slim

Easy Border Crossing, Eh?

23 posts in this topic

I've been quiet for a few days because I was away for the weekend in Niagara Falls, ON, Canada. Very nice and lovely place. I highly recommend it to anyone wishing for a romantic getaway with their sweety. Since this question has propped up a time or two in this forum, I'll go ahead and post, it's still no sweat getting back and forth between the U.S. and our Northern Neighbours. All that's required (for a normal border crossing - driving through the lane) is a Green Card. The only thing the border guard asked was that my wife verbally verify her country of citizenship, and that could've been because the country of birth still says USSR. Easy as gravy on French Fries.

I'd also like to remind everyone that sometimes police check speed from aircraft and even when you slow down way in advance of the police cars way up ahead, it's too late, the bird already got you. $150 later, I share my story. (But don't worry, I'll be fighting this one in court. "There were so many cars on the ground, how could they be sure it was me?")

Happy Trails.... and back to the grind of living the Dream.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

I've been quiet for a few days because I was away for the weekend in Niagara Falls, ON, Canada. Very nice and lovely place. I highly recommend it to anyone wishing for a romantic getaway with their sweety. Since this question has propped up a time or two in this forum, I'll go ahead and post, it's still no sweat getting back and forth between the U.S. and our Northern Neighbours. All that's required (for a normal border crossing - driving through the lane) is a Green Card. The only thing the border guard asked was that my wife verbally verify her country of citizenship, and that could've been because the country of birth still says USSR. Easy as gravy on French Fries.

I'd also like to remind everyone that sometimes police check speed from aircraft and even when you slow down way in advance of the police cars way up ahead, it's too late, the bird already got you. $150 later, I share my story. (But don't worry, I'll be fighting this one in court. "There were so many cars on the ground, how could they be sure it was me?")

I always wanted to go see Niagara Falls... Maybe one day...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I'm happy for you :) I'm also sorry for the speeding ticket. And I am also jealous, cause we can't go to Canada - hubster doesn't have a passport, and he won't be able to get one for another year if not longer. Or can USC's still travel to Canada without a passport?

Filed AOS from F-1
Green Card approved on 01/04/07
Conditions removed 01/29/09

Citizenship Oath 08/23/12

Or can USC's still travel to Canada without a passport?

No passport is required for USCs entering Canada via auto or ship. (Aircraft it's required.)

It is recommended to have proof of citizenship like a birth cert. or something of that nature with you although it's often not required to be shown. For the American/Russian couple, all that's necessary is to drive through the border with a state ID and a Green Card. Want to fly? Fly to Buffalo or another border town on the U.S. side, rent a car and drive across. No passport required in that case.

We each had our documents just in case but weren't required to show them at either border.

If you've always wanted to see it.... go see it! It really wasn't too expensive of a trip.

I rented a car and drove up - rental plus gas was about $300 total.

We stayed in a Motel 6 - jacuzzi suite - $350 for the whole three-night weekend.

Food and Fun were several hundred bucks, but we splurged a little, and we could've cut corners a little more but didn't.

To see the Falls on a budget, it could be done easily for $500 from just about anywhere within a day's drive. To get a pretty good vacation for a couple days, $1000 is going to cover you quite nicely, and for $1500, you're going to be in some luxurious surroundings and enjoying nice meals. For those that live outside a day's drive and would need to fly, tack on the cost of airfare to the above totals. Not too bad for a long weekend getaway.

For some really nice surroundings, check out Niagara on the Lake. There were some really nice B&Bs in this 250-year-old settlement. It's about 20 minutes away from the Falls and a lot less touristy. Good for those with "significant assets acquired." For those without, the Motel 6 was actually pretty nice.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

No passport is required for USCs entering Canada via auto or ship. (Aircraft it's required.)

Correct, they do if they are travelling by air. Right now until September 30th, exceptions are being made due to long processing times -- you have to provide proof that you have applied for the passport and they will let you on the plane (with other photo ID, of course). By January 1 of next year, a USC will need a passport to travel to Canada by land, air and sea.

Edited by Cassie

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Well, we were thinking of going to Vancouver by car, but it may not be happening this year :( I guess we'll have to wait till hubby gets a passport.

Filed AOS from F-1
Green Card approved on 01/04/07
Conditions removed 01/29/09

Citizenship Oath 08/23/12

• 2 weeks later...

Is it just me or are you flexxing there?

Thom n Elena

Arrived Grand Rapids 12/13/06

Finally Home

Married 12/28/06 Husband and Wife finally

AOS

Card Received 7/23/07

Aleksandr arrives 8/29/07 7 lbs 19in

ROC

Filed April 21, Received NOA May 5,2009

Biometrics 7/7/2009

Biometrics Cancelled 6/29/09

Reschedule 7/22/09

Biometrics complete only 2 people in office wifey done in 15 min

Letter received New LPR Card in 60 days WOOHOO!!!!

