Carlawarla

Driver's License

39 posts in this topic

Well, I've been driving on my Saskatchewan Driver's License, awaiting my GC as I didn't want to get it earlier, and have it expire on me. So, I phoned DMV to ask what I needed to do, and they advised a road sign recognition test and vision test. I'm like....ALRIGHT!! :dance:

So on Friday, Gene had the day off, and I thought he should go with me, because I'd have to surrender my DL from SK and if I didn't pass something, I'd be SOL for getting back home here!

So off we go...I'm armed to the teeth. I have my SSN (in my married name), GC, passport, marriage license, utility bill to show residence...think that's about it.

Well, I go and tell them what I'm there for, and find out I need to take a road sign recognition test, a vision test, AND a written exam ANDDDDDDDD a driving test!!!!! :o

I am NOT a happy camper! I'm almost 50 years old, and the last time I had these tests was when I was 16! :hehe:

And it so happened that the car we came in to the office, was the one that Gene uses all the time (I've only driven it about 3 times since I've been here). I usually drive the 1/4 ton, and it's standard. Gene's car is automatic. *sigh*

But now I'm really freaked!! :( What if I don't pass?! Then I went from being freaked to angry... In all the years I've driven, I've never had an accident, or a ticket even! But that doesn't matter...I've never had a US DL so I have to do all of this....

Anyway, (what a saga eh?) I passed everything!

Had a horrible HORRIBLE picture taken for my license :hehe: And received a temporary license at the office. My REAL license will come after they've checked my SSN and greencard out she said. Whatever the heck that means!

I told my kids this story back in SK and they laughed and laughed. They said they knew I'd pass...but thought it was funny that I had to go through all of that.

Carla (F)

carlahmsb4.gif

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Strange, Was told the same thing... I need to do the written test too and the eye examination but they waive the road test if I have a valid Ontario Drivers license and surrender it/ However all I need is 2 forms of ID and a valid I-94 to get a drivers license.

AOS

Filled : 2007-09-17

NOA : 2007-09-25

Biometrics : 2007-12-13

EAD card prod : 2007-12-13

Job Offer : 2007-12-18

EAD card prod : 2007-12-18

EAD approved mailed : 2007-12-21

EAD in Hand : 2007-12-24 (Awesome Christmas Present)

Applied for SSN : 2007-12-26

SSN arrives in mail : 2008-01-05 (Happy New Year)

Start work :2008-01-15

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

u should have moved to VA, simple exchange of drivers license! Even kept my motorcycle endorsement. Congrats, not sure I could pass a written and a driving test,lol

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yeah every state does it dsifferently. When I got mine years back, I walked into the DMV at the mall at one of their booths they used to have set up. Handed over my Ontario licence, did a vision test and then got my Colorado licence right there. Too about 15 mins total and most of that was just waiting on my licence to print out...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
u should have moved to VA, simple exchange of drivers license! Even kept my motorcycle endorsement. Congrats, not sure I could pass a written and a driving test,lol

hehehe me neither! Fortunately I only had the vision test, and had to give them my NS DL card.

Congrats Carla on getting your DL!! :)

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I have to do the whole exam too. I'm not very happy about it.

I picked up a book to study for it. I'm waiting to get my SSN before I go and do it though.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I've never even had a driver's license but I do have a state ID. Anyway as for the checking your SSN and GC, some State DMVs (not all) check for legal presence so they need to run the EAD or GC through "SAVE" just like the SSA and they also check the validity of your SSN.

When I went to get my state ID, the lady was super nice until I showed her my forms of ID and then her attitude totally changed... (Canadian passport, EAD). Didn't know ####### that was all about except she either didn't like Canadians or any immigrants... geesh.

Er, where was I. ANYWAY... congrats Carla and hopefully you'll get your "real" DL in the mail soon. :)

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

In Illinois I went with my EAD. I took the written test and the eye exam, but they handed me the real license right away and gave me back my Quebec license...

Why can't they have the same way for each state??? I understand they don't have the same laws, but to the point where one has only to exchande the DL and the other has to do all the tests.......that's absurd!

