lynnmatic

Activating CR1 Visa at US Border

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi,

I am the USC, and my Canadian Wife has Her CR1 Visa packet ready to activate. Problem is, I am taking time off right now from my job in the US, and am staying in Canada with my wife for the next few months.

Her Visa package expires in November, and I want to get it activated at the border now. If we just go to the nearest border crossing, in this case Coutts/Sweetgrass in Montana, will there be a problem getting the package opened and the visa put in Her Canadian passport and stamped, even though I am not at present at my US address?

Thanks,

Lynnmatic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

a Cr-1 is a multiple entry visa. Many canucks head to the nearest POE, activate it to get the paper work rolling and turn around and head back to Canada. As long as u have a USA mailing addy, u should be fine. Of course one can't stay in Canada for too long.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
a Cr-1 is a multiple entry visa. Many canucks head to the nearest POE, activate it to get the paper work rolling and turn around and head back to Canada. As long as u have a USA mailing addy, u should be fine. Of course one can't stay in Canada for too long.

No and yes. The CR1 is single entry visa. It dies once it is used. However, the I-551 stamp that goes in the passport upon entry acts like a temporary green card until the actual green card arrives in the mail sometime later. The stamp, like the green card to follow, signifies permanent resident status US permanent residents can re-enter the US as often as they like.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

No and yes. The CR1 is single entry visa. It dies once it is used. However, the I-551 stamp that goes in the passport upon entry acts like a temporary green card until the actual green card arrives in the mail sometime later. The stamp, like the green card to follow, signifies permanent resident status US permanent residents can re-enter the US as often as they like.

Edited by all for my love

Timeline
Hi,

I am the USC, and my Canadian Wife has Her CR1 Visa packet ready to activate. Problem is, I am taking time off right now from my job in the US, and am staying in Canada with my wife for the next few months.

Her Visa package expires in November, and I want to get it activated at the border now. If we just go to the nearest border crossing, in this case Coutts/Sweetgrass in Montana, will there be a problem getting the package opened and the visa put in Her Canadian passport and stamped, even though I am not at present at my US address?

Thanks,

Lynnmatic

As an update:

I called the Sweetgrass, Montana port of entry and spoke to an officer there. He was very nice, but said my wife would not be able to leave the US until we got permission from US Immigration......I think He is under the impression we have been married less than two years and have to get the Conditions removed. We have been married nine years, so that should not apply to Her, should it?

And how could the US keep a Canadian Citizen from re-entering Canada?? That is not up to the US side, in my opinon.

I will call again and speak to someone else before we travel 600 km to the border to get this done.

Thanks for all the good responses!!

Lynnmatic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Hi,

Thanks,

Lynnmatic

As an update:

I called the Sweetgrass, Montana port of entry and spoke to an officer there. He was very nice, but said my wife would not be able to leave the US until we got permission from US Immigration......I think He is under the impression we have been married less than two years and have to get the Conditions removed. We have been married nine years, so that should not apply to Her, should it?

And how could the US keep a Canadian Citizen from re-entering Canada?? That is not up to the US side, in my opinon.

I will call again and speak to someone else before we travel 600 km to the border to get this done.

Lynnmatic

Hi Lynn,

They may be confusing it with a K visa.

BTW the CR-1 visa = married under 2 years - IR-1 visa = married over 2 years.

Good luck :)

Timeline
Hi,

Thanks,

Lynnmatic

As an update:

Lynnmatic

Hi Lynn,

I stand corrected....we do indeed have an IR1 visa, you are right.

Lynnmatic

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Hi,

Thanks,

Lynnmatic

As an update:

Lynnmatic

Hi Lynn,

I stand corrected....we do indeed have an IR1 visa, you are right.

Lynnmatic

Then the official you spoke to at the POE was simply wrong. The answer was true not for "K visas" but only for "K1 visas". Among the fiance or spouse visas we discuss here, K3 visas are the only multiple entry visas. C's and I's get a the permanent resident stamp on entry. K1 visa holders require advanced parole to re-enter the US.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.