LPR Card Received

My wife and I have talked about taking the train from grand rapids to toronto. My folks made the trip many years ago and toronto has a nice mass transit, Plus National Hockey League Hall of Fame. Canada is great I just wish they would stop sneaking into michigan and putting their money in our vending machines.

Thom n Elena

Finally Home

AOS

Card Received 7/23/07

ROC

Biometrics 7/7/2009

Reschedule 7/22/09

LPR Card Received

We tried to buy something at the pharmacy yesterday but the cashier was on it, "NO CANADIAN DIMES!"

Really, they should take them now, the Loonies are 1-1 with the old Washingtons. I guess vending machines would get kind of messed up though, not being as keen as a pharmacy counterperson.

Русский форум член.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Correct, they do if they are travelling by air. Right now until September 30th, exceptions are being made due to long processing times -- you have to provide proof that you have applied for the passport and they will let you on the plane (with other photo ID, of course). By January 1 of next year, a USC will need a passport to travel to Canada by land, air and sea.

Just a quick correction here . . . you still won't need a passport to travel to Canada by land as long as you have proof of citizenship- however, as early as June 2008 you WILL require a passport to return to the US by land as well. It is the US who is making this ruling, not Canada.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

And just for the sake of clarity here.... if you're going to Mexico, you don't need squat.

Coming back, you better have EVERYTHING!

Русский форум член.

And just for the sake of clarity here.... if you're going to Mexico, you don't need squat.

Coming back, you better have EVERYTHING!

Except Mexican nationals hidden in the trunk

Thom n Elena

Finally Home

AOS

Card Received 7/23/07

ROC

Biometrics 7/7/2009

Reschedule 7/22/09

LPR Card Received

It is recommended to have proof of citizenship like a birth cert. or something of that nature with you although it's often not required to be shown
Just to clarify, Proof of citizenship is required to enter Canada. You may not have been asked for it but if you do not have proof of citizenship you could be refused entry into Canada. The best proof of citizenship is a birth certificate or passport.

Just an update....

I went to court the other day and of course, the Trooper was there. Why was he there? Because he's a Trooper, not some bunk-@$$ local beat cop. Anyway, to make a long story short, I copped a plea deal with the prosecutor and pleaded guilty to a simple speeding charge and ended up getting only two points on my license (instead of four) and having the fee suspended. I still had to pay court costs which from what I can tell are going to be about $75. So, I saved about $75 and two points off my license. I had to drive about 3 hours (total) pay for gas, parking, leave work early (use vacation time) and appear in court twice (which isn't always the safest place for a smart-@$$ like me to be talking to people.) All told, I don't really know if I got a good deal or not. I was satisfied though because even though I didn't get out of paying the ticket, I at least didn't just get the ticket and pay the fine. I kind of fell like "I fought the law and the law..." didn't win. Nor did I, but I think we reached a pretty fair compromise.

Side notes:

There was a gentleman there before me who was from an African nation. The judge told him "You are a bad driver sir. Now you're not allowed to drive anymore and if you do drive, not only could you lose your residency status, but you could just get free room and board on your way out. FOR ONE WHOLE YEAR!!! Think about that before you drive a car again." I don't know if that was an offer....

The judge thanked me after my case for "dressing appropriately for court." (I was suited and booted.) I honestly believe putting a tie and a jacket on (and even shaving that stubbly bulls#it off your face) can mean the difference between getting a good deal or not. When they see the cast of the Jerry Springer show in front of them trying to fight their fourth driving on a suspended license charge all day long and then you show up wearing a suit, it's pretty easy for the judge and assistants to say "sure, we'll work with you on that."

I'm not a "suit and tie" kind of guy, but there are two places where I wouldn't be caught without a tie. Appearing in court is one of them.

Русский форум член.

There was a gentleman there before me who was from an African nation. The judge told him "You are a bad driver sir. Now you're not allowed to drive anymore and if you do drive, not only could you lose your residency status, but you could just get free room and board on your way out. FOR ONE WHOLE YEAR!!! Think about that before you drive a car again." I don't know if that was an offer....

That is ridiculous we cant throw people out of the country for driving bad unless of course we start sending our home grown bad drivers to countries that dont like us to begin with, ummm say Iran or anywhere in South America,if we send them there noone will notice they drive horribly in SA.

I'm not a "suit and tie" kind of guy, but there are two places where I wouldn't be caught without a tie. Appearing in court is one of them.

Whats the other one your funeral? Or the mens room in the minneapolis airport :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thom n Elena

Finally Home

AOS

Card Received 7/23/07

ROC

Biometrics 7/7/2009

Reschedule 7/22/09

LPR Card Received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.