But anyways, Congrats Carla!!!!!

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2faws.gif+3dflags-canqc1-1.gif3Dflags

Removal of Conditions: GC received on 09/17/2009

Application to replace permanent resident cards filed 3/30/2019 (I-90)

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

That sucks!!!!! North Dakota is a simple exchange.....thank goodness. I have a Class 1 (CDL down here) and I don't think I could do that test again. I have confirmed with them on a number of occasions that I won't have to take a semi out for a drive...lol. I haven't drove in years. I just like knowing that I can if I have to!

Not sure why every state/province just can't be the same?!?!? :wacko:

Oct 1/09 - I-751 package sent

Oct 3 - package delivered

Oct 5 - NOA mailed

Oct 13 - 1st NOA received and additional letters for my daughters I filed with. NOAs stated Resident Status

has been extended for 1 year and that we will be receiving a letter for an ASC appointment for

fingerprints, photo, and signature.

Dec 2009 - Received 10 year permanent resident card.

Feb 2010 - My children received their 10 year permanent resident cards.

Oct 2010 - My children were legally adopted by my USA Citizen husband.

Timeline

I just had to take my driven test in CA. Didn't need proof of anything. I just had to show my passport and I got a DL.

Current Status
July, 2011 - US Citizen

Timeline

I think it's simply silly to have Canadians re-taking road tests considering some of us go through graduated licensing programs! In Ontario I had to get my G-1, then my G-2, then a G. Each had tests and with each i paid more and more money (and the prov. government laughed all the way to the bank). So why, when the rules of driving, including signs, are practically identical, do Canadians have to get re-tested in some states is beyond me.

I can't get my NJ driver's license until I'm ready to register my vehicle (it will happen soon) so I don't know what I'm going to have to do besides providing many forms of ID like a GC. All I know is it will be a sad day when I remove my ontario plates :(

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Timeline
I think it's simply silly to have Canadians re-taking road tests considering some of us go through graduated licensing programs! In Ontario I had to get my G-1, then my G-2, then a G. Each had tests and with each i paid more and more money (and the prov. government laughed all the way to the bank). So why, when the rules of driving, including signs, are practically identical, do Canadians have to get re-tested in some states is beyond me

Agreed 100%. BC has the L and N and Class 5 system. I had to go through that nightmare then I had to take a road test here. Felt like I was teaching the driver with me (who looked younger than I) how to drive. Passed flawlessly.

I can understand testing those who are new to cars, but UK/Most Euro/Canadians?

Current Status
July, 2011 - US Citizen

Congratulations, Carla! Woohoo!

Heh, having to take another road test would bring back traumatic memories. I hit a parked car parallel parking the first time I took mine when I was 17. How embarrassing is that? I had to take it again driving something a lot smaller than my parents' enormous 1970-something Impala.

K1

10/02/2007 ~ Sent I-129F to CSC

2/27/2008 ~ NOA2!!! (148 days)

5/27/2008 ~ Interview --- APPROVED!!

5/28/2008 ~ Visa in hand (239 days)

7/17/2008 ~ POE Portal, North Dakota

7/26/2008 ~ Marriage

AOS

8/26/2008 ~ Sent AOS/AP/EAD to Chicago lockbox

9/18/2008 ~ Biometrics in St Louis

9/22/2008 ~ Transferred to CSC

11/05/2008 ~ AP/EAD approved (71 days)

1/20/2009 ~ AOS approved!!! (147 days)

1/29/2009 ~ 2-year GC arrived (156 days)

Removing Conditions

11/18/2010 ~ Sent I-751 to CSC

11/19/2010 ~ I-751 delivered to CSC

11/19/2010 ~ NOA1

12/10/2010 ~ Received biometrics letter

12/21/2010 ~ Biometrics in St Louis

12/29/2010 ~ Touch

1/04/2011 ~ Case status finally available online

2/16/2011 ~ Approved!! (89 days)

2/22/2011 ~ 10-year GC arrived (95 days)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.