dreamscometrue

Does Islam allow Muslim men to marry Christian women?

126 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Libya
Timeline
Catholicism is okay with it provided the children are raised Catholic,

Are there different sects of catholicism? The reason I ask is becasue I know this to be untrue in the case of the catholic church. My ex-husband's priest would never marry us in the church unless I converted to his religion because I was a pagan at the time and his brother married a budhist who also had to convert and take religion classes before the priest would marry them in the church.

Muslimwoman-1-1.jpg

99GEAq-6owA

We need a Ramadan!! (part one)

VP's Blog

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Libya
Timeline
has been fasting all day and is ready to pass out from thirst and hunger.

I think you may be exaggerating just a tad here... or you've obviously never fasted to know that it's really not that big of a deal. Plenty of us fast while we're working and we make it for 30 days without fainting once.

Muslimwoman-1-1.jpg

99GEAq-6owA

We need a Ramadan!! (part one)

VP's Blog

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Are there different sects of catholicism? The reason I ask is becasue I know this to be untrue in the case of the catholic church. My ex-husband's priest would never marry us in the church unless I converted to his religion because I was a pagan at the time and his brother married a budhist who also had to convert and take religion classes before the priest would marry them in the church.

I think it all depends on the diocese to be honest. Before I had converted I met with my priest to ask if Usama and I could get married in the Catholic church and he said it was ok but that our children would have to be brought up Catholic.

I think that Catholicism treats people of the Jewish faith and Islam about the same when it comes to being able to marry in the church since it does recognize that all three faiths stem from the same God.

From the Catechism of the Catholic church:

841 The Church's relationship with the Muslims. "The plan of salvation also includes those who acknowledge the Creator, in the first place amongst whom are the Muslims; these profess to hold the faith of Abraham, and together with us they adore the one, merciful God, mankind's judge on the last day."

http://www.kofc.org/publications/cis/catec...1&ParType=a

12/28/06 - got married :)

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

04/09/07 - I-130 and I-129F approval email sent!!!!

04/26/07 - Packet 3 received

06/16/07 - Medical Examination

06/26/07 - Packet 3 SUBMITTED FINALLY!!!!

07/07/07 - Received pkt 4

07/22/07 - interview consular never bothered to show up for work.

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I worked for the St. Louis Archdiocese and currently work for Jesuit Priests. From what I understand, a priest will marry 2 Christians. Just as they accept baptism by other religions as long as they are baptized in the Trinity. There are very few religions that do not fall under these categories.

You DO NOT have to convert to Catholicism to marry in the Catholic Church, unless you are not considered a Christian.

Of course they are not going to allow a pagan to marry in the Church...completely against beliefs of the Catholic Church. Why would you even want to? Same with a Buddhist.....not a believer of Christ.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I worked for the St. Louis Archdiocese and currently work for Jesuit Priests. From what I understand, a priest will marry 2 Christians. Just as they accept baptism by other religions as long as they are baptized in the Trinity. There are very few religions that do not fall under these categories.

You DO NOT have to convert to Catholicism to marry in the Catholic Church, unless you are not considered a Christian.

Of course they are not going to allow a pagan to marry in the Church...completely against beliefs of the Catholic Church. Why would you even want to? Same with a Buddhist.....not a believer of Christ.

But then why do they allow Jewish and Muslims to marry in the Catholic Church since they don't beleive in the divinity of Christ either?

12/28/06 - got married :)

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

04/09/07 - I-130 and I-129F approval email sent!!!!

04/26/07 - Packet 3 received

06/16/07 - Medical Examination

06/26/07 - Packet 3 SUBMITTED FINALLY!!!!

07/07/07 - Received pkt 4

07/22/07 - interview consular never bothered to show up for work.

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

But then why do they allow Jewish and Muslims to marry in the Catholic Church since they don't beleive in the divinity of Christ either?

Here is what "Catechism of the Catholic Church" has to say:

Mixed marriages and disparity of cult

1633 In many countries the situation of a mixed marriage (marriage between a Catholic and a baptized non-Catholic) often arises. It requires particular attention on the part of couples and their pastors. A case of marriage with disparity of cult (between a Catholic and a nonbaptized person) requires even greater circumspection.

1634 Difference of confession between the spouses does not constitute an insurmountable obstacle for marriage, when they succeed in placing in common what they have received from their respective communities, and learn from each other the way in which each lives in fidelity to Christ. But the difficulties of mixed marriages must not be underestimated. They arise from the fact that the separation of Christians has not yet been overcome. the spouses risk experiencing the tragedy of Christian disunity even in the heart of their own home. Disparity of cult can further aggravate these difficulties. Differences about faith and the very notion of marriage, but also different religious mentalities, can become sources of tension in marriage, especially as regards the education of children. the temptation to religious indifference can then arise.

