PfcsBaby

Changing mine and my sons last name??

5 posts in this topic

Hey y'all,

I had a few questions about changing mine and my sons last name after me and my fiancee get married. I know I can have my name changed pretty much right away after we get married, but what about my son? My son is not my fiancees biological child, and his real father is not on the birth certificate. I know my fiancee has to adopt my son in order to change his last name to his, but how is this done? We'll be moving to Georgia if that makes any difference. We'll be getting married at the court house and when we have more money, we'll have a traditional ceremony in the future. Also, with changing our last names, does that effect the AOS? What I mean is, can we change our last names before we file that, or does our last names have the be the same as what they are now on the file? If we can both change our last names before we file the AOS, do we have to get new SS#'s before we file for it? Sorry I have so many questions and sound like a rambling idiot lol, I just want to know what I need to do before hand, that way we can be prepared. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Mary

Here's my K-1 Timeline:

October 2006 - I-129F sent

10/24/2007 - INTERVIEW DATE!!!!!....APPROVED!!

10/30/2007 - Visa in hand!

AOS Timeline:

1/30/08 - Sent AOS pkg Priority Mail with USPS

3/12/08 - Biometrics taken

3/29/08 - EAD and AP in hand for me and my son

5/21/08 - Email-GC on its way!...RFE for my son's application

5/27/08 - GC arrives!!!

7/02/08 - Sons GC arrives!!!

ROC TIMELINE

3/23/10 - ROC sent!

3/29/10 - NOA1

4/22/10 - Biometrics Appt for me and my son

6/30/10 - Email saying card production ordered for me and my son

7/6/10 - Letter in the mail saying cards will arrive within 60 days

7/10/10 - Both cards received!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

OMG my head is spinning :lol: you poor thing :wacko:

Sorry I'm of no help :blush:

2006/11/29 : I-129F Sent

2006/12/12: I-129F NOA1 (Receipt)

2007/02/22: I-129F NOA2 (Approved)

2007/03/06: Package Left From NVC

2007/03/21: Rec Instructions (Pkt 3)

2007/03/27: Pkt 3 sent to Montreal Consulate

2007/03/28: Pkt 3 rec. @ Montreal Consulate

2007/04/12: Entered into system

2007/04/19: Medical

2007/07/25: Phone call, interview Aug/Sept. Email, at least 6 months for interview

2007/08/01: Phone call, 5-7 months

2007/08/08: Phone call. INTERVIEW

2007/08/16: Interview letter arrives.

2007/09/03: My baby girl leaves for Trent University

2007/09/12: Interview@8:15 APPROVED

2007/09/19: Visa received in hand

2007/10/08: POE Sarnia/Port Huron

2007/10/09: Home

There could be the issue of the non-custodial parent giving authorization to the adoption. You might try googling adoption requirements for Georgia.

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: Other Timeline

You can "assume" your new husband's name as soon as you're married, your child however cannot change his name until either you change it legally (there is a legal process to change a name, where adoption would not be necessary, at least there is in Canada), or your new husband adopts him.

You'll need to speak with an adoption lawyer in Georgia to find out what the process is.

As for your SSN, no you will not need new numbers, just a new card after you chang your name(s).

Your AOS can be completed with your new name, your son's will have to be in his existing name, and then you'll have to change it after the adoptoin/name change process is completed.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

LOL Tinker. My head wont stop spinning until all this waiting is over. Thanks for your support though. Thank you Reba. I'm going to let my fiancee know this tonight when I talk to him. Once we get down there we can look into all that for my son. Now thats 1 thing checked off my "stressed out to-do list" LOL. :blink:

Mary

Here's my K-1 Timeline:

October 2006 - I-129F sent

10/24/2007 - INTERVIEW DATE!!!!!....APPROVED!!

10/30/2007 - Visa in hand!

AOS Timeline:

1/30/08 - Sent AOS pkg Priority Mail with USPS

3/12/08 - Biometrics taken

3/29/08 - EAD and AP in hand for me and my son

5/21/08 - Email-GC on its way!...RFE for my son's application

5/27/08 - GC arrives!!!

7/02/08 - Sons GC arrives!!!

ROC TIMELINE

3/23/10 - ROC sent!

3/29/10 - NOA1

4/22/10 - Biometrics Appt for me and my son

6/30/10 - Email saying card production ordered for me and my son

7/6/10 - Letter in the mail saying cards will arrive within 60 days

7/10/10 - Both cards received!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.