Dr. A ♥ O

Need MENA guidance on some personal choices

Seeking Guidance  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Should I?

• Go to Egypt in Dec. for 6 months to be with my Husband till Fall Semester
    • Continue with school till I finsih and wait out the immigration process
    • Continue with school as planned and visit my Husband in Egypt this summer.
    • Go for "The Late Show" internship with David Letterman in NY City next summer.

34 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Morocco
Timeline

I agree, I would live abroad too, see if you can incorporate some independent study into it or something but Laura is right, I think it gets a lot harder as you get older to do something like that and it would be so cool.

Photo1949-1.jpg

5GTLm7.png

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

With any choice that you make, I think it would for the best that it's a choice that you both can live with. Considering what your major is, the internship sounds like it's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. I can only imagine the contacts and experience that you would get by doing that.

You could possibly be out of AP sooner than you think (let's hope so!) and Waleed could be here. As hard as it is to be apart, I think it's really crucial to consider those opportunities that you might not get again.

I do also agree with MBP about what a wonderful experience it is to live abroad.

You've got some TOUGH choices to make. I don't envy you one bit!

MoFlair.jpgbadsign.jpgfaris.jpgpassport.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
I would take advantage of any opportunity to live in another country in a heartbeat. So I chose #1 for sure, immigration and husbands aside even!

But maybe that's not as big of a deal for you -- you have an apartment in Moscow!?

Yeah Moscow, Idaho. I go to the University of Idaho and keep an apartment throughout the summer. www.uidaho.edu

:)

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

Timeline
What I would do, if you could figure out how to do it, is apply to the American University of Cairo and finish up your degree there. I know a couple people that have gone there and loved it. You could even just take classes that you know can get transferred to count towards your degree. My best friend finished up her degree in Scotland... you just have to make sure your current school will accept the credits so you actually get credits.

I lived with my husband for a year and went to school in Paris, but then had to come home to finish up in Boston. I wanted to finish school and he lived in a different country. At the time finishing school was priority #1 for me. But if you can figure out a way to make it work i think it would be an awesome experience :thumbs:

ETA I just realized i don't know if your husband lives in cairo, but that school is just an example of a place i know that americans have gone

Hmmm... I just got off the phone with Waleed and he's getting really excited about the 6 months thing. He said he has an offer from a pharmacutical company that says they'd give him a fulltime job after graduation and a car if your wife is coming. I told him your idea and he's going to look into the American University of Cairo. Our flat is in the 6th of October City which is where the University moved so that's a plus.

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
I would take advantage of any opportunity to live in another country in a heartbeat. So I chose #1 for sure, immigration and husbands aside even!

But maybe that's not as big of a deal for you -- you have an apartment in Moscow!?

Yeah Moscow, Idaho. I go to the University of Idaho and keep an apartment throughout the summer. www.uidaho.edu

Oh, LOL. I was picturing you with apartments all around the world!

Timeline

Oh, LOL. I was picturing you with apartments all around the world!

LOL! My husband told his Dad I went back to Moscow for the semester and his eyes got wide and his Dad asked "She's Russian?" As if he was confused. LOL

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

you do NOT want to live in Egypt for the summer.

I cannot stress that ENOUGH. Unless you will be coddled in totally reliable airconditioning 24/7 no amount of love in the world will overcome that kinda heat. TRUST ME. lol.

12/28/06 - got married :)

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

04/09/07 - I-130 and I-129F approval email sent!!!!

04/26/07 - Packet 3 received

06/16/07 - Medical Examination

06/26/07 - Packet 3 SUBMITTED FINALLY!!!!

07/07/07 - Received pkt 4

07/22/07 - interview consular never bothered to show up for work.

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

Timeline

If you have the chance to go to Egypt AND come back in time for the Letterman internship, totally do it. I'm 6 years younger than you and I didn't have that kind of opportunity because I left school at 21 and have been in the working world for 2 1/2 years soooooooooooo once you're in that it's so hard to break out! GO FOR IT!

Divorced. To hell with him.

It really is a hard decision. I keep thinking that if I didn't go to Egypt then maybe I never would but if I didn't finish school first then maybe I never would.

It is indeed a tough call but I agree with sarah. I would put the schooling & internship first; it will put you two in a better position in the long run.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Well not sure how much wisdom I have at 32...haha, however I voted to spend 6 months in Egypt w/ur hubby, that being said if I had the opporunity to spend 6 months or any period of time with my SO I would take it, because yes nobody knows how long this process can take......

however, I am sure you will make the decision that works best for you and will find support here whichever choice u make.....good luck w/ur decision! Melinda

“Hold on to the center and make up your mind to rejoice in this paradise called life.” ~ Lao-tzu

4374690_bodyshot_175x233_1205371236499.gif4572850_bodyshot_175x233.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
Well not sure how much wisdom I have at 32...haha, however I voted to spend 6 months in Egypt w/ur hubby, that being said if I had the opporunity to spend 6 months or any period of time with my SO I would take it, because yes nobody knows how long this process can take......

however, I am sure you will make the decision that works best for you and will find support here whichever choice u make.....good luck w/ur decision! Melinda

I would be tempted to wait it out with my SO as well, but I really think school is always #1 priority. I almost say wait it out because living in a foreign country is so different from visiting and sooo hard sometimes. I know 2 girls who went to egypt to be with their husbands and 1 hated it and couldn't wait to leave and the other says it's fine.... not great reactions IMO :) YET... on the flip side I am really happy I did live in a foreign country after the fact, for the cultural experiences and it has made me really appriciate being in my home country for so many reasons.