1635 According to the law in force in the Latin Church, a mixed marriage needs for liceity the express permission of ecclesiastical authority.135 In case of disparity of cult an express dispensation from this impediment is required for the validity of the marriage.136 This permission or dispensation presupposes that both parties know and do not exclude the essential ends and properties of marriage and the obligations assumed by the Catholic party concerning the baptism and education of the children in the Catholic Church.137

1636 Through ecumenical dialogue Christian communities in many regions have been able to put into effect a common pastoral practice for mixed marriages. Its task is to help such couples live out their particular situation in the light of faith, overcome the tensions between the couple's obligations to each other and towards their ecclesial communities, and encourage the flowering of what is common to them in faith and respect for what separates them.

1637 In marriages with disparity of cult the Catholic spouse has a particular task: "For the unbelieving husband is consecrated through his wife, and the unbelieving wife is consecrated through her husband."138 It is a great joy for the Christian spouse and for the Church if this "consecration" should lead to the free conversion of the other spouse to the Christian faith.139 Sincere married love, the humble and patient practice of the family virtues, and perseverance in prayer can prepare the non-believing spouse to accept the grace of conversion.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

in your experiences. others have conflicting experiences that render that generalization null and void. which is why some people consider generalizations to be useless, and of inflicting more harm than good.

Experiences vary in relevance and quality, too. If one's experience with Muslims and Islamic practice is relatively short and shallow, and not dealing much with substantive religious ideology, and/or you don't know much about it yourself, your experience doesn't have the quality of someone who has. So, not all experience is relative or equal.

well yr credentials above fail to impress me much when yr making such a broad generalization as "a lack of thinking has actually become a badge of honor among Muslims." we're a diverse bunch. are you basing this generalization on experiences with muslims from indonesia or nigeria? canada or kuwait? from NOI felons at leavonworth to pakistani neurosurgeons making $800,000 a year? i see potentials for huge variances of attitudes and experiences and theological status and learning amongst a group that diverse.

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps

has been fasting all day and is ready to pass out from thirst and hunger.

I think you may be exaggerating just a tad here... or you've obviously never fasted to know that it's really not that big of a deal. Plenty of us fast while we're working and we make it for 30 days without fainting once.

i'm on the fence with this one. yeah, for most of us it's not a big deal. life and work go on, even for doctors. there's an environment for obstetricians that's not really paralleled for any other group of people though, not even other doctors. OB's are forced to carry $100,000 + malpractice insurance premiums in a lot of areas. they get sued for millions of dollars (average ob settlement is 7 million in cases of maternal or infant death or grave injury) even when their actions have nothing whatsoever to do with the patient's condition or outcome. fasting could easily become a pretty serious litigation issue. there's more to it than just "fainting once".

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
in your experiences. others have conflicting experiences that render that generalization null and void. which is why some people consider generalizations to be useless, and of inflicting more harm than good.

Experiences vary in relevance and quality, too. If one's experience with Muslims and Islamic practice is relatively short and shallow, and not dealing much with substantive religious ideology, and/or you don't know much about it yourself, your experience doesn't have the quality of someone who has. So, not all experience is relative or equal.

well yr credentials above fail to impress me much when yr making such a broad generalization as "a lack of thinking has actually become a badge of honor among Muslims." we're a diverse bunch. are you basing this generalization on experiences with muslims from indonesia or nigeria? canada or kuwait? from NOI felons at leavonworth to pakistani neurosurgeons making $800,000 a year? i see potentials for huge variances of attitudes and experiences and theological status and learning amongst a group that diverse.

might i point out it's "leavenworth" that's the county, city, and the fort btw.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

You see potential for variance? That means you sense a possibility, but don't have much beyond that to go upon which to form an opinion. Check back in when you've done the work needed to comment beyond emotion. Then, maybe you'll impress me.

You see potential for variance? That means you sense a possibility, but don't have much beyond that to go upon which to form an opinion. Check back in when you've done the work needed to comment beyond emotion. Then, maybe you'll impress me.

sar·chasm ('sär-"ka-z&m) : The giant gulf (chasm) between what is said and the person who doesn't get it.

i'm not the one making asinine generalizations about a billion+ people. the burden of proof is on you, bigot. the word 'potential' was used sarcastically. of course there's going to be huge variances of attitudes and experiences and theological status and beliefs. did it occur to you to look at other things that may be motivating that kind of attitude amongst some people, like disparities in education, socioeconomic status, and other sociological factors that are far more influential in forming this line of thinking than, incidentally, being muslim? this certainly happens in all other beliefs and lines of thought, from buddhists to communists. some people are thinkers and others are dogmatic sheep. but i'd never go so far as to say something like "a lack of thinking has become a badge of honor among christians" because i'd (hypothetically) grown up with and spent extensive time with thousands of jerry falwell devotees and graduated from bob jones university. i wouldn't therefore think that qualified me as an expert on the state of christianity from sub-saharan africa to south korea. this is trash. it's unbelievable that there are really people like yourself who purport to be so well-educated and informed but stands by something as ridiculous as this huge generalization.

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

hmm, so now geg is a bigot? :blink:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

The local bishop has a lot of discretion, but C.'s not Catholic and we married, so it's definitely permissible under canon law. They really delayed his brother's marriage for over a year so he could convert? That's not right.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.