...

I've never seen a waiver for the meeting requirement be accepted for financial reasons.

If you don't have the money to travel to your fiancé(e)s country, how do they expect you to be able to support your fiancé(e) once he or she gets here? Traveling overseas to meet your partner is a financial obligation we all must go through.

This website may help...

http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/lawsregs/adm...c3/d6/index.htm

This is the site for : Fiancees and Fiances of U.S. Citizen (K-1) - Section 101(a)(15)(K) of the I&N Act

In a nutshell it shows people who tried to waive or get around the meeting requirement... and several other things..

I'm not trying to be negative towards you at all... I'm honestly a cheery person... but I'm trying to give you advice to save you the headache of having to do the paperwork...

I would honestly hate to see you do all the paperwork, pay the $170 fee... to be denied...and that you'll have to do it all over again.. and pay the fee again. I'm not going to tell you that you will be denied, but you would have a difficult time proving it..

Hope this helps.. and keep us updated please (F)

Edited by iceyspots

Filed: Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

Not finances. Extreme hardship for meeting in person is VEEEEEEEEEEEEERY hard to prove. One of 100 cases may be aproved. My advice is dont waste money and time for applying with extreme hardship, do everything possible to meet in person.

Not finances. Extreme hardship for meeting in person is VEEEEEEEEEEEEERY hard to prove. One of 100 cases may be aproved. My advice is dont waste money and time for applying with extreme hardship, do everything possible to meet in person.

It could take an year and more and the petition will most possibly be denied.

Timeline

Cat that's kinda what I was trying to say... I'm not saying his case is impossible... but... if he is going to use religion as his excuse for not meeting in person... there is a great possibility they may deny it... there are many petitioners and beneficiaries coming through the ME/NA who have met their fiancé in person, where the beneficiary or petitioner is muslim..

Timeline

I'm not sure if the particular culture there prohibits the groom from meeting the bride before marriage... but I do know that religiously (these are the grounds that the petitioner is trying to use, that's my assumption), there is no prohibition in islam for the woman to meet the man before marriage, but meeting in private before marriage is prohibited.

look around in the ME/NA forum.... there are many islamic couples there who are filing for K-1 benefits...

myself included.

Timeline

yes... it's best to save the $170 and the hair-pulling for the papers... but.. maybe the OP has more information about the totality of the case that may shed some more light on the situation... but I'm only giving him/her information based on the information he/she provided :P

Filed: Timeline

Haplo,

I know of one fellow whose I-129f was approved without him having met his fiancee. On the basis of religious and cultural issues. She was from Pakistan, I believe.

The guy posted to the Usenet newsgroup <alt.visa.us.marriage-based> at least a year back, maybe 2 years. Everyone thought he'd get denied and were greatly surprised when it went through. Don't remember his name, but try a Google search for the topic and maybe you can find his posts.

Yodrak

they todl me if you have proof that you cannot meet due to religion, finances etc. idt can be waved. anyone every do this.

thecat,

Interesting statistic. Where did you find it?

Yodrak

.... Extreme hardship for meeting in person is VEEEEEEEEEEEEERY hard to prove. One of 100 cases may be aproved. ...

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Haplo,

I know of one fellow whose I-129f was approved without him having met his fiancee. On the basis of religious and cultural issues. She was from Pakistan, I believe.

The guy posted to the Usenet newsgroup <alt.visa.us.marriage-based> at least a year back, maybe 2 years. Everyone thought he'd get denied and were greatly surprised when it went through. Don't remember his name, but try a Google search for the topic and maybe you can find his posts.

Yodrak

How could you forget farhan?

That was a bit of a shaky deal, IIRC. If I were me, I wouldn't use that as a template for success (not that Yodrak suggested that it is).

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Lack of finances is NOT an acceptable reason for not meeting in person - I know because we tried to get a visa when we first got engaged and the immigration people opened my husband's packet, read it through, laughed at it, and sent it back to him! We were very lucky in one respect though - they did NOT charge him for the application... maybe because he was doing charity work (which was why he couldn't afford plane tickets to fly halfway around the world!) or just because they got such a good laugh from his application :(

Karen - Melbourne, Australia/John - Florida, USA

- Proposal (20 August 2000) to marriage (19 December 2004) - 4 years, 3 months, 25 days (1,578 days)

STAGE 1 - Applying for K1 (15 September 2003) to K1 Approval (13 July 2004) - 9 months, 29 days (303 days)

STAGE 2A - Arriving in US (4 Nov 2004) to AOS Application (16 April 2005) - 5 months, 13 days (164 days)

STAGE 2B - Applying for AOS to GC Approval - 9 months, 4 days (279 days)

STAGE 3 - Lifting Conditions. Filing (19 Dec 2007) to Approval (December 11 2008)

STAGE 4 - CITIZENSHIP (filing under 5-year rule - residency start date on green card Jan 11th, 2006)

*N400 filed December 15, 2011

*Interview March 12, 2012

*Oath Ceremony March 23, 2012.

ALL DONE!!!!!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline
I'm not sure if the particular culture there prohibits the groom from meeting the bride before marriage... but I do know that religiously (these are the grounds that the petitioner is trying to use, that's my assumption), there is no prohibition in islam for the woman to meet the man before marriage, but meeting in private before marriage is prohibited.

look around in the ME/NA forum.... there are many islamic couples there who are filing for K-1 benefits...

myself included.

depends on the sect and the practices of the family. I cannot go to iran. i alredy got the letter from a person who is not only the head of the centerbut has good relations with the goverment. so. it si a none issue really.

Lack of finances is NOT an acceptable reason for not meeting in person - I know because we tried to get a visa when we first got engaged and the immigration people opened my husband's packet, read it through, laughed at it, and sent it back to him! We were very lucky in one respect though - they did NOT charge him for the application... maybe because he was doing charity work (which was why he couldn't afford plane tickets to fly halfway around the world!) or just because they got such a good laugh from his application :(
you do know that. if you wanted to meet, assuming, yoru family allows this. it is not simply the cost of you going to see them. you have to meet in another country. py for not only her, but the two family members who will accompany her. Your self and yoru family. so you wil be payign for at least 5 plane tickets. 3 hotel rooms. So you can meet in person , say hi then go back and refile? that make any sence to you?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.