Really hard decision and sorry I'm not so clear on my opinion, that's why I didn't vote :) I guess in the long run I think you should look into working towards your degree in Egypt and apply for the internship and if you get it try to come back in time. I probably wouldn't be able to give up the chance to live with my habbibi if it was at all plausible :blush:

يَايُّهَا الَّذِينَ ءامَنُوا اسْتَعِينُوا بِالصَّبْرِ وَالصَّلَوةِ اِنَّ اللَّهَ مَعَ الصَّبِرِينَ

“O you who believe! seek assistance through patience and prayer; surely Allah is with the patient. (Al-Baqarah 2:153 )”

Hi!

If I were you I would make school my priority for now. You have done everything in your power as far as immigration goes and I think you just have to wait it out. I really think the best thing to do is to try to finish school or get through as much as you can before he gets here. Things might get hectic and it might be difficult to be a student during the first few months that your husband is here. If you can visit him during the summer than that's great but like I said I think school is the priority. I also think that you should definitely go for the internship in NY. If you get it then that's a great experience and if not then you can go visit Egypt.

I know it's hard to think of now but he will be here eventually and I think it would be a shame to let an opportunity like your education or an internship in NY pass by to go to Egypt. HE will be here and you can spend every second together when he comes!

I definitely would take any opportunity to live abroad also but I don't know if I would put off going to school for it. I would probably wait until after. Sometimes when people stop school for a reason they never make it back. :(

I think Sarah is right about the school. It would be really nice if you could get as much school out of the way before he comes to live with you. That way, you will be that much closer to stabilizing yourself and getting a good/better job. The first few months will be rough, so you would benefit from preparing as much as you can right now.

Also, I think sparrow and Sarah are right that once you get into the workforce (usually fulltime), or step out of school for a while, you start moving away from returning. So, it may be harder to get back into the groove of things.

But, definitely don't burn yourself out on school and try to take the first available vacation that you have to go and see him for a while. (Even if it is in the summer! :lol: )

Now, I am curious. What should I vote for??? Cause I think you should go to see him, concentrate on school, and I also think that you could do both if you looked into the AUC and be back in time to possibly do the internship in NYC. ;)

Good luck, girl. (F)

bollywood.gifBolly5.gif

My brother, believe, if you wish, in a stone, but don't dare strike me with it. You are free to worship what you wish,

but others' beliefs do not concern you. - Wafa Sultan

qualitydisplaya1.gif11573404S-1-vi.gifdontbelieve-mufkin.gif

www.sparealife.org

www.lazyenvironmentalist.com

www.freerice.com

glitteryourway-a2b509eb.gif

Timeline

I cannot stress that ENOUGH. Unless you will be coddled in totally reliable airconditioning 24/7 no amount of love in the world will overcome that kinda heat. TRUST ME. lol.

Awe rough!

I'll ask him about the AC in the apartment for the summer. I know it's hot hot hot but I think I'm adaptable. I grew up in Texas after all and that's dash board melting, rearview mirror falling off windshield, people dropping like flies in their apartment type heat!

So far it's close between staying the course with school and/or going for the 6 months to Egypt.

My Mom just said stay on target with school because it will be difficult to focus when you're Husband is here and he is needing your attention all the time. She said to get as much school as possible out of the way. My Mom has big sway with me. Hmmm... (L)

Edited by OlivianWaleed

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

Does anyone know if egypt is like israel in summer in terms of heat? i LOVE that heat! its like a dry heat - not as humid. I love being crazy hot! I actually did yoga yesterday for an hour and a half in a 105 degree room so I guess I am a little nuts.

I voted letterman internship because it seems like a great opportunity. I did an internship and it resulted in a very lucrative career. I see what folks are saying in regards to the abroad experience but the way I look at it is if you are like me you might travel there often after he is living here. We go to israel usually one time per year. For 3 weeks and we have been doing that since 1999 - so cumulatively I have been living there 6 months! i know its not the same, personally i couldnt take 6 months straight w/ my MIL

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Well your situation is quite similar to what we went through. When we were still in the application process I often seriously considered moving to Morocco, I even had a good job ready and waiting. BUT I knew that I had to finish school and once Youssef came here it was going to be tough, as one of us needed to work. (again it might be a little different situation as your SO may be able to work as soon as he comes). Anyway, I stayed in school, went to Morocco for the summer and came back to finish and wait out immigration. I still had to finish my last semester when he was here, and honestly if I had much more than that to do it would have been very very hard. I don't regreat my decision, yes it was hard to be apart but I really feel like were in a better spot now for doing it this way. I think the suggestion to try to go to the AU in Cairo is a great one. Really I feel like if you are considering the 6month or it's an option you definetely need to look into. Plus just imagine your husband working all day and what are you doing? Sitting home with your MIL? I don't think I could take that for 6 months. When you actually move there it's a lot different then just a visiting trip you know? Life has to take place not just chilling out and site-seeing. I too think the internship is a great opportunity but honestly there will be others. That's a big move for you, and if he's coming then I think the financial and just logistical strain would be big (unless you're considering staying in NYC afer the internship. OK that's my 2 cents.

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.